The Birth of a New Friendship?

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t you ever feel awkward to meet people you haven’t seen in years and never expect to see again, but then you both show up at the same party, and like you are just standing in front of one another, wondering what to say?

 

Tiffany would say, heck yes. So would Victoria. The Victoria.

 

On one of Tiffany’s last days in Seoul, Siwon invited her to a fancy ball at a hotel, a gathering of popular celebrities hosted by Siwon’s family.

 

Victoria, with her long straight hair bleached, giving off a Legally Blonde vibe, has completely change. First starters, she smiles. Not the kind where it has a hidden evil plan plotting to destroy you. But a friendly smile. One that shows a warm welcome and good-to-see-you-again.

 

“My fiancee, Tao, is an action film star,” Victoria explains, pointing to a Chinese man from afar, “We’ve been together for about two and half years. Planning to get married next year.”

 

Tiffany smiles back. She’s really glad to hear that Victoria is doing good but she is sadden at how Victoria, someone younger than her, has wedding plans before her [Tiffany]. “That’s good to hear.” And strange. “How is it? I mean, being engaged. It must be a weird feeling. Getting engaged. I never imagined …”

 

“That I would marry someone that isn’t Nichkhun,” interrupts Victoria, shocking the other girl. Nichkhun has not crossed Tiffany’s mind since bumping into his little sister, but now that the Chinese girl mentioned him, she has this strong desire to know how is he. “He’s fine,” Victoria says, as if she read Tiffany’s thoughts. “More than fine, actually. He’s about to take over our dad’s business.”

 

“That’s … great.” Oh, there are so many questions that Tiffany wants to ask. How has his college years been? Did he make some new American fans? Did come back to Korea on a yearly basis? When did he came back anyways? Why was he too busy to contact her?

 

Victoria stays quiet before ushering Tiffany to follow her out to the balcony. In the cold, they inhale the natural fresh air and withstand saying another word. It’s uncomfortable for Tiffany since she’s sitting next to a girl who practically tried to destroy her life. The pictures have haunted Tiffany since leaving high school. Employers have decided against to hire her due to the findings of these pictures. Past classmates still leave messages on her Facebook wall or the messenger app, leading her to block every single one of them.

 

“A bit overdue,” Victoria starts, “but I am sorry.” Tiffany sharply turns to look at her. “I’m sorry for the past, for ruining yours and Nichkhun’s future.” Victoria closes her eyes in reminiscence. A few weeks before Nichkhun was to leave for America, five years ago, he discovered her snooping around his room, and then found the emails that Victoria sent of Tiffany’s pics to his entire class. He was enraged, and quickly left Korea to get away from Victoria. He wanted to say goodbye to Tiffany but his mother forbid him to. He never told his mom what happened until a year later when he returned home for the first time, and his mother was too embarrassed and could no longer look at Victoria the same.

 

“I shouldn’t have done anything to you when you made my dear brother happy.” Victoria extends her arm for a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter