What the Heck is Going On?

Of all Coincidences

May 29 (Saturday)

Yongsun and Appa knew very well to avoid our bedroom in the morning. Jong Kyu was grouchy with his hangover and I was in pain from my bruises. My body still felt slightly numb from the painkillers, but most of the effects went away when Chang-Joon hugged me. When we were younger, he would always hug the life out of me because he knew that I hated skinship from him. Before he couldn’t even get within five feet without me running away from him, that’ s why I’m such a pro runner now. Slowly, I got ready and texted Dae-yeol about today. He said he’ll go on his own and meet me at the library. I texted that I’ll see him then.

I finally got ready and carefully walked through the lobby, looking out for Chang-Joon. Gratefully, I didn’t run into him when I left.

I took the bus to the library and notified the librarian about the room I would be using. She confirmed it with me so I went to check out the room. Inside, it was very nice and clean, so happy! Some of the rooms have very low maintenance levels.

The clock read that it was 11:30 so I went to pick out a couple of manga books. The only good series there was, was bleach so a few volumes came with me. I took it back into the room so my phone could be left off silent. I became immersed in reading my manga that time passed by quickly.

Dae-yeol started messaging me again, “Hey are you at the library?”

“Yup, I’m in the private room now.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a couple of minutes. Also, my hyung is tagging along, is that fine?”

“Yeah, it’s no problem, as long as he isn’t disruptive, it’s fine.”

“Okay see you in a little bit J

After that Taehyun sent a quick message, “Sorry if I’m a bit late, my hyung took forever to wake up so we left later than expected. We’re pretty close so hopefully we’ll make it! I can’t wait to see who my Dongsaeng is!! >_<”

That was my cue to go wait outside so Taehyun will know where to go. I left the manga books on the table and got up.

I scanned the parking lot when a van pulled in. The van drove around before finally parking in a close by parking space. Speedily, the door flew open and out came Dae-yeol. He ran over and gently hugged me, not forgetting that my body was injured.

After a couple more seconds, that’s when I realized there were other people behind him. It was some EXO members in disguise which made me laugh at how unnatural they looked. They should really learn how to properly put on wigs if they want to disguise themselves.

“Umm, Oppa, your hyungs should get lessons on how to put on wigs.”

“I know, I didn’t want them to wear it, but they insisted. They just look ridiculous.”

“YAH! Don’t talk about your hyungs like that!” I think that one is Luhan, he doesn’t look as feminine as he does on screen.

“Yeah Yeah Han-Hyung, Mianhaeyo.” Dae-yeol turned to me, “Let’s go inside now okay?”

“Umm, But don’t I still have to wait for Taehyun?”

Dae-yeol smile turned into a slight smirk, “Hehe don’t worry, it turns out your chatting buddy Taehyun, is Kai-Hyung.”

I turned my head towards the EXO members and saw Kai on the side nodding his head to confirm that he was Taehyun. I formed an okay sign with my hand before rushing into the library, hurrying to get in front of an air conditioner. I heard Dae-yeol laughing behind me.

I led them to the room and lowered the temperature by a few degrees. The others took off their jackets and disguises so they could be comfortable. Chanyeol-sshi ran over to the small stack of Bleach mangas and ask if he could read them. I smiled and said of course he could, I had to help Jongin-sshi anyway. Kai whined to me, “Why are you using -sshi for me? Why can’t you just call me Oppa like when we were chatting?”

“Because as Taehyun you’re my Oppa, but as Jongin-sshi, you’re Jongin-sshi.”

“Is it because I’m an idol that you‘re treating me differently??”

“No, it’s just when we were chatting, we couldn’t see each other or really know what the other person looked like, so it was literally talking blindly. Face-to-face contact is different so it’s like I’m talking to a whole different person. So for you there’s three sides to you, Taehyun-the virtual self, Jongin-the real self, and Kai-the idol self. Did you catch all of that?”

Jongin grinned before lunging at me for a hug, but he was intercepted by Dae-yeol. Jongin realized he hugged the wrong person and flinched away from Oppa. Dae-yeol looked right at Jongin, “Don’t hug my yeoja chingu, hyung”

Everyone except those two started laughing. I was laughing because those two look like little kids when they’re trying to be serious.

Chanyeol sat next to me and beamed, “So that means you’re my sister-in-law! Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Chanyeol, Dae-yeol’s older brother!”

My face flushed by how quickly he seemed to accept me. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Lim Hyeri, it’s nice to meet you, but I don’t think I’m your sister-in-law just yet.”

He chuckled, “Nonsense, just go with the flow okay and please take care of my little brother, he kinda needs a lot of looking after.”

I laughed, “Actually, it’s Oppa that’s been taking care of me since I’m such a hassle.” Dae-yeol whipped his head around, breaking his staring contest with Jongin, “You’re not a hassle, Hyeri--”

He was about to add in more when Jongin butted himself in with his question, “Wait is Dae-yeol-ah the ‘new Oppa’ you were telling me about??” I nodded to answer his question. Those two started to bicker a bit more so I scanned the room to the others. The ones that came were Luhan, Chanyeol, Kai, Sehun, and Kris. Chanyeol and Kris were reading manga, Luhan was watching the others argue, and Sehun was zoning out.

Seeing that the other two were too immersed in what they were doing, I went over to Sehun, pulling him out of his reverie. He jolted, but gave me a small smile. I whispered to him that I wanted to tutor him first since Jongin was taking too long to settle down. His smile turned into a grin and agreed. He brought out his textbooks and we started working on Math.

We got through about five trig problems before the quarreling two noticed me on the opposite side of the room with Sehun. That’s when Chanyeol decided to play big brother and finally ended their argument once and for all. I shook my head at the two before resuming my tutoring session with Sehun. Dae-yeol took a seat close to me and started finalizing our project, Jongin took a seat on the opposite side of me trying to catch up to Sehun’s problem. The day continued on with me tutoring, Dae-yeol working, and the other three reading out the entire library’s manga section.

------------------------------------

It was about 5:30 when we called it quits. Sehun was a fast learner so it went smoothly. With Jongin, it took longer because he kept messing around from time to time. They both thanked me, saying that the chances of them failing were slim to none now. I nodded and said that they better get a move on before it gets too dark.

Before we said our goodbyes, my goofy ‘brother-in-law’ asked me, “Do you want a ride, Dongsaeng?”

“No, I’m fine, Chanyeol-ss-Oppa. I’m going to make a stop on the way home anyway.” I was about to use -sshi as my honorific but once it was about to leave my mouth, it looked like I was going to hurt him with my words.

“Why do you have to make a stop? I don’t want my sister-in-law walking alone at night.”

I smiled sheepishly, “I was going to go to get a bubble drink before I went home.” Three faces lit up, they all said that they wanted bubble drinks too. Now I had no choice, but to go with them.

We arrived at the bubble drink shop and we all placed our orders. 2 honeydews, 1 taro, 1 watermelon, 1 chocolate, and 2 strawberries. Prior to arriving, I pleaded with Dae-yeol that we order separately so it didn’t look like we were with EXO. He was about to argue when I abruptly said, “Jung Hye,” he never got a word in. Right after we got our drinks, we left the store to drop me off. I would’ve walked the rest off the way, but all of them threatened that they would throw me over their shoulders if I protested.

Kris drove smoothly and I got home in less than ten minutes. Everyone said goodbye to me, Dae-yeol giving me a quick peck on my lips. Jongin and Sehun waved their phones through the window, indicating that they’ll message me later. I waved as the van drove down the street, shaking my head at how coincidental that my chatting buddies were my boyfriend’s friends.

After scanning my card, I went into the lobby, enjoying my bubble drink. The clock on the wall read 6:13 so it was still fairly early. I checked my phone for any new notifications and I had a lot of messages from multiple recipients. Jung Hye and Dae-yeol just reminded me to take my medicine, Jongin and Sehun were just sending me thank you’s, Chanyeol said he stole my number from Dae-yeol’s phone so he could keep in touch, and Jonggie sent that he wanted to talk to me once I got home.

I just kept sorting out my messages when someone called out to hold the elevator. Without thinking, I pushed the button to re-open the doors. In came in Chang-Joon, covered in sweat, panting from running. My phone beeped again so my attention was elsewhere than the fact that I’m stuck with him again in the elevator. It’s like you could feel the discomfort coming from me because Chang-Joon seemed to sense it, so he chuckled. My messages were all sorted so I put my phone into my pocket. When I looked at the number, it said we were on floor three, but it seemed to stop moving.

Mumbling to myself, “Why did the elevator stop moving?”

Damn this stupid echoing elevator, Chang-Joon heard me, “It’s stuck because I stopped it.”

My head whipped to his direction, “What?!”

“I said I stopped it, that’s why we’re not moving.”

“Well, turn it back on so I can get out.” I have a more than slight fear of elevators because I’m terrified of getting stuck in one so it’s very nerve-wracking right now.

“No, because since it’s not 1:30 in the morning, you now have time to tell me why you’re injured.”

“It’s none of your business, now turn on the elevator.”

“No. I’m not letting you go anywhere until you tell me.”

. I would start the elevator myself, but I don’t pay attention to these types of things, so I have no clue on which button will start the elevator up again. Damn my ignorance and stubborn mouth, “Well, I’m not telling you so stop wasting both of our times and let me go home.”

“Okay~~~” Chang-Joon sat down and started humming, driving me to the brink of insanity.

I turned around to face the back of the elevator because it’s glass so we can see outside the shaft, hoping that seeing all the ‘open space’ will calm me down. It didn’t. The light from outside made the glass really noticeable so we appeared to be trapped in a glass box. My knuckles tightened around the bar causing them to turn from red to white. Breathe. In. Out. In. Out. My nerves slightly calmed down a little and I was drinking pretty quickly out of nervousness. The plan failed quickly when I ran out of honeydew to distract me.

I heard Chang-Joon shift behind me, but my focus was on the park in front of our apartment complex. Since I looked like I was preoccupied, Chang-Joon had moved right behind me and lifted up my shirt. I yelped and whacked his hand away, turning around in the process.

“What. The. Hell. Do. You. Think. You’re. Doing?”

“Well, you won’t tell me what’s wrong with you, so I thought I would check myself.”

“Don’t ever do that again and for the last time, this is not your business so start the elevator back up and let me go home.”

His face had darkened, but he ended with a sigh, like he was defeated. “Fine, have it your way.” He walked over to the buttons and pressed a button causing the elevator to move again. I made a mental note on which button it was.

Once it went to my floor, I practically flew out of the elevator, just wanting to get home quickly. I didn’t even care that Chang-Joon had called out for me.

I arrived to my apartment door fast, trying to get inside as quickly as possible. Just as my door was about to close, someone’s foot stopped it from closing. Chang-Joon was still unrelenting so I kept trying to kick his foot out of the way. Jong Kyu came out of our room and looked at me really confused.

“Hyeri, Who’s that you’re trying to kick out?”

“Chang-Joon.”

“…You mean dad’s boss’ son, Chang-Joon?”

“Yup.” Dammit, why does Chang-Joon have to be so fricking strong.

“Idiot, let him in.”

“But he’s trying to meddle in my business.”

“So? You guys are practically married, let him in now. I won’t repeat myself.”

Jong Kyu, you are gonna get it big time for this. I told Chang-Joon to stop pushing on the door and he listened. I moved out of the way and opened the door. He had a smug look on his face and strolled right in. He took off his shoes and dropped his bag next to our couch before taking a seat.

Jong Kyu then ordered me to bring drinks for them and we’ll talk in the living room. Does he want to die? I got the two s drinks and took my seat on the far side of the room, away from Chang-Joon.

Jong Kyu started talking. “Chang-Joon-sshi, how much do you know about Hyeri’s situation?”

“Nothing, I only know that Ri has bruises around her torso area.” (CJ)

“Long story short, one of my friends had beaten her, causing all of the bruises.” (JK)

“Oppa, can you just say what you wanted to tell me so I can shower?” (HR) Between Jonggie and me, I don‘t use Oppa if we‘re in public, only when we‘re at home. Also, Chang-Joon should really stop calling me Ri, I don’t like it.

“I found out the reason Joomin did what he did.” (JK)

“Wait, it was a guy who had beaten Ri?” (CJ)

“Yes, now the reason he did it was because of the bet. He’s just frustrated that he’s not the center of attention anymore. This bet is causing everything to change and he absolutely hates change.” (JK) Somehow, there seems to be a missing piece in all of this.

“Wait, back up a little, what bet?” (CJ)

“See I told you that you shouldn’t meddle into my business.” (HR)

“Shut up, Hyeri. He’s older and you guys knew each other since diapers so he has a right to know.” (JK) Chang-Joon and Jong Kyu always had gotten along, I swear they wished they were brothers. Both of them frigging sporting smirks as they looked at me.

I sighed, wanting to get this over with, “Jong Kyu’s circle of friends placed a bet that the next girl to walk into the cafeteria will be their target. The task is to sleep with that girl. Winner gets some prize. I was the next girl that walked into the cafeteria and Jong Kyu is currently in the bet since only a couple people in school knows we’re related. There, you‘re all caught up so if you need me, I‘ll be in my room.”

I walked into my room, taking out my phone, telling Dae-yeol and Jung Hye what Jonggie told me. They replied back that it was still not a good enough excuse. Jung Hye unleashed hell when I said that I still didn’t take my pill yet. She said that she had to take care of her baby cousin, but I had to take my pill or she’ll drag me to go idol hunting, injured or not. I was laughing to myself because she didn’t know that EXO was within her grasp.

I brought up the topic to Oppa after I swallowed the horse pill. “Hey, Oppa are you ever going to tell Junggie about your hyungs?”

“Do I have to?….x_x” (DY)

“Yes, because I feel bad for leaving her out of this. Maybe, just let her meet them once…?” (HR)

“Umm, I can try and ask my hyungs, but didn’t Noona traumatize them already?” (DY)

“Don’t worry too much, I know how to control Eonni. She should be fine, and it doesn’t have to be everyone, just a member or two.” (HR)

“Uh-oh, Kai-Hyung saw my messages and he remembers Noona. He says he’s too scared to meet her. Err, actually everyone who’s met her is backing out. Sorry, maybe we can tell her, but not let them meet them. :0” (DY)

“I guess so, it’s probably for the best…. :/ Eonni is overwhelming…” (HR)

“Yea…I guess Monday we’ll tell her, is that okay?”(DY)

“Oh sorry Jagiya, I gotta go, everyone’s eating. If I don’t go now, I’ll starve. =___=“ (DY)

“No problem Oppa.” (HR)

I decided to grab my sleeping clothes and headed outside to shower. Dad came home and he went into his room. He looked really tired so I peeked my head in his room and asked if he wanted me to cook dinner. He smiled weakly before nodding. Maybe I should ask Chang-Joon to ask his parents to make my dad’s workload a little lighter. Pssh, like he would actually help me.

I heard voices just as I placed my hand onto the doorknob of the bathroom. Chang-Joon was still here, talking to my two brothers now. Good distraction because with them talking, that means I have all the hot water to myself.

In the bathroom, I just double checked that the door was locked and took a shower. My bruises were already darkening more, but the pills took away the pain. It was a quicker shower than yesterday since I could function better.

Once I went outside, I went to the kitchen and took out the ingredients to make stir-fry. Appa came out and asked Chang-Joon if he wanted to stay for dinner, the bastard said yes, that he was excited to eat my cooking after so long. I ignored him and finished the task at hand.

We all ate and everyone was talking about Joomin. Chang-Joon offered the option of a lawsuit to my dad and he was about to accept it until he saw me glaring at them. Yongsun also added that he got his bike back from my school. I smiled sheepishly, apologizing to him again about that. Jong Kyu was pretty silent throughout all of dinner. He’s still suffering from his hangover.

After dinner, Yongsun was sent to do the dishes, Jong Kyu went into our room to sleep the rest of his hangover off, and Appa sent me to walk Chang-Joon to his apartment while he went to bed. This time he chose to ignore the daggers I was sending him so I put my shoes on and went outside.

I walked slowly because he lived at the top which is like 15 more floors higher. If he stops the elevator again, I don’t think my heart can take it. That’s when I thought I would just go to the store to buy extra hangover remedies for Jonggie, good thing I brought my wallet.

We reached the elevator area and I pushed both buttons. It didn’t slip past Chang-Joon.

“Why did you push both up and down?”

“Because I’m going to the store.”

“Aren’t you supposed to walk me home?”

“I think an 18-year-old boy can take the elevator up to his own apartment and walk the short distance between the two.”

“Maybe so, but a 17-year-old girl shouldn’t be going to the store at nine at night by herself.”

“I can run.”

“Nope, either you go back to your apartment or I’m going with you to the store.”

“Suit yourself, but stop the elevator again and I’m going to rip your off.”

He chuckled, “Okay, Byuntae.”

We took the elevator down and went to the store where I picked up hangover medicine and the energy booster drinks that are nasty, but effective.

On our way back, he kept trying to start conversations, but I kept all my answers very curt, making the conversation seem irrelevant. He would just roll his eyes and answer more questions.

“When did you start dating that dude?”

“Three days ago.”

“Okay, how long did you know him?”

“Since Monday.”

“So you known him three days and then gone out with him on the fourth.”

“Yes.”

“Don’t you think you jumped into this a little too quickly?”

I stopped in my tracks and looked at him, “This is another thing where it’s none of your concern. What happens between Dae-yeol and me is between us. You shouldn’t be worrying over me, bullies usually don’t care for the ones they bully this much.”

I seen a flash of hurt spread across Chang-Joon’s face. However, it quickly turned into a smirk, “So his name is Dae-yeol? Interesting, I hope I can meet him in the future. Now let’s go, I still didn’t take a shower yet.”

My face distorted because I remembered how sweaty he was in the elevator and he took his sweaty body and sat on my couch. Ewww, I’m going to scrub my couch later on.

We resumed walking and got back to the apartments quickly. In the elevator, I made sure that I was the one to stand next to the operating buttons. Once it hit my floor, I got out once the doors opened. I turned around to face Chang-Joon telling him thanks for walking with me and good night. What he gave me caught me completely off guard, he gave me a genuine happy smile and another kiss on my head. At my flabbergasted face, he laughed and whispered good night back to me.

I walked slowly back to my apartment just processing everything that happened between Chang-Joon the past couple of days. Hell, I started thinking about the past few years. Chang-Joon had always teased me since we were in diapers. Wait…I remember that he suddenly stopped being so harsh five years ago. On my twelfth birthday, he would only do verbal jabs at me, not physical ones anymore. What happened that he changed so drastically. Well, I have bigger things to worry about, I just remembered that Dae-yeol was supposed to be formally introduced to Jong Kyu tomorrow. It would be best that Jong Kyu wasn’t suffering from a hangover so I went to my room to give him the remedies. He was asleep, so I tried nudging him awake.

“Jong Kyu, wake up.”

“Why the hell are you trying to wake me up?”

“Okay, fine be like that, I’ll just throw this hangover medicine away.” He got up quickly, looking for relief. I handed him the medicine and he took it easily.

“Thanks Hyeri.”

“No problem, Bro. Just remember this gesture tomorrow when you meet Dae-yeol.”

He groaned and glared, “Reschedule it, in my state right now, I’ll kill him.”

“Fine, but tell me why did you drink so much when you’re kinda a light weight.”

“When Joomin told me the reason he had beaten you, I didn’t want to make a scene, so I just kept drinking.”

I chuckled, “Thanks, Jong Kyu. For listening to me and not losing your cool.”

He laughed, “Yeah yeah, you’re welcome. Now get off my bed so I can sleep.”

“Arasseo.” I got up and went outside to put the leftovers away. Checking the fridge really fast, I noticed we were almost out of food. I wrote on the notepad on top of our fridge, “Get Groceries.” At least that I have something tomorrow now.

Back in the room, I texted Dae-yeol that Jong Kyu didn’t want to meet him just yet. He sent me an okay sign and said that him and everyone wished me good night. I sent back that I bid them good night as well. I fell asleep shortly after.