Chapter 4

Sleep

 

"Hyung," Myungsoo called from the stairs, "Sungyeol and I were gonna visit Woohyun hyung at the park. Do you want to come with us?"

Sunggyu opened his door and peeked his head out, contemplating, "... How hot is it?"

"Hot enough to see boys sweat," Sungyeol giggled, earning a jealous/ disapproving look from Myungsoo, "Aish, I was just kidding man."

"Not funny."

"Will it be worth it?" Sunggyu drew their attention back to him, not wanting a lover's spat so early in the morning.

"Woohyun will be happy."

"Do I care if he's happy?"

"Yes, 'cause when he's happy you're happy."

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and begrudgingly left his room. He walked to the top of the staircase and stared down menacingly at his baby brother. The boy returned the look with one of his own, just as fierce and challenging. They were quiet for what seemed like minutes until Sungyeol groaned and poked Myungsoo's arm.

"Enough with the showdown, let's go! We can't stand here all day!"

"We'll go as soon as Sunggyu gets ready."

"Again, what makes you think I'll go?"

"Hyung!" Sungyeol whined cutely and gave Sunggyu probably one of the worst case of puppy dog eyes he had ever seen. The bad part, it was effective.

"Fine!" he huffed and spun around, going back to his room so he could change into something more comfortable. Sungyeol cheered and hugged Myungsoo tightly as the other boy smiled victoriously.

Sunggyu swore he heard the boy congratulate his lover for "Doing a good job" but ignored it and changed into shorts and a T-shirt. His eyes landed on the scarf he found a few days before and stared a little longer then he should have. A knock drew him out of his trance and Myungsoo was standing in the door way.

"Quit wasting time," he complained, "We should go before it gets too hot."

Sunggyu eyed him suspiciously, "You've got something planned, don't you?"

"Yeol and I spent a majority of the afternoon loading up the car with water balloons filled with cold water. They're in some coolers we borrowed from his mom and Mrs. Nam, but we don't want it getting warm. "

"You planned an ambush?"

"Think of it as a cool down technique for the soccer players."

"Nah," Sunggyu smiled, "Ambush sounds cooler, and makes me think more highly of you."

"Really?"

"Only a little."

Myungsoo laughed and shoved Sunggyu's shoulder playfully, "Whatever old man. Sungyeol and I got dibs on the team. Woohyun's all yours."

 

--

 

Ambush was an understatement.

It seemed like the coach was in on this too; when Sunggyu pulled up to the parking lot, the old man was there with several containers of him own, all containing ice cold water balloons. He welcomed Sunggyu back with a smile and gave him a short recap of how his years teaching were ("Terrible. It got worse when you left. Seems to every year.").

After their short reunion, he and a few other staff members helped the three boys carry the containers to the bleachers. Woohyun was helping run drills with the high school students, completely unaware of what they were doing. He had them practice their dribbling technique and shooting before declaring a match of shirts vs. skins.

The coach took that time to strike. Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Sunggyu (along with other volunteers from staff and friends of the players) waited behind the bleachers, balloons in hand, while the coach replaced the soccer ball in the middle of the field with a very large, extremely realistic looking soccer ball-water balloon. Woohyun stood in the center, shirt gone and listing off the rules to a good clean fight.

It was hard for Sunggyu not to stare, especially since it looked like he was flaunting himself on purpose. Woohyun had not only changed mentally, but physically had the body of a modern Adonis. What the hell happed to this kid? It isn't fair.

"Hyung, they're starting the kick off!" Myungsoo whispered enthusiastically, shaking Sunggyu's arm as he watched the scene unfold.

"Alright just so we're clear, any player that makes any harmful foul buys the rest of the team dinner. Yeah?" A silent nod of agreement went around and Woohyun smiled. Sunggyu took a harp breath as he raised his foot, sweat glistening off his tanned skin and that is so unsanitary, how can they play like that?

"Let's do this!" As soon as his foot made contact with the ball, it burst into a wave of airborne water, hitting the closest players and soaking a majority of Woohyun's foot.

Sungyeol let out a psychotic scream and charged towards the field, pelting the boys with an armful of balloons. Myungsoo joined in and soon all of the hidden deviants were attacking the players.

Sunggyu stayed behind and waited for a moment to catch Woohyun off guard. Sungyeol managed to nail him a few times on his back. The balloons that didn't pop upon impact were picked up off the ground by the bronzed male and thrown back.

Sunggyu saw him laughing whole heartedly, his left side completely vulnerable and knew this was his chance. He quickly sprinted over, dodging students like hurdles (he was a track star back in his day. Not the best, but could hold his own in a competition).

Screw the balloons, Sunggyu had grabbed one of the emptied coolers before he left and dumped the left over water inside on Woohyun. Most of the players stopped in their tracks and gaped at the mess, leaving them open for more attacks.

Woohyun slowly turned around and stared completely shocked at the older male. Sunggyu smirked and dropped the cooler, "Oops."

"Kim Sunggyu..."

"Yeeesss?" He drew the word out, taking cautious steps back with his smile never faltering.

A mischievous grin grew on the boy's face as he bent down and picked up two water balloons. His eyes flickered up with an unreadable emotion, "Run."

He didn't need to be told twice. Sunggyu took off before Woohyun could even finish the word and tried to find refuge, but nowhere was safe. Nowhere.

"Myungsoo-yah!" Sunggyu yelled as he passed his brother, trying to use him as a shield. One of Woohyun's water balloons landed on the poor boy's forehead and soaked his face. Sunggyu didn't wait for his reaction and ran again, this time looking for Sungyeol.

He wasn't so lucky that time though. The other balloon Woohyun had made contact with Sunggyu's left shoulder and drenched his chest. The impact was slightly painful, as the water seeped into his bandages and stung his still healing stitches.

In that brief moment of contact, Sunggyu wobbled slightly and his pace slowed. Woohyun, being a conditioned soccer player, managed to catch him in no time and enveloped the boy in a wet and strangely warm hug.

"You think that's all you're gonna get from me?" he panted into his ear, completely out of breath. Sunggyu shivered and tried to pry his arms off, but to no avail. They were wrapped tightly around his shoulders and wouldn't budge even when he scratched him.

"It cooled you down, didn't it? You should be thanking me."

"You've started a war you won't win."

"Watch me-"

He was cut off when a sudden rush of water poured over the two like a waterfall. Sunggyu gasped at how ing cold it was and stood there shivering in his younger friend's arms. They turned around and saw Myungsoo and Sungyeol smiling evilly. Myungsoo had emptied a cooler on them and his boyfriend helped a completely full one with ice still floating in it.

"O-oh ," Sunggyu shivered. Woohyun unwrapped himself from Sunggyu and grabbed his arm, pulling him into a run as Sungyeol's high cackle followed after them.

At first the chase was just between the four boys, but then the coach promised his team that whoever got that brat and his "little girlfriend" would get to start in the finals. This sent the players into a frenzy. Sunggyu didn't even know the kids but they were hell bent on soaking the duo. He blamed Woohyun, but the male was currently keeping his weak body running in an effort to avoid them so he decided against saying anything to jeopardize this partnership.

"I-I can't," Sunggyu panted, seeing the players nearing them, "Too... tired."

"The locker rooms are up ahead hyung! They can't get it wet, all their stuff is inside. Hang on just a little bit longer!" Woohyun had less difficulty speaking than Sunggyu, but he was beginning to get worn down. They eventually made it into the metal and cement safe haven, slamming the door shut just as the other caught up.

Woohyun and Sunggyu shared a triumphant grin and high fived each other when they heard curses outside.

"Didn't know you ran hyung," Woohyun commented offhandedly, "I didn't take you for the athletic type."

"I'm not anymore, as made painfully obvious five minutes ago," Sunggyu huffed stretching his arms and his back as he looked around, "This didn't change much."

"What did you expect? Locker's with fingerprint scanners?"

"Shut up. In my day we had high expectations for the future. I'm just glad medicine was able to advance as well as it did. "

"Not very well though, we still don't have a cure for cancer."

"It'll come soon," Sunggyu took a seat on the bench and patted the space next to him. Woohyun complied and ended up falling over so his head was resting on Sunggyu's lap, "What are you doing you twerp?"

"Resting? I was playing soccer for a few hours before you showed up."

"So does that give you the right to use my lap as a pillow?"

"Well your thighs are squishy like my pillow- Ow!" Sunggyu pinched his arm harshly and tried to shove him away, but the boy repeated his tactic from their stay in his apartment and hugged his waist tightly.

"Quit hugging me!"

"No!" he laughed, "You know I was never able to actually hug you completely when I was small?"

"Why? Because your arms were too short?"

"Or your hamster belly was too big."

Sunggyu just stared blankly at him. Then, he grabbed his arms and held him down. Woohyun was very confused, but before he could ask Sunggyu turned to the door and yelled, "GET HIM!"

The door opened and Woohyun let out an unmanly scream as Sungyeol, Myungsoo, and the other soccer players came in. Sunggyu and Myungsoo had planned this earlier. Sunggyu would run somewhere with Woohyun and sacrifice himself to get the other male. The water splashed over both of them, but Woohyun got the worse end of it.

Of course seeing him dripping wet didn't help the thoughts in his head. He was starting to think Myungsoo had ulterior motives behind this plan.

 

--

 

Sunggyu was looking for a shirt when he stumbled across it.

An unopened pack of Dunhill cigarettes was tucked deep into the shelf of his closet. The plastic armor was slightly crinkled and dust rested over the top half, but the box remained in pristine condition. The wave of nostalgia that came over him was strong enough to make his stomach churn and force the male to sit down.

He remembered when he bought them. It was four days before he was supposed to be put under. His mentality back then was unstable, but he was very good at hiding it. He had promised his mother that evening that he was just heading off to get something to eat from the general mart. He came back with a bottle of soju under his jacket and cancer tucked into his pocket.

He finished the bottle in no time. His emotions were running rampant in his brain, driving him crazy and causing him to do things he otherwise wouldn't normally do. That's when he took out the box.

Buzzed, drunk, whatever he was, his vision was blurry and he stared unsteadily at the red packaging. He had never actually smoked before. It was bad for his throat, as he heard so many times before, but now that didn't really matter.

This 'Cold Sleep' program was generally new, he would be one of 9 to start the trial and there was no complete guarantee that they would be able to wake him up when the time came. Still, it was a risk he wanted to take, he was dead either way so it shouldn't matter, right?

Sunggyu almost ripped the packaging off, he had a lighter in his desk and the window was far enough from his parents room to not draw suspicion with the smell. He was close... but then someone knocked on his door.

He quickly threw the box, which happened to land somewhere in the closet, and allowed the intruder to enter.

"Sunggyu, you have a visitor," his mother laughed lightly, alarming the college student.

That's never good, he thought as the door opened and Woohyun, what are you doing here?

"H-Hi Hyung," the boy was trembling, smiling nervously as he stepped inside his room in his dinosaur printed pajamas and messy bed head. Sunggyu wondered why he was here when it was clearly past his bed time. Then he saw the tears on his cheeks and hoped his face wasn't as red as it was earlier.

"Woohyun-ah. What are you doing out of bed?" Sunggyu's words slurred slightly, but it was clear enough to be understood.

Woohyun sniffed and shrugged, "I-I got bored. Wanted to go on an adventure."

"'An adventure' huh?" he spotted Mrs. Nam standing with his mother. They spoke in hushed whispers as the door was closed and the two were left alone, "Adventure to where?"

"To the Kim kingdom. To meet Prince Gyu before he has to go off on his quest."

Sunggyu laughed, remembering the story they made up earlier that morning, "Last time I checked, I was a Knight."

Woohyun shook his head rapidly and climbed onto the open space beside's Sunggyu. He yawned tiredly and Sunggyu could see how red his eyes were, "I'm the loyal knight that accompanies you... usually."

"Right, and you can't this time."

"Doesn't mean I won't still help you."

"Oh yeah?" Sunggyu felt himself sobering up immensely and leaned against the headboard. Woohyun crawled closer so he could snuggle up under the covers next to him, "I don't remember that in the story. Last I checked you were supposed to protect Prince Myungsoo as the next heir to the throne."

"I'll still do that," The child quickly reassured him, "I'll just try to find other ways to bring you back sooner. Witches, warlocks, swamp monsters-"

"How will swamp monsters help me?"

"They'll help me grow stronger."

"Ah, training," Sunggyu nodded thoughtfully, feeling his eyes start to droop, "Why are you really here Woohyun-ah?"

"I don't want you to go."

"We discussed this-"

"But I know you have to," Woohyun continued, staring up at Sunggyu with his equally tired eyes, "So you can get healthy. So we can play again. So I won't have to guard an empty castle."

"Since when did you get so good with words?"

"Mom gave me new chapter books. I'm going to read all of them as soon as I can so I can read the ones on your shelf," Sunggyu glanced over and saw his astronomy books lined up in perfect order.

"Sorry kiddo, that won't be for a while."

Woohyun smiled, "We'll see hyung."

"Quit being cheeky. You should go to bed Woohyun-ah. It's late and you have school tomorrow," Sunggyu decided he should probably turn in as well. He looked around his bed side table for his vitamins, and frowned when he couldn't find them. Where the hell did I...?

"On the dresser," The brunet giggled, "Honestly hyung, what would you be without me? Chopsticks without a spoon, a needle without thread, a kite without string-ow!"

Sunggyu ruffled the kid's hair roughly and stood up to retrieve the bottle. He chuckled at the kid's words and downed the white pills raw, ignoring the disgusted sounds received from the latter. Sunggyu didn't bother to change out of his clothes, he was still a little drunk from earlier and collapsed on top of the covers in the empty space besides Woohyun.

The boy giggled as he bounced slightly and poked Sunggyu's cheek, "Hyung, the light."

Sunggyu's arm flopped around lazily, earning more spills of laughter from the child until he hit the switch and the only thing illuminating the room were the glowing stars stuck to his ceiling from his childhood.

The sheets rustled against each other and Sunggyu's felt another tap on his cheek, "Go to bed Woohyun-ah."

"Hyung..."

"What?"

"Good night."

Sunggyu smiled, "Night twerp."

Apparently the next morning  Mrs. Nam got a picture of the two sleeping together and had it hidden somewhere in her photo album. Sunggyu remembered that night clearly, not just because it was the last night he saw Woohyun as a child, but because the next morning he realized what he almost did and felt sick to his stomach.

He would have picked up the nasty habit and completely killed his chances of succeeding through 'Cold Sleep'. Any source of outside drugs or nicotine could have a negative effect on his already weakened immune system, and letting it brew inside him for eighteen years would have killed him.

He literally owed his life to Woohyun for preventing such a possibility from occurring. The thought even now made him nauseous and he threw the cigarettes away. Unfortunately, his brother didn't know the meaning of common courtesy and failed to knock when he entered; the garbage can sat beside the door frame and Myungsoo leaned down to pick it up.

"What's this?" he asked with a frown.

"A mistake. Leave it in there," Sunggyu fell back on his bed, giving up his search for the shirt.

"I didn't take you to be a smoker."

"That's because I'm not. What do you want?"

"Mom thought you would have fallen asleep and forgotten your plans with Woohyun. She wanted me to make sure you were getting ready, but... are you alright? You look a little pale."

"Fine. I was just looking for a shirt when you came in like a creep."

Myungsoo scanned the room, "Is it the one hanging off the book shelf?"

"Is it black?"

"Yes."

"Possibly."

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and walked forward. He grabbed the cloth off and threw it at Sunggyu's face, laughing when it landed directly over it.

Sunggyu huffed a sigh and sat up. He noticed Myungsoo looking through his books as he switched shirts and chuckled, "Like what you see?"

"Yeah. I've read some of these before."

"I noticed."

"How?"

Sunggyu pointed to the book resting on his bedside table. He never did put it away, too lazy to, "They're out of order. I'm a little OC when it comes to my books and last I checked I put 'Cosmos' before 'How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming'."

"I didn't think order had any special meaning. Guess it does," Myungsoo took a step back and leaned against the dresser, "Why stars?"

"Why so curious?"

"Because a majority of this shelf is about them."

Sunggyu shrugged and got off of his bed. He walked to the mirror and tried fixing his hair a little. Glancing at the clock, he realized he only had a few minutes before he should head over to Woohyun's.

"I've just been curious about them. First my obsession began with religion," he gestured to the different books about a variety of religious beliefs on the bottom shelf, "I thought for some reason that the lights in the sky were connected to them. Then I entered middle school and realized it was all scientific."

"Religion? Huh..."

"I'm not the religious type though, so if you ask me what I believe in I won't give you a straight answer."

"What do you believe in?"

"Scientology," Sunggyu laughed at his own joke, "If only you were smart enough to get that."

"Please hyung, who doesn't know about Scientology?" Myungsoo chuckled and picked up a book, "I'm not too keen on religion either. Mom tried to take me to church once, didn't work out."

"I wouldn't expect a 6 year old to sit through an hour of mass silently."

"How'd you know I was six?"

"'Cause that's the same time she tried to take me. I was more understanding though and went for a few years before I asked her what the point was," Sunggyu slipped into his jacket and fixed his hair one more time before looking at Myungsoo. The boy was still flipping through The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos to notice the look he was giving him, "Myungsoo-yah."

"Yeah?"

"Go."

"Right," he closed the book and tucked it under his arm, "I'll read this later, I wouldn't want to distract you from your date with Woohyun."

"You're seriously asking for it, you brat," he sighed, "Not a date."

"It's a date."

"Shut the up."

 

--

 

Sunggyu didn't leave for another five minutes. Myungsoo was being annoying and he owed to himself as a big brother to bully him a little before he left. The younger boy was let off with a bruise the size of his knuckles on his triceps, he should consider that lucky.

Now he was at Woohyun's door. The only car in the driveway was Woohyun's; Sunggyu assumed the boy's parents were out on some date night or something because when he knocked he was greeted by his smiling face.

"Hyung!" Woohyun grabbed his arm and pulled him inside, "Just in time! Go set the table, the foods pretty much done."

"We're eating in the dining room?"

"Of course not," Woohyun gestured towards the living room as they passed. Sunggyu saw a fort of pillows, two controllers, and the Playstation start screen blinking at him, "We'll watch a movie while we eat and play games after. There's this new one that came out recently and it's supposed to be really scary. I'd like to see how well you'll handle it."

"You know I don't get scared easily, Hyun."

"It's been a while, maybe some things have changes," Woohyun shoved several dishes into his arm and shooed him off. Sunggyu ungracefully dumped them on the coffee table and drooled at the pan of Dak Galbi  Woohyun carried over, "There's kimchi and rice on the counter. Go grab that."

"Dude that smells amazing."

"Really?" Woohyun beamed, his inner child coming out at the praise and causing Sunggyu to laugh, "What?"

"You haven't changed that much kid," Sunggyu smirked and did as he was told. They eventually settled down on the couch, after much teasing and slight wrestling with each other over who got the first bite of course. Sunggyu won though, but he felt that Woohyun would have let him anyway.

The boy was watching him intently as he picked up a piece of chicken and smelt it. The spices tickled his nose and left a satisfying sting. He didn't know the last time he was so excited for food, but Sunggyu shoved the piece into his mouth when his stomach growled in anger at the prolonging.

"," he moaned, "It's delicious."

"R-really?"

Sunggyu nodded enthusiastically, swallowing before giving him a genuine smile, "When did you get so good Woohyun-ah? God damn it."

Woohyun laughed, his eyes disappearing as he grabbed his chopsticks and delved in, "I took classes hyung. I better be good if I want to get my money's worth."

"You should teach me before I return to school so I don't end up dead in my apartment from food poisoning or starvation."

"There's no need. I'll just cook for you when you're hungry, but you'll have to do dishes. Win-win situation."

Sunggyu scoffed, "You'll just make up an excuse to avoid my place."

"It'll be hard to when I live there," He spoke nonchalantly, but the comment caught Sunggyu off guard. He froze, chopstick half way to his mouth when he turned to look at Woohyun.

"What do you mean?"

Woohyun shrugged, "Hoya and his girlfriend are getting pretty serious. They're going to move in together at the beginning of the next semester. I need a roommate, and since you're returning to Seoul you should just room with me."

"You're serious?"

Woohyun looked up, his voice void of any emotion, "Do I look like I'm joking?"

Sunggyu blinked, "Is that what you two were discussing when I was making Kimchijeon?"

"Maybe," he leaned over and bit the food still clutched in Sunggyu's metal utensils. The elder yelped and shoved the boy away, glaring at him while he cackled with his mouth full.

"You're disgusting. My food," Sunggyu whined and flopped over, head landing on Woohyun's shoulder. The younger laughed again and picked up another piece of chicken. He held it up to Sunggyu's lips, who complied (because hey, free food) and ate it grumpily, "Okay now we're even."

"Good. Now  get off me so I can eat properly."

"No, this particular spot is very comfy. I think I'll just stay here and let you continue to feed me."

"Then be prepared to starve."

"You promised I wouldn't."

Woohyun cursed playfully and shoved Sunggyu up to his original position. They continued to eat like that, shooting playful quips at each other while stealing food off their plates. They actually didn't even bother with the TV and just spent most of the evening talking, learning new things about each other. Some were impressive, others...

"Wait, so your broken arm wasn't from saving a cat?" Woohyun frowned, having revisited their past in a slightly buzzed mood of reminiscence.

"The intent was to save the cat, but I fell off my bike and injured it before I could even do anything. And then the cat had the audacity to jump out of the tree and land perfectly on the ground!" he reached for the beer Woohyun had offered him and downed half of it, grimacing at the bitter taste.

"Wow, and here I thought you were some awesome cat savior."

"That was the point."

"You wanted me to think you were cool?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

Sunggyu looked at him, "Do you know how brutal kids can be? They have no filter and only know when to lie when it comes to getting out of trouble. If I had told you what really happened you would have never taken me seriously."

"Why would you care what I think?"

"Because at the time I just did," Sunggyu shrugged, slouching back into the couch. He had a small smile on his face and stared blankly at the TV. If he looked close enough he could see himself and Woohyun sitting together, where he realized they had moved considerably closer since they finished eating.

"Hyung," Woohyun grabbed his arm and shook it gently, "What are you looking at? The TV isn't on."

"I'm just thinking Woohyun-ah. Aish, you know people have brains so they can think every once and a while."

Woohyun leaned closer, "But what are you thinking about, hyung?"

"Stuff," he rolled his head to the side, suppressing the urge to flinch when he saw how close Woohyun was, "Why do you care?"

"I'm just curious," they were silent again, letting the alcohol flow through their system and relax their body. Woohyun's hand was still holding Sunggyu's, only now they were playing with his fingers, "Gyu... What did you think about when you were asleep?"

"Nothi-" Sunggyu cut himself off, remembering  the weird voices he heard in his sleep a couple of nights before, "I heard people. Bits and pieces of conversations, or at least I think I did."

"You could hear us?"

"If it was you guy's talking," Sunggyu shrugged, "That or I'm a psychic having visions."

Woohyun let out a hearty laughter and leaned closer, a small smile gracing his lips, "You're cheesy hyung."

"Please, that wasn't cheese. You should know you greasy little . I feel bad for your girlfriend, she must have gotten the worst end of it."

His smile fell, "Must have."

Sunggyu noticed his strange reaction and shifted his position so he was facing Woohyun properly. The boy watched him with careful eyes but said nothing, his hand remaining frozen with Sunggyu's, "So what happened with this girl? Hyomin?"

"She is a sweet girl, older than me but very childish in a sense," he began reluctantly, "We met after a soccer match. She was there to watch her brother, who happened to be on my team. We started talking then, and then we went out."

"Wow. Anticlimactic."

"What? You want me to tell you how I asked her? It wasn't very romantic, I just blurted it out."

Sunggyu raised his hands up in defeat, detaching his fingers from Woohyun's in the process, "Fine, fine. Go on?"

"We dated for a few years and, like you know, she helped me  figure out my future. We were best friends essentially..."

"So what happened?"

"We broke up hyung, that's what happened," Woohyun sighed, his head resting against the back of the couch with his eyes closed.

Sunggyu was clearly not satisfied with that answer and poked him harshly, "Yah, something happened. Tell me what!"

"You're way to interested in my love life," he cracked an eye open and smirked, "Why is that, hyung?"

"Because you're giving me vague- answers. Just tell me what the happened."

"It's simple. We fell out of love."

"How is that-"

"She was, is, someone I consider a very close friend. She was there for me when I needed it and I was there for her. However, we never got past that best friend stage. I realized later she was replacing someone, that these feelings were platonic and she noticed that as well," Woohyun turned serious suddenly, catching the older male off guard, "She confronted me about it, we talked, and we agreed that we weren't going to be anything more than friends. It was a clean break up and we're still pretty close today."

Sunggyu blinked, his hazy mind slowly processing the information,"... You were using her?"

"Not in that way," his tone was softer and his expression matched, "If you're thinking I was dating her for her body, you've got it mixed up."

"But you said she was a replacement. For who?"

Woohyun shrugged, "My best friend was in the hospital at the time..."

Sunggyu felt his neck heat up. He had said best friend to describe him, but if he was 'using' Hyomin  to replace him, then he wouldn't have dated her. Not unless he felt something with her. This was confusing, Woohyun was confusing. It was either that or Sunggyu was over thinking things, which he tended to do quite often and a lot recently.

Woohyun must have seen the cogs in his head turning, because the next thing Sunggyu knew the boy was way too close.

"W-what does this have to do with me?" he heard himself asking, hesitant about moving back but somehow unable to.

Woohyun's lips quirked up in a slight smirk, "I've come to realize something in your absence, hyung."

"Woohyun-"

"I use to admire you a lot. You were someone I looked up to. I thought I wanted to be you for sometime in elementary, but..." his arm came up and rested on the back of the couch, behind Sunggyu. The elder could feel how his fingers brushed the back of his head lightly, almost unintentionally, "When I was in high school, I kind of realized something."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he chuckled, eyes dropping to look at something below Sunggyu's eyes. He had the urge to his dry lips, but refrained from doing so, "I don't want to be like you."

"Gee, thanks-"

"I want to be with you."

. At this point, Woohyun's fingers were tangled in his caramel colored locks and he was way too close for normal friends. In an effort to return the situation back to normal, he smiled and pushed Woohyun lightly, "Aish Hyun, I think you drank a little too much. I'm right here dummy, we can be together now-"

"It's not the alcohol hyung," Woohyun caught Sunggyu's hand, "I'm not a light weight. I'm 22 years old and, for Christ's sake, you know exactly what I'm implying here."

"No, I don't think I do," The situation turned serious again, and when Sunggyu was buzzed he tended to be a little hot headed, "What I do know is that we've had a little too much to drink and you're getting way too comfortable with me."

"You won't even acknowledge it?" Woohyun released him as Sunggyu tried to put distance between them, "You suspected it anyway! At my apartment, in town, the soccer field, you can't ignore-"

"I'm not ignoring something that isn't there!" he snapped, getting to his feet, "I knew I should have eased my way back into your life. Showing up so suddenly... you've just become confused. You don't know what you're thinking-"

"Stop! Stop that right now!" Now Woohyun was angry and got up, approaching Sunggyu swiftly and pushing him against the wall, "That's unfair. You're still treating me like a child who doesn't know anything."

"You're sure as hell acting like one-"

"You don't get to talk right now!" he yelled, startling him into silence, "I've had plenty of time to think about his. I've had years. Your mind is still stuck in the past, that I can accept. This... this is new, this is different and this certainly isn't what you expected from your four year old neighbor."

"Certainly."

Woohyun bit back a response and breathed deeply, staring intently into the elder's eyes. However, the look grew soft and he relaxed, lifting a hand up to his face, "Kim Sunggyu. What is Kim Sunggyu without me? A kite without a string, a spoon without chopsticks..."

"Needle without thread," Sunggyu finished reluctantly, eyes widening when he realized what he said. Woohyun's were wide too.

"Hyung-"

Sunggyu shoved him away and made a b-line for the door. He got as far as the entrance and was grabbing his shoes when Woohyun grabbed his arm, "Nam Woohyun, release-"

"I like you," He stated firmly, unwavering, "I like you more than a best friend should, I like you the way I should have liked Hyomin. I like you, and I can't change that."

"Yes you can, because you don't like me the way you think you do."

Woohyun smiled sadly, "Really?"

Before Sunggyu could respond,  Woohyun stepped closer and pulled Sunggyu towards him. His hand once again found purchase in the elder's hair and the next thing Sunggyu knew he was being kissed. He froze, eyes wide and hands trapped between their chests. Woohyun was relentless and continued to attack his lips. Sunggyu could feel the desperation behind it and fought every nerve of him that wanted to give in.

He managed to free his arms and push him back, staring dumbfounded and flushed at the younger male. Woohyun stared back with his lips slightly swollen and a look of determination in his eyes.

"W-what-"

"Would I have done that if I didn't like you?" he asked instead, "You need to think, I understand. But starting tonight, you cannot ignore my feelings. I won't let you. After today... you can't see me as a 'friend'."

"Y-you're crazy."

"I'm not alone in this. You've always held some sort of affection for me."

"Yeah a brotherly one!" Sunggyu yelled, covering his red face partially.

"No", he chuckled, "It is far from 'brotherly'. I've felt your fleeting touches and I've seen the way your eyes linger."

"You're imagining things-"

"You don't want me now, not yet. But you will soon, hyung. You will want me the way I want you," Sunggyu felt his stomach churn at the words and knew that he had to get out of there, immediately.

