Attracted

Working with a Horse

.:Chapter 2: Attracted:.

Hoseok knew he blew it the moment his lips crashed into the girl’s mouth. He didn’t know it would happen so quickly. Once she turned around, he felt himself get distracted by her beauty. His legs must have felt it too since it tangled itself around each other and made him fall face first into the girl.

He was usually silly on purpose but this time it was an accident.

The kiss was too abrupt and awkward to be pleasant but he did taste cherry on her lips. He was immediately shoved back when he didn’t pull away from the kiss. As expected.

He covered his mouth with his own hand and blushed. This definitely wasn’t a hopeful situation.

He remembered apologizing to her like crazy but she wouldn’t hear it.

When he went back to his apartment, he wanted to cry a bit but that wasn’t manly so he didn’t.

He lived with his younger brother Jungkook who was busy finishing his last year of high school.

Their parents traveled around the world and since Hoseok was an adult, they allowed Jungkook to live with just him. It wasn’t tough to be an older brother to him. He was a good kid but he played way too much video games for his own good.

His grades were pretty much average. Hoseok wanted to nag at him to do better but then again, Hoseok nagged him for basically everything else.

“Kookie-ah, you washed the dishes right?” Hoseok went to check the sink before his brother could answer. The dishes were unfortunately overflowing the sink.

Hoseok’s lips trembled. “Kookie-ah. Wash the dishes.”

Jungkook got up from his computer and sighed. “Why Hyung?”

Hoseok just shook his head and went to start dinner. “Because I make the food. You have to wash it.” He thought he already established that but his brother did not get the memo.

Jungkook did as he was told as usual. “So.” Jungkook began. “Did the interview go well?” He began scrubbing the dishes quickly.

Hoseok grabbed a bunch of ingredients in the cabinet and released them on table. Curry sounded very good right then.

“Yup. I think the boss really liked me.” Hoseok looked at the can with the word ‘curry’ in it and began opening it.

“How was the competition though?” Jungkook’s curiosity got the best of him.

“Not that bad this time. There were some intimidating people but I didn’t pay attention to that.”

Hoseok heated a giant pot and dumped the curry in. Then he grabbed a bunch of vegetables and started dicing them.

“Any cute girls?” Jungkook raised both his eye brows.

This kid. Jungkook was actually shy around strangers but he was very comfortable with him.

Hoseok’s felt his face turn shy. “Well.” Yeah there was but he blew it already! He actually remembered her name too. Mihi. She had a very mature looking face, pretty long hair and dare he say attractive looking body. By looks, she was definitely his type but she didn’t smile much. She actually sounded pretty sweet when she first came in but during her interview questions, she sounded very casual. She sounded scary when she was yelling at him but he couldn’t quite help but be attracted to that too.

But Mihi was just attractive and nothing more. He didn’t like her or anything. Especially with the way she’s handling the situation. 

“So who is she, hyung?~” Jungkook asked clearing the dishes quickly.

“Oh some girl. I kind of messed it up with her so I got to apologize to her if I see her tomorrow. She’s really…something.”

“What’d you do?”

Hoseok finished chopping and dumped everything into the pot to simmer. “Accidentally tripped on her and now she’s really mad.” It sounded really ridiculous saying it out loud. “She didn’t give me a chance to explain…” Hoseok sighed. Even though there was nothing to explain, he didn’t want to be on the girl’s ‘to kill’ list.

Jungkook grabbed some plates off the cabinet and placed it on the table. The two waited for the curry to be done before they began to eat.

Hoseok didn’t think his cooking was terrible or anything but it was better than nothing.

Jungkook ate it silently and quickly. He always did since he wanted to get back to his games.

“Say Jungkook. Are you still in choir?” Hoseok took a big bite off his spoon.

“Yeah.” Jungkook coughed and drank a full glass of water. “I am but I’m not doing so well.”

Hoseok’s eyes went large. Jungkook despite being a video game loving nerd also knew how to sing very well. His brother could be a Kpop Idol if he wanted to. Jungkook was also very tall for his age and could sing, dance, and rap. The only thing he at was sports.

Hoseok was kind of jealous of his brother for some of those qualities but not all since Jungkook could barely clean or get good grades. Hoseok found those qualities needed for life.

“Well what happened?” Hoseok asked.

Jungkook shrugged. “It’s nothing. I’ll do better next time.” Jungkook got out of his seat went to the sink to wash his dishes.

Hoseok pondered what his younger brother could be going through but at times like this, he chose to let it go. He’ll come to him soon…hopefully.

The next day, Hoseok got a call from the manager saying that he got the job. His face brightened immediately. “Thank you sir!” Hoseok hanged up and got ready for orientation

 

When he arrived he noticed a few workers that he met the day before. “You guys got in too?” He started the conversation with several others.

“Yeah man. Got in as expected. Not even surprised to see you here.” This large guy he learned was named Chinho gave him a half hug.

They continued to talk for a while until the door opened and Mihi walked in. As usual, she was pretty especially now since her hair was left down. Now was his chance. His heart beat quickly but he took a step forward to acknowledge her presence.

Unexpectedly, she ignored him completely. Hoseok’s mouth hung open in shock. She must be really pissed! His lips curled into a slight smile but his eyes felt like it lost all its life. He didn’t want this at all. To be ignored by a coworker for an accident.

When the meeting was over, he was put into her group and they were forced to be together at the front. Minah left them alone and he knew it was his chance again to get her to forgive him.

Sadly, no matter what he said, he was shot down. He kept on persisting. Finally she told him that she would never forgive him and poked his chest.

He stared at her full on. Challenge accepted.

The next day he came in at 2 pm to start work and Mihi was already there putting on her uniform.

“Hey~ let’s have a fun day working together.” Hoseok grinned at her and threw on his uniform.

Mihi sighed. “Whatever.”

The corner of Hoseok’s lips twitched but he held onto the smile.

They both got to the front and they seated people as they came and went. He barely had time to make conversation with her. They were very busy that day.

“I’m going to take a break.” Hoseok finally said stretching his arms.

“I don’t remember asking.” Mihi replied as she scribbled something down in her notepad.

“I know…but I was wondering if we could take a break together.” He had to at least try. Plus, he rather not eat alone.

She looked up from her notes and gave him a ‘are you kidding me’ look.

Hosoek held onto his smile. He was sure she hated his guts but there must be a way to soften her up.

“What, so are you going to keep avoiding me even during lunch time?” Hoseok couldn’t help but ask.

“That’s the plan.~” Mihi switched to her sweet sounding voice. “I don’t have the time a day for you.” She her heal and walked away.

She was too harsh.

Hoseok sighed heavily. This was difficult.

Hoseok took his lunch bag and went outside for some fresh air. He didn’t like eating alone at all and hopefully someone came out to join him. He bit into his sandwich and the mustard shot out of the sandwich and got on his uniform.

“Come on.” Hoseok groaned to himself. He looked around for a napkin but didn’t find any. All of a sudden a napkin was thrown in his lap.

Hoseok looked up to see Janitor Jimin raking the leaves outside.

“Thanks man!” Hoseok grinned and wiped his shirt clean.

“No problem.” He said casually and dumped the pile of leaves into the garbage can.

“The name is Hosoek.”

“Jimin.”

The Jimin guy looked really friendly but kind of quiet. He had a baby face too despite his body. He must be a year or two younger than him by the looks of it.

“So you’ve been working here for a year. Do you like your job?” Hoseok asked casually. Not that he was judging him for being a janitor.

Jimin paused and wiped a bead of sweat that rolled down his face. “It could be better but it puts food on the table you know? It’s not like they’ll hire me anywhere else.”

“Really? You never know until you try.”

“Oh, I tried.” Jimin chuckled. “But at the end, this job always had their arms open for me and so here I am.”

It was interesting learning about where Jimin came from.

“I recently lost my old job and so I quickly had to find a new one.” Hoseok admitted to him. He lost it in the most horrible way. He didn’t want to talk about it anymore but he felt the need to bring it up.

“Sorry for you. At least you got hired here right away right?” Jimin asked with a concerned voice. Luckily for Hoseok, he didn’t ask more about it.

“Right you are. Jimin why don’t take a break yourself?” Hoseok asked finishing his sandwich.

“I will later.” Jimin sighed. “Why? Are you lonely?” He with a smirk.

Hoseok laughed. “Kind of. No one wanted to take a break with me.” He wasn’t ashamed of it. To be manly, sometimes you had to admit embarrassing things.

Jimin paused. “Then I’ll take a break with you tomorrow.”

“Really?” Hoseok looked at him shocked.

Jimin shrugged. “Sure why not? It’s not like I take breaks with anyone else either.”

“But you’ve been here for a year?”

Jimin looked like he wanted to say more but instead he shook his head. “Well, consider yourself lucky then.”

Hoseok grinned. This Jimin guy wasn’t that bad at all.

Hoseok was going to say more but then the door to the restaurant flew open. Mihi stood there annoyed. “Hey horse, your break was done five minutes ago.”

“Horse?” Well that was new.

“Sorry, I was chatting it out here since someone didn’t care to join me.” Hoseok didn’t know why but he wanted to try to return the sass back to her. He couldn’t be that nice for too long.

Mihi’s eyes shifted to Jimin and then to back to him. Her voice suddenly grew shy. “J-just get back in here. I was covering for you.”

“What? That’s surprising.” Hoseok noticed her change of tone but he didn’t quite understand why. “So you do have a bit of nice in you after all.” Hoseok grinned and wiped his pants as he stood up.

“Haha.” Mihi laughed sarcastically. She held on to the door knob harder. “Come in or I won’t cover for you ever again.”

“You don’t have to threaten him…” Jimin spoke up suddenly. Jimin was leaning against his rake. “My name is Jimin by the way.”

Mihi suddenly looked stressed. “Sorry…”

Hoseok’s eyes bugged out. Did Mihi just apologize? He couldn’t believe it.

“My name is Mihi.” Her voice changed to a shy and less fierce tone. “Hoseok, please come in already.” She almost whined to him.

Cute.

Hoseok slowly walked over to Mihi. He replayed the words ‘sorry’ over in his mind. So Mihi could say sorry to Jimin but she won’t forgive him? This was just unfair. She even used the word please. Who was she trying to impress? Hosoek’s eyes flickered over to Jimin who waved to them good bye and began to work again.

As the door shut behind him he started grinning widely. “So…you’re being nice to Jimin and not me huh?” He wanted to know.

Mihi suddenly froze and then continued walking. “I’m nice to everyone except you. Didn’t you notice?”

Hoseok didn’t let her off the hook and walked right in front of her. “But your voice. It sounded so shy. Does that mean you like—“ He was suddenly cut off and dragged by the sleeve to a nearby closet. No one was watching them so there was nothing to worry about.

She closed the closet and drove her finger into his chest again. “Don’t you dare think I like him. I just met him just now.” Her eyes were cold and the poke was very hard. If she didn’t like him, why was she being so defensive about it?

He wanted to worry about it more but his heart decided to pound rather too quickly. He didn’t know why but it was aching the moment she grabbed onto him. The closet was rather small so they were really close together.

“But you find him attractive.” Hoseok guessed again. He didn’t know why but he wanted to press her buttons to see how far she would go. Plus, he didn’t want her to leave yet. As creepy as it sounded, the closet was the only chance he could get alone alone time with her.

Mihi’s face flushed. “Why do you care?” She grit her teeth and her finger left his chest.

“So I was right?” Hoseok smiled again. He didn’t really believe it but if she kept being defensive about it, he might have to.

“You’re wrong so leave me alone will you?” Mihi grit her teeth and was about to leave when Hoseok reached out to grab her arm and pull her back. It was just an instinct to. If she left now, she will definitely still hate him. He wanted to lessen that as much as he could.

“Mihi. I’m just teasing.” He didn’t want to let go. She looked so mad for no reason. He didn’t understand her problem or was it her personality. Either way, he didn’t want to let her leave this way.

She didn’t shrug him off like he thought and so he used this opportunity to speak again. “I’m sorry Mihi. I just want us to be friends.” Which was the truth.

He looked at the back of her head all depressed.

She turned her head slightly to look at him. “We’re going to get in trouble at this rate.” She shrugged him off and pulled him by the hand outside the closet. Luckily no one was near the closet again. Her hand left his quickly as she walked to the front again.

Sure, he didn’t get an answer but he was feeling all sorts of joy. Her fingers were so soft and he felt his face go red when he fingers met his. She could have easily just shrugged him off and left but she pulled him out. He didn’t know why but he watched her silently throughout the rest of the day, his heart filled with joy. She was rude, mean, and too sarcastic for his taste but why did he like being around her so much?

She was definitely nice to customers and other coworkers. One day, he wanted to see that kindness be shown to him.

He knew she probably had a softer side to her and he wanted to see it. For now, he could only be the best version of himself and hopefully his hopeful energy would rub off on her.

.:Chapter End:.

Authors Note: She might not seem very likable but I guess not everyone is the same in life xD They kind of have similar lives living with living with only one other person but that's pretty much it I think. I hope I don't make my guy characters seem too similar because I feel like I have a tendency to do that sometimes. OTL