05

Learn To Love Again

 

Arriving at the Jeju airport, I feel lost. What am I supposed to do now? I try calling Eric; but even after three times, he doesn't answer at all. With a heavy heart, I bring our luggage out towards the taxi stand. I mention the name of the hotel to the taxi driver and he starts driving. Seeing the beautiful nature all the way to the hotel, it saddens me.

The hotel looks amazing. The sea is so close and I can't wait to see our room. The staff gives me the key and I rush towards the elevator. Just as I expected, the room faces the sea!

"Thank you Eric." I hope the wind delivers my words to him. Because it's already evening, I take a shower and call room service for dinner. I'm not hungry though. But in this notebook Eric had left, he reminds me to eat. I smile as I take another spoonful of the fried rice.

Then it hits me. I look again at the notebook. It seems like he already knew way earlier that he isn't leaving with me. Tears start welling up in my eyes for the umpteenth time today.

Lying on the bed, I send a message to Dongwan.

Do you know anything? If you do, please tell me.

After five minutes, I receive a reply. But it is from Andy.

Hyung, don't worry about anything.

How can I not worry about anything? I clutch my chest as it hurts so much. Oh Eric. What is going on?

 

I wake up when it is only 4am. I look around, hoping Eric is already here. But the darkness tells me otherwise. I lie back down to sleep when I notice my phone blinks. There is a text message from Eric!

Whatever happens, just remember that I love you.

OhmyGod. What is the meaning of this?? The past from years ago comes haunting me again.

 

 

[Flashback]

I was waiting for a client at the restaurant when a girl came to me.

"Hyesung-ssi." I looked up to see she was smiling. "I'm Yihyun." I immediately got up and pulled out the chair for her. We started talking about business. And since then, our relationship had gotten closer. We even had lunch together almost everyday. Minwoo and Junjin noticed this; they kept on teasing me, telling me to date her.

"Nonsense. We're just friends. And I'm very happy with Eric." They laughed.

"One day, she is going to have a big influence in your life." Minwoo said.

"She is now. She is a good client, and a good friend."

Weeks later, I was so busy partying with Minwoo and Junjin when I received a call.

"Hyesung oppa, can you come over for a moment? I have something to discuss with you."

It was Yihyun. I told my friends about it and left to the address she had given me. Turned out it was a hotel. We were just talking about business when she suddenly asked about Eric.

"Is he really a special someone in your life?" With a smile, I nodded. She seemed displeased, and I couldn't care less. It was already late so I excused myself to go home.

Then she called my phone again.

"Oppa, I like you."

"Are you drunk Yihyun?"

"But I'm telling you the truth." I just laughed and ended the call.

After a few weeks, Minwoo told me I had to go on a business trip. When I saw her there for the same trip, I felt hopeless. I knew I was going to be stuck with her all the time.

"Oppa! It's nice meeting you here." And the boring business trip started. I didn't enjoy myself at all. Once it ended, I was excited to go home because Eric had promised to take me on a vacation tomorrow. While waiting for check-out time, the girl called, asking me to come with her to a place, saying it was important. I followed her. Seeing what was waiting for me, I shouted at her.

"What the hell is this?!" She had prepared a candlelight dinner for us two, at another hotel that I soon realized belonged to her family.

"A dinner." She said as she took a seat. I just stood still, demanding explanation. "Come on oppa. Just a dinner won't hurt." I sighed. Looking at the time, I hoped Eric wouldn't be mad at me. We were eating in silence when she received a text message. I noticed a sly smile on her face, but I didn't want to care. Fortunately, I had finished my food in no time.

"I'm done. Can I go now?" Surprisingly, she got up and instructed her driver to send me back to the previous hotel where I parked my car. Although it was weird, I just went along.

 

It was midnight when I reached home. With a nervous heart, I pressed the passcode.

"Eric! I'm home!" I shouted as I walked into the house. But what welcomed me made me jumped in shock. "Eric! Eric!" I called him the moment I saw the mess. Seemed like someone had broken into our house. I rushed to the bedroom hoping to find him there. "Eric!" Suddenly I saw dimmed light coming from the bathroom. I swung the door opened. There he was, lying unconscious in the bathtub, soaking wet, with many candles on the floor. "Oh my God. Eric!" I shook his body but he didn't respond. I was at a loss. Then I noticed his phone on the sink; I took it and called the last dialled number. It was Andy's.

"Eric hyung. What else you wanted to tell me?" Andy giggled.

"Andy--"

"Hyesung hyung?"

"Eric... He's unconscious... At home... I don't know what to do... Help... Please..."

"Call the ambulance! Ahh I'll do it. Wait there. I'm coming over now." I dropped the phone and tried slapping his face, but still he didn't move a bit. I slumped on the floor beside the tub, crying my heart out.

A few minutes later, I heard someone knocking on the door. I crawled my way out to open the door, but the sound of someone pressing the passcode stopped me. The door opened, and many people came into our house. I looked for a familiar face; and when I saw Andy, I out.

 

It was a very beautiful morning. I woke up to see birds flying freely under the bright blue sky.

"Hyesungie, let's go." I heard Eric calling me. I turned and I saw him; dressed in all white, smiling handsomely under a tree.

"Where are we going?" I asked, but that smile still lingered on his face.

"To the place where no one would come between us." He said, reaching out his hand towards me.

"Is such a place exist?" I took a few steps closer, trying to grab his hand.

"Of course. Hurry. Or it would disappear." He smiled. I quickened my steps to reach him, but he seemed to fade away as I got closer.

"Eric, where are you going?" I ran to catch up with him.

"Hyesungie, you're too late." He then vanished into thin air. I fell on the ground, looking around the place. But everything faded away just like him. And I was all alone.

"Eric! Wait for me! Don't go! Don't leave me! Eric!" No one answered me. The beautiful morning had turned into a very dark night. And I knew no one would ever come looking for me.

 

"Hyung." The familiar voice woke me up from slumber. I opened my eyes, and I saw Andy staring at me. Dongwan was there too.

"I had a weird bad dream." I chuckled. "Where is Eric?" I pushed myself up and looked at the two.

"He is still in the operation room." My heart sank, recalling the scene where I found Eric in the bathroom. I tried to get off from bed, even though I didn't feel well. I needed to see Eric. "He is critical." I lost my grip and fell on the cold hard floor. "Hyung!" I cupped my face as my tears flowed down my cheeks. His last words came ringing in my head.

"You're too late."

"Hyesung, stop crying." Dongwan said and pulled me up to sit on the bed. "Be strong. He'll be fine."

"What exactly happened?" I asked. The two looked at each other worriedly.

"Seems like he was drowned--"

"What? The tub was empty!"

"The water was drained after he fell unconscious. Before that, he was beaten pretty badly."

"Why? Who would do such thing to him?"

"Maybe the robbers. I don't know. The police is still investigating. We'll find out soon."

Andy spent the whole day staying by my side, while Dongwan went to the police station. After a few hours, the doctor came to see us.

"Hyesung-ssi. You collapsed because of fatigue. You're clear to go home now."

"What about Eric?"

"His condition has stabilized. He iss recovering." The doctor then left.

Dongwan came later that evening, bringing updates from the police.

"It wasn't a robbery. No sign of forced entry. Did you notice if you lost anything?" I shook my head. "You need to go home and check."

"But--"

"Andy will stay here and keep us posted. Let's go." Andy nodded as I followed Dongwan home.

My heart broke when I stepped into the house. I carefully made my way around to make sure if anything was missing. I checked every drawer, cabinet, and the closet.

"Nothing is missing." I took a step back and stood at the foyer, trying to view the house as a whole. I cleared up my mind and reminded myself how the house looked like before I left for the trip. "Dongwan." He came and stood beside me. "A picture is missing." I pointed at the small gap on the shelf near the window. "A picture of four of us." We both looked around the mess to find the missing frame. But even after half an hour, we didn't find it.

"It still wasn't a robbery if only one thing missing." Dongwan concluded.

"Did the police clean up anything?"

"Nope. It's still under investigation. Why?" I walked around the house once again. There were no serious damages. Other than the missing framed picture, the supposed robbers were only throwing things on the floor, making a big mess. I  smirked.

"I think I know who did this."

 

Minwoo called me that night, reminding me to come to work tomorrow, but I told him I needed a week off. I didn't mention about what happened to Eric to him, or he would make it a big deal.

I stayed at the hospital the whole night after I had forced Andy to go home with Dongwan. Seeing Eric lying hopelessly on the bed, my heart cried nonstop.

"Eric, what happened to you?" I grabbed his hand and kissed it a dozen times. I wiped him with a wet towel, telling him stories, whispering sweet nothings to his ear, all just to make him wake up. That night, he visited me in my dream again.

"Hyesungie, I'd do anything for you."

"I don't want anything else. I just want you to wake up."

"It's a little bit difficult..."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure if I can..."

"You can. Just wake up!"

And once again, he disappeared into thin air.

 

Waking up to see his unconscious body made me lost all the reasons to live. Andy came early in the morning, bringing food for breakfast. He himself didn't have the appetite, but Dongwan ensured us to eat.

I went home after breakfast because they said I need to shower. Yeah right. Who would think of showering in the middle of this mess? As soon as I finished putting on fresh clothes, Andy called.

"Hyung is awake!" I rushed to the hospital. I walked to his room with my heart beating fast. I hoped he wouldn't be mad, wouldn't get angry. I hope he wouldn't hate me. Carefully I pushed the door opened with my eyes fixed on the ground.

"Hyesungie." His voice made my feet wobbled and I almost dropped onto the cold floor. I brought my gaze to look at him and he was smiling. "Come here." I ran to hug him. "I missed you babe." My tears fell. No words could describe what I was feeling at the moment. "Hey." He pulled away when he heard me sobbing.

"I'm sorry." He just smiled and wiped my tears.

"It wasn't your fault."

According to Eric, he was waiting for me to come home when he heard the doorbell. As he opened the door, a number of men came rushing in and started beating him. When he was already weak, they brought him to the bathroom and tried to drown him in the bathtub. I and Andy cried hearing each word coming from his mouth. He then mentioned one particular thing that confirmed my suspicion.

"I heard they spoke to someone named Kang." I smirked. Kang Yihyun, I got you now.

 

Eric was allowed to go home after two days.

"Wow. New interior?" He asked, and the three of us laughed. We were happily chatting when the doorbell rang, so I got up to answer it. I clenched my fists as I looked at the screen.

"Who is it?" Andy asked.

"Ah just some kids." I lied. Carefully I made my way out of the house to meet that person.

"Oppa!" She lunged at me but I pushed her away.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I shouted as I couldn't contain my anger anymore. If only she wasn't a girl.

"I went to your office to see you. But M oppa said you called in sick. So I thought I should come visit you."

"Go home. I don't want to see you anymore."

"What? Why? What did I do wrong??" She started cying.

"You asked me what you did wrong?? You have no idea huh?? He almost died! Go. I don't want to see you ever again."

"Oppa, what did I do? Tell me. Who almost died? I don't know anything." She held onto my hands, shaking them hard.

"Just go Yihyun. Before I use force--" The door suddenly opened, revealing Andy.

"Is this her?" He asked me, his eyes scanning her from top to bottom. "Is this the person that ordered those scumbags to beat the crap out of my brother?" I noticed her eyes shaking and her hands trembling. She looked at me but I looked away. "Please go."

"Hyesung oppa. What is he talking about? Who is this? Oppa, look at me. Tell me." She pleaded. I took a deep breath and brought her to the elevator.

"Just leave Yihyun. Don't come near me, or anyone of us ever again." I pressed the button. The second the elevator door closed, I saw her crying her heart out.

 

After a week, I went to work as usual. Junjin greeted me with a serious look on his face.

"Where have you been hyung?"

"Personal stuff. Why? Anything happened?"

"Minwoo hyung is going crazy. He's been looking for you--"

"Hyesung!" I jumped off my seat as Minwoo swung the door opened. "Hyesung, Hyesung, Hyesung."

"What is it boss?"

"You dare call me boss after what you have done??" I glanced at Junjin, completely confused over the situation. "Where have you been?"

"Personal stuff." Minwoo stared at me with his shrimp eyes.

"I thought I've made it clear that you can never abandon your duty being this company's employee? And you need to always be available whenever I need you?"

"Ah yes sir." I saw Junjin making funny faces behind our boss, and it made me giggled.

"What is so funny?" Minwoo asked, looking behind him. And Junjin had already turned back to his serious mode.

"It's just I missed hearing your laughter boss." And I knew it made Minwoo calmed down.

"Ahh you know how to please. We have a meeting, after office hour today." Minwoo left my office with a proud smile on his face.

 

We were waiting for our client at the club when I saw someone I didn't want to see coming towards us.

"Hi guys." She greeted and took a seat beside me. Looking at Minwoo and Junjin, I silently cursed them. She kept on talking about our project and I could see she was afraid to look at me. I just nodded to every word they said, hoping the meeting would end early. And it did.

"You keep her company. As a result for leaving the whole week. See you tomorrow." Minwoo said, both he and Junjin left the place before I even manage to protest.

"Oppa. Listen. I now know what you meant. I swear I didn't do anything. I only discovered about it last night. Trust me oppa. I had nothing to do with it."

"Really?" I was getting confused, what she said sounded sincere. But who knows? "Who did it then?" She seemed contemplating. Sipping her drink, she then looked at me with teary eyes.

"My brother. He found out that I like you and you rejected me. So he went looking for you. That's how it happened..." Her tears dropped.

"Means you still had something to do with it. Thanks Yihyun for telling me this. But it won't change the fact that I don't want to see you again." I got up and left the place.

[End of flashback]

 

 

The bright sunshine wakes me up from sleep. The clock shows it's already afternoon. I make my way to the bathroom to take a shower. Seeing my own reflection on the mirror shocks me. What time did I fall asleep last night?

After lunch, I walk around the hotel to look for something fun to do, holding Eric's notebook in my hand. He had listed many things that I should do while staying in this hotel, but I don't think I want to do them alone. After minutes of walking, I stumble upon the karaoke room. I look back at Eric's to-do list.

1. Eat delicious food.

2. Wear bright clothes.

3. Get out of the room.

4. Sing your heart out.

I spend three hours in the karaoke, singing to my heart's content. And now my throat hurts. I leave the hotel and go to walk on the beach, because that is what written at number 5 in the list.

Sitting alone facing the sea, the loneliness starts taking over. It is supposed to be the two of us right now, but there is only me. I hold the notebook to my chest.

"Where are you?"

My phone suddenly rings at the thought of Eric. What surprises me is it is a text message from him.

I'm right here.

With wide eyes, I look around the area, hoping to see him with his trademark grin looking at me. But he is not here. He is not even close.

 

Going back to the hotel, my stomach is already making weird noises. I walk past the dining hall but I don't have the mood to be around strangers. I just want to be alone. Once again, I call room service for dinner.

I just stare at the food when it arrives. I don't have the appetite to eat. I know Eric has written down the reminder, but now that he is not here, he wouldn't know right? I chuckle as I grab a tub of ice cream I bought at the mart. Eating ice cold dessert in front of the tv at night is heaven.

 

 

I wake up in the middle of the night because my stomach hurts. It must be because of the ice cream. I toss and turn on the bed, trying to make the pain go away. I try to look at the clock on the wall, that is when I hear noises from the living room. It sounds like someone is searching for something. My hands are trembling hard as I start dripping cold sweat. All I can hear now is my crazy heartbeat. I pull the blanket up to my head and force myself to sleep. I don't want to deal with this. Not now.