018

The Candor Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Stop! Stop! Please stop!" Key cried, hugging his knees and muffling his hearing. He's rolled up on the floor rocking back and forth in fear. Worried, Amber immediately stopped playing and crouched in front of him, pulling his hands away from his ears. 

"Key! Key! Look at me! What's wrong?" Amber asked him frantically and worriedly, grasping tightly onto his two wrists. He was shivering and tears were starting to form from his eyes. 

He never thought that he'll ever hear that song again. He looked like a little kid acting like this. The stubbornness from his actions and the intensity that he's shaking at told Amber that he needs to escape to somewhere. 

Everyone else peered over Amber's shoulder at a safe distance, afraid that he might suddenly exploded. Heaving a sigh, she helped Key up.

"C'mon Key. Let's go." she whispered. He nodded and got up with Amber.

"Ms. Mi, may we be excused?" she asked, turning to face her. Ms. Mi gave them permission and Amber supported Key out of the school and into the garden. 

Amber carefully sat Key down on a stone bench, the same one they were sitting at when Amber need Key’s comfort from the whole Taemin issue.

“Key. What happened?” Amber asked, crouching down in front of him. 

“That song you just played-” he started. But he didn’t know how to tell her.

“What about it?” she asked softly. Key looked at her, her expression full of concern. “Key, I’m here for you. You can tell me anything.” He took in a deep breath.

“That song hallelujah, it scares me to listen to it again.” he admits.

“What happened?” Amber asked softly.

“That was the last song that my family and I played together before they died.” he says sadly, trying hard to hold his tears back. Amber’s eyes widened but her expression didn’t change.

“You witnessed it?” she figured. He nodded as tears trickled down his face to think about that horrid memory again. 

“Amber, you don’t have to-” 

“No. Key, what happened? What did you witness?” 

“Amber, really I-”

“Key, keeping it inside you like that isn’t making anything better. You’ll just have something gritted in your heart for as long as you hide it from the rest of the world. Key, I want to help you but I won’t be able to if you don’t tell me.” she says. Key swallowed hard. He felt the need to tell her but bringing up the memory made it painful for him to retell. 

“We were happily singing Hallelujah together before this all happened.” he decided to start, “My parents died when I was 7. The kitchen set on fire and my sister carried me out. I let her run back in that fire to save our parents, but she died in there along with them. I killed my sister Amber. I let her run to her death.” he sobbed. 

He let his elbows dig into his knees while he buried his face in his hands. Amber elevated herself a little so that she was tall enough to hug him. Giving him that shoulder to cry on the same way he lent his to her when she needed one. She finally understood why he’s so uptight when it came to his sister and it didn’t make it any better that she remind him so much of her. She rubbed his back and comforted him as much as possible. 

“It’s over now. It’s all over.” she whispered. Key nodded and slowly parted from her, feeling relieved. That’s when he stopped to look. 

They parted far enough so that their eyes met yet they can feel each other’s breaths slowly coming to a stop. 

He lost himself in her eyes.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter