Chapter 5

The Mask Beneath Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I did not understand why he would come back.

 

I stared into the distance, ignoring his presence beside me. He seemed to be doing the same as well for he hadn’t spoken ever since Mrs. Lee left us to catch up on what happened during the times we hadn’t met. But she didn’t know that there’s nothing to talk about. Nothing at all.

I leaned against the wall, letting the soft melody of the music flow through the studio. I opened my eyes when he broke the silence.

“How have you been doing these years?” He asked as though he was my friend.

“Good. Better than in high school.” I coldly replied. I saw him nod his head at my answer.

“So I see that you’re a dancer now.” He looked at me, waiting for a response. “That’s good.” He continued when I just kept my silence. “A dancer’s good. I saw that you were practicing an item, not bad.”

“I’m actually not bad of a dancer.” He caught my attention at the mention of that and I turned to him.

“You dance?” I asked.

He nodded his head and got up to the player. I saw him fiddling through the list of music before selecting one. I hear the familiar melody of one of my favorite songs play through the speakers.

 

 

I watched his body move along to the song. He waited for a while before starting to pretend to play a piano in the air. He bit his lips a few times, maintaining eye contact with me. He smirked a little when he saw how mesmerized I was by his dancing. He was in synch with the music perfectly, heating each beat right. Each move was fluid. His body waves were fluid.

His dance fit just right with the music. Expressing the music correctly was what he was doing perfectly.

When the song ended, he stayed in his ending pose, all the while maintaining eye contact with me. I kept my straight face on as he took a seat beside me. “So how was it?” He asked.

I shrugged. “It’s okay.”

He seemed taken aback by my reply. “Just okay? Think you can do better?”

He sounded like he was challenging me. A challenge I will take.

“Maybe.” I shrugged again while I walked forward to change the music. I stood in the center of the studio as I waited for the music to play. I needn’t look at him to know that he was staring at me intently. I could feel his stare on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter