Present

Every Day

Hoon's head swam with a buzzing feeling of elation. After all, it wasn't everyday that he came home, and his whole family was home. And not every day was his Hime's fifth birthday either. Eunsook had, upon hearing him enter, stopped whatever she'd been doing and run up to him. She was so happy to see him, and it made his heart flutter.

 

“Appa! Appa!” she called. He finished removing his shoes, sliding on slippers before picking her up. She kissed him quickly on the cheek before hugging him.

 

“Happy birthday, Hime,” he told her happily.

 

She pulled away from him, still in his arms and looked him in the eyes. “I made you a present, Appa,” she announced.

 

“You made me a present? But it's your birthday!” he protested.

 

She nodded emphatically, and indicated that she wanted put down. He did as she asked, and wandered into the kitchen to find Serin and ask her why exactly Eunsook had needed to make him a present. He found her icing a cake, looking a bit disheveled while Taekhyun played nearby, pressing on the keys of a child-sized toy computer.

 

“Hi, Hoonie,” she said, remaining focused on her icing.

 

Hoon bent down and picked up Taekhyun, who cast him a concerned look and protested, pushing against Hoon, as he wanted put back down. Serin icing off of her finger before turning to Hoon to take Taekhyun from him and setting the two-year-old back in his original spot. Hoon pouted at her. “He'll be happier playing until he's eaten. Just wait.”

 

“Okay,” Hoon huffed.

 

“Don't give me that,” she admonished lightly. “I'm kind of stressed out right now. I don't need the added headache of listening to him fuss.”

 

Hoon sighed, walked up to her and wrapped her in a hug. She let her tension escape as he hugged her, relaxing in his arms. “I'm sorry. I'll wait.” She kissed him quickly then, before pulling from his arms to get back to work.

 

Hoon sat at the table and watched her, admiring her figure from behind. Her attractiveness was astounding, and he had difficulty pulling his eyes away from her. Eunsook, however, interrupted his ogling, running up to him with a gift bag in her hand.

 

“Here you go, Appa!” she exclaimed, handing him the gift.

 

“Why are you giving me this on your birthday though? You're supposed to be the one getting presents today.”

 

“I wanted you to have it now,” she explained. “It's a present for your birthday. Gramma said it's only a few days from now.”

 

Serin was watching the exchange, and when Hoon gave her a questioning look, she shook her head and shrugged. Obviously, she knew nothing about it. “Why don't you wait, Eunsookie? Give it to him on his actual birthday,” Serin suggested.

 

The girl pouted, looking upset. “I want him to have it now,” she insisted.

 

Though Hoon agreed that she should probably wait, he immediately gave in when he saw that she was going to cry if she wasn't permitted to give him the gift now.”That's fine, Hime,” he told her. “I'll open it now.”

 

Her sadness vaporized, and all smiles again, she handed the bag to Hoon. Obviously, his mom had helped her out quite a bit. The paper was done exactly the way she always did it. He reached in, removed the tissue paper, and then pulled out the gift. A rainbow assortment of pony beads on an adjustable bracelet, the center of which spelled out “APPA” in beads. “Oh wow,” he exclaimed, touched. “This is perfect, Eunsookie!” He put it on his wrist immediately. Though not the faniest of gifts he'd received, this one meant so much more than the rest. This was from his precious, beloved daughter. “Thank you,” he told her, opening his arms in invitation for her to come hug him, which she did without hesitation. She then climbed onto his lap, and situated herself comfortably there.

 

“Oooo pretty,” Serin expressed. “Did Grandma help you?”

 

“Yes,” Eunsook answered, nodding. “But not too much.”

 

They all smiled happily, and Serin got back to work on the cake so it would be finished when the guests arrived. Eunsook was too young to really have close friends, but a young neighbor girl from a few floors down and a girl from church were coming to the party, as well as an assortment of relatives, including Amanda, Soohyun, and their eight-month old daughter.

 

As Serin wrapped up her preparations, the first guests began to arrive. Everyone had a gift for Eunsook, and they all chatted and ate and enjoyed the company. Serin tasked Hoon with feeding Taekhyun, an assignment Hoon was happy to have. The boy finished eating and then curled against Hoon's chest for a nap. Serin waltzed up to him from somewhere between all the guests, placed a hand lovingly on Taekhyun's head, and said, “You shouldn't let him sleep yet. He'll wake up too early.” Hoon nodded his understand and gently rearranged his son to keep him from sleeping. But though he was glad to have an opportunity to hold and interact with Taekhyun more than usual, Eunsook was the focus. It was her birthday. Glancing down at his wrist, he admired her bracelet and couldn't help the grin on his face.

 

-

 

After everyone had left, the apartment had been put back in order, and Taekhyun and Eunsook where both sleeping peacefully, Hoon and Serin crawled into bed. They were both exhausted from a long, busy day. “All your effort paid off,” he said as he adjusted himself under the comforter.

“Thanks,” she answered, resting her head against the pillow, and taking a deep, relaxing breath. “Eunsook enjoyed herself, and that's what mattered.”

 

“She's so precious,” Hoon mused, touching the bracelet on his wrist idly. “How is she so sweet?”

 

“I think her sweet, considerate father has a lot to do with that,” Serin replied.

Hoon smiled wryly at the slightly disguised compliment and shook his head in denial. Rolling onto his side so that his torso was pressed against Serin's back, he draped an arm around her waist, and said, “I think she's inherited her mother's kindness and big heart.”

 

Serin smiled happily though Hoon couldn't see her face. “How about we say it's from both of her parents?” she suggested.

 

Hoon kissed the top of her shoulder once, nuzzling against the back of her neck. “Sounds accurate to me.”

 

With a sigh of contentment, Serin bid him, “Goodnight,” and lying together comfortably in bed, both drifted into a peaceful slumber.