The Seoul Life

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beethoven’s Ode to Joy plays in the background. Couples are spinning around on the dance floor, or as most normal people would call, waltzing; dressed in the classic 1800 Victorian style. Among the crowd is Hwang Tiffany chatting it up with a couple of aristocrats, debating on social politics and the next king. Busying herself with socializing, she does not notice a man approaching to ask for her hand. Of course she accepts. It is the normal standard response to a gentleman requesting for your hand. Along side the other couples, Tiffany and the man continue to spin and spin and spin until the clock strikes twelve when she remembers that the 1800 Victorian style does not exist in South Korea nor does the country have a monarchy system.

 

“Dear Hwang,” the man starts, “how shall beep beep beep …”

 

 

Jolting up so suddenly, Tiffany falls out of bed, and a huge groan emits from her. The annoying alarm is shut down when Tiffany throws it off the bed side table. Tiffany sighs, as she gets up. That dream. She’s been having that dream since she returned home from Seoul with Changmin, but then momentarily disappeared when Changmin left for Seoul again for his new job.

 

Everything that belongs to Changmin is gone. His clothes, his books, everything, except for the bracelet their dad gave him as a child, before the whole dad-going-alcoholic thing and losing mom. After their dad turned crazy, he stored it underneath the clothes in his dresser. Tiffany assumes he left it since it reminded him of terrible memories. Though she hates the bracelet, she keeps it on her dresser as the last remain of her oppa.

 

Speaking of his departure, when Changmin announced his new job to her, Tiffany freaked out. She was in hysteria, crying. But she let Changmin go because she knows Changmin is heading in the right direction for success. Plus, she didn’t want any more drama in her life, like she needs more drama.

 

Excluding her brother’s departure, nothing in Tiffany’s life changed so much. She still goes to work at the bakery, and the owner gives her the leftovers. However, she quit her jobs at the other two places since Changmin is making enough money to pay for her rent and any other basic necessities.

 

Though there is one thing that did change for the good. Every day she would have a three way call with Jessica and Yonghwa. Get this, Yonghwa is having his first solo album while the other members focus on their dramas. Jessica is thrilled that she promises to visit Cheongdam Dong and they’ll have a celebration. Jessica, on the other hand, is in Myeongdong, and is occupied with her store. Currently, she is designing a line of suits and collaborating with another company called Mr. Mr.

 

Oh, how Tiffany misses Seoul.

 

 

In contrast to Tiffany’s tedious life, the Seoul life is hectic and loud. Every person living in the city has somewhere to go; be it at school, work, or the mall, everyone has a place they need to be. Taxis speeding by, having silent yet piercing - due to the engines - wars on the streets, competing to reach potential customers first.

 

On the high end fashion strip of Myeongdong, Seoul, Jessica is in full strides; hands in her coat pockets, hair wavy and flowy, and her heels clicking with every step. Guys are checking her out, however, she takes no notice. She’s occupied formulating plans for her business. I could add some refined details to the hem of the jacket, Jessica ponders.

 

“Oh!” Jessica squeaks, bumping into a person. “I’m sorry -”

 

“Jessica!” Donghae beams. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Mr. Lee Donghae has returned, if that was not obvious enough. He’s grinning from ear to ear, excited to see his ex-girlfriend again. He goes in for hug and Jessica amazingly hugs back out of confusion. “We should catch up later on,” he says over a  cup of tea. As Donghae requested, they migrated from the sidewalks to the nearest Starbucks to have a conversation and learn how they each are.

 

Jessica sips her iced coffee. “I wish I could. Unfortunately,” not so unfortunate on her part, though, “I have work. I don’t think you’ve heard but I have my own fashion store and line, and I’m swamped with creating new designs and - oomph!” Donghae shushes Jessica with the his fore finger.

“I know,” he smiles, taking his finger of her lips. “I’ve read the magazines you used to work for, and it mentioned how you were opening your new store here in Myeongdong. I knew you would be successful.” He retreats into his chair, satisfied.

 

“So are you. You’re a warrior.”

 

“Yeah but being a Taegeuk Warrior isn’t all that good. I don’t know if you heard,” he gravitates towards her, “but we lost at the World Cup, and got pelted by toffees on our return home.” He grimaces, remembering the humiliating event.

 

She draws away from him. “I did hear. I felt,” she thinks for a mom” bad for you and your team.”

 

“It seems as if we’ve both been following each other,” Donghae notes. He calls over the waiter and orders another cup of black coffee.  

 

“In a non-stalker way, yes,” Jessica agrees. She eyes the clock and sees they’ve been talking for about fifteen minutes. That is fifteen minutes too long. “Look, Donghae,” she her lips, “the pleasure is all mine to meet South Korea’s current star player of the national soccer team. I really, really am. But I’ve got to get to work.” And desires to get away from Donghae’s intense staring. It’s the type that can penetrate a person’s soul and make them feel exposed.

 

Donghae bites the inside of his cheek, considering his next words. “Sica,” he scratches the side of his mouth, “please, tell me this isn’t the last we’ll see of each other. Lets meet up. Tonight. At the Gangnam Style Bar.”

 

“Ah, you mean the bar named after Psy’s song? The bar’s not even located in Gangnam, although, it’s a nice bar. Fine. I’ll take you up on that offer.” She flicks her hair to the side exposing the milky white skin of her slender neck. Donghae gulps down his saliva, trying to maintain composure. “For one drink. That’s all.”

 

 

Six pages of scratched lyrics thrown to the ground. Nothing inspirational is coming to Yonghwa’s mind, which is absurd because he has plenty of experiences to draw from; like his first love mishap, car accident, losing his wife to cancer, and an unrequited love. So many experiences to  get inspiration from. Yet, zilch. He would write down one line, look over it, and then crumple it up and throw it like the rest.

 

His phone beeps. A message from Ailee.

 

Ailee: Oppa-yah! I hope you aren’t stuck in the studio again!

 

Yonghwa chuckles. It’s great being friends with Ailee, however, he fears they are getting too close for Ailee’s good. Jessica tells him that, the closer they get, the more hope is installed in Ailee. Be as it may, if he distances himself from her, she’ll get hurt and confused. He doesn’t know what to do, because in any love crisis he’s been in, he was the one chasing after the girls. Luckily there is Joon to save Ailee from the heartache she’ll undergo if she continues to love Yonghwa.

 

Joon is a better match for her.

 

 

Slouching over the kitchen counter, a bottle of soju nearby, Tiffany is doing her best to phone Siwon. All she gets is his voice mail. “Pick up, Siwon!” She furiously curses and takes another chug of soju.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter