Catching Up and Pulling Favors

Of all Coincidences

May 30 (Sunday)

Ugh, that was definitely NOT the definition of a good night sleep. I had a nightmare where zombies and mummies were chasing me. The only time that dream appears is when something bad or uncomfortable will happen to me. Today is already looking bad.

I was groaning as I stumbled off of the bunk bed, falling flat on my . Yup, not going to be a good day…At least cracking my back feels good.

Jonggie had gone to the convenience store to pick us up some breakfast which I gratefully accepted with my horse-sized painkiller. He also had taken notice that my note of ‘Get groceries’ was on the fridge and he told me that he would be going too. Yongsun said he couldn’t because he had to meet up with his friends today for a tournament. We knew he was lying, but he had no access to any large amounts of money, so Yongsun can’t do much financial damage.

I had gotten ready quickly while Jong Kyu was still taking his sweet time so I checked my phone. Jongin and Sehun had messaged me.

“Dongsaeng!!! Thank you for tutoring me! I hope you can continue to be my seonsaengnim >_< But I also want to hang out with you!!!!!! No Dae-Yeol!!! >:O” (Kai)

“’Noona’!!!! I’m going to take my test tomorrow so please wish me luck ^_^ Thank you so much, I’ll treat you to bubble tea the next time I see you!! J and that should be soon since Yeol-Hyung wants to see you again!!! I’ll message you the results once I get it!!” (Sehun)

Since I was so preoccupied with reading the messages, Jong Kyu came out before I could reply so while we were heading to the elevators, all I could send was,

(To Kai) “I can’t really message you ATM, but if you need more tutoring, then I’ll help you. Just don’t forget the promise you made me if your ranking goes up 10 slots!! And I really doubt Dae-Yeol Oppa will approve of that, so no >x<“

(To Sehun) “Sorry, Sehun-’Dongsaeng’ that I can’t really talk to you right now. Just know that I’m sure you’ll pass the test tomorrow, so don’t fret. If you treat me to bubble tea, then I would have to treat one time as well! It will be fun to see you guys again, but don’t forgot who you guys are, okay? Then you AND Jongin-sshi better text me your results right after or I’m going to send my Eonni on you guys!!!! I mean it!!!!”

Jong Kyu noticed me smiling, “What are you smiling about?”

“Oh--Just messaging my friends.”

“That reminds me, let me see your phone, I want to check that chatting site you’ve been on.”

“No, you don’t have to because it turns out that my chatting friends are Dae-yeol’s friends.”

Jong Kyu’s face darkened with rage, “Did you meet with them?”

“Yes and they’re very nice people. Don’t be so quick to get angry.”

“When?”

“Yesterday when I went to the library.” I’m not that stupid to meet strangers without someone I know and in a private place.

He sighed. “Fine, I’ll call it even if you call it even about me forcing you to let Chang-Joon in our apartment.” It’s like he just completely gave up on arguing with me.

“Deal.”

*DING* The elevator finally arrived. We have two elevators in our building, but one is under maintenance. Apparently, the elevator took so long because it had to pick up Chang-Joon’s and his brother, Junwoo’s asses from the top floor. I silently got in and leaned against the elevator’s railing.

It was supposed to be awkwardly silent, but Junwoo decided to go against it, “Hyeri, why do you have to wear that nerdy get-up? It makes you look terrible.”

“Hmm, it’s fine to me.”

Chang-Joon cut his brother off wanting to ask his question, “How are you feeling, Ri?”

“I’m fine. Thank you for your concern.” The three of them looked at each other, astonished that I thanked Chang-Joon for something trivial.

*DING* Thank the lord we live on the fifth floor.

We all exited the elevator and went our separate ways. On the way to the grocery store, Jong Kyu only engaged in small chitchat to find out more about my chatting buddies. Naturally, I just use Taehyun for Kai’s name and I made up Moon Hyun to be Sehun’s fake name.

---------------------------------------

In the supermarket, it was sort of busy. It was around 1 so it was the ending of lunch hour. I sent Jong Kyu to get the meat products while I got the dairy and produce. This continued until our cart was full of our two-weeks worth of food. Half the time we ate out so the food would last us twice as long.

Wanting to kill a little more time to stay in the AC, we just roamed around the store, planning out Yongsun’s birthday dinner. It was in three weeks and he’s been dropping hints on what types of food he wants.

We were discussing who we could learn from to make spring rolls for the brat when someone’s voice rang out, “Jong Kyu? Hyeri? Is that you two?”

We both turned our heads to face the woman that called out to us. Jong Kyu didn’t recognize her, but I knew that face anywhere, “E-Eomma…” Jong Kyu’s eyes had widened. Since the judge from the custody case didn’t want to traumatize my brothers, they were to stay in a conference room until after the verdict was given. This means that Jong Kyu hasn’t seen her for 11 years.

Eomma’s face lit up, “Oh my gosh, it is you two!” She came over to hug us which we reluctantly reciprocated. “I’ve missed you guys so much. Oh! You’ve met your little brothers right, Daniel and Anthony? They came with me shopping today, you should say hi to them. DANIEL! ANTHONY!”

Two tall boys came around the aisle and saw us with mother. They’re fricking giants. “Boys! Do you remember, this is your hyung and your Noona! Say hello.”

The two boys bowed, “Hello Noona and Hyung, it’s nice to see you again. I’m Daniel/Anthony.” The one with larger eyes was Anthony and the more muscular one was Daniel. My jaw was slightly ajar at shock at the two in front of me, “Umm, Eomma, aren’t these two only thirteen?”

My question didn’t slow down her bubbly speech, “Oh you remember, yes they’re only thirteen and so tall, right? I’m so proud.” I nodded and face Jong Kyu, I could tell he felt inferior to our half-brothers since he was the same height as them.

Seeing as the situation was getting to be dreadful, I excused myself from our mother and we went to pay for our groceries. However, she didn’t let me go until she told me that our step brother, Kwang-Yeon, was going to attend my school from now on. My dream is a fricking Omen, I shouldn’t have left the house today.

----------------------------------------

Jong Kyu and I had nearly ran all the way home to make sure we weren’t going to run into Eomma again. No matter what, I’ll still love my mother, but I have to say she’s kind of a . She’s the reason of my parent’s divorce. She’s been having an affair with her current husband since before I was born, but she still slept with dad which resulted in Yongsun and me. So she has six children; four boys, two girls. I think that’s why the three of us were pretty screwed up.

I notified Dae-Yeol and Jung Hye that Kwang-Yeon was transferring to our school so he'll probably show up tomorrow. They don't know much about my family and I clearly told them that I didn't really wanted them to. They understood me and just assured me that they were my support system, I could tell them anything over bubble tea.

-------------------------------------

I felt like my Sunday was gonna go to waste if my mother was the only thing on my mind so I told Jong Kyu that we should go out (separately) and take our minds off of earlier. He agreed and we left to meet up with our friends to distract us.

I only wanted to see Dae-Yeol right now so I messaged him. He invited me over to his house so I said okay, he just needed to give me directions.

Dae-yeol have given me clear instructions on which platform to be and which stop to get off, he'll meet me at the station near his place and lead me from there. I had caught the train he told me and thankfully, there was empty seats so I sat comfortably at the end seat near the door.

On the subway, about two stops in, a small group of people came on, one of the people was Joomin. He saw me and he approached me. I stiffened in my seat, refusing to move from my safe haven near the door. He plopped on the side of me and started the conversation, "Are you that scared of me?"

I nodded. "Hugggh don't be. I'm not going to hurt you again, I think I just made matters worse between Jong Kyu and me."

Uhhhh....I think I just figured out the missing piece..."ummm Joomin Sunbaenim, don't be too offended, but do you have more intimate feelings for Jong Kyu?"

He chuckled bitterly, "do I make it that obvious?"

"Well we all try to do things that we see fit for the ones we love, you just chose a more, err, risky approach to it."

"I guess, but Jong Kyu hates me now, all because of what I did to you."

"Joomin Sunbaenim, if Jong Kyu hated you, he would've used physical force by now. Just talk to him, even if it has to be through messages. Oh, this is my stop. Sunbae, try your best okay?"

"Ha-ha fine, see you tomorrow."

----------------------------

I got off the subway and Dae-Yeol started waving his arms like crazy to gain my attention. I laughed at my little dork as I gave him a peck on the lips. He interlocked our fingers before we set off for his house. He said EXO was at a schedule so we had the all of the video game consoles to ourselves. I laughed because he seemed so excited to show me this game called Black Ops.

------------------------------------------

At his house, Dae-yeol had taken me to a separate room containing only of their game-playing items. I everything while Oppa got snacks. Once everything was in place, Oppa had taught me all the controls, then we set out to shoot each other in Black Ops.

We played for about an hour before the game died out, Oppa winning since I couldn't remember the correct controls. Then we played Mario Party which we worked together and saved all the characters from becoming Bowser toys.

Trying to decide on the next game, Dae-Yeol remembered, "Hey, Hyeri. Didn't you say that your second hobby was dancing?"

"Uhhh, you remembered that?"

"Of course, you expected me to forget?"

"No.....more like hoping you would." I smiled sheepishly.

"Well you're dancing whether you like it or not."

"Fine, its only fair, I have to beat you at something today." He just chuckled as he put Just Dance III into the Xbox.

We started dancing to all of the songs and I was smoking Oppa's scores. The TV was blasted pretty loudly that we didn't hear the door opening followed by people dragging themselves in. We only noticed them when the song ended and Oppa and me heard cheering on the side. My face flushed and I hid behind Oppa. I heard Chanyeol oppas voice booming across the room, "Why do my Dongsaengs dance better than me?!?" Everyone laughed and I became acquainted with all of the members. They were all super nice, especially Jongin who managed to get past Dae-Yeol to hug me, followed by Sehun.

Oppa and me decided to call it quits then. Suho had asked me if I wanted to stay for dinner.

I politely declined, "oh no, its fine. I should be getting home, after all its 8:30?!?" I didn't know THAT much time had passed by....."oh wow, I think we danced for too long, Oppa."

Chanyeol spoke up, "wait Dongsaeng, you're not planning to catch the subway this late, are you?"

"Why not? I'll be fine. I'll just catch the subway and call my brother to pick me up at the station."

"No, call them up now cause otherwise I won’t believe you." He's more overprotective than Appa. I phoned my house.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Jong Kyu, where’s Yongsun?"

"He's still out. I don't know where he is."

"What? Umm I’ll call you in a little bit."

"You better, your was supposed to be home already."

I hung up the phone and sulked in my seat. My overprotective brother-in-law didn’t miss a beat, "so, do you have someone to pick you up from the station?" I shook my head.

"Fine, lets go I’ll drive you." My head snapped up, "no no no no no, you just got home, I’ll feel guilty if you drove me home when it’s a far drive."

"It’s fine, I'm pretty hyper and you're practically family. Everyone else can just shower now and by the time I get back, pretty much everyone will be done. So it’s fine."

My face reddened because I felt so bad. Baekhyun made the finishing blow, "well, Hyeri-sshi, you should take Yeollie’s offer because the only other option is for you to stay over in a house with 13 guys. Make your choice."

"Fine I’ll take the ride because I don't to risk you guys getting defamed by a scandal because of me." Chanyeol chuckled and ruffled my hair, "okay lets go."

The ride back home was FAR from uncomfortable. Chanyeol and Dae-Yeol verbally fought with each other, revealing stories from their childhood. My favorite story that they told was when Chanyeol had begged their mom to buy a computer so Dae-Yeol could play his game. Those two were what I would call the ideal siblings, showed their love and doesn't constantly argue like an old married couple.

---------------------------------------

They dropped me off in front of my apartment complex and I told Dae-Yeol that one day, I have to treat them out to food before the guilt won’t go away. He ‘tskked’ me and agreed, kissing the top of my head before getting back into the car. I waved as they drove off.

I spun around on my heels and went to the door. I patted my pockets, but my access card wasn’t in there. CRAP. They were in my jacket at Oppa’s house. I fished around again and I even forgot my phone with Oppa. How forgetful can one person be?

I walked to the playground and looked around. Good thing it wasn’t winter or I’ll be freezing. To take my mind off of my stupidity, I started playing on the swing. Since my fear of heights is more than slight, going higher and higher caused the adrenaline to increase. It distracted me long enough before the adrenaline dissipated and the only thing left was a headache.

I stopped the swing and sighed. “Why the long sigh, Ri?” Chang-Joon whispered right next to my ear. I yelped and fell off the swing, clutching my heart to calm it down. He fell over too, laughing hard at my reaction.

I yelled at him with a flushed face, “YAH! That’s not funny, you don’t sneak up on people like that, ESPECIALLY not at night! You jerk!” At the word ‘jerk,’ his laughed ceased. His facial expression hardened and he walked over to me. I was still sitting down on the ground with him towering over me. He pushed my shoulders down and pinned my arms to the ground, “You’re lucky that it was me that found you. Imagine what would happen if that ert from 7th floor had found you. Be grateful and don’t EVER call me a jerk again before I punish you. Understand?”

Even though I was forced to listen to what he was saying, my focus was wriggling my wrists out of his grasp, it was too fricking hard. I whimpered when he applied more pressure on my wrists, “Hyeri, I said understand?”

“Yes, I understand. Now get off of me.”

He snickered before getting up, pulling me up with him. “Now that that’s clear, tell me, why are you playing kiddy this late at night.”

I averted my eyes to hide my embarrassment, “I left my access card at a friend’s house.”

“Then why didn’t you just call Jong Kyu-Hyung to come get you.”

“…”

“Hyeri, stop being a pain.”

“…I forgot my phone too.”

He sniggered, “Wow that’s a new level for you, my little babo.” He laughed. “C’mon, let’s go. You can enter with my access card.”

Chang-Joon turned around, heading for the building with me in tow. We went inside and into the elevator, like usual. I kept avoiding looking at him. I should’ve known he had an ulterior motive, “Ri, you know you owe me one for this.”

“Fine, when you forget your access card then I’ll help you then.”

He scoffed, “Babo, that’s not what I meant. It means you have to grant me a wish.”

“I will only agree if I find it reasonable.”

“Wow, I thought you would just turn the idea down flat.”

“I believe in repaying debts.”

“Fine, I’ll think about it tonight and tell you tomorrow morning, wait for me at the park, okay?”

“Arasseo, but you better be there early because your school is closer than mine so it’ll take me longer to get there.”

“Mmhmm.” Was all he said before I left the conversation.

I explained to Jong Kyu what happened with my card so he allowed me to use his phone to call up Dae-Yeol. I only learned the first 6 digits of his phone number so I called up my phone, hoping he would pick up. Someone picked up my phone on the third ring, “Yeoboseyo, this is Hyori’s phone, how may I help you?”

“Ummm, my name is Hyeri and I was wondering if Dae-Yeol is around.”

“Oh sorry Hyeri-sshi, I got your name wrong. I’m so sorry. Oh Dae-yeol just walked in.” I heard muffled words being exchanged on the other side.

“Oh, Hyeri, you forgot a lot of your stuff.”

“I knowwwwww, do you think you can give it to me tomorrow at school? My Appa is going to kill me if I don’t have my access card.”

“I will and how did you get into your building if you didn’t have your card or your phone.”

“Heh, I kinda had to pull a favor so please don’t forget before I have to owe another one.”

“Okay, I’ll put it into my bag just to be sure. You want me to charge your phone too?”

“I don’t want to bother you that much, Oppa.”

“IT’S FINE. My gosh ha-ha. I’ll charge it and bring it tomorrow, Arasseo?”

“Neh~~~ And who answered my phone?”

“Oh, that was Lay-Hyung.”

“Oh, I was wondering who forgot my name. Okay, well I’m using Jong Kyu’s phone so I have to go. Wish everyone good night for me okay?”

Instead of one voice, multiple voices came through, “GOOD NIGHT HYERI-SSHI/DONGSAENG” I started laughing because I could distinguish Chanyeol and Jongin from the crowd. Dae-yeol wished me his separate good night and we hung up.

I thanked Jong Kyu and we went to our respective beds. Tomorrow, I’ll find out Chang-Joon’s request, I’m already prepared for the worse. Then I’ll see Kwang-Yeon after 9 years. I always got along with him just fine, but 9 years can really change a person. Hopefully, we can get along like how we sorta used to. Tomorrow’s another day and I can deal with everything then. NIGHT!