Meeting the Horse

Working with a Horse

.:Chapter 1: Meeting the Horse:.

Pencil Skirt? Check. Hair in Bun? Check. Tolerance? Not check. Why did she need to do this? She needed this because of money. Waking up every day using her own parent’s money made her feel guilty. She needed a job to grow as a person. Mihi internally wept and dramatically stomped on the ground. She was in her first year of college and it was already tough enough. The interview was for a hostess at a nearby restaurant. She had the looks, the body, and all she also needed was confidence and experience. But she didn’t want to do this. It was troublesome.

“I just got to do it dammit.” She told herself and bit her bottom lip and finally turned her hand on the door knob.

Light flooded her vision. There were potential employees seated in the room surrounding a man comfortably seated in an armchair. As Mihi walked across the room, she noticed some interviewees in their seat eying her up and down as she took her seat.

erts.

She sighed and twirled an escaping lock of hair behind her ears. “Sorry for being late.~” She tried in her sweetest tone. She dreaded using it but she had to act professionally. First impressions do make a difference don’t they?

The manager gave her a smile and waved her off. “It’s okay, we just begun.” He appeared to be around his fifties. He had greying hair and glasses. His smile was very kind though. “Now, please go around the room and introduce yourselves.”

The person to her far left went first.

“Dylan Mcgree.” He had a sharp tone in his voice and curly blonde hair. Mostly likely a foreigner by the way he speaks. He also had a serious look in his eye. Mihi wondered what position he applied for.

Next went a male that appeared to be around her age but slightly older. The first thing she noticed was the large smile he had stretched across his lower face. When she said large, she meant LARGE. It was like a horse really. Besides his smile was his short brown hair. He was very handsome though and kind looking. He seemed to be very enthusiastic too. Oh Joy.

“Jung Hoseok. Nice to meet everyone.” He quickly waved to everyone. When his eyes got to hers, she could have sworn that it lingered on her a little longer than everyone else either that or she was thinking too highly of herself.

Several more interviewees answered and then it got to her. “Nang Mihi. It’s a pleasure.” She gave a slight bow to everyone before folding her hands back on her lap. It was such a normal way of introduction but she didn’t want to stand out really.

The interview continued with everyone introducing themselves and answering questions. She answered them smoothly as she could.

After the interview was done, Mihi slowly got up left the room with her purse slung over her shoulder. Some of the guys in there were just…unprofessional. Even though she was facing forward, there were several guys looking in her direction. Haven’t you seen a woman before? There were several females in that room but most of them still looked in her direction. She should be used to this by now but she wasn’t. To think they would still do that even when their job is on the line.

Mihi was already halfway down the hallway when someone called out to her.

 “Hey!” Someone shouted after her. “Hey!!!!”

Mihi slowly turned around and saw the man with the big smile running towards her with her cellphone in hand. “You forgot this on your table!” He ran towards her like a wild horse. Did he really have to run that fast?

“Can you slow down—“ Or calm down more like it. She wasn’t running or anything.

He kept on running and all of sudden he tripped right over his left foot and his body flew into her. She felt her body get slammed against a nearby wall and suddenly her lips were instantly captured by his. She stared wide eyed at the fool. His lips were unmoving and stayed there frozen.  

Her heart began to race. IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?! Mihi’s blood began to boil.

She didn’t know how long it had been but she quickly shoved him off. Her face began to heat up in embarrassment as she covered with one hand.

“IDIOT YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!” All sense of her politeness has been drowned by her outburst.

Hoseok backed up and covered his own mouth with his hand and shook his head quickly. “N-no! It was definitely was an accident!” Panic sketched across his face with a deep blush.

“Trust me. I didn’t do that on purpose.” He tried to explain it to her but she wouldn’t have it.

“Right.” Sarcasm oozed out of her voice as she trembled.  “Like I’m supposed to believe that.” She scoffed. Mihi could have believed it but she was too mad too. This guy stole her first kiss!

“It’s the truth!”

She was done with him and his stupidity. “Just stay away from me.” She scowled and left the man alone.

“Please, I’m sorry!” He shouted after her.

She ignored it.

Jerk. What gives him the right?!

As she exited out of the building she walked right in the way of a man picking up garbage off the floor. The guy had black hair and long thin horizontal eyes. What drew her in was the fact that he was wearing a black tank top and a green janitor’s outfit zipped all the way down to his hips and the sleeves were tied at his waist. His arms were no joke. Very…muscular.

“Excuse me.” Mihi plainly said as she tried to keep her eyes off the guy. She walked around him.

The guy looked up confused and tossed the piece of garbage off the ground and into his bag.

Mihi continued walking to her house in a hurry. “Ugh, jerk.” She was referring to the man who kissed her. If he gets hired too, she wouldn’t know what to do. At the back of her mind she knew it was an accident. He did look sorry about it. She didn’t want to be mad at him but he did steal her first kiss.

To her, kissing wasn’t something she wanted to end up doing with anyone. She had to like them a lot. A lot of guys tried to kiss her before but she took defense class before and so she wouldn’t let any of that happen to her.

She slammed the door to her apartment shut. She dropped her bag off on the kitchen counter. Hearing the slam, her roommate came out of his bedroom with his hands stuck in a bag of chips.

“So what went wrong this time?” Yoongi asked casually, popping another chip into his mouth. His usual brown cut hair was in a mess and he was wearing a t-shirt and long shorts. He looked like he had just woken up from a nap.

