06

Learn To Love Again

 

My shaking hands are tightly gripping onto the blanket. I count every second that passes, hoping I would quickly fall back asleep. And each minute feels like an hour. My heart is going crazy as I hear the noises getting closer to my room. I mentally pray for help. And that is when the door opens.

The person continues searching in the room because I can hear sounds of rustling papers and things being flipped. I don't know what to think, what to do, or who to blame. How can this stranger come into my hotel room in the first place? My question remains a thought in my head as I feel the bed moves. I feel my heart is almost bursting out of the rib cage. That person starts touching my head, moving his hand to my arm and caressing it down to my waist. Shiver runs through my body as I realize that person is lying down behind me.

"I know you're awake." A male voice whispers and it brings me goosebumps. My mind is too busy being afraid, and it did not manage to catch the familiarness. With my eyes shut tightly, I force myself to pretend to sleep. And again, the hand crawls over my arm and it starts to tickle. I must resist the urge to laugh. "Don't you miss me?" The cheeky yet sad tone brings me to reality and I immediately flip the blanket off of me as I get up to face the intruder. "Hey." He is smiling at me. And the moonlight is shining upon his teeth. It is a little bit funny. "Why are you laughing?" I bite my lips and look at him, unmoving. What am I supposed to do now? "Hey. You know it is me, right?" I nod. "You can see me, right?" I nod again, still keeping my pokerface on. "You miss me?" I chuckle, and he grins. "Then what are you waiting for?" I widen my eyes and he widens his grin. There it is, that trademark grin of his, which I had missed so much these couple of days. Receiving no response from me, he pulls me onto his body and hugs me tightly. The warm familiar feeling rushes all over me. He is here. "I miss you. So much." He whispers. I return the hug and it feels like home. "Glad you are okay." Then it dawns upon me. I push him away and stare at his beautiful brown eyes.

"Where did you go? Why did you leave me? What happened? Where have you--" He pulls me for another hug.

"Not now. Please. Let's just sleep. I'm tired." He my back and it does calm me down. And soon, I fall back asleep.

 

The morning comes and I open my eyes as I remember Eric is here with me. But seeing there is only me on the bed, my heart starts to worry again. I get off the bed and rush to the living room, shouting like a mad man.

"Eric! Eric!"

"Why are you shouting? What's wrong?" He asks from the kitchen, and I immediately lunge myself towards him. "Morning." He says as he pecks my cheeks. "How was your sleep?"

"I thought you left me again." He chuckles.

"Silly. I won't leave you. Ever."

"Heh. You already did, once."

"Fine. Once. I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Ever." He spins me around and we end up on the sofa.

"So can we talk about it now?" He smiles as he knows what I'm talking about.

"Wash up first. Breakfast is ready." He gets up but I grab his hand. "Early bird gets the worm."

"I don't eat worms."

"I'm not saying you're a bird." He laughs. "Come on. I'm starving."

"Fine." I run to the bathroom.

The breakfast is warm, family-like warm. It makes me happy. I do miss those times, waking up with him beside me, eating his cooking, and most of all, living with an angel in disguised named Eric. I still feel regret over what I've done before. But the fact that he forgave all of my mistakes, I love him even more each day.

"Is the food taste funny?" He asks.

"Eh? Nope. It tastes just fine. Ah I mean it tastes good."

"Really? I didn't cook these. I ordered them." I laugh. "What?"

"I know you didn't cook these. There is no stove here." He smiles, embarrassed. "And of course hotel food needs to taste good." He nods. "So, let's talk." And he shoves a spoonful of food into his mouth. "Hey!!" He shakes his head, keeping his mouth close as he chews on his food. "Cheeky."

 

Cuddling on the sofa, watching television, I can't contain my curiousity any longer.

"What were you searching for last night?" He looks at me, surprised.

"Did I wake you up?" I roll my eyes, and he laughs. "I was looking for the ashtray."

"That's it?" He nods. "Ah I thought someone was trying to rob me."

"Robbers would just take what they see." He smiles. "Besides, I left all the valuable stuff at home."

"Like that would make me less scared." He tightens his hug around my shoulders.

"You're not scared now right?" I shake my head. "Good."

"So, won't you tell me about your disappearance?" He my hair.

"I met up with someone. Regarding the girl who was pregnant with your child." My heart goes wild, like it almost explodes in a matter of time. "He thought you made her lost her baby."

"He?" I ask.

"He. A man named Yijung." I freeze. It was the man who beat Eric years ago. "His name sounds familiar." I wonder if Eric knows the truth now. "I met him, with Andy and Dongwan."

"What did that man want?"

"He wanted to know the truth. We fought--"

"What?? Did he beat you up again? Are you hurting anywhere??" I check his face for any bruises or scratches; I even lift up his t-shirt to take a look at his body.

"I'm a lot stronger now." He shows off his muscles and that makes me laugh. "But what did you mean by 'beat me up again'?" I gulp as I realize I slipped.

"Did I say that? Ah my bad." I fake a smile. "So, continue your story."

"He brought a few men. But as he started to lunge towards me, the girl I met at the cafe appeared."

"Yihyun?"

"The girl slapped him and everyone stopped. I heard she said 'stop this nonsense' and walked away. Then the man and his gang left too."

"I'm glad you're okay." I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Me too." He kisses my head. "Hyesungie, you never told me how did she get pregnant." My heart automatically drops.

 

It was the end of the year. And with lots of parties being held, Minwoo and Junjin were very excited in attending them all.

"I pass. Tonight is new year's eve!" I shouted at them.

"No you can't pass. This is an order from your boss."

"Minwoo, I have applied for a week off since last month. You can't change it."

"Your holiday only starts tomorrow. That means the whole day today is still a working day for you, until the clock strikes 12." He grinned. Of all times, I hated his grin more today.

Half-heartedly, I sent Eric a text message about me being late. His reply was always warm, but it always brought guilt to my heart.

Have fun. Love you.

After a few parties and lots of drinks, I became drunk when it only reached 7pm. Adding to it was my tiredness. I didn't enjoy these parties at all, because my heart had already left to see Eric.

"Hyung, let's dance." Junjin called from his seat. I shook my head and just continued drinking. That was when the familiar girl came approaching me.

"Hi oppa." She took a seat beside me and I moved away a bit from her. "Why are you sitting here alone?" I immediately brought my index finger to my mouth, telling her to keep shut. I knew I was already drunk, and a loud annoying voice would only make it worst. I was looking down when I noticed she slid closer to me. I turned to her.

"Stop. Shut up. Go away." I shouted, and it made her flinched.

"Oppa--""

"Shh!" I got up to leave the annoying girl, when all of a sudden, my legs gave up. I lost it.

I woke up to see I was in quite a dark room. There was only one bedside lamp lit up. I got up from the bed, rubbing my temples as I felt my head wanted to explode. I was on my two feet when I realized I wasn't wearing anything.

"!" The headache immediately gone and I searched around the floor to find my clothes. As I was getting dressed, my phone rang. My heart beat like crazy when I saw it was a text message from Eric.

It's quite late. Do you want me to pick you up anywhere?

I looked at the time - it was already 2am! I clutched the phone to my chest, shouting million curse words to myself. I rushed all over the room to find anyone but I was all alone. A sparkling thing on the table caught my attention. It was an earring and it looked awfully familiar. With fist clenched, I left the room and ran home.

 

I went to the office after a week off. I thought of extending for another week, but Minwoo's call last night was terrifying.

"Hah! Glad you made it to the office!"

"When my boss threatened to fire me, I don't have any other choice." Minwoo laughed.

"How's your holiday?"

"It's personal." I flashed him a grin.

"I bet it's not as fun as the night of the new year party." He grinned back.

"What do you mean?"

"I heard you had quite a night with a girl."

"What??" I jerked off my chair and stared at my boss. Wait, he wasn't my boss if we were talking about personal matters. He was now a friend.

"Eyyy did you forget about it already?" I grabbed his collar. "What?"

"Who told you about that?"

"Yihyun told me. And she said you didn't call her after that night. She was upset." I punched him on the jaw, still gripping on his collar. "What the hell? Hyesung! This is the office!"

"I don't care. Tell me the truth. What else did she tell you?"

"I asked her how did you two ended up together. She said you fainted, so she brought you to her hotel. She didn't tell me what happened between you two, but she was smiling. I bet you two had fun." I sighed and let him go. "What's wrong?"

"I didn't remember a thing." I slumped on the chair. My head started getting dizzy, and my heart was feeling more guilty than ever.

 

"I'm sorry." I cry in his embrace. The guilt is eating me up from the inside; the longer I keep all these secrets from him, the more I feel like dying.

"It's all happened." He my back. "Let's start anew." I wipe my tears and look at him who is smiling. "First, have you finished the to-do list?" I grab the book from the coffee table and show him the ones I had crossed out. "Are you sure you've done all these?"

"Of course!" He smiles and pinches my cheeks.

"Let's do the rest. First off, boat ride!"

 

When he said a boat ride, I thought he was talking about the kind of boat that takes the tourists around the island. I'm kind of expecting that, that's why I'm wearing long-sleeve t-shirt, long pants, and a pair of sandals. But here we are, waiting for our turn to ride the banana boat.

"Why are you laughing??" I ask him, annoyed.

"You look like a tourist." He giggles, and I feel like kicking his stomach.

"I am a tourist!" I cross my arms, looking away from him. I am mad. Why didn't he tell me earlier?

"You can go back and change."

"No. I don't even want to ride that." I point at the yellow boat. 

"Come on. I've wanted to do this for ages!" He pouts.

"Who told you to lie?"

"I didn't lie."

"Yeah right. You saw me getting ready in these clothes, but you didn't say a thing. That's the same as lying." I stomp my feet away from the line, silently cursing at myself for being an embarrassment. Who even wear these kind of clothes at the beach?

"Hyesungie." He pulls my arm and faces me. "I didn't say anything because I know how you hate being at the beach for hours. So I just let you wear those. As for me, I'm already tanned, a little sunburnt won't hurt." He smiles.

"I hate you." His words make sense. I don't really like being under the sun for long. When I realize I should not pout in public, it's all too late. "Hey!" I shout as I push him away from the sudden kiss. He just grins.

"I love you." He circles my waist and we walk to ride the boat for tourists. Ah finally.

 

We return to our room when it is almost night. I'm too tired riding the boat around the island, I just want to lie on the bed and sleep. But he won't let me. He makes me sit on the sofa while we wait for our food. The food arrives as I'm about to fall asleep. He knows how tired I am, he starts feeding me.

"I can eat by myself." I try to grab the spoon but to no avail. He feeds me another spoonful of food.

"You're too sleepy. Just eat." I nod. He keeps on feeding me and at times he feeds himself. We both are watching the television when a familiar name being mentioned in the news.

'Kang Yihyun, the heir of Kang Corporation was admitted to hospital. She was found unconscious in her house after falling down the stairs. President Kang--'

I switch off the television and grab the spoon from Eric to feed myself. But he snatches the plate away from me.

"Hey, I'm still eating." I shout with my mouth full.

"You're done." He gets up and brings the plate to the kitchen. I let him be. I grab a cushion and lie down on the sofa. "Don't sleep with your stomach full." I ignore Eric's reminder and just stare at the blank screen. My mind is a mess. The girl is in the hospital right now. Is she badly hurt? Should I see her? What will she say if she sees me? What would her family say to me? I bet they all know about me. But do I even need to see her? The last time I saw her was the day I picked up my stuff from the office. "Hey." Eric calls as he puts my head on his lap. "Are you okay?" I nod. I think I'm okay, because I'm feeling very very sleepy, especially now that my stomach is full. Slowly, I doze off to dreamland.

 

Yihyun came into my dreams that night, and it wakes me up at 3am. I just stare into the darkness as I recall the good times I had with her during the early days of our friendship.

 

"Hyesungie oppa! Here!" Yihyun called as she waved her hand. I took a seat in front of her.

"Wow. You always eat here?" I looked around, amazed seeing the fancy restaurant.

"Sometimes. So what do you want to eat?" I scanned the menu for a familiar dish but there were all so high-class. In the end, she just ordered for me the same dish as her.

We started talking about stuff, and sometimes we laughed. She was like a little sister to me, and it was fun being with her. We only met for a few months and we already became good friends. She did tell me she liked me, but I reminded her I only saw her as a younger sister, not more than that. She understood it and seemed like she was still trying hard to accept that fact.

"Oppa, my dad told me to start taking over the company."

"Really? That's great!" It was one of the perks being born in an already established family. I wasn't saying I was jealous. It's just she needed to know how lucky she was.

"But I'm not ready. Besides, my brother is fully up for it. He just needs Dad's approval, which I think it will never come." She sighed. "Dad always treat Yijung oppa harshly. I get it that he's the only son and his responsibility is huge, but Dad shouldn't show how biased he is right in front of our noses."

"Does it make your brother angry?" She sipped her drink.

"I think so. He never showed if he's angry or sad. But I know he is. When he received the news about me taking over the company, he locked himself in his room and only came out the next day to send me to the office."

"He loves his sister so much." I commented. She seemed happy hearing it.

"And now you know I already have a loving brother, I don't need another one." She looked at me, batting her eyeslashes.

"Eeyyy don't change the subject." She laughed. "I don't have a sister, and you're the perfect one for it."

"Thank you oppa. Thank you for treating me like a human being." She smiled at me, but I could see her teary eyes. Living in an established family did have its bad side.

 

 

After four days staying in Jeju, it is finally time to go home. When I ask him why don't we just stay there the whole week, he says we need a lot to do back at home. The whole journey home, I keep holding his hand, afraid if he would leave me again.

We take a taxi from the airport. I lean back to have a light nap before arriving home. When he wakes me up, I'm surprised we are at the hospital.

"Why are we here? Are you sick?" He smiles as he takes out our bags.

"We're here to see her." I freeze. I'm not expecting this. I'm not ready for this. What should I do?

"No, no. Let's go home. I never said I wanted to see her." I pull our luggage towards the main road but he stops me. "Eric, please."

"Hyesung, we're already here. Just see her for a while. Okay? I know you're worried about her." I'm about to protest when he continues. "Yes, I know you're mad at her for what she did. But it's all in the past." His words always sound good to my ear. I look down, trying to muster up some courage. That's when I hear my name.

"Hyesung hyung." It's Junjin. "Hyung, I missed you." He hugs me tight and my eyes start tearing up. "I'm sorry hyung." I pull away and stare at his face, he is crying.

"Sorry for what?" I pat his back to make him calm down.

"For the night where we had that birthday celebration--"

"I already forgot about that." I smile at him but he still looks sad.

"Sorry for the night when you saw us at the cafe..." He says, almost whispering. He glances at Eric, and as the latter nods, he looks back at me.

"Eric had told me everything. Don't worry, I forgive all of you."

"You forgive Yihyun too?" He seems expecting me to say yes. I look at Eric, and again when he nods, I nod too. "That's why you're here right? To see her?" Before I could even answer him, he pulls me into the hospital, straight to the elevator. I look back, hoping Eric to catch up with us.

"Eric." I call, but he just stands still at the lobby, holding on to our luggage. "Eric." He nods with a smile on his face. As the elevator door closes, I think I see him looking down. Is he upset?

"We're here." The elevator opens, revealing the empty hallway. Junjin says something to the nurses at the counter before he pulls me again. "Hyung, she still hasn't awake." I feel a little sad to hear that. When we reach her room, I pray hard so that I don't meet anyone familiar. Junjin slowly opens the door. I take a deep breath and follow him inside. There she is, lying unconscious on that bed. My heart is breaking bits by bits with each second passes.

I hated going to the hospital. Seeing Eric on the bed years ago broke my heart into million pieces. I thought he was going to die.

"He's still alive right??"

Yihyun words the night of the birthday celebration ring in my head. Eric is alive and I'm thankful for that. But I never stop blaming her for what happened to Eric. And seeing her on the bed, I blame myself. The fun, lively, adorable, sometimes annoying, pretty girl is now lying hopelessly, with her head bandaged. She looks like a completely different girl. A thought crosses my head; is it my fault that she became like this?

"Yihyun, it's Hyesung oppa. How are you? Please wake up soon. I miss my sister." Tears fall down my face as I say those words. I do miss her. It's just I was busy blaming her for everything, I forgot the good times we had together.

After around ten minutes, I get up to leave. Junjin is about to open the door when a man comes in.

"You??" A big fat punch lands on my left jaw and I immediately fall on the floor. "Don't you dare come here ever again." Junjin helps me getting up and we hurriedly leave the place. My lips are bleeding so I go to the restroom to clean up. Looking at the mirror, I see a bruise on my left cheek. Ahh what should I do now? I ask for a mask from a nurse, and then I and Junjin walk back to the lobby.

"Hyesung, what happened??" He asks, pulling my mask.

"Ouch." It hurts when his fingers touch the bruise. He then looks at Junjin.

"We met her brother while we're getting out. And he just pun--" I stop him from talking, and it makes Eric angry.

"He's here? I want to see him." I throw myself to Eric, holding him tight.

"Let's just go home. Please." He lets out a deep sigh and my back. He then turns and the three of us walk out of the hospital. Junjin insists to send us home and I agree. I'm too tired, I just want to go home and sleep for a few days.

As soon as Junjin drives off, I pull our luggage straight to the elevator. Eric just follows me from behind. The ride up is in complete silence, as he knows I don't have the mood to talk. The moment the elevator opens, I see someone waiting for us in front of our door. I look at Eric and we both shrug. The person suddenly turns, making my heart sinks as I see her face.

"Noona." Eric speaks, killing the silence. We just stand still, surprised seeing the unexpected guest. 

 

 


A/N: I'm sorry for the loooong delay.