"Am I jealous?"

YG's Golden Boy

            “Thank god tomorrow’s the weekend,” Iseul groaned. She buried her face in her hands during lunch break, refusing to touch her food. Beside Rhine, Hei nodded rapidly. The week had taken a toll on them, making them exhausted and worn out. Jae ate her food quickly, not looking up from her plate at all.

            “Ew, don’t eat like her,” an unfamiliar voice said.

            Rhine and her members turned their heads to the voices. The four girls giggled at the statement and Joo Hee was one of them. From what the guys were saying the other day, Rhine guessed the four girls were the new trainees. They all were thin and tall with their hair down. One of the girls was really tan with black hair, another one had brown hair with blonde highlights and another one had blonde hair like Joo Hee. They were carrying bento boxes as they sat down at a table in the corner.

            Jae scowled at them before continuing to eat. Iseul threw them a disgusted glance before poking at her food and muttering, “Since when did trainees have the same lunch break?”

            “Will our next monthly evaluation be against them?” Hei mumbled as she ate some food.

            Rhine pulled out her phone under the table and checked for any missed calls from her father. Her heart sank when there was none. It had been a long time since she last talked to her father and she wondered how they were doing. Without Rhine knowing, Hei leaned in and looked at the screen.

            “Waiting for Bobby to call?” Hei teased, low enough so the others won’t hear.

            Shocked, Rhine quickly stuffed her phone back into her pocket and shook her head. “What are you talking about?”

            “Is that a blush?” Hei pointed accusingly at her and Rhine shook her head, spooning the food on her plate.

            “Guys, guess what manager told me!?” Breathless, Eiseu ran to their table.

            The girls turned to look at her. Eiseu looked so happy despite tired from sprinting all the way there and Hei grinned, sensing it was something good. “What did he tell you?”

            “Mr. Yang gave us permission to go on a vacation for the weekend!” She whooped and the girls yelled in joy, earning curious stares from the other trainees. Eiseu plopped down on the seat beside Hei and fanned herself.

            “So that means we only have tonight to start packing,” Iseul said, looking disappointed.

            “I haven’t gotten to the good part yet,” said Eiseu.

            Jae raised her eyebrow, pushing her plate away. “Going on a vacation isn’t the good part?”

            Shaking her head, Eiseu continued, “Manager said that as long as we finish dance practice, we can get the day off!”

            “Seriously!?” Iseul’s eyes widened and Eiseu nodded, grinning widely. “Where should we go for our long awaited vacation?”

            “Hey,” Hei said. “It’ll be Rhine’s first vacation with us!”

            Rhine laughed as the girls yelled in excitement. “We should go to Jeju Island! The hot springs will be good for healing my sore body!” Hei said with a grin.

            “Jeju’s a good idea since Rhine’s never been there and there’s a ton of things to do,” said Jae. “Will you be okay with Jeju, Rhine?”

            “I’m okay with anywhere.”

            “Any objections then?” Iseul asked the girls and they shook their heads. Eiseu stood up and started bouncing on her toes in excitement.

            “Okay, let’s go then!” The girls stood up and started packing their stuff.

            “You guys go ahead, I still have some lessons left,” Rhine said.

            “We’re going shopping, do you need anything?” Iseul asked and Rhine shook her head.

            “I think I have everything… We’re not leaving until tomorrow, right?”

            Iseul looked at the girls then to Rhine. “I was thinking, we might have more time to play if we leave tonight… What do you guys think?”

            “That’s a good idea. Maybe around six?” Jae said. They nodded in agreement.

            “I won’t be long, I’ll be ready in time for us to leave,” Rhine assured them and Iseul nodded. They exchanged goodbyes and they went their separate ways.

            Rhine walked through the building as she looked for Hanbin. The first place she looked was the boy’s practice room, but it was empty. Making her way to the recording studio, she was clueless when the lights were off. She stopped in front of the door and bit her bottom lip.

            “Where could he be?”

            She hadn’t seen Bobby all day either. Rhine decided to go to the main level and headed for the staircase when she heard voices from behind. She turned around to see Yunhyeong, Junhwe and Donghuk. They quieted down when they saw her and they exchanged smiles as they bowed.

            “Have you guys seen Hanbin?”

            “He said that he’s going to the studio, maybe you should check there,” Donghyuk said.

            “Thank you, are you guys going to practice?”

            Yunghyeong shook his head. “We’re going home; Mr. Yang gave us the day off.”

            Rhine nodded and smiled. “Okay, enjoy your day off then.”

            “We will,” Junhwe smiled. “What about you? Why do you want to see Hanbin?”

            Donghyuk nudged Junhwe and shook his head, making Rhine smile. “I just need to talk to him about rapping.”

            “That’s what everyone says,” Junhwe mumbled and Rhine looked quizzically at him. Yunhyeong shook his head and smiled at her. “Have a good day, Rhine.”

            She nodded and thanked them before heading to the studio again. When she reached her destination, she sighed in relief when the lights were on. Rhine gently pushed the door open and Hanbin turned to look at her with a small wave.

            “You have the day off too,” said Rhine. She closed the door after her and went to sit beside him as she looked at what he was working on. He nodded and turned to his task.

            “You mean Mr. Yang gave you a day off too?” Rhine nodded in response. “What are you doing here then? Shouldn’t you be taking the day off?”

            Rhine said, “I was wondering if we can practice right now because I’ll be busy tonight.”

            “Of course.” He stacked the papers and set them aside as he talked. “That reminds me, have your language instructor taught you the basics in rapping?”

            “What basics?”

            He turned to look at her and his heart beat faster when his eyes connected with hers. Her eyes were exceptionally beautiful that day; the blue was lighter making the grey stand out and the other eye was more golden. The way her hair framed her face that day affected the way he felt and caused him to become warm. He shook the thought away.

            “The cuss words, have you learned them?”

            Rhine shook her head and Hanbin sighed. “Was I supposed to?”

            He nodded. “Hip hop uses tons of cuss words so it’s only reasonable if you know them. You don’t have to use them; you just need to know them in order for you to realize when someone’s dissing you… Do you remember the rap battle when that guy was rapping in front of you?” Rhine nodded. “You don’t know what he was rapping about, right?”

Once again, she nodded. “What was he rapping about?”

Hanbin shook his head. “It’s not important.” Of course, it was important but he didn’t want her to know that someone was talking trash about her. “What’s important is that you should know the cuss words.”

“And you’ll be the one teaching me?”

“Yes.”

-

            “Stop! We’re stopping,” Rhine breathed in between laughter, waving her hand at Hanbin who was trying to be serious, but ended up laughing too.

            “We’re not even halfway yet.”

            “You don’t even know what you’re talking about!” Rhine fanned herself as she tried to maintain her composure. Hanbin had been trying to teach her the cuss words for the past hour, but he kept stammering throughout, flustered by the words that Rhine didn’t understand a thing he was saying. He had difficulty saying the words and had a tough time trying to explain to her the meanings. He often messed up the meanings and Rhine kept thinking they meant something extremely disgusting.

            “We’re doing this for your sake, Rhine.”

            “Hanbin, maybe some other time, you’re not making sense.”

            “That’s because…” I’m not making sense whenever I’m with you.

-

            Rhine walked through the empty hallway, holding her bag close to her side and glancing down at her phone. The lesson with Hanbin ended a few minutes ago and Rhine was hot from laughing too much and the many misunderstandings of their practice. She scrolled through her call log with her thumb as her mind wandered back to an incident earlier that day.

            “What does it mean?” Rhine asked, looking at a Hanbin who was turning red.

            “You know…,” he trailed off, refusing to look into her eyes.

            Rhine shook her head. “I don’t know what it means…”

            “F*** you!” His eyes widened. “I didn’t mean it- no! I meant it, w-wait!” His face was turning red and Rhine looked at him uncertainly. ‘He’s not one to cuss, maybe that’s why he’s so flustered,’ Rhine thought. He let out a sigh and rubbed his face. “That’s what it means; I wasn’t directing that to you.”

            A smile made its way to her face when she recalled how shy and embarrassed he had been. After the lesson, Rhine made a mental note to never ask him to teach her how to cuss in Korean again. Throughout the lesson, Rhine was laughing and thinking about how cute he was all flustered that she suddenly felt a little guilty. She found amusement in his misery.

            She looked up when she heard someone silently crying and she slowed down. The door to her left was slightly ajar and it was dim, but Rhine was positive the crying from there. She slipped her phone into her pocket and carefully walked to the door.

            Stop it; it’s none of your business.

            Rhine hesitated when she was about to push the door open. The crying was muffled and she took a deep breath as she ignored the voice in her head and gently opened the door. Sitting on the couch, Bobby had his face in his palms as his shoulders shook violently from the crying. In front of him was a laptop with its screen shining at him.

            At the sight, Rhine’s body froze and her chest constricted. How could someone as happy as him be crying alone? She didn’t understand as she came to her senses and ran to him. Realizing he wasn’t alone, Bobby looked up.

            “Bobby,” Rhine breathed as she sat beside him and he let out a laugh as he wiped his tears, but they kept coming.

            “I-it’s n-nothing.” His voice cracked and tears came faster. The sight broke her heart as she hesitated to touch him. Bobby was breaking inside, but the sight of Rhine made him feel a little better. He didn’t want her to see him cry like that, but he couldn’t stop himself.

            “What’s wrong?” She gently patted the top of his head awkwardly, but her question made him sadder. To her surprise, he wrapped his arms around her and didn’t say anything as he cried harder. Rhine patted his back and said, “Everything’s going to be alright.”

            His tears drenched her shirt as his body shook in Rhine’s embrace. She was stunned and didn’t know what to do aside from murmuring soothing words to him and patting his back. “If you ever need anything, I’ll always be right here.”

            “W-will you p-promise to never l-leave m-me?” Bobby pulled away from her and looked into her eyes. Rhine nodded and smiled as she held out her pinky finger. Bobby looked at her pinky then wrapped his pinky around hers.

            “I promise I’ll never leave Bobby.” He looked at her and beamed.

            “And I promise I’ll never leave Rhine.”

            Rhine reached over to brush his tears away with her thumbs. “Did something happen?”

            “I just miss my mom…” His voice was low and barely audible, sadness prominent.

            “You’re going to debut, you’ll see her soon.” She reassured and he took her hand as she was wiping his tears. At his action, Rhine looked at him, feeling nervous for some reason. He held onto her hand as he looked into her eyes as if he could see her soul, making goose bumps form on her arms.

            “I want you to go with me.”

            Rhine nodded with a smile. “I thought we already made this clear.”

            He let go of her hand and leaned back, smiling like the Bobby she was used to. “I know, I’m just afraid you forgot.”

            “Of course I won’t… Oh, why aren’t you at the dorm? It’s your day off right?”

            “Yeah, the boys and I’m going to Jeju this weekend so I thought I’d finish some of my stuff first.”

            “You’re going to Jeju too!?”

            “What do you mean?”

            “We’re also going to Jeju!”

-

            Rhine was packing her clothes and accessories in their room when Hei walked in. “I heard that the guys are also going to Jeju, is that right?”

            “Yeah, did you guys buy the tickets yet?” Rhine zipped up her duffel bag and walked to the other side of the room to grab some other belongings. She walked to the other bag and started stuffing things in. Hei stood by the bedpost with a secretive smirk before holding out a white envelope.

            “For some reason, you’re on a different plane than the one we’re taking, Rhine.”

            “What!?” Rhine turned around and took the envelope. “Why? What do you mean?”

            Hei masked her excitement as she frowned. “We didn’t know until we already came home and that’s when we saw that you’re taking a different plane to Jeju.”

            “But…” Rhine took out the ticket and examined it. “It takes off nine?”

            “I’m sorry Rhine, we didn’t know!”

            Rhine nodded although she was upset. “When do you guys leave?”

            “In less than an hour… You’ll be fine, right?”

            Rhine was speechless as she looked at the ticket then at Hei. She had never been out of Seoul before and she didn’t know much Korean. How was she supposed to go to Jeju alone? As Rhine was busy looking at the ground, Hei kept on smiling excitedly and trying hard not to laugh. When Rhine looked at Hei, she immediately hid her smile and put on a frown.

            “It’s okay. You’ll pick me up at the airport, right?”

            Hei nodded quickly. As soon as Rhine looked away again, Hei grinned secretly.

-

            Noticing that it was almost eight, Rhine took her bags and headed for the door. She glanced back and checked if everything was turned off. When the dorm was completely dark except for a little lamp, she opened the door.

            “Ah!” Rhine jumped back when Bobby was leaning against the door frame with his bags at his feet. His arms were crossed over his chest with a grin.

            “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to scare you.”

            Rhine nodded and glanced around him, but saw no one else. “Didn’t your flight already left? What are you doing here?” Rhine stepped out and closed the door before locking it. Bobby stepped back and fixed his purple beanie before picking up his bags.

            “Actually, I’m taking the same flight as you.”

            “What? How do you know what flight I’m taking?” She picked up her bags and they started heading towards the exit.

            “Her flight leaves at nine, I want you to accompany her,” Hei said and Bobby looked uncertainly at her.

            “Why isn’t she leaving with you guys?”

            “She had some things she needed to take care of… Please go with her, she doesn’t know her way around here.” Bobby nodded and Hei grinned. “Don’t tell her that it was my idea!”

            “It’s not important… The thing is, we’re going to have fun!”

            After they arrived at the airport and checked in, they boarded the plane. Rhine sat by the window with Bobby to her left and the seat beside him was empty. The plane wasn’t crowded and there were few empty seats here and there. Rhine rubbed her arms as she tried to keep herself warm and Bobby took out his phone along with earphones. He offered one to her.

            “It’ll keep us awake.”

            “What kind of music do you listen to?” Rhine plugged the earphone into her ear and so did Bobby. He shrugged his shoulders before wiggling out of his jacket and handing it to her. Rhine shook her head in refusal. “I’m fine.”

            “You’ll get cold.” He wrapped the jacket around her, ignoring her refusals. Rhine thanked him and he smiled. “I mostly listen to hip hop.”

            Rhine beamed in satisfaction and she sunk back into her seat as the plane took off. “What do you want to do after you’ve debuted?”

            “I want to buy a house for my mom here, that’s what really matters to me.”

            “Hmm, tell me more about your mom.”

            Bobby smiled warmly as he looked straight ahead. “She’s kind and caring. She was always there to support me and tell me to do my best. I remember the many times I wanted to give up, but she was always there telling me to go forward and that’s the reason why I’m still here.” Rhine smiled at the way he talked about his mother, full of love and happiness. He laughed as he told her about some memories and about how great his mom was. It made Rhine envy him to have such a supportive mother, a person who believed in you and always there to comfort you when things weren’t right.

            She looked at him and grinned, nodding her head as he talked. “She owns a restaurant too. I should take you there when we go back to America.”

            “Yeah, you should. I’d love to meet your mom.”

            He turned to look at her expectantly. “What about your mom? How is she like?”

            Rhine shook her head and looked away from him. “There’s not much to talk about.”

            He frowned. “Is she…?”

            “No! No, she’s still alive,” Rhine said. “She’s just… Not that kind of mom.”

            He could hear the hurt in her voice and nodded. “What about your dad?”

            Rhine smiled. “He’s a good dad, just not much to talk about either.”

            “You must be very isolated…”

            Rhine looked at him and smiled a reassuring smile. “It’s not really like that… They’re just really busy with their jobs.”

            “Oh… What are their jobs? If you don’t mind…”

            “My dad’s a doctor and my mom’s a pharmacist so work interferes a lot.”

            “Ohhh,” he nodded his head in understanding. “Hanbin’s sort of like that because you know; he’s really rich and all… The only thing is, his mother is around a lot.”

            Rhine nodded. She had always suspected that Hanbin was rich because no trainee was rich enough to wear Gucci and all the expensive brands, but Hanbin doesn’t seem like most rich teenager. He wasn’t snobby and he was really hard working, definitely opposite of the kids back home.

            “Do you have any siblings?” she said.

            “An older brother.”

            After talking for awhile, Rhine fell asleep on Bobby’s shoulder and not long after, Bobby also dozed off. What they didn’t know was that someone had been watching them the whole time.

-

            “Hei, where are you going?” Hanbin stood up from the bench on the patio of Café at Home.

            Both groups of trainees were staying at Jinhwan’s home for the weekend. All six boys were to sleep in Jinhwan’s room while the girls stayed in the other room. It was the first time the trainees got to interact with one another and the other boys were new to the whole thing, but both genders eventually got along. Jinhwan’s mother had been welcoming despite having eleven teenagers in her home.

            Hanbin had been sitting there looking at the stars and thinking about stuff, more about Rhine than he intended to. As much as he hated to admit it, Hanbin was hoping to see Rhine when she arrived. The others were inside, preparing for dinner.

            “Oh, I was going to pick up Rhine.”

            At the mention of her name, Hanbin walked to Hei. “I’ll go, you’re probably busy.”

            Hei looked at him uncertainly. “It’s okay.”

            “No,” he urged. “I’ll go pick up Rhine.” At his urging, Hei eventually agreed. As she watched Hanbin walk off into the distance, Hei felt a smile tugged at her lips. Something was definitely up with Hanbin.

            It had taken Hanbin about twenty minutes to get to the airport. As he descended the bus, he entered the building and few people were there. The whiteness of the floors blinded him as he took a seat in the waiting area. He glanced around him and there were only four or five people waiting with him. Not knowing what to do, he played games on his phone, but his thoughts kept going back to Rhine.

            As he thought about her, he was smiling like crazy and felt queasy. His cheeks started to burn and immediately shook the thoughts away. What’s wrong with you Hanbin? He internally scolded himself.

            A ding caught his attention as he looked at the sign with the expected plane arrivals. Jeju Air 161: ARRIVED stared at him. Footsteps and voices were heard, announcing the arrival of the passengers and Hanbin looked over at the entrance.

            The second Rhine came into view, Hanbin’s heart raced and a big smile came onto his face. He immediately stood up and started to walk towards her when he noticed she was laughing and her hand playfully hit someone. His heart dropped like a roller coaster as his eyes laid on Bobby. His chest tightened when Bobby wrapped an arm around her shoulder and the blood drained from his face. Hanbin stepped back in a daze, words filling his mind.

            “I’m going to stay awhile, you guys go on without me,” Bobby said.

            “Why?”

            “I have some things I need to take care of. I’ll be fine, you go on.”

            “Are you sure? I can stay with you,” Hanbin suggested and Bobby shook his head.

            “Go and have fun. I’ll see you guys soon.”

            Hanbin clenched his fists to keep himself from losing control of himself. He took a deep breath as he looked at the two. They laughed and talked like they were the only ones in the world and the sight made Hanbin feel nauseous. As he watched Rhine poke Bobby’s chest, some kind of unknown emotion washed over him and he suddenly felt like punching someone. Hanbin shook his head, but the emotion was taking over him, making him… angry.

            This… This can’t be, he thought.

            Rhine smiled and Bobby ruffled her hair and Hanbin wanted to run over there and take her away. He couldn’t stand seeing them together so happy when he was falling apart. Hanbin didn’t understand how he could have thoughts like that when Bobby was his friend, but Hanbin couldn’t stop himself. He didn’t want Rhine to be near Bobby and he got angry every time Bobby made Rhine laugh. As crazy as it sounded, Hanbin didn’t like it when other guys were with her either.

            Am I… Am I jealous?


A/N: Two updates in one day! :D I think it's safe to ask who you think Rhine will pick now... So who do you think she'll pick?

Hanbin's getting a little jealous here, can you start to feel the tension bewteen Bobby and B.I?