Chapter 2

The Mask Beneath Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"From the small frail girl, she now became the better she should have been."

 

 

I sat down at the edge of the rooftop. I looked at the scenery in front of me.

I watched the cars pass by. I watched the cherry blossoms that were appearing since it was spring. I stretched my hand in front of my face, avoiding the sunlight. I squinted my eyes and look at my hand. The sunlight formed a beautiful shadow on the ground beside me.

Wasn’t it weird of how something so simple like sunlight and a hand could make something so beautiful like a shadow? Shadows follow us everywhere. No one can get rid of them.

I put down my hand and allowed myself to soak up the sunlight. I smiled as a breeze came, sending my hair flying all directions. I let my feet daggle over the edge.

I was not afraid of falling down to my death. As much as I would like to die, I couldn’t bring myself to do so. I was too afraid. Too afraid to leave my mother alone with no other kin. Too afraid of admitting defeat to Hyori. Too afraid of death. Maybe one day I would accidentally fall. I would accept that as fate.

Wasn’t it weird of how one will never know when they will die?

Everyone was in the classroom while I was here, skipping class. It felt good. I wouldn’t get judged by people in class for my new forming bruises. I tripped over someone’s leg in class again. “Sorry.” He said. “Sorry that you’re such a klutz.” After saying that, he high fived with his other friends.

I closed my eyes and focused on listening to my surroundings. I listened to the birds calling their mates. I listened to the cars that drove very fast. I listened to the honks of impatient drivers who were probably irritated by someone who was crossing the road too slow for their liking. I listened to the rustle of leaves when a breeze passed by. I took a deep breath and let myself breathe in the good morning air.

I listened to the door of the rooftop being opened. The door being opened. I opened my eyes at the sound of a new person being on the rooftop. Weird. No one was supposed to be up here, they should be in class. I have been here almost all the time. Not once has anyone stepped foot here.

I turned around to see my new partner was. I met the eyes of a man who was really popular in school. Kim Jongin aka Kai.

Kai was the school hottie. He was popular

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter