The Newbie with the Ice Pack

How Long Will It Last?

"Emily, I need to ask you for a favor." Soyeon said a few days later. I was standing next to her as she sat at her desk in a rush, filling out some papers.

"What is it?" I was honestly happy to help her with anything. I needed the experience anyways.

"Well, this month I'm going to be very busy. I have to perform a couple of surgeries, including some of the ones I did not plan. I need all the rest I can get as well. However, Shin Dong Ho is a patient that needs to be checked up on everyday. Especially this coming week because he's due to leave the hospital. So," Soyeon stopped talking as she read a document in front of her before signing it and then continued. "I need you to take care of him."

"M-me?" I nearly choked on my own saliva out of disbelief. I had barely made it through the last visit and now she was asking me to do it for the next seven days? I was lucky that time. I didn't have to say much except for a hi. I was also lucky that in my pocket, I had a face mask to cover my mouth and my nose. My eyes on the other hand, I just avoided eye contact with him.

"I'm not asking you to do much. Just to ask him if he's feeling okay and if he took his medicine." Soyeon said, trying to persuade me. "Just once a day as well. At 3:30. He's about to leave the hospital and I want to make sure he's perfectly fine before sending him off. I don't want the reputation of the hospital to be ruined if he goes out a little off." Soyeon shuffled her papers together and picked them up.

"I- I don't think I'm ready to. I'm only a second year at my college. Under grad college too. What if I make a mistake?" I furrowed my eyebrows together, to fake my worry and doubts. 

"You can check with me then. Or with any other doctor here. Besides, I have confidence that you can handle a patient like him. He's almost better anyways, I just need you to make sure. I'm pretty sure he's feeling better, but just to be extra sure I need you to monitor him." Dang. She had an answer for every excuse that I had. I played with my fingers feeling a bit nervous.

"It's no problem but-"

"Thanks Emily! I'll talk you later then. Be sure you check up on him at 3:30 from today onwards okay?" Soyeon rushed out of the room as I finished my sentence.

"I-I'm not comfortable." I groaned and ruffled my hair, loosening the ponytail I had tied it up into.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The clock read 3:30. Great. Time to check up on the famous patient. I slipped a mask over my face and wiped the nearly invisible dust off of my white lab coat that was given to us with the word 'Intern' sewn onto it along with my name in dark blue. 

Emily Lee.

With this name, he wouldn't suspect... would he? After all, no one in Korea knew my English name. I suspect that even my parents have forgotten that I had one. Not to mention, the surname of Lee was very common here in Korea anyways.

I sighed and adjusted the fake glasses Caroline wore for fashion purposes on my face and silently yelled, 'fighting' in my head before walking into the room. Forgetting to knock, I practically barged in as Dong Ho was changing into a clean hospital shirt. I let out a gasp as Dong Ho stumbled and fell onto the floor.

"Don't you now how to knock?" He hissed, startled. My eyes were still wide opened with shock.

"I'm sorry. I'm just an intern here. I thought you knew about the check up at 3:30." I squeezed my eyes shut and turned away as I heard the bed creak. I didn't want him to think that I was a sasaeng fan or a ert.

"I did, which was why I was changing into a cleaner shirt. I thought you'd have the decency to knock before you enter." He moaned in pain as I heard the bed creak a bit more. "By the way you can turn around now."

I turned around to see displeased and bored Dong Ho. "Why did they have to send me an intern." He grumbled.

"Are you hurting anywhere?" I asked, getting to the point. The sooner I got this thing done, the sooner I could leave. I was so close to walking out on him already, but I couldn't. If I wanted to be an actual doctor one day, this kind of experience would be valuable. I could also get experience with picky and rude patients.

"My kinda hurts." He replied sarcastically. "Thanks to a certain newbie."

I was glad I had the mask on because I turned red from anger and embarrassment when he called me a newbie. The one word I despised the most. I was the youngest in my family and also in the group, Horoscope and I felt as if they were looking down at me when they said that word. I still haven't changed ever since two years ago. My form of revenge came in pranks. And here I was, already thinking of one.

"Would you like this newbie to get an ice pack for you, Mr. Shin?" I asked in sickeningly polite voice. I bowed to him and smiled even though he wouldn't be able to see it. "I'll be right back." 

I left the room in a hurry, asking for an ice pack. A nurse gave me one and I hurried back to his room, making sure to knock and then barge in, once again startling him.

"Mr. Shin, if I may, can you please flip onto your back so I can apply this ice pack to your sore area?" He sent me a look, calling me crazy with his eyes.

"Ahem..." He looked at my name tag and cleared his throat. "Intern Lee or Dr. Lee, I hope you know that it was a joke. I didn't mean it." He rolled his eyes and picked up his iPhone to read a message he had just recieved. Smiling sweetly, I took the phone from his hands.

"Mr. Shin, I hope you know I don't take jokes too lightly. If anything were to happen to you, I could get in serious trouble." I put his phone on the white bedside table and held the ice pack up. "Now flip over."

"You're crazy!" He growled in response, reaching for his phone again. I slapped his hand away from the phone and moved it across the room as he slowly got up to get it, glaring at me. As he got up to retrieve his phone, I slipped the ice pack into his pants as he jumped in surprise. "What is wrong with you?"

"I'm just doing my part as an intern." I answered with a monotone. After jumping around for a minute, he got the ice pack out and held it out towards me.

"If I were you, I'd run right now." He warned, his eyes meeting mine. Oooo-kay. This was not the side of him that I wanted to deal with right now. It seems as if this was a competition. And with competitions... Dong Ho has to win. He breaks into a smile, which in the past I have foolishly believed he was just happy or excited and I hurried to the door.

"If you need anything else, just.... call for a doctor!" I managed to say as I scrambled to the door. Even though he was a bit weak from the surgery, he caught up to me and slipped the ice pack down the back of shirt, causing me to wince at how cold it was. I started to jump up and down, trying desperately to get the ice pack out of my shirt as he leaned against a wall and watched me, laughing.

"Of course I'd call for a doctor. I wouldn't call for a newbie like you ever." He smirked and watched as I began to flap my lab coat hoping it would help the ice pack fall out of my shirt. "Seeing you like this now... I won't tell your superiors on you." The ice pack fell out of my shirt just then and I shoot him a glare. He moved towards me and took my glasses off and looked at me directly in the eyes.

"But you have to make up for the pain I'm feeling right now." He dropped to the floor, holding his side, crushing the glasses he held his hands a moment ago. This was so like Dong Ho. No matter how much pain he had to go through he had to win. I stood there not knowing how to react. I bent down and looked at him, worry was very evident on my face even if I had a mask on.

"Did you take the medicine they gave you?" I asked, noticing how his breathing pattern changed. He shook his head. I sighed and helped him up, moving him to his bed. "Where did they put your medicine?" He pointed to the bedside table and I opened the first drawer to find the medicine he needed to take. After this huge fuss, I turned to leave the room with my broken glasses or should I say Caroline's? Oh she was going to blow when she finds out.

"Don't forget. You have to make it up to me." He called after me as I shook my head and closed the door. Oh... what mess have I gotten myself into? I closed the door and sighed.

At least this isn't the worst case scenario. I could just keep wearing glasses and a mask to keep him from recognizing me. It's just seven days too. It's not like it's forever right?

Just when I thought I was ready for anything, I was so wrong. My phone buzzed and I saw a recieved message.

 

Do you have time today? We need to settle the incident regarding my phone. Let's meet outside the Seoul Hospital, today at four. - Kevin

Shoot. Someone shoot me now. I just dealt with one U-Kiss member. Please don't let me go through the same thing again. For my entire stay in Korea for these next few months... am I going to have to wear a mask where ever I go?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*This chapter is a bit awkward since I didn't really plan this chapter out. >.< I hate writing beginnings. But this chapter's special member is....

 

Kim In Hye

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXROGh7fcRqcoI8ldlsLL

Age: 21

Date of Birth: December 22, 1993

Blood Type: B

Height: 163 cm (5'4)

Signed Under: NH Media

Group: Horoscope

Horoscope Signs: Capicorn, Leo, Pisces

Position: Main Dancer, Visual, Sub-Vocalist

Occupation: Singer/Idol, Model, Dancer

 

Capricorn (December 22nd - January 20th)

Capricorns are practical and take in account the facts. They are ambitious, prudent, disciplined, patient, and cautious. These are their good traits. They aim high and do their best to reach their goals and dreams. They are also wise and sensible and people often trust their judgemental skills and turn to them for advice. They have all the patience in the world to achieve something they want because they understand that many things need time. They are also cautious and taking risks are not their thing because it may jeopardise their stability.

With all these good traits, some bad traits may kick in. Capricorns are said to be a bit pessimisticm, stubborn, shy, self- centered, detached, and moody. They tend to look at things negatively and will stick to their opinions. They are good at communicating once you get to know them, but before then, it takes a bit of time for them to open up to you. Capricorns are often very concerned about how things will turn out for them so they can pass off as self-centered at times. They also tend not to get to close to a person after a certain point and can be funny in one moment and the next, angry.

Read more about it at this site!

www.ganeshaspeaks.com/scorpio/scorpio-traits.action 

I hope that you guys enjoyed this tiny secton on the Capricorns. This does not mean that all Scorpios are like this. This is purely made for the fun of it and was not made to hurt or offend anyone. Are you a Scorpio? How much of this do you think is true

Are you not a Virgo or a Scorpio or even a Capricorn? Comment on what horoscope you wish to see next chapter! (Or not. I'll take the liberty of choosing then.) What sign are you?