Chapter 4

The Mask Beneath Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It seemed as if fate was playing a game on me. The guy who I thought was gone, came back.

 

I entered the heaven I have always dreamed of. The dance studio.

I plugged my phone to the speaker and played relaxing music. I sat on the floor and stretched. Only the sound of piano keys being pressed could be heard in the studio. I closed my eyes and listened intently to the music. It entered my ears and calmed my mind. I opened my legs wide to a 180 degree line and laid my body on the floor, into a middle split.

I got up and stepped towards the ballet pole nailed to the mirrors covering an entire wall of the studio. I propped my right leg on it and touched it with my left arm and did the same for the other side.

I brought down my leg and stopped the music. I searched through my phone for the right song and played it when I found the right one.

The song filled the room. I moved my limbs to the song, the rhythm of it, and the lyrics of it. I monitored my movements through the mirror, making sure each point each move I made was accurate. I concentrated on the dance and only the dance.

I ignored everything around me. I ignored my surrounding. Within seconds, I was not in the dance studio. I was in another world, away from reality. Safe. I was safe from reality. The other world had only me and the music. Nothing was to interrupt me.

I was only able to enter here only when I’m alone and dancing. Never has anyone entered this world of mine. I don’t know what they would think of me or my world. What if they find that I was weird? What if they think that this world of mine was ugly like what I used to be? This was the only place where I escape everything. Escape from reality.

Reality is where fake people are. There are so many hypocrites, backstabbers, two-faced masks. The list goes on with many other cruel adjectives. Some you can never imagine. Sometimes you would think one is nice but all of that is a façade. They are actually monsters in hiding. Beware

Reality is where stress is. Many times I have sat at a café and saw only a few people were truly relaxing and enjoying their time. Some may look like they are but it was a façade. Every few minutes, they would be checking their watches for the time, biting their lips ever so slightly in nervousness. They were worried about things. They may be important or unimportant stuff. Sometimes it’s not a necessary thing to be worried about. When I looked outside the big glass window and onto the streets, I would see people dressed in suits and formal wear walking with hurried steps to their destination. A frown may form on their tired faces.

Reality is where people hide their true feelings. They are afraid of being judged by others, being the subject of the gossipers of places, rejection, embarrassment, and seen weak. Weak is bad. Weak brings you down.

Reality is where some people are too afraid of being loved. They are loved by their parents but what they really want is true love. Love from their one, the one. But isn’t love hard to find now? Especially true love. But all they want is to be loved truly and maybe they loved the other truly as well.

Now that you think of it, reality is nightmare isn’t it?

 

I opened my eyes when the music was stopped. I saw Mrs. Lee, the ow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter