Dealing with Everyone one-by-one

Of all Coincidences

May 31 (Monday)

I don’t know whether to think that today will be good or bad. Chang-Joon will definitely be bad, meeting Kwang-Yeon might be bad, and telling Eonni about EXO will most likely be good.

Let’s just tackle one person at a time. First, Chang-Joon. I waited for him at the park like he said, getting more anxious as more time passed by. Being late to school wasn’t worrisome because I nearly begged Yongsun to let me borrow his bike again. He said he’ll just tandem with his friend then.

It was nearly 7:20 and if I don’t leave in 5 minutes then I’ll be late for school. I started looking around to see if he just walked past me, making me wait as a joke.

When I tried to crane my neck to see if he was in the crowd at the bus stop, something in front of me grabbed my shoulders and pushed me. I nearly fell, but the hands never let go of my shoulders, only imitating the feeling of being pushed. It convinced me enough that I flailed to hold onto something, letting out a yelp as I did so.

Once I was stabled, Chang-Joon started laughing again, “You said don’t scare you at night, it’s morning now~~~”

“No I said, Don’t sneak up on people especially at night, that means you shouldn’t do it at anytime!” I growled at him.

His laughter subsided and he turned cocky, “Like I would listen to you, my little babo. Anyway, you ready to hear my request?”

His smug look didn’t settle the anxiousness in my gut. “Okay, lets hear it out.”

“My request is that you stop treating me like a stranger by using -sshi with my name. Call me Oppa.”

“…” I was speechless, so I could only him an incredulous look. The only word that came out after was, “Why?”

“I’ve known you for a way longer time than you did Dae-yeon so I can’t say that I don’t feel hurt that you accept a stranger over someone you’ve known your whole life.”

“It’s Dae-Yeol and girls usually call guys Oppa if they are a positive attribute to their life, not a pain in the contribution.”

“Jong Kyu is a pain in your , but you still call him Oppa.”

“Point taken, but he’s my brother, I have to call him Oppa.”

“Anyway, that’s my request, for you to call me Oppa. You said you repay your debts so repay it.”

“It’ll be hard to adjust, but I’ll try it. Starting after school, definitely not now. Speaking of now, I’m going to late!!” I nearly shouted because it was 7:31. This is worse than Friday!!!!

“Put Yongsun’s bike back then, I’ll give you a ride.” When he didn’t see me moving, he took the bike and lock, putting it in it’s rightful slot on the rack.

After he finished locking up the bike, he took my hand and took me to his car. I may be into cars a lot, but I couldn’t guess the model of this car. Must be some exotic car, this rich bastard. He opened the door and lightly pushed me inside. I adjusted myself and put on my seatbelt. He started the engine and drove out of the complex area.

In the car, I was arguing with Chang-Joon that I’m not going to owe him another request for this. He chuckled and said that I had to call him Oppa starting from now then. So when I arrived at school, I got out of the car and exaggeratedly said, “Thanks Oppaaaaaaa” He had that cocky smile before driving off.

I went to class and was disappointed that it was history, Oppa nor Eonni were with me. A big sigh escaped from me, Okay first person down and honestly, I’m glad he didn’t want me to be his slave or anything to those extremities.

We took our finals last week for Science so today was free period. Math finals are scheduled today so that’s my fourth period. My finals had to be scheduled during my electives since I don’t have math classes.

My teacher may have given us nothing to do but that didn’t stop him from explaining to us how the subjects from freshmen to sophomore year differed. He was in the middle of explaining the difference between Algebra I and Algebra II, (Subjects I didn’t have to worry about) when there someone was knocking on the door. Don’t tell me it’s Kwang-Yeon. In walks the head teacher and Kwang-Yeon. All of my classmates were trying to hide in their laughter at the sight of the new student. I looked carefully and saw that my step-brother has, err, very feminine qualities. Well, it’s not like he hid it with the eyeliner and dyed hair.

Standing at the front of the class, he introduced himself in a very cheery voice, “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Choi Kwang-Yeon. It’s nice to meet you, please take care of me.” The guys in the back broke into laughter at the tone Kwang-Yeon took.

The teacher addressed them sternly, “What is so funny, Mr. Hwang and Mr. Seo?”

In betweens snickers, Hwang Jang-Geun sputtered out, “Because he’s so girly, are you gay, new kid?”

His words didn’t hurt Kwang-Yeon one bit, “Yes I am and you look pretty hot, too bad you have the maturity of a rat.”

Jang-Geun stopped his guffawing and glared. “What did you say?”

The head teacher cut in before Kwang-Yeon could make a snide remark, “The two of you stop. Mr. Hwang, I’ll be calling your parents today to discuss your behavior.” Jang-Geun mouth hung open that the head teacher took the new kid’s side. He just glared and made conversation with ‘Mr. Seo’ on the side.

My history teacher finally spoke up, “Okay so who wants Kwang-Yeon-goon to be their seat mate?”

There was only three seats, one next to Jang-Geun, one next to this very territorial girl that had the most crap anyone has every seen someone carry, and me. Since the other two options were a bust and I didn’t want Kwang-Yeon’s smile drop any further, I raised my hand. The entire class looked at me surprised because I tend to be territorial of my desk too.

Kwang-Yeon’s face lit up again and by the widening of his eyes, he recognized me. “Hyeri?” the class turned confused.

“In the flesh Kwang-Yeon.”

He was so happy to see me after all this time that he screamed across the classroom, “NOOOOOONNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAA.” He had ran to my seat and hugged the life out of me. Everyone was either recovering from Kwang-Yeon’s screech or they were just wondering how the hell did we know each other.

I laughed a little bit before correcting Kwang-Yeon, “I’m younger than you, Kwang-Yeon Oppa.”

Now it was his turn to be confused, “Wait, isn’t your birthday June 8th?”

“No, that’s Yongsun.”

“July 21st?”

“No that’s Daniel and Anthony’s birthday.”

“Then when’s your birthday?”

“Mine is in December and yours is September 19th which makes you older, hence Oppa.”

“OHHHHHHH, whoops my bad, but I’m still happy to see you Hyeri!”

“Yup, I can tell because I can’t breathe.” Thank you for painkillers.

He released me quickly, giving me an eyesmile. After that, he caught me up on everything after dad won the custody battle.

Daniel and Anthony entered elementary and are about to enter middle school, So Jin joined her school’s track team and is going to enroll into our school for her freshmen year, and that Kwang-Yeon realized he was homoual when he was 13.

He said he couldn’t help but be attracted to one of his teammates on the basketball team. When they were going to graduate middle school, Kwanggie (Nickname he wanted to be called by) found out they were going to different high schools. Kwanggie confessed to his teammate on their senior night for basketball.

The other guy had rejected him and was repulsed that his friend liked him intimately. Kwang-Yeon had an epiphany saying that he shouldn’t hide who he truly is, that’s probably what killed the possible little chance that he would have. That is why my step-brother is full on flaming with his eyeliner and blonde hair, speaking very elegantly, and has unnecessary accessories on his jacket and bag. I still love him though since he was the only one that was nice to me when I was in their household.

Once he was finished with all of his stories, he readjusted the way our chairs were before placing his head on my lap, exclaiming that for the 20 minutes we have left, he’s going to sleep. I nodded and took out my phone, Eonni had messaged me.

“Hey, Saeng, Dae-yeol is with me so you don’t need to text him separately. BTW Didju hear about the new kid?”

“No, but he is in my class. He’s my new seatmate.”

“Well, I heard he’s gay, is it true??”

“Yes, he is. Why is so important?”

“No-No-No, it’s not a problem, don’t misunderstand. I was only wondering ‘cause he’s the first gay boy we had in this school! Why don’t you friend him? XD” Actually, Kwang-Yeon is second…Joomin is first. And I’m guessing Eonni forgot that I said my step-brother was enrolling in our school. Really, even Dae-Yeol forgot too?

“As of this moment, he’s sleeping on my lap so I’m pretty sure I can say he’s my friend.”

This text never came faster, “WHAT?!!?!?!?! How did you make friends with him to THAT level THAT quickly?!!?”

“’Cause he’s the step-brother I told you about last night. It’s my Kwang-Yeon Oppa. Duh. XP”

“WHY DIDN’T YOU JUST SAY THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!?! -Dae-Yeol he got in trouble and now he’s outside for punishment even though there’s only a few minutes left of class kekeke He got really jealous even though we know your step-bro is gay. Oh, try check his schedule!!”

“Fine I will, but it won’t make that much difference since after today, there’s only three more days left of school. Didju forget we end the school year on Thursday?”

“Whoa, I did!!! Oh well see you next period, Hyeri!”

I rolled my eyes and Eonni. How can someone so crazy be so forgetful? There was three minutes left so I nudged Kwang-Yeon, “Oppa, the bell’s going to ring and I wanna see your schedule, wake up!” I lightly slapped his cheek to speed up the process.

Kwanggie opened his eyes and his bag, bringing out a sheet of paper with all of his classes. He was in 3 of my 7 classes; he wasn‘t in my electives or Human Physiology class. His face brightened to just like it had when he recognized me. He said he’ll follow me then since his tour guides were too freaked out by him to properly tell him where everything was.

The bell had rung and I walked with Kwang-Yeon to Marine Biology, the class I had with both Eonni and Oppa. We walked inside and I led him to the teacher. Lee-seonsaengnim welcomed Kwang-Yeon warmly, telling me to watch over him. I nodded him before taking him to my seat in the back where my elders were already waiting. Dae-yeol’s face had a tint of pink on his cheeks, I think he’s still embarrassed about being sent outside the classroom.

I sat next to Dae-Yeol with Kwang-Yeon hanging onto my arm. I introduced them to each other, “Kwang-Yeon Oppa, this is Dae-Yeol Oppa and Jung Hye Eonni.”

I forgot that Kwang-yeon was always the blunt type, “You only have two friends?” He noticed his words and corrected himself, “Sorry, I forgot you like to keep to yourself.”

I shook my head and laughed, “Well, technically I only have Eonni as my friend. Dae-yeol is my namja chingu.”

Before Kwang-Yeon could squeal, I covered his mouth. “Jeongmal? Jjinja? Are you serious??? Wow, you have good taste Hyeri, way better than So Jin‘s taste.”

My face flushed and I scooted closer to Dae Oppa to hide my face in embarrassment. Kwang-Yeon started talking to Jung Hye about us and then they switched over to EXO because apparently Kwang-Yeon is also an EXOstan.

Dae-yeol whimpered because he didn’t want to tell Junggie about EXO, especially now that we had another fanatic on our hands. I nudged him, telling him that we should tell them about EXO, no one said we had to let them meet them. He sighed and complied, “Hey Noona, err, and Kwang-Yeon-sshi--”

“Oh call me hyung or Dongsaeng. Hyeri, Who’s older?”

“Dae-Yeol is, his birthday is July and yours is September.”

“Okay so call me Dongsaeng or Kwanggie, hyung.”

“Fine, Dongsaeng, ugh Hyeri, I don’t know how to tell them.”

Junggie and Kwangie turn their attention to me, Kwang Oppa narrowed his eyes suspiciously, “Hyeri, you’re not pregnant are you?”

I was so pissed that I kicked Kwang-yeon chair hard enough for him to fall off. From the floor, he said, “I’m guessing I’m way off?”

Dae-Yeol just nodded with his face lowered. I decided to tell them for Dae Oppa. “What Dae-yeol is trying to tell you that he knows EXO on a personal level.”

Junggie had a look of death on her face towards Dae Oppa’s direction. “I’ve been chasing them for the past week and you knew them this entire time.”

I defended him from Eonni, “Eonni, remember how you reacted when you saw Kris? All of the members that met you are extremely afraid of you. They’re too scared to meet you since you’re so overwhelming.”

Jung Hye calmed down, but continued to bicker with me on how I could meet them, but she couldn’t. Kwang-Yeon joined against Dae-Yeol. The argument only ended when the bell rang and I won against Eonni. The two boys gave up a while before, not really caring about the argument anyway.

Third period was Human Physiology so I walked with Dae-yeol to class. Okay, that’s the last person and we both feel better than Eonni knows. So, a recap would be Chang-Joon; so-so, Kwang-Yeon; good, Jung Hye; so-so. Dae-yeol had to remind me about Joomin and Jong Kyu. There’s two more people to my list. Today I had music at the end of the day again so I would have to deal with them. Meh, that’s then so I’ll worry about it then.

Third period, I was talking to Oppa about my childhood with Kwang-Yeon and my half-siblings. Other than that, we took pictures to put under each other’s contact ID. Mine looked retarded, but he refused to delete it so I chose the most derpiest picture I could get of him for his contact picture. We had a good laugh as we made our way to the lunchroom.

Kwanggie and Junggie already beat us to the table, chatting away with their food in front of them. I took Dae-yeol’s hand and we went into the lunch line. We were about halfway when Jong Kyu cut in line with us, still avoiding his friends. I clicked my tongue in disappointment at him and we started arguing.

When we got back to our table, Jong Kyu included, I was mad at the both of them. Jung Hye looked at me in disbelief, “Umm, what happened in the lunch line for Dae-yeol and Jong Kyu-Sunbaenim to be walking together, then Hyeri is sitting in-between Kwanggie and me to make sure she doesn’t sit next to you two?”

“Jong Kyu and me were arguing because I believe that he should talk to Joomin again, but he refuses. We kept arguing then Dae-yeol joins the argument and takes Jong Kyu’s side. That’s why I’m sitting where I am.”

“Hmm, Hyeri, I’m gonna have to take the boys’ side then. Sunbaenim shouldn’t forgive Joomin for what he did. He really shouldn’t.”

Jong Kyu sent a smug look, “So this is what it’s like to have people on your side when they usually aren’t. Pretty nice feeling.” Kwanggie was confused, but I told him I would explain later. He just listened to the conversation so he’ll be able to understand later.

Even though I had three against me, I wouldn’t back down, “C’mon!!! I just want to get past all of this and the only way is for Jong Kyu to forgive Joomin Sunbaenim. Initially, this was my problem, but Jong Kyu is the solution so you either forgive him or I’m gonna fricking tell dad EVERYTHING I took the blame for you.”

Jong Kyu visibly paled, I took the blame more than he has fingers on his hands so he better not cross me. He managed to get out, “F-fine, I’ll talk to him tomorrow when I have class with only him and me.”

I gave a cocky smile to all of them and happily ate my meal. Junggie scoffed and messed with my hair. I glared at her because now I had to redo my braids.

I only ate half of my lunch because my hair was bothering me to no end. I gave the rest to Jong Kyu and excused myself to go the restroom.

In the restroom, I took off my glasses and unwound one of my braids. I felt so happy because my hair was getting super long. It was going slightly past my waist, but braided it’s like half the length. I was so absorbed in my hair that I didn’t care to notice my classmates walking in. Probably should’ve because they were Jong Kyu’s fan girls. The one with squinty eyes talked first, “YAH! Nerd, what do you think you’re doing?!”

I hated the pitch of her voice so I wanted to annoy her, “Umm, I’m braiding my hair?”

“Not that you dumb , I meant with Jong Kyu Oppa! Who you think you are to hang out with him and be so casual?” The other two girls chimed in, “Even Kyu-Yong Oppa and Joomin Oppa talks to her.” Okay, these girls are delusional because Jong Kyu hates being called Oppa, only I can since I’m actually his sister.

I sighed inwardly, kinda hating my stubbornness to back down, “Jong Kyu Sunbae sat on my table because he needed a break from his friends. He just wanted a change of pace. Then I don’t know about Kyu-Yong sunbae and Joomin Sunbae, they just talked to me.”

Squinty eye got madder, “YAH, they don’t talk to just anyone. So what Didju do to them? Didju pay them so they would talk to you?”

I snorted, “Yeah, I’m not that desparate for their attention. In fact, I don’t really like their attention in general.”

I think I pushed her to the edge, “MWO?!!? Yah, you , how dare you say that especially about our Oppas! You’re going to pay!”

I cautiously watched her as she got closer, he friend had handed her a pair of scissors and my eyes widened. She told me her intentions, “Let’s see how you look with a major haircut, you .”

There was no way out since the three blocked the door so I did the next best thing and ran into the bathroom stall. I slammed the door in the chubby one’s face and managed to lock it. I brought out my phone and called up Jung Hye. She said she’ll be there soon and hung up.

These damn girls were freaking strong because they were close to breaking the stall’s lock. I pressed myself against the door in attempt to further delay them until Eonni comes in.

The girls noticed that I was against the door so while pushing, the squinty one climbed up the chubby one’s leg and reached over. I didn’t see her until the last second and it took me too long to react.

*SNIP* She had cut off a large chunk of my hair. She was aiming for my ear level, but my movement only allowed her to reach shoulder level. Now that I knew she was climbing over, I ducked down and basically used my to keep the door closed. Worked too, not a second sooner, Jung Hye charges in and flings the girls away. I heard a couple punches here and there and then three big thumps.

Junggie came back in to the restroom and told me that it was fine. I went out and grabbed my things, putting my glasses back on before other people saw me. Looking at the mirror, it turns out the girl got the entire braid on one side.

Jung Hye fury was still raging even when we got called out of the restroom by the gym teacher. Eonni went ahead of me and she was getting yelled at because she had beaten up the other girls. Junggie was getting all of the blame even though I asked her to save me. I lowered my head and walked out. The gym teacher shut up when he saw me. He didn’t know how to react to me since I played victim, “S-seonsaengnim, don’t get mad at Eonni, she was just trying to help me.”

He stuttered, “W-What? Help you from what?”

I raised my head a little and everyone could see that my hair was chopped, “Eonni saved me because that girl was trying to cut off my hair.”

The gym teacher straightened himself and didn’t believe me, “I do not believe that is what happened. As far as I know, Jung Hye-sshi is the one who was cutting your hair and these girls were trying to help you.” The three girls were smirking at me. I just remembered that squinty is rich so she can pretty much get away with anything. I quickly glanced at the crowd and saw Jong Kyu them. Kwang-Yeon had shifted his eyebrows to send the message of using the secret method to winning everything.

I slowly walked over to Eonni and wrapped my arms around her, burying my face in the back of her shoulder. Once my face was obscured, I started crying. The gym teacher was taken aback, even more when I said, “Why don’t you believe me? Eonni has been with me since we were young. How could you easily take their side when it’s coming from me?” I choked a little to add emphasis on how hurt I was.

The gym teacher panicked, “O-Okay sorry for misunderstanding. You three girls come with me. Jung Hye-sshi, I’ll call you in to the office after.” Jung Hye bowed and smirked as the girls were escorted back to the disciplinary office.

My friends had ran over to check up on me. I held my place against Eonni until the crowd disappeared.

Once Kwang-Yeon gave me the okay, I lifted my head and wiped the tears from my eyes quickly, smiling at my elders after. They were all stunned at the performance I just put on.

“Hey, Dongsaeng, where Didju learn to act like that?”

“Kwang-Yeon Oppa taught it to me when I was 8. I’m glad I still remember how to do it.”

“You’re a very cunning person, Hyeri.” I giggled.

Jong Kyu just shook his head and said that I was going to need a haircut after school. Kwang-Yeon shot his hand up, “I’ll take her.” Dae-yeol wanted to take me, but Kwang-Yeon said he wanted to spend more time with me to make up for the last 9 years. Dae Oppa pouted, but agreed.

Now that I think about it, the only times we were alone was at the bubble shop and when I was playing video games with him. We never had an official date yet. Too much has been going on that I never have time. Like tomorrow, I have to go to the car shop again which means I only have from 3:30-5:00 to hang out with him. Maybe I can skip one day, I haven’t done so once in the three years I was apprenticing there. I should probably call them tonight to check.

The bell had rung so we went to our designated classes. Eonni had helped me fix my hair so it didn’t look so weird and choppy. Dae-Yeol wished me good luck on my final and gave me a quick peck on the lips. Jong Kyu’s face had darkened with anger, Oppa got scared. Kwang Oppa was laughing at them as he walked away with them.

My finals had gone smoothly, having to take them at the teacher’s office in the heart of school. Hopefully, my ranking will have gone up from middle school.

Music class was okay because Jong Kyu was by my side, but I was ignoring him to text Joomin. After I remembered I had his number.

“Are you okay?”

“I should be asking you that.”

“He’s still mad at me. He hates me.”

“No, he doesn’t. Didju talk to him face-to-face?”

“Mm-mm, he keeps avoiding me every time I’m nearby. I can’t even get near him, let alone talk to him. It’s obvious that he doesn’t want me to be around him. Not only that, he has you, he wouldn’t be gay for me.”

“Umm, I’m with Dae-yeol, not Jong Kyu. NEVER Jong Kyu, just to let you know.”

“Wow, why not? Jong Kyu is hot and popular. Not too much on the bright side, but he makes it up in iness XD You should see him dance, that . DAMN!”
This just got awkward…. “…….I grew up with Jong Kyu so I can’t look at him at any other way than someone I grew up with. Wait…HE DANCES?!?!?! SINCE WHEN?????”

“Every time he goes with us clubbing, he’s a really good dancer. Of course, that could be the alcohol and his fine making everything better. But he’s really good at the dougie, you should ask him.”

I shut off my phone and faced Jong Kyu, “Kyu, do you dance?”

Jong Kyu’s face flushed red, “Who told you that?”

I told a little white lie, “The other apprentice at the car shop messaged me that he saw you at the club on Friday and that you were dancing.”

“N-no, I don’t dance so drop it.”

“Really, I heard you rock the dougie pretty well.”

Jong Kyu’s head snapped backwards, he growled, “Joominnnnnnn.”

I caught him red-handed, “So it is true, you do dance!!!”

“Okay Okay, keep it down you idiot. Yes, I dance. No I ain’t showing you so don’t even think of asking me to show you. Now, I’m going to kill Joomin.”

“uh-uh-uh, if you want me to keep silent from dad, you better not start anything and clean up the mess we already have in front of us.”

Jong Kyu kind of lightly punched my leg in frustration before turning back to his phone.

I texted Joomin, “Thank you for the info, perfect blackmail.”

“I know right. And what Didju say to him??? He said he wants to talk to me tomorrow in fourth period!!!!!”

“Oh that’s a secret >_< Keke” On that note, our conversation ended, also the school day.

After school, Kwang-Yeon went with me to get a haircut and now it’s a shoulder length layered-hairstyle with bangs. During the haircutting session, I filled in Kwang-Yeon in about what the argument during lunchtime truly meant. Also, emphasized not to make a big deal out of it, everything is settling down. He said okay and he emphasized on his part that he wasn’t going to say anything to mother. I thanked him. We just got something to eat before heading home.

Chang-Joon was probably at cram school so I didn’t run into him. Inside my apartment, I played my computer game, texted everyone, and took a long nap before I went to my original routine when my Appa comes home.