CHAPTER 1

Just one love

CHAPTER 1

 

Jeju-do is a South Korea‘s big island located in the south. This island is South Korea‘s treasure and most of tourists come to the island to have a relaxing vacation. Jeju-do is famous for its oranges, fields and awesome landscapes. To tourists Jeju-do is a heavenly place, but to local residents it is only an island without any dreams. Especially for young people living in Jeju-do, it means that all they could do is to study about fishing and work as a fisherman.

Seung Gi is 21 years old but all his life is about fish. His father was a well-known fisherman of Jeju-do and his mother owned the best seafood restaurant in Jeju-do, so he grew up in this kind of environment. When Seung Gi was a teenager, he dreamt about different life in another city. But everything changed when he had to become a head of his house. His father died because of illness, so he, his mother and younger brother were left alone and had to handle household problems by themselves. Seung Gi’s mother had to close seafood restaurant and start to work at the fish factory. His younger brother Kibum was weak high school student, but he had to start working part time job in order to help his family. Also, Seung Gi forgot about going outside Jeju-do and just replaced his father in his workplace.

Finally the first spring’s day came after a long winter. Outside was still cold, but the nature already smelled like in the spring. The spring’s sun was rising and waking up every Jeju-do fisherman to go to their boats. Spring in Jeju-do means more fishes and more money, so after a tiring winter spring was full of hope. Since early morning Jeju-do harbor was noisy, because fishermen were in high spirits. They knew that finally they are going to catch more fishes and make more money. Since spring came, Jeju-do became lively again.

“Pull it up!” Seung Gi was already at the harbor with other fishermen. His quite long hair was tied with some kind of string. He was wearing a green fisherman uniform like other men working at the harbor. Seung Gi’s hands were covered with gloves. Actually, looking at Seung Gi’s face everyone could have told that he doesn’t look like he is a fisherman. He was extremely handsome – like a real prince from fairytales. He didn’t look strong or suited working at harbor and doing black job. Seung Gi’s appearance was different from others – he looked like an actor who was filming his drama. But in reality, he didn’t care that he didn’t suit to this work. He didn’t care that he didn’t look like a strong man – he was just working in order to make some money. Seung Gi didn’t have any other serious goal in his life – just to make money.

“Yes, hyeong!” young man was holding a big rope and started to pull it from the water. After he did his job, he straightened his back and looked at Seung Gi who was all wet.

“Chanyeol, next time be more careful! Look at my clothes… they are all wet” Seung Gi softly scolded a young man named Chanyeol. Seung Gi was Chanyeol’s friend and he knew that Chanyeol wasn’t used to do this ‘black’ job. Chanyeol was two years younger than Seung Gi, but they were a perfect match for each other. This year Chanyeol graduated from high school and had to go to work at the same place as Seung Gi was working. No one asked if Chanyeol has a dream work, he was just sent here without any question. It was his fate.

“Sorry, hyeong. I will be more careful next time” Chanyeol was still smiling. It wasn’t a big and very happy smile, but when depressed looking Seung Gi was next to him, it looked like Chanyeol was smiling from all his heart.

“Okay. Let’s take a break” Seung Gi took his gloves off and put his hand into pocket. Soon his hand was holding a pack of cigarettes. “Do you want?”

“Ah, yes, hyeong. Thank you” Chanyeol shyly took one cigarette from Seung Gi. He put it in his mouth and Seung Gi lit it.

Both of them were quietly sitting on the bench and were looking at the sea. A spring’s breeze was tousling their hair. Chanyeol tried to make his hair to look neat, but it was impossible, so eventually he just gave up. At that moment Seung Gi was just sitting and didn’t do anything. Emptiness was hiding in his eyes and he couldn’t think about anything. Seung Gi just enjoyed break and smoking gave him refreshed feeling.

A bell rang and it was the sigh that the break is over. Chanyeol rushed to smoke his cigarette because he had a half of it. Seung Gi friendly smiled at his friend. Sometimes he felt really good that Chanyeol came to work at the harbor with him. Even Seung Gi wasn’t a chatty type but still sometimes it was good to talk to his friend. And Chanyeol was a really easy young man, who was really bright and smart guy. To be honest, Seung Gi pitied Chanyeol, because he was too smart to work as a fisherman and always smell like a fish. Seung Gi was sure that Chanyeol also didn’t like that fact, but he couldn’t do anything about it. It was a sad reality for poor Jeju-do island’s residents.

