Chapter 6

Connected with a red string

 

I woke up very early the next morning to go shopping. Now that I regained my memories, I should leave Japan very soon and buy souvenirs for my friends. I hurried, not wanting to wake Myungsoo up. He was sleeping in the bed next to mine and his blanket was already on the floor. I picked it up and wrapped it around him. I tore a page from Sungjong’s notebook, wrote: Gone shopping, and put it at his bedside table. I know he doesn’t care but I wrote it so when the managers and the others call, he’ll know what to say.

                I went out the hotel; it was my first time strolling around Japan alone again. Thanks to Woohyun’s Japanese book, I managed to ask one Japanese passerby where the nearest mall is.

                I followed the guy’s instruction and walked there. It was an outdoor shopping mall. There are many stalls around and they almost have everything so I didn’t have a hard time shopping.

                Walking slowly, Plastic bags on both my hands, I noticed someone was following me. Afraid that I will have another encounter with a bad person, I grabbed a perfume I bought, turned, sprayed it and ran.

                “Wait!” Someone said, his voice sounds familiar so I stopped. He was coughing.

                “L?”, I asked

                “Yeah”, he said, still coughing,

                “Why are you here? Why are you dressed like that?”, I asked looking at him from head to toe. He was wearing white overalls with a blonde wig.

                “Ah! I want to go shopping too, and uh..The hyungs said I should go after you in case you’ll lose your memory again and about my outfit...uh”, He paused” Don’t you know this is the latest trend these days?”

                “Oh... You look corny. Come on, I’ll buy you some decent clothes”, I said and grabbed his hand. This time he didn’t hesitated but he tried breaking free from my grip and holds my hand.              

                “ I knew Japan more than you do so I’ll lead the way” He said, smirking.

                “O..Okay” I was shocked but I just followed him.

                We shopped all day and strolled around Japan together. People were looking at us, whispering to each other but I didn’t care, I was with him and that’s what all that matters.

                We stopped at a Sushi restaurant when it’s time for lunch.

                “Do you have a spoon or fork?”, I asked the waiter as he was asking our order.

                “No, I’m sorry”, The waiter replied.

                I sighed. ‘Ugh! He will be mad once he realize I didn’t participate while he was teaching me how to use the chopsticks’!, I thought. Trying hard and imitating him again.

                “What are you doing?” He asked, looking at my hands. The sound of his voice made me stutter.

                “Using chopsticks just how you taught me”, I said, trying to look mad.

                “You’re not doing it right”, he said, poker face on.

                “ Then you didn’t taught me right!”

                He stood up and I closed my eyes again, shielding my eyes with my hands in case he’ll hurt me.

                “What are you doing?” he asked, looking at me with his murderous stare. “Do you think I’ll hurt you?”, he asked. “Do it like this”.

                He held my hand again, Just like the last time, and I was staring at him.  He snapped his hand.

                “Ya! Are you listening? I won’t teach you again,” He said.

                “Why do you have to be so gorgeous?”, Oops! I accidentally said it out loud. “Ah forget it! You’re distracting me, I can’t understand”

                “I get that all the time,” he said.

                “Ikaw na, Ikaw na gwapo” I said with my local tongue.

                “What?” He asked.

                “Nothing”

                We talked for hours at the restaurant. No awkwardness at all. The cryptex finally unlocked.

                “Why did you go to Japan?”,he asked.

                “To find my destiny”, I said, laughing.                         

                “What? You believe in that nonsense? What particular legend?”, he asked, resisting the urge to laugh.

                “It’s nothing. About the red string..”

                I explained to him what it is.

                “Who do you think it is?”, he asked.

                “ I don’t know. But I do hope it’s Sungmin Oppa!”

                “Sungmin hyung?”, he asked while dancing sorry,sorry that made me smile “You like him? The aegyo king?”

                “Yes, but as if! I’m just risking my chance and took a vacation here”             

                “Then do his specialty!”

                “You mean aegyo?”, I asked but did it anyway. As usual, it didn’t suit me and he was laughing at me. I laughed harder.

                “Why are you laughing?” he asked, keeping his laughing face.

                “You look funny when you laugh!”, I said, still laughing but he stopped.

                “Why? Why did you stop? Laugh more, it looks cute!”, I said, but he just smiled.

                “Just eat!”, he said,, shoving a sushi to my mouth.

                We left the restaurant at about 4 pm and walked home together. I want to chat with him more but if I talked too much, he will realize I have gained my memory and I will be forced to leave him. So I just hummed a song entitled: Can U smile.

Deceiving him before even being friends with him looks bad, so I decided to tell the truth.

                He was already lying on his bed, and I lied on mine.  Nervously, I said: “Oppa, May I talk with you?”

                “What?”

                “Umm.. What will happen If I gain my memory back?”

                “Then you should know where to go.”

                “Do you know where my other things are?”

                “Howon hyung got it from the robber; I think he brought it to Korea. Which reminds me..”. He stood up and got something from the drawer. I stared at him nervously thinking of how I can tell him. He returned with something in his hands.

                "Sit up", He commanded

                "Huh? What?", Surprised but followed what he said

                "Close your eyes", he said and I did. I felt something was touching my ears and thinking whether it's his hands caressing it.

                "Now open", and so I did. I can see everything more clearly now. It's like looking at him in a High quality video. "It got hit by the car and so we brought it to the lens store to fix it"

                "Thank you so much", I said. Darn! He's being nice when I'm about to tell the truth. T^T

                “Ah.. oppa..” I paused, then said, “I remember now”

                “I know”, he said,

                “How?”, I asked, my eyes widening but keeping the cool in my voice

                “You accidentally called me L, you know why you are in Japan, and as we’re going home, you hummed one of our songs”, he replied very calmly/

                “Oh” I said, thinking how idiotic I am.

                ‘We have to go back to Korea, tomorrow. Are you coming? Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.”

                “Yes, thank you but why?”

                “I know who you are before everyone knew”

                “I know..”

                “You saved me once, and I’ll make it up to you”

                “Okay, thanks.”