Preparation and Frustrations

Of all Coincidences

May 26

Oh I forgot to clarify my school’s weird, but helpful schedule. We only have five periods a day with study hall and homeroom, but we actually are assigned seven classes. We just skip two periods everyday and go through all the possibilities of every pair of classes that can be skipped. It gets really confusing when you’re the new kid, but it forces us to stay on our toes and the new kids to make friends.

*Snort* Crap, I’m sleepy. Right now it’s second period and it is the most boring class there is on campus. We actually had a poll on which class was the most boring and this class won. However, once we were placed in the class, there’s no way of getting out. Also lack of sleep played a big hand in my lack of alertness. My head just kept bobbing around snapping myself awake when my head is about to hit the table. I saw my classmates snickering at me, but I didn’t have energy to care. My swaying continued throughout the period.

When third period came, my teacher commented that I looked like a zombie. Trying my best to make her not worry about me, all my energy had to go into my smile. Thankfully, Jung Hye was in my class so she jolted me awake. Unfortunately, it was through fangirling. Blah-blah-blah Teen Top is making a comeback Blah-Blah-Blah. She finally stopped talking once our teacher sent her outside for talking. That’s when one of Jong Kyu’s younger friend took Eonni’s seat and made chitchat with me.

At lunchtime, Eonni was still unforgiving that I didn’t try to stand up for her in third period. I tried to defend myself saying that I got caught up in my conversation with the other classmate. She didn’t buy it. Dae-yeol noticed her anger so he kept his distance from her. I didn’t even try to argue with her anymore because after a while, it just gets frustrating fighting with a very stubborn person like her. She said that today, she’ll just go straight home by herself since she has to do her share of the project. We said okay and thought it would be a good idea to start as well.

After lunch ended, Dae-yeol and me walked to our next class where our study hall took place. He was texting his brother to find out what time he was going home today. In between those messages, I told Oppa about the chatting website, like the full detail and showed him the messages too. He agreed that Taehyun appeared harmless so there shouldn’t be much to worry about on the weekend. That made me remember I had to tell Taehyun that Friday was bad for me since I had to cover Jong Kyu’s so he could go clubbing.

I sent out the message with Dae-yeol hovering over, “Taehyunnie! The study session can be only on Saturday right?”

Taehyun took a while in his reply, so did Dae-yeol’s brother. While waiting, I brought out my laptop and got everything pertaining to the game completed and Oppa helped me with memorizing the commands. When the two finally replied, we looked at our respected screens to answer the two.

“Oh, did you have something for Friday? And Saturday’s great! Around noon? XD I’m so happy that you’ll help me!!!!! Then I can finally meet you face to face. Errr I’ll recognize you, but where am I supposed to look? :[“

“Friday, I have to cover for my brother. xC Oh, I can reserve the room and then wait outside for you and your hyungs. >_< then noon would be perfect. The only thing now is textbooks. You have to bring your own okay? I can bring notebooks for you.”

“Okay, I’ll bring them!! Thank you Dongsaeng! My teacher said that if I complete all of my late work and pass the test, she won’t fail me for the year. >___<“

“Damn Oppa, you really know how to make someone feel the pressure. XO I’ll try my best and I have to go, BYE~~~~~ See you Saturday.”

I cut the conversation short because I saw Dae-yeol sitting there, signaling that he finished his conversation with his hyung. He said that we couldn’t go over his house, so instead he wanted to go to the library so he knew where it was. I told him it was fine and it would be better if I showed him where the library was. Oppa made that dorky smile of his.

From the gossip of my other classmates, there are girls that want to go after Oppa, but since he wears glasses, his nerdiness shines through as it does with his computer gaming.

This made me start looking at him more. It was embarrassing because he caught me staring a couple times already, but I played it off as zoning out. Oppa was handsome, he was just really dorky. He noticed again so he kicked me to get my attention. The kick scared me so much that I fell out of my seat. Everyone started laughing while Dae-yeol apologized. The bell rang before anyone could mock me on my fall. I told Dae-yeol that he has to treat me to a bubble drink if he’s sorry. He narrowed his eyes and said fine.

Class started and we had another project assigned to us. We had to work in pairs again, but the teacher chose the partners. I ended up getting one of the moderately lazy people. He does work, but he just procrastinates too much causing it to kill his grade. He did the same as Jung Hye did and separated the work so we didn’t have to see each other outside of school. Apparently he had an image that he wanted to protect.

Oppa got one of his fan girls which feels like a good revenge after he kicked me. She was a mix between flustered and trying to be flirty. Dae-yeol was completely oblivious which made it even more funny. Every time their hands touched, because Dae-yeol didn’t care, she would jolt a little causing the papers in her hand to fall. I tried my best to hold in my laughter, you would think Oppa would notice by the third time she dropped the papers that she was sensitive to his touch. When the interaction was finally over, Oppa came to me and pulled up a chair to my desk. I looked at him like I was expecting something, but he just looked at me with a confused expression. I shrugged my shoulders to brush it off asking, “So what’s the plan for you and your partner?”

“Oh, she wanted me to go over her house on Saturday, but since I have plans with you, we just split the project and do it at our own homes. What about you? Where is your partner?”

“He split the work as well. He didn’t want to be seen working with me, easier on me. And thank you for not standing me up over the weekend~” I said the last sentence with a playful tone. He took it the wrong way.

“Are you trying to use aegyo so I won’t make any other plans on Saturday? I already promised so you don’t have to use it on me.” He snickered while giving me his dorky smile.

My face dropped into a pout, but I quickly change it into a frown so it didn’t look like aegyo again. “No, what you call aegyo is what I call joking around.”

He rolled his eyes before just replying, “Whatever, it was aegyo to me.”

Before I could deny it again, the bell rang for us to go to our last period of the day. Class passed by fast to me, all because of Oppa and his fan girl taking forever to set up their project.

Right now, my last period was music instruments class. The teacher taught us how to play guitar, piano, and depending on our progress, drums. Most of the class already knew how to do piano so we advanced onto guitar quickly before making the final transition to drums. I love playing the piano and guitar because it’s very common instruments in K-POP, but my brother and a couple of his friends were in the class too. My teacher was inputting our grades and giving make-up tests so he just told us free time.

In the class there were 4 pianos, 3 keyboards, 10 guitars, and 2 drum sets. People quickly went after the pianos so I went to the keyboards. Since it was out of boredom, I started pressing random beats to make a tune. When I put it on playback, it sounded okay, but thankfully I could play other keys with it to help it. “Hmm, that sounds pretty good.” A voice suddenly said behind me. I turned around to see who it was, internally I frowned. It was one of Jong Kyu’s friends. I faked a smile and said, “It’s not even close to being decent, I’m just messing around.”

He chuckled as he sat next to me on the bench, exclaiming, “Then you should teach me if you can make something like that and it being only ‘messing around.’ I’m not good with this type of thing, you know, with music.”

It was obvious that he gained confidence when I laughed a little. In the corner of my eye, I saw Jong Kyu’s facial expression hardened at my laugh, but he should know in these situations, I’m very handy in information. “Sunbae, are you playing a joke on me? I went to the same middle school as you and your title was the musical prodigy. This should be child’s play for you if your level is that high.” His face flushed, he didn’t even know I existed in middle school. His composure quickly returned, trying to aegyo his way out, “Awww, you couldn’t just play along? I wanted you to make more tunes, that’s why I pretended to be y at music.” In my mind, I rolled my eyes, but in front of him, I just erased the beats I made earlier and created new ones.

He was listening intently like he was grading me. This particular friend, I forget his name, he was considered a romantic gold digger. He would seduce rich women with his music and get what he wants. He wasn’t my type so having him next to me wasn’t awkward in the sense that I was flustered, it was awkward that he wanted to talk to me.

When I finally created a tune that I liked, I brought out my phone and placed it near the little speaker. I recorded my music so I could show it to Jung Hye after, she was jealous that I got this class so we promised that she’ll give me her drawings and I present whatever music I make. When the recording finished, my sunbae snatched my phone before the keyboard was turned off. The classroom was pretty quiet so everyone would notice if there was a commotion. Waited patiently when my sunbae finally gave me back my phone, explaining that he wanted to put his number in it. My head just moved in a nodding motion because there’s no rational explanation for this. He patted my shoulder before heading back to his friends.

I checked my contacts and saw that he put his name under “Favorite Oppa <3.” Since he wasn’t behind me, I changed it to Jong Kyu’s Chingu.

There was still 20 minutes left in class so I texted my brother even though he was behind me, “Umm, care to explain about your friend? BTW, I’m planning to delete his number.”

“You don’t want to know, just keep avoiding everyone. Then yeah it’s best that you do delete his number. Make sure he doesn’t get yours, otherwise, you’ll be getting more messages from him than you do me.” That last sentence just did it, if his friend ever gets my number, I’m changing it. Jong Kyu is already a pain in the in texts, any more and it’s texting hell.

“Okay, he ain’t ever going to get my number. Oh yeah, after school I got to go library, I’ll be home around 5:30-6:00.”

“Okay, just be home by that time. My friends are still a bit shocked the last time they saw you heading towards our apartment. Be more careful next time!”

We were having a civilized conversation, but it’s about to become an argument. Instead of replying back, I checked the clock to see there was only a couple of minutes left of school. I grabbed my bag, checking that I had everything and texted Dae-yeol that we’ll meet up at the front gate. Eonni already told me ahead of time that she was going to do all of her homework tonight so she could have Friday free to drag me to idol hunting. Covering for Jong Kyu was around 9 so there was lots of time to hunt down EXO.

When the bell rang, I didn’t say goodbye to anyone, my top priority was to be separated from Jonggie and his friends.

Arriving at the front gate, I noticed that Dae-yeol was talking with a girl from a different school. From the blush on her face, she was confessing to him. I stayed out of Oppa’s line of sight so I could find out his honest answer. Dae-yeol sighed, “Why do you like me? How do you even know me, I don’t go to your school.”

“I-I saw you on the subway heading to school. We caught the same subway for the past week. Then I like you because you are very handsome, Oppa.” She batted her eyelashes, hoping that it would put her in a better light. It just set her back. “Sorry, but I don’t like it when someone likes others only based on appearance. Then I can’t just accept a confession with just someone I see on the way to school. And I would appreciate it if you didn‘t call me Oppa.”

The girl started tearing up and Oppa started feeling guilty. However, he didn’t want to be forced into the relationship so he bowed before walking away. He started scanning the area. He spotted me leaning against a tree that was fairly close to him. He narrowed his eyes, accusing me of eavesdropping. I gave a nervous smile. When I walked up to him, the girl glared at me. He didn’t let me react as he took my hand and made me walk away from her.

Once we got to the corner, Oppa’s face flushed. I chuckled and , “Wowwww Oppa, you are really popular! Oh, so handsome.” He teased me back and we laughed the entire way I guided him to the library.

In the library, the librarian recognized me. She asked me what I needed so I decided to reserved the room for the weekend already. She logged it into the computer and told me that the room is reserved. I thanked her and bowed.

I led Oppa to one of the open tables so we could get started on our project. It was due next week Thursday so better sooner than later.

When it was 4:30, I told Oppa that we better go so he wouldn’t miss his train. He agreed so we packed up to leave. I walked him to the subway station and continued to about the girl’s confession by hugging him, saying, “This is what the girl wanted to do~~~”

His dorky smile went into a evil smirk, “Maybe so. If I had accepted her confession then I would do this to her.” He lowered his face and pecked my forehead down to my nose. My arms fell in shock while he just turned around to get on his train. My crimson face appeared as he was still smirking in the subway, relishing in his victory of our battle.

His train pulled away from the station and there was no choice, but to snap out of my trance. With my face still heated, I walked home.

On my way home, I had that weird feeling that someone was behind me. However, every time I turned around, no one was there. My watch read 5:16 and the sun was about to set for the day. The feeling disturbed me so my pace quickened enough to look like I’m late for something, but not that I’m trying to outrun someone. Like predicted, I had no such luck as footsteps could be heard from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to see a tall figure with a hoodie concealing his face from me. Sadly used to this situation, my legs went into overdrive, running like it was a marathon.

I got home after about 15 minutes of running. My pursuer gave up after a little while since he couldn’t keep up with me. Jonggie saw me and narrowed his eyes suspiciously. He threatened me until I explained what happened after I left the subway station. He gritted his teeth while we walked up to our apartment. Jonggie said that I was to come home straight after school, otherwise, him or Yongsun had to be with me. I started yelling at him that he couldn’t control my life like this. He had no excuse to be so overprotective that he became such a manipulative . Jong Kyu sighed before we went inside our bedroom.

Inside, Jonggie finally explained to me why he became so overprotective recently and why his friends has been attempting to become closer to me. They were holding a game/bet. It was whoever could sleep with the next girl that walked into the cafeteria would win a “grand prize.” Since Jung Hye held the door open for me, technically I was the next girl to walk in, making me their target. It was his entire group in the bet, including him since our relationship is secret, which amounted to 6. So far only three of the five that are seriously playing has approached me. The third guy only made small interaction with me when one of the girl knocked over my books. He helped me pick them up and badmouthed the girls for my sake. However, I don’t want anymore between me and anyone that likes my brother, except Jung Hye.

“What are we going to do then? Your friends are annoying to me, none of them are likable to me.”

“Hey, I know this whole thing is wrong, but they are still my friends. Then for the bet, there has to be a loophole to this. If only there was a way someone won without touching you.”

“DO NOT GET ANY IDEAS, JONG KYU! I know exactly what you are thinking so don’t you dare say it.” I will seriously go ape if he says it.

“What?! That’s the only way! We gotta pretend that I won the bet so the others will get off your back and I’ll split the prize with you.” He tried justifying himself, but it wasn’t enough as I jumped on him and started shaking him crazily. Usually, I would just strangle him, but with my anger, I really will kill him. He got stronger when he went through puberty so he simply shoved me and I flew off.

He apologized, saying that he’ll let me make the decision for this situation. I thanked him with extreme sarcasm that he, at last, gave me the power to make decisions for myself on such a life-depending matter. He grimaced, flipping over in his bed to pretend to go sleep.

I shrugged. I did my night routine to get ready for bed and then climbed up the bunk to meet the clean sheets and soft blanket with maple leaves pattern on it. Tomorrow will probably be when Jonggie expects my decision. I don’t see why we don’t wait it out, summer is a week away. Aww, if the prize is that huge then they’ll bother me even over the summer. Never mind, we gotta deal with this NOW. How can I get them to drop the bet without ruining Jong Kyu’s reputation… just sleep on it.