“Let’s go to work. Seems like we are going to get many fishes” said Seung Gi and patted Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

~*~

Jeju-do is not only about seafood. There are a lot of luxury hotels or big houses for vacation. Those houses or hotels are only suited for people who have a lot of money. Even tourists can’t afford to stay in some of the Jeju-do hotels. The Shilla Jeju Hotel is the most expensive hotel in Jeju-do. That beautiful and huge hotel was located near the sea and had an incredible huge pool. In one of this hotel’s suite room, one unlucky girl was trying to put on some really expensive dress.

“Mom, I can’t breathe” a young girl was standing in front of the mirror and looking at herself with a beautiful dress. She was enough tall and had a slender figure. She had long dark brown hair that perfectly matched her face shape and skin color.

“Yoona… my dear, you can take it off. But remember not to gain weight for at least 3 weeks. This dress will look perfectly on you while you will be playing the piano on the concert” girl’s mother waited for her daughter to take the dress off and when left with smiling face.

Yoona all 21 years lived as a rich girl. She was born in a rich family – a chaebol family. Since her birth she was pampered and was taught how to live as a ‘noble’ family member. At first she was enjoying this kind of life because she had everything. But when Yoona reached high school, she was fed with living a life where she was controlled by so many rules. She didn’t know how to enjoy life and feel free. Even she tried to rebel, that was useless. Even now, Yoona was told to try on the dress that her mother had picked for her. And she had always worn clothes that were picked by her mother.

“I can’t breathe in this room” said Yoona to her friend who was sitting on the sofa next to the window. Her friend lifted her head and looked at Yoona.

“This evening the hotel is holding a party near the pool. I heard that everyone is invited for that party. All young people without their parents. Do you want to go? I heard it’s going to be good” the girl again looked at her book that was in her hands. Yoona’s friend also was from a rich family. Not rich as Yoona’s family, but still a lady called Tiffany went through the same life as Yoona. From the first look you could tell that Tiffany had a different vibe from Yoona. Tiffany was more lady-a-like. Even she wore casual clothes, she looked awesome. Tiffany had a long, a little bit curvy, black hair. She wasn’t as tall as Yoona, and she looked more like a fairy than a chaebol daughter.

“You say so?” Yoona looked at her friend. “Maybe we should go. I would like to meet a normal guy there”

“You are desperate” Tiffany stood up and went towards her friend. “You already have a husband-to be”

“Yes, you are right” Yoona smiled at Tiffany and girls started to laugh really loudly.

Even Yoona wanted to do what she wants; she knew that it is forbidden for her. She already had too many responsibilities and one of them was to marry a son of chaebol family. In fact, she was disappointed about it and really liked this idea. Yoona wasn’t lucky with guys, so she was happy that she already has someone who will marry her. Actually, the guy was a good looking and very nice, so Yoona had no problem with it. But still she liked going to parties and taking a look to other guys. It was her hobby.

On the other hand, Tiffany was different from Yoona. Tiffany’s father gave her a freedom, so she went with different guys that had different social status: from chaebol to just an ordinary delivery boy. She truthfully searched for someone who can become her future husband. Also, Tiffany wasn’t very picky, because she really wished to be loved by someone.

“Let’s choose clothes for tonight!” excited said Tiffany and grabbed Yoona’s hand. Yoona already knew that they are going to mall, that was nearby, to buy some new clothes.

 

~*~

It was almost dark. Darkness as usually came too soon to the Jeju-do. For fishermen early evening meant that they have to deliver their caught fishes to the restaurants, because only in evening Jeju-do restaurants are usually filled with hungry people. Who would refuse a fresh fish for dinner?

Seung Gi and Chanyeol were almost finished their work. They were putting caught fishes into a small truck that was ready to deliver those fishes to the restaurants. This work was more difficult than just catching fishes, because you had to use all your strength. Seung Gi and Chanyeol were sweating like they were burning. It was still cold outside, but they both looked like it was already summer’s evening.

“Guys! Hurry up!” a young man showed his head from the truck’s window and shouted at them. It was more like a friendly shouting and guy was smiling.

“Bastard! You should help us to do it. It’s freaking hard” Chanyeol swept his sweater from his forehead.

“Hey, don’t call your hyeong like that”

“Hyeong… Hyeong… Hyeong, who is doing nothing and just driving an old truck” Chanyeol was mumming to himself while he was putting fishes into the truck.

The guy came out from the truck. He was as tall as Chanyeol and Seung Gi, or even a little bit taller than Seung Gi, but almost the same as Chanyeol. That guy was called Shim Changmin. He was the same age as Seung Gi, but still called Seung Gi as his hyeong. Shim Changmin liked being called hyeong, but he hated being the same age as his friends. He looked like a Korean model and was Jeju-do’s star and the most respected young guy, because he took an exam to enter Seoul National University. This was at that time, when his family was enough rich to pay for his studies, but his father’s business were ruined and his father took a lot of debts. Changmin had to give up and started to face a cruel life in a harbor as other young men. If Chanyeol was called a smart guy, then Changmin is a genius. He was good at everything, that’s why every girl was dying in order to get him by his side. But the worst thing about Changmin is that he only thought about himself while being with stranger. He had a cold man image, but to Chanyeol and Seung Gi this ‘cold man’ was only a mask.

“Changmin hyeong, can you put these last two baskets with fish?” almost crying said Chanyeol. He wasn’t used to work a lot and used all his strength.

“Okay…” Changmin took off his jacket and lifted fish baskets with one go. He put those baskets into the truck and waved his friends to get in. “You know… Eric said that we are going to deliver those fishes to Shilla hotel. It will be a big party…”

Changmin couldn’t finish his sentence because Seung Gi and Chanyeol started to shout and make various noises. Changmin also laughed with them, because all of them knew what means to deliver fishes to Shilla hotel. Delivering fishes to hotel when it is holding a party it’s like a free invitation to rich people party. Those three guys were professionals in those parties. Even every rich people knew that they were poor; no one tried to make them leave. To rich people these guys were as attractive as a very rare animal. At those parties rich girls tried to get those three guys and have fun with them. And all three guys enjoyed girls’ company and sometimes one-night stands. Even guys were interested in Changmin, Seung Gi and Chanyeol – rich guys drank with them, asked for help regarding girls. At this kind of night three friends could forget how hard they have to work every day, how they stink and how their dreams fly away.

 

~*~

Yoona couldn’t believe Tiffany’s taste for clothes. She promised Tiffany to let her take care of clothes, because girls wanted to catch some hot guys. Even if it’s for guys, for Yoon it was a way too much. Yoona was wearing a really short pinkish white dress. That dress highlighted Yoona’s figure and it was too embarrassing. While Yoona was thinking about way to cover up her body, Tiffany was happy seeing her in the mirror. She looked like a modern princess: her curvy body figure perfectly fitted for red mini dress. Her black hair covered her shoulders and it looked really y. Yoona was sure that Tiffany will get a guy in the party.

“You look gorgeous!” Yoona stood next to her friend and looked a little bit sulky. “Why you always look so confident and y like a real woman?” In her heart, Yoona understood why Tiffany always looked much better than Yoona, who was always wearing brandy clothes. Tiffany just lived for herself, she had dreams, while Yoona was living for her parents especially for her mother, who wanted to make Yoona a real lady with good husband from good and rich family.

“Girl, don’t be sulky” Tiffany held Yoona’s face. “Today forget about your parents expectations and live for yourself. You look awesomely innocent and y girl with this dress! I made a perfect choice” laughed Tiffany.

Tiffany was always near Yoona, who was locked up in her home. Tiffany toughed Yoona, how to climb trees or spit far away. Even she was scolded every time she went to Yoona’s home, Tiffany didn’t stop teaching Yoona about a world outside chaebol’s world. Yoona learned how to be a lady in front of chaebol families, but in front of Tiffany Yoona was totally different.

“Done” after some minutes said Tiffany and gave Yoona a mirror. Yoona’s make up was totally different from her usual make up and her hair looked nicer. She was always tying up her hair, but this time she didn’t tie and it looked better. “Are you ready?” like a satan girl asked Tiffany.

