03

Learn To Love Again

 

"Hyesung, coffee for table 3." Donghyuk hyung shouts. I grab the coffee jug and run over to the said table. That is my routine for every morning.

It has been only a week since Eric left. Because I feel too lonely, I asked Eric's cousin if there's anything I can do at the restaurant. And he told me to be a waiter. I have sent my resignation to Minwoo, but he said he is going to put it on hold, and asked me to come to the office when I am feeling better. I wonder when I would feel better though.

Eric sometimes sends me text messages, telling me how much he misses me. But he isn't too lonely because Andy is still staying at our house. And he is supposed to come over today, so I prepare some food while waiting for him. His text message that evening disappoints me.

Really sorry, I can't make it. Love you.

The second week, I work on my paintings, if they could be called as paintings, on morning because it's the time I feel inspired. During lunch, I help Donghyuk hyung at the restaurant.

"Eric didn't come last week?" I just shake my head. "He must be busy, being a new staff there." I nod while arranging the seats. "Ahh someone came asking for you this morning. I told him I don't know you." I widen my eyes. "He's taller than me, quite a handsome young man." It must be Junjin. He even came here looking for me? How could they know I'm here?

 

 

Working alone in the cabin, I put on my headphone to enjoy listening to music. After an hour, I take a break to have a light snack, when I notice my phone is blinking. 7 missed calls from Eric. My heart stars beating fast; why did he call me at this time of the day? What if something bad happened to him? Then my phone rings again.

"Ahh Andy, what's wrong?? Why did Eric call me just now??"

"Just now?? Eric hyung called you?"

"Yep. He called me 7 times. But I didn't hear it."

"Hyung, actually, um..."

"What is it? Is there something wrong with Eric?"

"Eric hyung got an accident while working in the kitchen. He's in the hospital right now." The phone drops from my grip. "Hyung? Hello? Hyesungie hyung?" I pick it up and run out of the cabin. I don't know what else to do other than go back to Seoul to see him. He needs me now.

As I walk inside through the back door, I see a silhouette outside the front door. I carefully hide behind the kitchen wall and that person starts knocking on the door. Ohmygod. What if it's Junjin?

"Hyesungie... Open the door..." It's Eric! I run to open the door, and he smiles when he sees me. "My Hyesungie..." He hugs me. "I missed you so much." I bring him in and close the door.

"Eric, how long have you been here?"

"I don't know." He snuggles at my neck. "I called you but you wouldn't answer. I thought you were asleep."

"Sorry. I was in the middle of finishing a masterpiece back there." He giggles. "Why are you here?"

"I missed you."

"You came here alone?" He nods. "You took the train?" He nods. "In this condition?"

"Yes my dear." He starts pecking my cheeks.

"But you're supposed to be in the hospital. Look at you." I point at his bandaged hand. He frowns.

"When it comes to nag, you and Andy are two of a kind."

"That's because we're worried about you. What if something happens to you while you're on your way here?"

"But nothing happened. I safely arrived in one piece." He pinches my cheeks. "Babe, look at me. I came here because I missed you so much. I know Andy would tell you about my accident, and then you would go all the way there to see me. So I'm just saving your time." He giggles.

"You're so impossible." I cross my arms, and he frowns again. "But thanks anyway for saving my time." I notice the smile on his face. "And seeing you in this state, I'm glad."

"Why??"

"Cause I know you can't be naughty." I grin as I get up from the sofa, but he pulls me down.

"Who says I won't?"

 

 

The next morning, Eric needs to hurriedly go back because he still has to work.

"I have to supervise my subordinates," he replies to my nagging. I offer to send him to Seoul, but he says I can only go back if I want to. He sure understands me so well. Donghyuk hyung then comes to send him to the train station. "I'll see you soon." He pecks my lips, and gets into the car. When would that soon be, I wonder.

I'm doing my laundry when I notice Eric left his clothes from yesterday. I pick up the shirt to inhale his scent. But something is wrong. His shirt smells wrong. It doesn't smell like him. My mind starts to think, what if Eric starts cheating on me? Now would be a good time for that because I'm living far away from him. Ohmy, what is this uneasiness in my heart?

I tell Donghyuk hyung that I need to see my relatives, but I actually want to go back to Seoul. I pack my clothes, his clothes, and take Eric's car which was left at his restaurant. I desperately need to see Eric.

 

I arrive at our neighborhood around 8pm, and I notice our house is dark, which means no one is home. I park the car a little far away from the usual spot and carefully walk to our house. The smell of cigarette tickles my nose. What he has been doing smoking in the house? I walk around to see if anything has changed. But fortunately, everything still remains the same as when I left weeks ago. I feel so much relieved. I slump exhausted on our bed; I missed being home with Eric.

Being at home alone sure is boring, especially if your heart still doesn't settle. Weird thoughts come to mind as I'm smoking at the balcony.

"Are you sure it's just the three of them?"

What Minwoo said months ago rings in my head. I finish smoking and hurriedly goes to Andy's restaurant. I still don't know Eric's new workplace. I stand at the exact same spot where I saw Eric and our sister-in-law for the first time months ago. Yeah, that scene kind of hurts, even though I already know the truth. I take a seat at the cafe across the street and stare at the restaurant, hoping I would somehow see anyone familiar.

A few minutes later, someone familiar crosses the street towards the restaurant. From behind, I think it's Junjin. And he's with a girl. I cover my face with a magazine. The moment the girl turns, it's her! The pregnant girl. But her stomach isn't that big. Is she really carrying my baby?

As the two walk into the restaurant, I see someone is already waiting for them. And of course, it's my former boss. The three seem close. Sipping my coffee, I just stare at the sight. They look happy. I thought my disappearance has some effect on them?

An hour has passed, and the three just casually chat. It is getting bored so I start walking home. I hope the two brothers aren't home yet; besides it's only 10pm. Seeing the dark smoky living room, it's suffocating me who's only been here for a few minutes. I let the window slightly open for some fresh air. How could Eric and Andy live in this house this way? I quickly take a shower and make sure I don't leave any trace that shows I'm here. I close the bedroom door and lie peacefully on the bed. I need to sleep.

 

 

I wake up feeling hungry. When I turn to my side, I realize Eric's side of the bed remains untouched. That means he didn't come home last night. I walk to the kitchen to get something to eat, and my phone suddenly rings. It's a text message from Eric.

Morning babe. Miss you. How is your masterpiece?

I'm working on it. How was your sleep?

I only got one hour to sleep. There was a function last night :(

Poor my big baby. When will you go home? You need a proper rest.

I'm on my way home now. Ahh I wish you're home, waiting for me.

I feel proud and happy, but at the same time, tears well up in my eyes.

If you've been a good boy, your wish could come true. ;)

I've been one, right? And I'm still one. Right Hyesungie?

You miss me that much? We've just met.

I miss seeing you every single day of my life.

I miss you too. So much.

The moment I press the 'send' button, I hear him entering the passcode at the front door. Luckily I only had a drink, so I carefully run to the bedroom and hide in the shower. My heart beats like crazy with every step he takes into the house. I never knew playing hide and seek would make me this nervous. Another message then comes in.

I'm home. Know what? It smells like you've just been here.

Cold sweats start forming on my forehead as my heart is beating frantically. I swear I didn't put on my perfume. Ah I need to reply his text.

You're just imagining things.

But I hear silence around the house. Where could he be at the moment?

Looking out at the sky makes me think about you even more. Should I go and see you?

Hey it's the middle of the week and you're busy.

I wish the time moves faster. So I can quickly see you.

What would you do if you see me?

Ohmygod. I did not just send that.

Just wanna hug you.

I'm sweating like mad for thinking what he would reply, but seeing those 4 words, should I feel disappointed? He said he is missing me like crazy.

Hyesungie, are you disappointed?

Ah this guy. Then sound of footsteps are coming closer to the room. I try to calm down and hide deeper into the bathtub. He then sends another text.

Yes you are. Hehe. Why would I tell you what I'm going to do. It's a surprise.

Stupid me. Why am I start imagining things?? Just then, the bathroom door opens, and I could see his silhouette through the shower curtain. I pray hard, hoping he doesn't see me, because I'm not in the good condition to be seen. When I hear his footsteps fading away, I let out a deep sigh. He only came in to throw his clothes into the laundry basket. That is his routine if he was feeling sweaty, sticky, and dirty. He would just take all his clothes off and--

The shower curtain slides open!! There he is, smiling like an idiot. And here I am, eyes widen like a prey meeting its predator.

"Hey babe." He grins. He grins! And he is exposed. Omg. What am I thinking? "How long have you been here?" I stay frozen in my spot. In the bathtub. "Are you okay?" I can't talk right now. If I talk, he'd only hear alien language comes out from my mouth. "Babe?" He grabs my phone and puts it on the counter. Slowly, he leans down and kisses my hair. "You smell nice." Of course I smell nice. I just took a shower a few hours ago. "I missed it." He steps into the bathtub, and I just look at him with zero movement. "I need to take a bath." My eyes blink to process his words. When I realize I need to get up and give way to him, he pulls my hand. "With you."

 

Cuddling on the bed, I his hair to make him sleep. He should've been sleeping if it wasn't for our bonding session just now.

"Are you here for good?" He asks, his hand hugging my waist.

"I think so."

"That's great then. I really missed having you at home." He smiles.

"How did you know I'm home?" He grins.

"I smell you."

"Liar." He laughs.

"I saw the glass on the sink, your favorite shoes at the shoe rack--"

"But I hid them though." He pinches my cheek.

"I remember what shoes you took with you, and seeing them here, I just know." He buries his face deep in the crook of my neck. "I'm glad you're home with me."

"Me too. Now sleep. You need one." He chuckles with his eyes close.

 

After he goes to work, I thought of staying at home. But the scene from last night keeps on playing on my mind. I decide to confront my former colleagues.

"Hyung!" Junjin calls when he sees me stepping into the office. "I missed you, we missed you." He hugs me but I stay frozen. "Back to work?" I keep on walking to see my ex-boss.

"Hyesung!" He shouts the second I open his door. He's with a familiar client.

"Oppa!" The annoying girl runs to hug me. And I don't treat her any better than what I did to Junjin just now. "You're finally home. It's for good right?" I slowly push her away and face Minwoo.

"I'm here to take my things." Without waiting for his reply, I walk out and go straight to my office.

"Hyung, you're still a staff here. Minwoo hyung hasn't process your resignation letter yet."

"I don't care. I want to quit." My hands are busy filling up a box with my things when Minwoo comes.

"Hyesung, you can't leave. You're my favorite employee. My best friend." I look up and stare at him. Best friend? What kind of best friends lie to you?

"Hyung, please." I ignore them. When I think I'm finished, I carry the box out.

"Jin, take those with you." I say, referring to the many stuff left on the table. Taking a deep breath, I walk out of the building. I've had enough.

 

 

I'm lying hopelessly on the bed when Eric comes home that night.

"Are you waiting for me?" He never fails to make blood rushes to my head.

"Nope." He slides under the cover beside me. "Hey take a shower first." But he hugs me.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too. But you smell like seafood." He laughs.

"Fine. I'll be back in 10." As soon as he runs to the bathroom, I get up and go to the living room. My mind is too occupied with what I'm going to do now that I'm unemployed. "Babe??" He calls, and soon he is already standing behind the sofa. "Why are you here? It's 2am." Seeing him, I cover my eyes with a cushion.

"I just have too many things on my mind."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Maybe. If only you put on some clothes." He chuckles.

"Aishh." He grabs my hand. "Let's talk in the room. It's late."

"Clothes first."

"Room first."

"Clothes."

"Room."

"Eric."

"Sungie."

"Get a room you two!" Andy shouts, standing at his door, with both hands on his waist. The two of us just stare at him.

"You're home?" I ask, I didn't know he's home.

"Yep. You were asleep when I got home. So I went to bed too." He then looks at his brother. "Hyung, what are you? 8? Put on some clothes please." I laugh. Andy sure is my favorite brother-in-law. When Eric goes running to the room, Andy takes a seat beside me. "Are you okay hyung?"

"I'm fine. It's good to be home." Andy leans his head on my shoulder. "How are you? And Haena?"

"We're good. She misses you too."

"Really? Let's hang out if you guys are free. I'm already a free man." Andy looks at me.

"You quit your job?" I nod. "But that's your favorite job."

"I can just look for another one."

"But--"

"Yaa! Get away from my Hyesungie." Eric comes and pushes Andy's head away from me.

"Heyy!" I and Andy shout back at him, and he pouts.

"Hyesungie hyung, this man needs to be put in bed." Andy says to me, and his brother innocently nods.

"Fine. Talk to you later Andy." Andy waves as I get up and pull Eric to our room. I slump on the bed, leaving Eric to close the door. Before he even manages to do anything, I speak again. "Goodnight Eric." I pull the cover up to my shoulder and close my eyes, and I know he's pouting. But then I feel the bed moves. He lies down next to me, hugging me tight.

"Goodnight babe. Love you so much." A smile lingers on my face as I'm falling asleep.

 

 

The next night, I'm just staying at home, enjoying my time alone. The two brothers have already informed me that they would be late. I lie down on the sofa, watching some shows on television. My mind wanders off to dreamland after a few hours. When I hear the door, I jerk up to see who's home.

"Oh hyung. Still awake?" It's Andy. He walks over to the living room. "What are you doing here 2 in the morning? Eric hyung messes up again?" He giggles.

"He hasn't come home yet." I reply, and I see Andy's eyes widen.

"Really?" I nod. "I'm going inside. Hyung, go sleep in your room." He pulls my hand as he gets up, but I won't budge. "Hyung~~" He starts showing his aegyo.

"Fine." I get up and pinch his chubby cheeks. "Good night Andy."

I can't sleep. What is it with Andy's face just now when I said Eric hasn't come home? He seems surprised. But why? And why is Eric late? It's 3am and he didn't send even a single text message to me. I change my clothes and hurriedly leave the house. I need to find him. What if something bad happened to him again?

He told me he works at the restaurant just across Andy's, which means it's beside the cafe I went to a few nights ago. I walk in front of the restaurant, and of course it's already close. Where would Eric be at this time? I continue walking to the cafe next door, and surprisingly it's still open. Thinking that I could use a drink for my mind is a mess, I walk into the cafe. And the view surprises me. I see Minwoo and Junjin talking to a couple. From behind, I recognize the girl is the supposed pregnant girl. Is she really carrying my baby? I won't stop asking myself that question. I carefully walk to the counter to order, hoping they don't see me. Because of the dim atmosphere of the cafe, sounds of laughter echo through the whole area. My heartbeat rises when I realize it's a familiar laugh. Too familiar. I turn to look at them. And I start to shiver; my hands tremble as I hold onto my jacket tightly.

"Your coffee." The cashier speaks. I immediately pay and grab my coffee before running out of the cafe. Did I see it right? My hands are still shaking and the hot coffee only makes it worst. I take a deep breath, and bravely walk to the glass window where I know the four of them can see me. With my two trembling hands holding onto the coffee cup, I stand there and stare at them; especially the one with a tanned skin. They do see me. The moment that particular person's eyes lit up with shock, I run. I don't care if the coffee spills. I don't care about the cold night breeze. I don't care about the people passing by. I don't care about anything. Even though I hear him running to catch up with me, I don't care.

"Hyesungie!" I pretend to not hear him calling. The coffee cup suddenly feels light, so I just throw it away and continue running. "Hyesung--" His voice fades away as I run further and further to I-don't-know-where. And I don't even want to know.