07

Learn To Love Again

 

"Aren't you going to let me in?" She asks, and Eric immediately goes to open the door. Once she is inside, Eric pulls me and our luggage into the house.

"What are you doing here noona?" Eric asks as he settles on the sofa opposite his sister. Feeling awkward, I go to the kitchen to prepare some drinks. Apparently, she hears it.

"Don't bother giving me drinks. I won't be long anyway." Her voice sounds like lightning striking my heart, almost making the glass falls from my hand. Luckily Eric comes to the rescue. He brings me out of the kitchen and we both sit facing noona.

"I'm getting married in two months." It is a good news. A very good one. But her frown tells us otherwise. I wonder what would be the reason. "And I want you back in the mansion until the wedding." Did I hear it right? She is telling Eric to go back?

"What? Why? What about Andy? Did you tell him the same thing?" Eric raises his voice and I know he is shocked to hear that sudden request.

"Andy is busy with his work at the restaurant." She says, her eyes staring at Eric who is now standing in between me and her.

"I'm busy too. You know I've been working right?" She scoffs.

"You don't even have to work in the first place. Dad will gladly gives you a position in his company, and yet you chose to live- this kind of life." She spits the words as if they are referring to me, all the while her eyes never lay upon me.

"Noona, do you have to bring this up again?" Eric returns to his seat beside me, somehow understanding what I'm feeling at the moment.

"I have to. I'm getting married and I need the whole family to be there for me." She stands up ready to leave when Eric stops her.

"Andy is family too, how could you excuse him?" Eric asks in a calm voice.

"You really want me to compare you and him? He is the youngest, for God's sake. He can do whatever he wants. While you, Eric Mun, are the first son of our family and people will start questioning your whereabouts as the wedding is coming. Don't you realize that?"

"I do realize that. But that doesn't mean I should agree to it. I know Dad and Mom have nothing to do with this." Eric shoots a glare at his sister. "You really love to ruin my life even though you know I love you."

"Love?" She snorts. "If you loved me, you would have taken the job at Dad's company. But no, you let me do it all, you let me suffer alone, while you and that person are free to do whatever you want. Is that what you call love?" She stops to take a breath, giving him another angry glare. "I believe I deserve some respect after what I've gone through." She sighs and slowly walks towards the front door. "See you at home." She reminds before finally leaves the house.

I don't know what to say or do at the moment. My mind is such a mess. And I bet Eric's mind is worst. He sits beside me, wrapping his arms around my still shaking body.

"I'm sorry, Hyesungie. I didn't see this coming." He whispers. I know he is trying to make me calm down even though there is a tornado in his heart. "I won't leave you. I've promised to you right?" I weakly nod on his shoulder. "I'll think of something. We'll get through this together."

 

 

It's Friday morning and we need to get up soon as we had planned many things to do today. But after what happened yesterday, both of us don't have the will to do anything. I look at the time. It is way past breakfast time. With Eric still sleeping, I force myself get up from bed to cook something for brunch.

I'm finishing the last dish when Eric comes and hugs me from behind.

"I'm sorry I slept in." He kisses my hair.

"It's okay." I pour the fried rice on the plate with his hands still wrapping around my body, then slowly bring the plate to the table. "Let's eat." I expect him to let go of the hug, but he doesn't. "Eric." He shakes his head.

"I want to stay like this with you forever." I chuckle. Why is he being so cheesy today?

"Eric, let's eat first. It's almost afternoon." He pouts when I try to free myself. "Fine. What do you want me to do?" He sits and I end up sitting on his lap.

"Feed me." He looks at me, batting his eyelashes. In seconds, I give in to his cuteness. Ah I wish we can be like this everyday.

 

We only leave the house in the evening. The sun is already setting when we arrive at the cinema.

"It is still too early for a midnight show." I chuckle.

"We can watch a marathon if you want." He wriggles his eyebrows, trying to tempt me.

"No. Just one movie is enough. There are still many places we can go."

After the movie, we have our dinner at a street stall near the shopping mall. It used to be our favorite place to hang out. But as our lives getting busier, we didn't have the time to visit anymore.

"It's been what? Two years?" He pours a drink and gulps it down.

"The two of us? Three years. I just came here months ago." I grin, munching some food.

"What? With who?" He gives me that interrogative stare, which I find it very funny.

"You don't fit being serious." I laugh at his act. "With M and Jin." As I say those words, past memories cross my mind.

"You miss them, don't you?" I look at Eric to disagree, but he just smiles. "They miss you too." I chew on some meat and suddenly two familiar people come to our table. It makes me choke.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Junjin pats my back without even manage to sit. Eric passes me a glass of plain water, while the other one just stands still, looking at the table. "M hyung..." The youngest calls as I recover, but Minwoo doesn't move a bit. 

"Minwoo..." I call softly. He suddenly bursts into tears and runs to hug me.

"Hyesung, I missed you damn much! My whole life isn't the same since you left. I'm sorry for what happened. I want you back. Please. Come back and work for me. I need you. Junjin needs you." He wails, ignoring the other people in the stall. I tap his back, telling him to stop crying and sit down. "Please forgive me." His small eyes are now even smaller.

"Minwoo, I forgave you both a long time ago. I just wasn't ready to meet up with you. And it was a coincidence that I met Junjin at the hospital." His crying stops, giving me a suspicious stare.

"You met her already?" Blood is pumping fast from my heart to my head and I feel like fainting. I don't want to talk about her, or her brother, or anything related to them. Not now.

"Hyesungie..." I turn to Eric and I feel his hand grabbing mine. He is assuring me that everything is just fine. I hope it is that easy.

"We came here to ask you to come back to work. You've been gone for a month and I consider that as unpaid leave. Your office is still yours, so please?" I pout, thinking of excuses to give. Eric tighten his grip on my hand and that is how I know.

"If only you two behave." I flash a smile and I see Eric is smiling too. The other two immediately chug down a few glasses of soju to celebrate.

 

"You told them to come?" He just smiles. "Thank you."

"Anything for my precious."

Walking along the food street under the beautiful night sky with just the two of us had been one of the items in my bucket list. I didn't expect him to still remember about it. But now that he does, I'm very grateful and happy. This is definitely the best normal date we've ever had.

As we arrive home, to our surprise, Andy and Dongwan are there. Dongwan brings along the new clothes I left at his house, which I excitedly thank him but he just laughs at my overreaction. Aishh that old guy. Andy and Eric are having a smoke outside at the balcony, with the glass door closed. I know they are talking about something serious.

"My aunt sends her regards."

"How is she?"

"She's doing fine. The cat is doing a good job."

"You shouldn't treat that cat as your replacement. Go and visit her for real some times."

"I do visit her as usual. Thanks for worrying about her."

I lie down on the sofa when Dongwan puts on a movie. It is getting late and the sleepiness is taking over me.

I don't remember when did I fall asleep. And seeing that I'm already on the bed, it must be Eric who brought me here. I hear laughter from the living room and I guess they still haven't go home. Their suddenly serious conversation catches my attention.

"When are you going back hyung?"

"In two days. I still haven't tell him. What should I do?"

"Eric, he will understand. Just tell him the truth."

"I can't. We're only getting back together for a few days, I don't want us to go through separation again."

"Hyung, I'm sorry. If only I could go back too..."

"No Andy. You aren't at fault. It's noona. She'd always wanted to break us up. And I still don't understand why."

"Should I talk to Mom and Dad for you?"

"I did. But they couldn't do anything. Noona is in charge now. Oh dear. How am I going to tell him?"

"You can just tell me now." I speak as I walk out of the room, surprising them three.

"Hyesungie." He gets up and runs to hold me. "I'm sorry..."

"Hey. Don't say sorry. You've tried your best." I pat his back. "You would only be away for what? Two months? Don't worry, I can handle it." I cup his face and stare at his teary eyes. "Besides, Andy and Dongwan are here. And I'm going back to work. See? I'm all good." He pulls me into another hug.

"Why are you being so nice? I can't leave you like this." I chuckle.

"I'm always nice. Especially when I'm with you." I flash him a grin and that makes him smile.

"Dongwan hyung, it's the signal for us to leave." Andy grabs his jacket, ready to go. But Dongwan doesn't budge. "Dongwan hyung!!" The said name immediately gets up, following Andy out of the house.

"Now it's just the two of us." I pull him into the room and I see his face brightens. Suddenly he lets go and runs away from me, leaving me stunned and confused. After seconds, he comes back.

"I just locked the door, so that no one can disturb us for the next two days." He responds with a wide grin on his handsome face.

 

 

We just stay at home the whole weekend and do what ordinary couples do. We clean up the house, do our laundry, cook together, watch movies on television, give each other massages, and some other activities. The two days are fully well-spent. Eventually, Sunday night comes. I pretend to not thinking about him leaving.

"Eric, is this look good?" I show him a shirt with a matching tie.

"Where are you going?" He asks with curiosity beamed in his eyes. Ah he must have forgotten.

"I'll be working tomorrow, honey. Did you forget already?" I pout and walk back to the closet.

"Ah ah sorry. I thought you wanted to go out right now." He flashes a silly grin and it makes me laugh. "And did you just call me honey?" He grabs my arm and we are standing facing each other.

"Honey?" He seems happy. "I don't think so." I shake my head and it's his turn to pout. "Why?"

"I like it. It makes me feel like we're married." I blush upon his last word. Oh if only he knows how much I want us to be married. Suddenly he brings my left hand up and slides something onto my ring finger. I'm at lost for words, mouth gaping, wide eyes staring at the silver-colored thing that sparkles when the light hits it. "Happy 7th anniversary." He kisses my hand while I just stand still, trying to comprehend what is happening at the moment. When I feel him cupping my face, I start to remember.

"Is it today? Oh my God! I'm really sorry. It completely slipped off my mind. I don't have anything to give to you--" I couldn't manage to finish my sentence as he seals my lips with a kiss. I just let myself loose and give in.

"Having you here with me and being able to spend our time together are more than enough. Plus I get to hear you calling me honey for the very first time, it's a bonus!" He plants more kisses all over my face.

"Hey stop it! Hehehe it tickles." I try pushing him away but he just holds me tighter. When he stops laughing, I look up and I see his change of expression.

"You're the best thing that ever happened in my life. I loved you before, I love you now, and I will love you forever. Whatever happens in the future, promise me you'll be strong and you won't give up on us." His suddenly serious but calm voice sounds like a needle pricking my heart. Is it because he knows that something is bound to happen to our relationship? I can't help but cry. "I know you love me too. I trust you. And I want you to trust me. I will do everything I can to make sure we won't be separated. We made it through before, and we'll make it through again. As long as you're with me, I believe nothing will come between us." He my back as I bury my face in the crook of his neck. "Promise me?" In between sobs, I take a deep breath to reply to his words.

"I promise I will always be strong and I won't give up. Thank you for accepting me back, thank you for loving me, thank you for everything you've done, and thank you for whatever you'll do to keep us together. I trust you with all my heart. And I love you too much to let anything come between us again."

 

 

I wake up the next morning feeling excited to get back to work. But the moment my eyes land on one big suitcase beside the bedroom door, all the excitement fades.

"Hey babe. Morning!" He greets as he comes into the room. "Breakfast is almost done so you better get ready now." I smile and force myself to the bathroom. Staring at the mirror, I feel like crying again. And suddenly one thing near my collarbone catches my attention.

"Eric!!!!" I shout my heart out, and then I hear him laughing outside the bathroom. Aishh it is only the first day of work and he gave me this? How am I supposed to face my colleagues now?

During breakfast, I act all serious, not talking to him. And he just giggles.

"Having fun?" He laughs, nodding to my question. "I'm not."

"It's not the first time you go to work like this." He refers to my tightly buttoned collar with a neatly made tie. I don't have any defence left, so I just continue eating. And he still giggles. Ahh what a morning.

I'm taking out my shoes from the shoe rack when he comes to see me off.

"You know it is today, right?" Within seconds, everything he told me last night comes rushing into my mind. He is leaving. Today. I fake a smile and nod.

"So I won't be seeing you when I come home today?"

"Not only today, but for the next two months." My heart stings upon his words. I continue putting on my shoes.

"Okay. I understand." Checking myself out in the mirror for one last time, I can see my tears are about to fall. I blink a few times.

"Babe..." He holds my hand. "I'll call you, text you. And I'll try to see you. Don't skip meals, don't stay out late, have enough sleep--"

"Are you leaving for good?" His eyes widen in surprise. I chuckle. "I'm a grown up man, Eric. Don't worry." He sighs, squeezing my hand. My heart is pounding hard and I know it is only a matter of time before I start crying. I need to leave fast. "Just keep in touch, okay? I know you'll be just around the corner. We're still in the same country anyway." His face softens. "I'm going to be late. So bye." I let his hand go and turn to the door. But he pulls me hard and I bump onto him.

"I'll be missing you like crazy." He whispers and I know he is holding back his tears too.

"Me too. Keep in touch okay?" I pat his back.

"Take care of yourself." He pecks my cheek. "I love you." I almost choke with tears.

"I love you too honey."

With a heavy heart, I open the door and bring myself out of the house. And I know he follows me out. As the elevator door closes, I look at him for one last time. And I see him mouthing the words 'I love you' while waving his hand. The moment I reach the ground floor, I run to my car as fast as I can. My heart breaks into million pieces once I get into the car and I just let myself cry.

 

I fix my hair, check my face and clothes, and take a deep breath before getting out of the car. Walking to the office with a sad but determined heart, I make sure a smile lingers on my face.

"Morning hyung!" Junjin jumps onto me as he sees me stepping into the office. "Welcome back from your vacation!" I just laugh even though I feel like punching his face.

"Everybody knows I wasn't on vacation Jin." I pull him to my office. There, Minwoo is already waiting. "Morning boss." I greet. He walks over to me to give a hug.

"Welcome back my friend." Minwoo says, making me feel like crying again. Ah I must resist. Junjin then joins the hug and I can't hold it back anymore. "Hyesung, what's wrong?" They let go and look at me with worried expression.

"Ah nothing. I just missed being at work, with you guys." I wipe my tears and smile.

"I know." Minwoo grins. "Today, lunch is on me." Junjin claps his hands excitedly. "Better start doing your work now." Minwoo then waves and leaves the room, pulling Junjin with him. I really missed those two.

 

"How's everything?" Minwoo asks while we are having lunch.

"Everything's-- good." I nod. "How's the office? I was expecting a pile of unfinished reports on my table when I came. But there were only three files?"

"Junjin did them all." I look at the youngest as he smiles bashfully. "Last week." I laugh.

"Thanks guys. I owe you two a lot."

"Definitely! So you need to payback--" I widen my eyes at Minwoo. "Don't leave us again."

"As long as the pay is good." Junjin laughs at my words, and Minwoo shakes his head.

"Hyung, do you know Yihyun was discharged from hospital?" I didn't expect us to talk about this. "Yesterday. She is in good condition." I nod.

"You want to see her?" Minwoo suddenly asks. Seeing me shaking my head, he continues. "She wants to see you." The two nod, eyes staring at me. How should I react? I don't want to see the girl, not after what her brother said that day.

"Jin, you saw what happened at the hospital right?" Junjin nods.

"She knew about that. That is one of the reasons she wants to see you." I let out a sigh.

"I don't want to go see her alone."

"We'll accompany you." I know I don't have any excuses left to reject.

"I need some time." They nod, not wanting to ask any further.

 

 

The dreadful time finally comes. Usually I would be happy when it is time to go home after work. But today, I don't even feel like going home because I know there is no one waiting for me. No greetings, no home-cooked meals, no companion, and most importantly, no warmth; for two months to come. I stay at the office, doing some unnecessary adjustments to my interior and just staring at the window, until I see the sun sets.

The drive home is not fun. I don't even bother to turn on the radio. Reaching the parking lots, my heart is breaking again. Do I have to do this? Do I have to go home? But no one is home. Eric is not home. And I don't want to be home alone.

But Eric used to stay at home alone when I came back late. He used to stay alone when I was busy partying with my friends. He used to stay alone when I ran away from him. In fact, he was always alone even he was with me.

Stupid. Idiot. Selfish. I curse at myself. Guilt starts creeping in, making tears fall down my cheeks. I gather my last bits of courage and ride the elevator. Again, I'm overwhelmed with memories. I press the passcode and as the door unlocks, I take my time to enter. His perfume tickles my nose so I inhale as much as I can, thinking that it would be his last scent for quite some time. Seeing the dark surrounding of the house, I close the door and weakly walk to the living room. As I expected, there is no warmth in this house since he has been gone. I slump on the sofa, curl myself like a ball, and cry myself to sleep.

 

I wake up feeling sore all over my body, even my head and eyes are hurt. After getting ready, I drink a glass of orange juice and hurriedly leave the house. I don't want to stay here alone any longer. I'm about to open the door when I see a polaroid picture of Eric pasted on it.

Have a very good day, love. :)

It makes me smile. I guess I need to let the picture there, to serve as a daily reminder.

Opening the door, I see a person standing outside my house.

"Hello Hyesung." He flashes a very wide smile and I can see his wrinkles clearer than ever.