Scars and Callouses

Hard and Soft

You looked down at your hand as Kyungsoo gently it. You guys were in his car; it was dark and he was taking you home after a dinner out with friends.  He had one hand on the tyre and one holding yours, thumb brushing over your knuckles. His hands were beautiful, you knew. His fingers were long, his palm smooth and masculine. You looked down at your own and frowned.

Playing the cello came with a price. Although you quite liked your slim fingers, the hard strings and bow had left big callouses around your fingertips and hardened the skin. Also, there was a scar on the side of your right hand-the hand he was holding now-, smack bang in the middle. Impossible to miss.

And it wasn't that you cared normally anyway. Deep inside you knew Kyungsoo didn't care either, he might've even loved you for it, but right now petty images flashed through your mind of the advertisement you had seen on TV. It had been for a jewellery brand. The concept was couple rings.

Kyungsoo with another girl. Kyungsoo holding hands with another girl. Kyungsoo holding hands with another girl with beautiful and soft hands.

The ad clearly promoted soft and dainty hands being clasped in protection and love. Your hands looked dainty enough but they certainly weren't soft. One touch and even a stranger would know this was the hand of a person who worked.

And the scar. Your mind flashed back to the incident that had caused it but you knew, as much pain it caused you now, you would never take it back.

~~~

You were fourteen and Kyungsoo was fifteen.

Your whole grade was on a school trip to a small fishing town and you were incredibly excited. As you got off the train, you laughed at the saltiness of the air and dragged Kyungsoo down the steps with you.

Happily chatting with him, you descended from the platform with the rest of the grade. You suddenly smelt smoke and wrinkled your nose at the man who puffed it out in front of you. He was looking at his phone and there were earplugs in his ears.

The lit end glowed threatening in the semi-darkness and you noticed with alarm that it was drawing close to the cheek of a sleeping toddler being carried beside him. Ignorant, the man pulled the cigarette away from his lips and towards the baby's face, and you knew that if you didn't intervene, the sleeping child would be burned.

Without thinking, you quickly ed your hand in, placing it on the baby's cheek; right in the path of the cigarette. You gave a hiss of pain as it made contact with your skin and an arm immediately pulled the man back. The man walked on, still unaware, swallowed up by the sea of students and you looked into Kyungsoo's horrified eyes.

'Are you alright?' he asked urgently.

You nodded, tears in your eyes, and covered your burn with your other hand. There was nothing you could do on the stairs about it and you it up until you got out of the crowd. Once you reached outside, you uncovered your burn and jumped up and down, blowing on it. It had started to bleed.

'Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow,' you said.

'What were you thinking?' said one of your friends.

'To be honest,' you smiled back sheepishly, 'I really wasn't.'

'Here,' Kyungsoo said, stepping forward. In his hand was a tissue that he'd wetted with water. 'Give me your hand.'

You gave it to him and he gently pressed it onto our burn. Your hand hurt a little at the initial contact but the pain faded and gave way to relief as the cool water soothed the burn. He took it off to rewet it and you winced when you saw the state of your skin.

'It's gonna scar,' you said, sighing.

'And it's going to look so ugly,' your other friend said, sighing with you.

'Shut up!' you pretended to hit her and she laughed jokingly.

'I still think your hand will look pretty,' Kyungsoo quietly said and you look up in surprise.

His head was down, focusing on putting the tissue back on, and you felt a blush creeping over your face.

'Thanks,' you said, voice small.

To be honest, it was one of the best school trips you ever had.

~~~

'Hey, Kyungsoo?'

'Mhm?'

'Do you think my hands are ugly?'

'...'

'I mean, you know, compared to-'

'No.'

'No?'

'No.'

'...'

'I  think they're beautiful.'

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you as always for reading :)