“Of course!” Yoona was smiling really brightly. She was excited about the fact that in the party she would be a different girl. Yoona looked at walking Tiffany and tried to imitate her confident walking. Yoona’s first time going to youth party should be successful.

 

~*~

“The last two baskets!” innocently shouted Chanyeol and smiled till his ears. “Seung Gi hyeong, for you it’s the heaviest” Chanyeol walked towards the kitchen, where they had to put all baskets with fish and seafood. “Hyeong, hurry up!” Chanyeol was climbing the stairs when he turned around to see, what his hyeong’s were doing.

“Chanyeol-ah!” Changmin and Seung Gi shouted at Chanyeol at the same time, but it was too late. Chanyeol bumbed into two nicely dressed girls and threw all fish from the basket. It would be okay if it was only thrown fish, but some fishes landed on two girls who were lying on the floor. As expected, Chanyeol set his mind on catching fishes and didn’t mind those girls. At that time Seung Gi and Changmin understood that they got into a big trouble.

“Chanyeol-ah, don’t!” Changmin reacted faster than Seung Gi, who was still in a daze thinking how much cost those dresses. Changmin ran towards girls and handed his hands to them. Girl with red dressed while laughing took his hand and stood up. The other one looked more shocked and was looking just at fishes that were lying next to her.

“Yoona, just take his hand” said the other girl.

Yoona listened and took Changmin’s hand. She looked worried and a little bit scared.

“Even if I stink like a fish, my hands not dirty. You don’t have to be scared about some kind of infections.” Changmin didn’t have any emotion in his face. He perfectly knew what kind of girls are those princess-like chaebol family’s daughters. Changmin just wanted to reduce the amount that they will have to pay for those dresses.

“You look funny!” Tiffany spotted Chanyeol who was trying to gather all fishes in the basket. Tiffany went near him and lifted one small fish. “Here” she put fish into the basket. Chanyeol looked at her with his big eyes. “Ha ha ha ha, you look like monkey. What’s your name?”

“Ah… yes. Hello. I’m Park Chanyeol” he looked like a scared kitty that had to face a big dog. “Thank you for the fish… and I’m sorry…” Chanyeol pointed at Tiffany’s dress that was ruined.

“It’s okay. Now it looks better. I’m Hwang Stephanie, but everyone calls me Tiffany” girl smiled at Chanyeol. “Are you in hurry?”

“Ah… yes” Chanyeol was too surprised to talk, because this chaebol girl looked really nice. A way too nice for people like Chanyeol.

“I will help you”

“Don’t need, miss. We are going to help him, right, Changmin?” Seung Gi finally woke up and neared the incident place. He bowed to Tiffany and Yoona and said “I’m really sorry. We are going to pay for those dresses… somehow” the last word he said quietly, because he didn’t want to be embarrassed. “Changmin, Chanyeol, let’s all bow to those misses” Chanyeol and Changmin looked shocked. It was their first time seeing Seung Gi with manners. They did as Seung Gi told and bowed to Yoona and Tiffany.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to pay” finally Yoona woke up from the shock. “You don’t have money for it” Yoona looked innocent while saying those words, but Tiffany really wanted to hit her, because she couldn’t get the situation. Yoona didn’t mean anything bad, she didn’t care about the dress and she didn’t need money for it.

“Miss, we can pay for it. We are truly sorry” Seung Gi’s pride was hurt and he really wanted to teach that girl, because she was right. Those dresses must cost more than their 3 month’s pay.

“Guys, instead of paying back for our dresses, could you go with us to the party? It’s going to be in this hotel and actually we don’t like those snobs. You three could keep our company. What do you think?” Tiffany quickly thought a good idea. She knew that Yoona is going to ask her a lot of questions. But in reality, Tiffany was more comfortable with poor guys and she wanted Yoona to see that poor people are more interesting than those young chaebols, who just want to have with girls.

“Tiffany…” Yoona whispered to her friend’s ear.

“So, do you want?” Tiffany showed that Yoona has to be quiet.

“Well, we were going to that party, too. We are regular at Shilla’s parties” said Changmin. His pride was the biggest from all three guys. But, also, he was the most logical from them, so he wanted to take that ask, because they didn’t have money for the dresses. “What do you think, guys?”

Seung Gi and Chanyeol had to agree, because Changmin was their ‘boss’.

“Okay” said those two.

“So, you can finish your job and we are going to pick other dresses… well, Yoona is going. Not me. I like fish art at my dress” Tiffany smiled and waved to guys. Seung Gi immediately thought that Tiffany was different from chaebol girls and somehow he wanted to keep her company.

 

~*~

“Tiffany, you are crazy… How could you invite strangers to be with us at the party?” Yoona and Tiffany were walking to the party that was held near hotel’s pool.

“You are not worried that they are fishermen? You are worried because they are strangers?” Tiffany smiled at Yoona. “You are cute. Yoona, you’ve never had a friend from other world. They live differently and they think differently. The words you say a while ago… don’t say those words to them, they feel like you are looking down on them”

“But I’m not. I just know that they can’t pay, so…”

“You hurt their pride. Yoona, everyone in this world has pride. Oh, look! Our new friends” Tiffany waved to Seung Gi, Chanyeol and Changmin. They saw them but hesitated to go to them. So Tiffany and Yoona walked towards them. “Hi, again” Tiffany smiling said her greetings. “Let’s introduce to each other. I’m going to be first. I’m Hwang Stephanie or Tiffany. Girl, you are next”

“Hello…” Yoona hesitated. She had never introduced herself, those things did her parents. “I’m Im Yoona” plainly said she and waited for guys reactions, but nothing happened.

“I’m Shim Changmin. Nice to meet you.” Changmin felt that Yoona is uncomfortable and timid, so he wanted to rescue from that kind of feeling. “Maknae, you go next” Changmin hit Chanyeol.

“Hello” in his face was big and innocent smile. “I’m Park Chanyeol. Not long ago I’m graduated from high school. Nive to meet you.” Chanyeol was still hyper, because he still didn’t taste hard life’s taste. He still didn’t know how hard and disappointing life could be.

“I’m Lee Seung Gi” short and clear introduction was perfect for Seung Gi who found this situation uncomfortable.

A short break of quiet was needed in this situation, but Tiffany immediately broke this moment with her lively voice.

“Yoona, we have a dongsaeng. Chanyeol, you can call us noona”

“Ahh… Yes, Tiffany noona”

“Perfect!”

Tiffany, Changmin and Chanyeol seemed to found some interesting topics to talk and they were laughing and chatting non stop. Seung Gi felt strange standing beside Yoona, who didn’t talk and was looking at the ground. When Seung Gi turned around, he couldn’t find his friends and Tiffany. He wanted to look for them, but he didn’t want to leave Yoona alone. It looked like it was her first time in this kind of party and she didn’t know what to do. Seung Gi wondered about her. He was really curious.

“Are you searching for a guy?” Seung Gi didn’t want to be mean, but it just happened this way and he couldn’t swell his words.

“Huh?” Yoona looked shocked. “I think you are the one, who is searching for a rich girl, that’s why you go to these parties” Yoona was innocent and had a big heart, but when she is angry, she turns into ill-mannered girl. Yoona felt that this guy wanted to make her look awful and bully her.

Seung Gi smirked. He neared to Yoona and put his hands on her shoulders. Yoona stepped back a little, but Seung Gi stepped forward. She did that again and suddenly felt that she can’t feel hard ground.

“Ah” she shouted while falling in the pool. Seung Gi grabbed her hand with a smirk in this face. “You bastard! Your dirty hand…” Yoona couldn’t say anything more, because Seung Gi let of her hand and she fell into the pool. Every guest looked at falling Yoona and she knew that this was her biggest embarrassment. Suddenly she felt that someone grabbed her in the pool. It was Seung Gi. His hands very strong and from his wet t-shirts Yoona could see his well-built body. Yoona felt hot, because she was really close to a guy’s chest. She couldn’t think that this guy is the one who cause this embarrassment to her. Seung Gi saw how Yoona looked at him and he felt the urge to tease Yoona. He stood her up in the pool, he lifted her head and gave her a kiss. It wasn’t a simple kiss, it was a deep kiss that moved Yoona’s heart.

This kiss was the beginning of Seung Gi’s and Yoona’s tragedy. 

 


I hope you enjoyed reading and if you like comment, please, and subscribe~~~ Thank you!