Improvise

How Long Will It Last?

I would seriously like to thank Mochilla for showing me some support and being patient with me! Thank you! :D 

And my apologies to my dear readers for not updating this story for months. Really sorry! >.< Anyhow, enjoy!

Ji Hee

My eyes nervously darted all over the place, immediately attracted to anybody with blonde hair. It scared me. I pushed Caroline's broken glasses back into place, refusing to take them off despite their tattered state. Caroline, of course, was sour with the thought of her accessory being broken. Apparently, her boyfriend had bought it for her and told her she had looked "cute" with the glasses on. She was really sour.

"Emily, you owe me a cup of bubble tea and a pair of glasses." Caroline reminded me, shifting from her sour mood as she pulled her phone out. She lightened up and reached for my arm as she showed me the text messages she'd exchanged with a fellow intern, planning out a dinner tonight. "Mei Hua invited us to have dinner with her and a couple of other friends! We should go!"

"Oh, yeah. We should." I mumbled, keeping an eye out for Kevin. I shoot a nervous glance at my watch and see that I have less than five minutes before Kevin arrives. This is where I make a choice. To hide or to confront. If I hide, I could avoid getting such a headache today. If I confront, I could get this whole thing over with. To hide or to confront? "Caroline, why don't you head back to the dorm first? I forgot to speak with Soyeon about something."

To confront. I decided to confront. To confront, I needed Caroline to leave. I suppose it'll be much easier for me. I could act however I wanted without anyone there to correct my "mistakes".

"Is it important? I mean, I was planning to do a bit of gift hunting with you. I like Mei Hua. She seems nice." Caroline started. "She was nice enough to invite us to her dorm for dinner and introduce us to some friends. Not to mention, other interns will be there too. I'd like to show her how thankful I am for her to help us connect with the others."

"Eh," I scrunched up my nose, distracting by Caroline. I shook my head and stepped away from her. "You can just help me buy some random gift and I'll pay you back later. I don't need to go gift shopping. By the way, I've been meaning to tell Soyeon this for a pretty long time anyways. It's either now or much, much later." I fibbed.

"Emily!" Caroline whined as I took continuous steps away from her. "Don't forget that you owe me a bubble tea and glasses. I might forgive you if you come with me." Giving me the puppy eyes, I cursed whoever taught her a bit of agyeo. It better not have been Mei Hua or I'd reconsider getting her a gift.

"I like that key word you put in there. ‘Might'. I'll make it up to you someday. But today's not the day." I answered, sticking my tongue out at her playfully. Caroline pouted and I held back a laugh. It'd been less than a month since we've been here and Caroline was already being koreanized.

I continued to as the distance between us widened and I'd bump into someone. Caught off balance, I felt gravity acting on my body as I fell towards the floor. Two arms shot out and grabbed mine, breaking my fall. Feeling my heart skip a beat from the scare, I felt my breath become heavy as I struggled to breath. I was in a bit of a shock. I mean- who actually knows when they're going to fall and prepares for it?

The voice of my helper causes my heart to stop in total and my breath to be completely gone. Frozen at the sound of his voice, Caroline ran up to me, yanking me from the hands of my helper.

"Emily, are you okay?" Caroline's eyebrows knit together in worry as she looks at me. With my throat completely dry, I manage to give her a weak nod as she sighs in relief.

"Every time I see you, you always seem to fall." His voice distracted Caroline and Caroline focused on him. She didn't seem to understand what he'd said as it'd been in Korean and she responded with a "thank you". Of course, I should've responded that way, but for some reason I wanted to hide so badly. I suddenly wished that I hadn't chosen to confront him.

"I guess..." I stammered in Korean. "I don't think I can discuss the payment with you today. I have to go somewhere with my friend."

"Oh, you have to go somewhere with your friend? I was hoping we'd get to talk today." It felt odd how he'd suddenly spoke in English, but I had soon figured out why. 

"She doesn't want to go with me though." Caroline blurted out and I froze. She was the only way out of this right now and I needed her to help me, not to abandon me. "And we've just left our internship in this hospital. She'll be having dinner with a friend of ours tonight, but otherwise the three hours in between, she's completely free." I wanted to find some duct tape or anything to cover Caroline's mouth. She was driving to the edge of the cliff and I was going completely crazy.

"No, I told her I'd go shopping with her today." I fibbed, shooting glares at Caroline. Caroline seemed to have misunderstood my glares and winked at me.

"But you know Emily has never really been fond of shopping. And we could always go shopping together some other time. So, Emily can definitely go on a date with you!" I wished that there was some kind of wall nearby that I could gladly slam my head on until I fell into a coma. Was Caroline seriously this dense? "Ah, I have to go know. The bus will come soon and I have to catch it. I hope you'll take extra good care of Emily. Bye~!"

"Caroline!" Now it was my turn to whine. Caroline sent me another wink before dashing off to "catch the bus" (please, Caroline never took the bus once we got to Seoul). I turned to Kevin, who watched Caroline run off.

"Well, let's not stand here and talk. Let's go to a coffee shop." Kevin pulled out his own mask and put it around his face, slipping on a pair of sunglasses while he was at it. Beckoning for me to follow him, I groaned and hit my forehead as I reluctantly followed. 

Okay, the thing about Seoul was that it had a lot of coffee shops. I wasn't even going to lie. Back in New York, Starbucks was almost everywhere. In Seoul, however, there were Starbucks and other coffee shops under different names. In a block alone, there could be two to four coffee shops. And depending on their location, they could either be half filled shops or crowded shops. Either way, they made a huge profit.

Taking a seat at the back of the coffee shop where the view was far from being best, I got back up and headed to the somewhat long line to order. Kevin didn't seem to mind waiting as he tapped his fingers on the table, looking around. I came back shortly with two cups of hot chocolate.

"Well, how much do I owe you?" I asked, getting straight to the point. He took a sip of his drink, ignoring my question as he pulled his mask off.

"Why'd you get hot chocolate? We're in a coffee shop if you haven't noticed." Fidgeting in my seat a bit, I hesitated to answer. 

"I'm not much of a coffee person. I drink it from time to time, but I'm not a big fan of it." I answered, taking a sip of my hot chocolate. "By the way, I'm sure you've heard that caffeine is a drug. And frankly, it's not good for the bladder anyhow."

"Oh right. You're an intern at the Seoul hospital, right?" Silently cursing the ever so oblivious Caroline for blurting it out, I nodded. "So, you're studying to be a doctor. It figures why health would seem so important to you."

"I really only care about my bladder. I can't afford to go to the toilets every few minutes." I answered, placing my cup down on the table in between us and putting my mask back on. "As an idol, I suggest you lay off the coffee as well. It'll yellow your teeth and with a busy schedule like yours, you can't afford going to the toilet as much." Kevin doesn't respond, instead his face is blank and a deafening silence falls upon us.

"So, you know I'm an idol huh?" His voice range drops to a whole new level of low, which I had never thought he'd be able to reach. 

Trying to act casual, I leaned back in my chair and shrugged. "Well, if you must know... U-Kiss is popular internationally. You shouldn't be surprised that you have some fans here and there. I happen to be friends with a couple of them." Noticing the atmosphere change, I cleared my throat and pushed the broken glasses up the bridge of my nose. "Let's talk about your phone. I'm sure you're a very busy person. An iPhone should be around five hundred dollars. Depending on how much memory it has the price changes."

"Why are your glasses broken?" I was caught off guard. Here I was, trying to settle this problem and he was doing what? Trying to avoid the problem? Did he not need my money? Well it figures since he's an idol, but if that was the case... what was I doing here?

"Do you want to solve this problem or not? Let's not wast-" I was cut off when he shot me with another question.

"Why are you wearing a face mask like I am?" His eyebrows knitted together as if he was trying to solve a math problem. Cocking his head to the side, he took another sip of his drink seemingly left in deep thought.

"I'm not feeling well today." I mumbled. I was taken aback when Kevin suddenly stood up and took my glasses off, his fingers slightly brushing against my face. 

And with that, I slapped his hand away. It was funny how much his touch could hurt.

His eyes were fixated on the broken lenses as he looked at me with a small smile plastered onto his face. "These glasses are fake."

Turning away from him to hide my red face and to hide my face in general, I faked a cough. "Thanks for stating the obvious. Could I have my glasses back though?"

"Why? They're fake anyways. And I think you look better without glasses." I shut my eyes refusing my heart to react as the words left his mouth.

"Ji Hee, you were an actress. Did you forget how to act?" I whispered to myself as a form of encouragement. "You're Emily Lee. Born and raised in New York. You've always wanted to be a doctor." Knowing that he wouldn't be able to hear me, I muttered a few more words and then held my hand out towards him without facing him.

"Please give me my glasses back."

"Maybe if you look at me." Kevin was being awfully stubborn and I couldn't help but wonder if he knew. Collecting all the courage I had in my body, I pushed the negative emotions out and my hands were balled into fists.

"I don't see the point of this. I promised to meet you because I'd broken your phone and had felt bad about it. If all you're going to do is avoid talking about your phone, I'd much rather not feel bad about breaking your phone anymore." I spat, managing to turn away from him. I had to leave now. It wasn't like he was going to give me my glasses back (Caroline's glasses, but you get the point). I was actually afraid that he'd find out. Who I really was.

Growing up as a kid, I'd always think it was stupid how people thought they were unrecognizable because they covered their mouth. It was stupid. What they needed to cover was their eyes. Their eyes were the ones that told stories, memories, and much more. Which was why I was so afraid of Kevin seeing my eyes. This was my last chance to escape.

"Please don't ever contact me unless you know how much I owe you." And with that, I fled the coffee stop.

 

 

I looked terrible. With dark eye bags and barely enough sleep, I trudged down the hall to the idiot's room to get things over with. My energy had dropped to a new low after meeting with him as I was forced to think back to the unsavory moments. Sadly, as an intern, I couldn't take a day off. Not while Dong Ho was due to leave the hospital soon and Soyeon was still busy with her own schedule.

"Don't you know how to knock?" I managed to look up at Dong Ho, who was sitting on the edge of his bed with his phone in hand. Shrugging, I picked up my clipboard, looking through his info to see his current state.

"Have you taken your medicine yet?" I mumbled, the mask muffling my voice even more. 

"Yeah, I took it about five minutes ago and I'm feeling better." Dong Ho responded. Apparently he was able to comprehend what I'd just said. Feeling his stare, I looked up from the clipboard and returned it.

"What?" 

"Nothing. You just look- terrible." I could tell he didn't mean it in an offensive way, but it still hurt. My bangs had somewhat covered my eyes, leaving me at peace though I didn't have glasses on. "What happened to your glasses by the way?"

"They broke yesterday. Remember?" I answered, clicking my pen. "Anyhow, I'm not your personal nurse so I can't stay here dilly dallying with you. Thankfully. So if you're not feeling pain anywhere, I'll be on my way." I turned away from him, advancing quickly towards the door.

"My back hurts." It was odd how three simple words caused me to stop. Frowning and holding back a tired sigh, I headed back and went closer to him, his hand at his lower back. "It hurts right here."

"That's because you're not sitting properly. You're sitting on a bed and that puts more pressure on your lower back. So sit on the wooden chair." I answered, rolling my eyes and prepared to leave the room once again.

"The leg hurts too." My jaw clenched and I headed back to him once again, a tiny bit infuriated. 

"Let me have a look at it." I rolled his pants up to his knee and began to look for any physical signs of pain. I felt his hand brush my bangs aside and I flinched under his touch. It was totally unexpected. The next thing I knew, his hand went behind my ear and pulled at the thin strap that kept my mask over my mouth. Taking huge steps back and away from him, my mask fell off and I covered my mouth with my hands.

"Do you really have to react that way?" He snorted, picking up my mask. He moved closer to me and his hands reached out towards me, pushing my bangs aside. He let out a heavy sigh as he covered his eyes. I was left speechless. 

"Why-" He stopped his sentence and looked at me, pulling my hands from my mouth. Letting out another sigh, his body went limp. "Why- no, where have you been?" I closed my eyes and covered my mouth again. Out of instinct.

His body pressed against mine as he leaned into me. His arms were wrapped around me as he used me as his support. He seemed to be tired. Just as I'd expected him to be.

 

 

"Ji Hee, what took you so long to come back?"

 

 

I wasn't going down without a fight. Acting wasn't all about memorizing scripts. If so, I would've been done a long time ago. Dramas would be absolutely terrible to watch and very much cringe worthy. This was not going to be one of them.

 

 

Acting was all about improvising as well. And that was what I was going to do.

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about."

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So another chapter done! And the special member this week is...

 

Lee Ji Hee

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCHOjxMGBiUxwWg16X0CI

Age: 19

Date of Birth: November 15, 1995

Blood Type: A

Height: 165 cm (5'5)

Signed Under: NH Media

Group: Horoscope

Horoscope Signs: Scorpio, Libra, Gemini 

Position: Maknae, Face of the Group, Main Rapper, Lead Dancer

Occupation: Singer/Idol, Model, Actress

 

Libra (September 23rd- October 22nd)

Libras are tactful and diplomatic. Libras are good at getting things done and have the ability to listen to others with different points of view. Libras are also romantic and charming. Whatever they do in life, they are driven by love and are seen as charming because they choose pleasant subjects to talk about, leaving no space for others to feel uncomfortable in their presence. Libras are also just. They believe in justice and fair play as they would never resort to using cunning ways to get what they want. Libras are represented by a scale and the scale itself, represents a trait. It represents balance as Libras wish to please everyone, never going to the extremes.

With all these good traits, there are bound to be bad traits. Libras are rumoured to be superficial, self- indulgent, detached, unreliable, laid-back, and indecisive. Libras are said to get carried away by outer beauty, ignoring the inner beauty of others. They tend to have a strong desire for material comforts and tend to waste money for such materials. Libras are firm and stong, but tend to wilt as they become detached and pretend to be pleasant as they wish to please others. Libras tend to change their mind often and because of how indecisive they are, they are seen as unreliable. Libras can be seen as laid-back or as lazy, but this is because they want to avoid any kind of stress.

Read more about it at this site!

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/libra/libra-traits.action

 

I hope that you guys enjoyed this tiny secton on the Libras. This does not mean that all Libras are like this. This is purely made for the fun of it and was not made to hurt or offend anyone. Are you a Libra? How much of this do you think is true? (For me, I think this is 99% true. Including the bad traits :( But hey, at least I have some good traits to keep my personailty balanced right?) 

Are you not a Virgo or a Scorpio or a Capricorn or even a Libra? Comment on what horoscope you wish to see next chapter! (Or not. I'll take the liberty of choosing then.) What sign are you? Or if you're curious to know more about someone else (friend, family, or even crush), what sign do you wish to learn more about?

Thank you Mochilla for choosing the horoscope sign this chapter! :D