01

Learn To Love Again

 

My phone rings for the fifth time already but I continue ignoring it.

"Where are you going?" He asks as he walks into the room. I just smile while getting ready. "Hanging out with your friends?" I nod. He then comes closer to me and helps me with my shirt. "There." I look at the mirror. Honestly, I'm quite impressed with the way I look, as usual. "You look good, as always." He smiles.

"Thanks." I grab my phone and carkeys before hurriedly run to the door. "Don't wait for me." I slam the door close.

When I reach the club, I look around for the shortie guy. My phone suddenly rings again.

"Where the hell are you??" I shout at the phone.

"Upstairs." I look up and there he is, waving at me with a girl clinging onto him. I end the call and start walking towards Minwoo, and our dates for the night.

I barely make it home being drunk.  The second I press the first passcode, the door opens. He is looking at me worriedly. I push myself inside and run to the bathroom.

"I'll make you some tea." He says when he sees me squatting down in front of the toilet. When I think I'm feeling better, I get out and the smell of warm honey tea welcomes me. Instintively, I walk to the kitchen. "Just in time." I take a seat and he brings a cup of tea in front of me.

"Thanks." I mutter, slowly blowing the warm tea to cool it down. He just smiles.

 

 

One Sunday, weeks later, I get up late because of late night partying with Minwoo and Junjin. My head is too heavy, so I just lie in bed the whole morning. I notice my phone blinks a few times, I grab it to check the messages.

M: Yaa! Still asleep?? We have another party today!

K: Happy birthday man.

T: Happy birthday bro.

J: Hyung, happy birthday. Let's party again tonight.

Y: Oppa, it's your birthday right? Happy birthday.

H: Let's go out today, oppa. My treat.

C: Birthday boy, let's meet up.

I chuckle. Yeah, today is my birthday. That is why we had a party last night. Suddenly, a delicious smell tickles my nose. I get up and walk to the kitchen because my stomach is making noises. There he is, wearing a green-colored apron, cooking breakfast. But the table is already full. What else is he cooking?

"Uh you're awake?" I nod and take a seat. My stomach grumbles even louder when I see rice balls with lots of sesame seeds. "Seaweed soup is on its way. Specially made for the birthday boy." He sounds excited. Then he comes over to the table, bringing a pot of seaweed soup. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." I quickly take a spoonful to taste. "It's good." He smiles. He puts more food onto my plate as I start eating. "You're not eating?"

"You eat first." I nod and continue stuffing my empty stomach.

"What time did you wake up to cook all these?" He widens his eyes.

"Um a little earlier than usual." He says, still smiling. When I'm finished, he stops me from doing the dishes, so I go straight to take a shower. Minwoo is going to kill me if I'm late again.

I hear him still in the kitchen when I finish showering. I let him be and start getting ready. And my phone suddenly rings. I press the speaker button because I really need to hurry.

"Hello?"

"Happy birthday oppaaaaa!" Aishh. It's one of the girls I met at the party last night. Who the hell gave my number to her??

"Why are you calling me this early?"

"Oppa, let's go out."

"I have a date later."

"What about tonight?"

"Um I'll think about it."

"Oppa, don't think. Just say yes. It's my treat. And I'm bringing all my girl friends."

"All?" She giggles. "Okay. Same time, same place."

"Great. See you tonight Sungie oppa!" I hang up the call and I see him coming into the room. Ahh he must have heard everything.

"I'm going out, with Minwoo, and um Jinnie."

"Okay." He answers while going to the closet. He takes out a box and gives it to me. "Happy birthday Hyesungie." I smile and quickly open the cover. Inside, there is the shirt I've always wanted. And he gives me two pairs of it.

"Thank you Eric." I hug him. But when my phone rings again, I let him go. "I'll be late. Don't wait for me." He nods, and I selfishly ignore the sad look in his eyes.

 

 

Junjin and Minwoo are already waiting for me at the hotel lobby. I park my car and run to get them.

"Since it's your birthday, we let it pass." They must be angry for me coming late.

"How did you guys wake up so early?" I ask because from what I remember, they were more wasted than me last night.

"Um we have our own morning calls?" Junjin answers, grinning at Minwoo.

"You were with the girls from last night?" The two laugh seeing my shocked face.

"Hey it's not like we didn't invite you." Minwoo nudges my rib.

"Yeah hyung. A few of them asked us about you, because you kept rejecting them."

"You know I can't..."

"If you can't, act like you really can't. Why do you even meet the girls anyway?" I just sigh, I don't have any excuse to defend myself.

"Forget about it. Let's just have fun for today!" Junjin says when he sees my mood getting down. Minwoo then pulls me hard.

"We're here. Big boys party. When I say big boys, I mean business. So it up and give them your brightest smile." The door immediately opens when he finishes his sentence. And seeing beautiful girls in y dresses, I smile as my mood has returned.

 

"Eric, open the door!" I hear Minwoo shouts beside my ear. And seems like Junjin is knocking the door in front of us. In seconds, the door opens.

"Hyesungie." He calls, but I see him being pushed aside by Junjin. "What happened to him?" Eric asks when I feel like lying on the bed. I feel sleepy.

"He had too much to drink."

"We brought him to two, uh three functions. And a party. That's where he knocked out." Minwoo explains, making me giggles. "You. Sleep now. Don't skip work tomorrow!" He shouts at me, and I quickly cover my head with the pillow.

 

"He's asleep. Who is this?" I open my eyes when I hear his voice talking on the phone.

"Who is that?" I ask when he hangs up. The clock shows it is only 4 in the morning.

"No idea. They've been calling you hundred times already." I notice his face looks sad. "Are you hungry? I can fix something for you." He gets up from the bed, but I grab his wrist.

"Eric..." He is smiling when he looks at me. "Are you mad at me?" He shakes his head. "Why?" He widens his eyes. "Why aren't you even mad at me?"

"I don't think I should. As long as you're happy, I'm happy." He pulls away and exits our room. Seeing his retreating back, my heart feels weird. I think I feel guilty.

 

 

The clock strikes 10 when I wake up. And I know Minwoo is furious right now. I walk to the kitchen to get something to eat and I realize he isn't home. What should I do? I'm too lazy to cook. A note on the fridge catches my attention.

Andy's in town. So I'm meeting him, with Dongwan. Food is on the table. :)

I turn to see the table full with food. I start digging in until my stomach feels like exploding. He truly is a good cook. Why doesn't he try applying to work at a restaurant? With all the skills and knowledge he has, I'm sure no restaurant would turn him down.

After shower, I go to work. Even though the boss is my best friend, I still need to show my good attitude.

"You came." I grin at Minwoo. "Eric told me you slept in. I don't mind if you call in sick."

"I'm okay now. Besides, instead of being all alone at home, I better come to work."

"Eric's not home?" Minwoo asks when I take my seat.

"His brother is here. So he goes to see him with Dongwan."

"Are you sure it's only the three of them?" Minwoo's question suddenly makes me thinking. What if Eric is cheating on me? Nahh, he wouldn't do that.

"I'm very sure." I flash a smile and Minwoo then leaves me alone.

 

 

I go home a little later because Junjin asked me to go out for a drink. Luckily it was only for an hour.

"I'm home." I shout as I walk into our house.

"Hi Hyesungie hyung!" Andy runs to hug me. "I missed you so much." I ruffle his hair.

"I missed you too Andy. How are you?" I ask when he lets go.

"I'm good. I got a job at the restaurant two blocks from here. And I'm starting tomorrow!"

"That's great!!" I'm happy for him. He is such a good cook, just like his brother. "Oh where's Eric?"

"He's taking a shower. Hyung, you're hungry right? Eric hyung cooked your favorite food." Andy smiles at me and I'm intrigued. I walk into the room to change when I see Eric getting out from the bathroom. I gape seeing him with only a towel wrapped around his waist. Since when did he become this hot?

"You're home?" I just nod, still admiring what I'm seeing at the moment. And I think he notices because I hear him chuckle. "Take a shower first. Then we can have dinner." He whispers right at my ear. I know very well he's doing it on purpose. "Hyesungie?" I blink my eyes, and realize he's already dressed. Aishh. "Hurry." He says as he pushes me to the bathroom. And when I smell his aftershave inside the steamy bathroom, I immediately turn on the shower at its coldest temperature. Yeah, that's what I need.

 

After dinner, Andy and Eric seem to be discussing about something serious. My eyes are watching the tv, but my ears try to catch their conversation. Apparently, Andy is looking for a place to stay.

"Why don't you just stay here?" I interrupt and the two pairs of eyes stare at me.

"I don't want to disturb you two." Andy says.

"Nahh I don't mind. Besides, we do have an extra room." I can see Andy starts to smile.

"Hyung, Hyesungie hyung says yes. How about you?" He asks his brother, and his brother looks at me.

"Are you sure you want to let him stay here with us?" I nod, smiling at the two. "I guess, you can stay then." Andy immediately jumps excitedly. These two brothers are so adorable.

 

 

Since Andy is staying here with us, I notice Eric starts getting his smile back. Of course he was always smiling. But his smiles look good these past few weeks. And I feel good seeing him in his good mood. Because good mood Eric means good food for me. Haha.

"Why are you laughing?" Junjin's voice brings me back to earth. Ah I mean to the office.

"He's getting crazy." Minwoo whispers at Junjin.

"Hey I heard that."

"I know." Minwoo sticks out his tongue at me.

"I hear Andy is staying with you?" Junjin asks and I nod.

"Is everything okay now?" Minwoo asks.

"Everything is perfect. Why do you ask?"

"Does Andy know about your relationship with his brother?"

"Of course he knows. Why else would I invite him to stay in our house?"

"I know that. What I meant is about you and Eric getting distant." I freeze. I never thought about that.

"He seems happy when he talks to me, so I don't think he knows." I calm myself.

"What if he knows? What do you think he would do?"

"Yeah hyung. What if Eric hyung tells him about what you've been doing behind his back all this time?"

"Eric wouldn't tell Andy that."

"What if Andy finds out himself?" I admit what they're saying make sense.

"I don't know." Guilt starts to engulf me. What if Andy knows about me cheating on his brother? What if he then tells his parents? I'm sure they would separate us the moment they know the truth.

"Hyung?" I look at Junjin. "It's time." I look at my watch. "Time for a business meeting." Seeing the grin on Junjin's face, I know Minwoo has planned another mini party for us.

 

The party was great, as always. y girls kept on approaching me but I didn't have the mood to respond. Those questions from earlier are making my head out of place. I eventually gave up and apologetically excused myself to go home. And here I am, walking alone down the street with a cigarette in my hand. I pass by some fancy restaurants and I start to wonder where Andy is working at. Suddenly I see a couple sitting near the window of a restaurant, and it reminds me of my date with Eric months ago. Months ago... I sigh. I know I haven't spent much time with Eric. Even though he knows what I'm doing behind his back, he still stays with me. Why am I being such a jerk to a person as good as an angel?

I stop outside the restaurant to light another cigarette. When the man turns his head, I feel a sting in my heart. The man is smiling so sweetly at the girl next to him, and somehow they look good together. I want to run away from there but my feet couldn't move. I keep on staring at the couple until someone bumps onto me.

"Oh excuse me." I turn when I hear a voice. "Hyesung?" It's Dongwan. "Wahh Eric didn't tell me you would come too." I blink my eyes, trying to process each word spoken by Dongwan. "I thought I'm already late. Seeing you here, I'm sure they won't be mad at me. Come." Dongwan pulls my hand to go inside the restaurant. But I stop when we're at the door. "What?" I pull my hand away from Dongwan.

"I need to go home. See you." I run as fast as I could. I don't care where my feet are taking me. I just want to be far away from Eric, far away from the whole world. And soon I realize I'm only trying to run away from my own self. My guilty, sinful self.

 

 

My phone rings for I don't know how many times and I just ignore it. I don't want to talk to anybody at the moment. I need time to hate myself, to self-reflect. I... If only I could turn back time...

 

"Eric, I got the job I wanted!" He hugged me, happy hearing what I just said. "But it's at the main office. Which means, we need to move to Seoul."

We moved to Seoul two weeks before I started working. He even got us a beautiful luxurious apartment, saying it was the only house left available. I knew he was lying. The house was way too grand for an ordinary assistant marketing manager like me.

After almost two years, I got promoted and transferred to PR department. That was when I met up with Junjin, and eventually my boss, Minwoo. We became friends, and they always brought me along whenever they needed to attend dinner parties. Since then, I started to change. I always came home late, drunk, smelled like women's perfume, and all. But Eric still welcomed me home with a smile on his face.

 

Since we had moved to the big city, Eric sometimes seemed out of place. I guessed he just missed his peaceful hometown, and the small restaurant he had passed to his cousin. Andy was in college, and he would find some free time to visit. That was the only time I could see Eric smiling happily. I felt guilty. Was it my fault? Did he change because of me?

"Hyung, why don't you try applying for the chef position in this restaurant? I heard they're looking for one." I heard Andy said to Eric while showing him a magazine. I waited for Eric's response, and it took him around two minutes to answer.

"It's okay. I'm fine doing this online cooking class." I appeared before them, shocked after hearing what he had just said. The two brothers just stared at me. And when I saw the smile on Eric's face, I knew he did that for me.

"Why?" I ask him when Andy had left our house.

"Working as a chef is hard. The hours are inconsistent and I'm going to sweat a lot." He giggled.

"But you were a chef at your own restaurant before." I heard him sighed.

"That's my own place, so I could work however I want. Why are we talking about this anyway? I've told you not to worry about me. Now, sleep. You have a meeting tomorrow." He gave a peck and immediately turned his back on me. What have I done to this man?

 

"Eric..." My heart hurts; even if I cry as much as the river in front of me, I could never feel better. I made too many mistakes. I'm as good as being dead.

"Hyesungie!!" I hear his voice shouting my name. Ahh I must be too drunk already. "Hyesungie! Why are you here?" Someone is hugging me from behind. And the smell of that perfume gives it away. My heart breaks. "Let's go home." He tries to pull me to get up, but I don't budge. I don't want to go home. It isn't my home anymore. "Sungie..." He calls again, and my drunk self tells me he is crying too.

"Eric, you don't need me anymore. Just go. Let me stay here alone." He hugs me tighter.

"What are you saying?" Eric, please go, before I start begging for you to take me back.

"You have her right? You don't need me." He turns to face me as he cups my face. Ohmygod. Is this how he always look like? I curse myself when I realize I haven't seen his face this close for only God knows how long. He wipes my tears but he doesn't wipe his. I think it's cute. And I know I'm going to miss him badly once he leaves me. I close my eyes, telling him I don't want to see him leaving. But he kisses me instead. He kisses my forehead, my teary eyes, my nose, and my cheeks. When I don't feel one on my lips, I open my eyes. His face is too close, I feel like being into his beautiful eyes.

"Let's go home?" He asks once again. And seeing his lips moving to say those words, my heart beats crazily. He helps me get up from the riverside and pulls me towards his car. There, I see that girl, sitting in the backseat. "What's wrong?" He asks when I pull him away from the car, and he turns to look. "She's a good girl." What the hell is he talking about? I glare at the girl while Eric is still pulling my hands.

"Glad you found him!" Andy shouts as he runs towards us. And I look at him, confused. "Hyesungie hyung, I wanted to introduce you to her tonight but Eric hyung said she needs to go through him first before she can meet you. I don't know why." Andy chuckles at his brother.

"Because I know what Hyesung likes in a sister." Eric says, confident.

"What? What are you talking about?" I ask and pull Eric's hand to stop walking. He looks at me, his glistened eyes sparkle.

"She's going to be our sister-in-law. She needs to pass me first before she meets you."

"Why?" I'm too confused. And the amount of beer I had consumed earlier only made it worst.

"I don't want them to get married before we do." My wobbly legs give up, and I fall onto the ground. The car is just a few metres away, and I don't understand why is it so hard for me to get in. What the hell is wrong with myself? "Hyesungie, are you alright?" Then I remember Eric had said something about marriage. Who's getting married? "We are." He whispers, follows by a peck on my lips. I curse myself for the hundredth time for being drunk. But I need to let Eric know later, this is the worst proposal ever.