He grabbed his converse and slammed the door shut behind him. The older male sprinted across the front yard and nearly broke his door trying to get back into the house. The house shook with how hard the wood made impact with the wall, but Sunggyu couldn't care less.

His mind was racing, his face was hot and he had never felt more flustered and confused in his entire life. What was Woohyun trying to do to him? Make him crazy?!

He was so lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice Sungyeol and Myungsoo on the couch until his brother called to him, "Oh god, hyung? Are you alright?"

Sunggyu's head snapped up and in the next moment all he saw was red, "You knew, huh? You knew, you mother er."

Myungsoo looked slightly startled and stood up slowly, signaling Sungyeol to stay as he approached his older brother cautiously, "Hyung, what are you-"

"You knew everything!" he yelled, pushing Myungsoo back with enough force to send him to the ground. He straddled him in the next minute and grabbed him roughly by the collar, shaking him as he spoke, "You've been acting suspicious as hell these past few days, and was it for this!? Was it because of Woohyun, you ing bastard?!"

"Myung!" Sungyeol shot up from the couch and tried to pry Sunggyu off him, but the elder was stronger and shoved the gangly boy back, "Hyung, get off him!"

"You knew! ing admit it you -"

"I did!" Myungsoo yelled back, silencing Sunggyu, "I knew. But what did he do to you hyung? What happened?"

"W-what did he do? A-are you ing serious y-you motherer?" Sunggyu didn't know he was shaking until Myungsoo gently pried his unstable finger's off his collar and supported himself up on his elbows. Sungyeol tried to approach them again, but his lover was quick to stop him with a slight wave of hand.

Sunggyu's vision started to blur and his voice shook, "H-he ruined everything. He's confused and drunk and lonely and got he doesn't know when to shut up."

"He told you."

"Told me what? That he likes me? That he has no intention of being friends after he kissed me? Yeah, he made it pretty damn clear... and you knew," Sunggyu shoved him back and stood up. He ran a trembling hand through his hair and glanced at Sungyeol, who looked absolutely terrified at the older male, "Sorry Yeol."

Sungyeol didn't reply, and Sunggyu didn't expect him to. He his heel and dragged himself up the stairs, ignoring Myungsoo's cries of his name and slammed the door shut behind him. He made sure to lock it before throwing his shoes in the corner and letting out a yell of frustration.

He made a move to take off his coat, only realizing he had left it at Woohyun's and cursed loudly instead.

Sunggyu sat back on his bed, trying hard to calm his shaking limbs as he tapped his foot relentlessly and looked around the room for something, anything to distract him.

His eyes fell on a familiar grey scarf folded neatly on his table and his blood ran cold. He walked over and yanked it off, attempting to throw it away. However, his arm only hovered over the can. He couldn't do it, he couldn't just dump it like it was trash. Why?

His adrenaline was slowly leaving his body, he legs grew weak and he fell to his knees, staring hard at the scarf. His watering eyes finally gave in and he felt hot tears stain his face.

"Woohyun..." he spoke barely above a whisper and buried his face in the soft material, "You ing idiot. What have you done to us?"

 


So if any of you have read my previous fics, you should know i like a good fight between lovers. It makes the reunion so much sweeter imo. It's late, but i took a nap earlier to i'm trying to make myself sleepy. Its working. Anyway i hope you enjoy the update! It means a lot to me that you guys enjoy this work. I started typing this for myself because i've always, always always wanted to type this but its cool that you enjoy it too. Let me know what you think in the comments! If you want at least :P

Recomendations: Recently i've only been reading Woogyu because, well idek i love em. Here are some good ones i found. you've probably heard of these but whatever

Vlog #26 
This Fic is seriously the cutest thing ever. Myunyeol centric written as a bunch of little oneshots/drabbles. no really it's ing cute as hell. youtubers!au, something i've never read before and hope to continue reading

Killer Instinct
GUYS this is simply AMAZING. I have never read anything as detailed and well written as his. Killers!au, very distturbing and not for the faint of heart bu the character portrayal is genius and utterly fantastic. The insanity and detail put into this, it's marvelous. Absolutely fantastic. If you get scared though, then go read Vlog #26 to cheer up.

tumblr_n5irtqMok11qasajho1_500.gif

GUYYYYSSSSS