“Why are you still in your pajamas? Don’t tell me you just woke up.” Mihi nagged him. She snatched the bag of chips from him and placed it in the cabinet.

“Fine I won’t tell you…Hey!”

“That’s unhealthy too, Yoongi.” She pursed her lips and plopped down in the middle of their living room couch. The two had been sharing the apartment for a little while ever since they graduated. They had been friends for four years since the start of High School. They both had their parents help out with the rent but gave them three months to find a job to help pay.

“Sorry mother.” He replied.

“Ugh, I’m so frustrated.” She sank into the couch as Yoongi his salty fingers.

 “Do you want me to give you a massage then?” A voice said above her. Yoongi placed his hand on her shoulders and used small circular motions with his thumbs on her back.

“Ew.” Mihi replied shrugging his hands off. “You didn’t even wash your hands.” She groaned and flipped the TV channel on.

Yoongi hopped over the couch and sat next to her. “So am I supposed to ask what went wrong or something?” His eyes were instantly glued to the television set.

Some people questioned their friendship. How can two people so different be friends? The fact was, they were very similar in many ways but had differences that each other lacked. They were very compatible if she thought about it.

“Lazy .” Mihi mumbled. “You don’t even care I bet.” She sighed. He probably didn’t. He was not good with this sort of thing and she knew about it. That’s why she never pressured him to learn about her problems. Yoongi did always end up knowing anyways. She didn’t know how to keep it in for long.

“Maybe I care.” Yoongi shrugged his shoulders. “That’s why I sort of asked.”

“Forget it. I’m just. Ugh.” She couldn’t even finish her sentence. Thinking back about the kiss made her feel embarrassed. That stupid overly happy horse.

“Remember when I told you I was saving my first kiss for someone special?” She finally said after ten minutes of television.

“What? I mean yes?” Yoongi’s eyes went from to the TV to her in a mere second. He waited impatiently for her to tell him. This was interesting.

“So today I lost it.” Mihi sank even further into the couch. “This jerk…”

“What? What happened?” Yoongi suddenly focused in on his best friend. “Don’t tell me. Someone forcibly kissed you.” His teeth grinding a bit.

“No. More like it was an accident.” Mihi sighed. “But I’m still very mad.”

“Accident my . That type of thing is easily preventable.”

“That’s what I’m saying!” Mihi threw her hands up. “Like am I supposed to believe that he crashed onto me on purpose.” She thought back on his very friendly smile and shuddered. It was probably an act. He was probably all kinds of evil.

“I agree.” Yoongi’s said as his eyes went back to the television.

“I would say let’s go get him and teach him a lesson but my favorite show is about to come up.” Yoongi replied.

Mihi grabbed a pillow and slapped him across the face with it. “You’re a jerk too.” She got up swiftly and went into her room. “Find a job too or you’re out of here!”

The next morning, she got a phone call from one of the managers.

“Hello? Mihi? Congrats! We’ve decided to hire you. Come in today at four for orientation.”

“What? Really? Thank you!” She hanged up and got ready instantly. She arrived five minutes early with hair down and slightly curled.

There were several people in the meeting standing there talking amongst themselves. Some she was very surprised that they made it in and others she wasn’t so suprprised. She frowned at the sight of one of them.  

“Mihi right? I just wanted to apologize again. My name is Jung Hoseok or you can call me Hobi if you want…Listen yesterday was purely an accident.” The horse started rambling on but Mihi just walked past him and stood next to the foreigner named Dylan.

“What good weather we’re having don’t you think?” She said, clearly ignoring Hoseok.

Dylan nodded. “Very good these days. We’ll get a lot of customers with this.”

“Agreed.” She looked forward as the boss walked in. At the corner of her eye, she could see staring at her with a huge surprised look on his face. Hoseok brought his head down for the obvious failure at calling truce with her.

“Now that we have everyone here. Let’s get started.” The manager clapped his hands and went over the basics. Mihi nodded and tried her best to keep up. Remembering every little detail was very important in every job. That’s what she read on the internet anyways. She was clearly no expert.

Half way through his explanation, someone entered the room making the manager stop midway through his speech.

Mihi looked at the door as the janitor entered. Today he was wearing a pair of small silver earrings on both sides of his ears and black gloves with the exact same outfit as yesterday.

 “Ah, Jimin. You’re a little late don’t you think?” The manager asked him with his hands crossed.

“Sorry.” Jimin pulled the bucket of water and mop with him. “It won’t happen ever again.” He simply bowed a 90 degrees and dragged the rest of his supplies to the corner of the room.  

Noticing the silence, he turned his head in their direction raised his arms for them to continue. “You guys can continue. Don’t mind me.” He removed his glove and scratched the back of his ear. Then he placed them on his hand again and continued scrubbing the ground in circular motions.

Mihi really couldn’t stop staring at him for some reason.

Someone started to speak out amongst the silence. “Say, do you always let people come in late? You didn’t even get mad at him.” This snooty annoying girl from the meeting called out. Seriously, how did she even get hired? Like, off.

Jimin the janitor visibly froze half way through, shook his head and continued to mop like nothing.

“Jimin is a hard working guy. Of course, for working with us for a year, he has never been once been late.” The manager said, eying Jimin like his son. “If you have another problem with an employee, please don’t single them out in front of everyone but instead talk to me in my office.” He eyed the snooty girl.

Jimin let out a small smirk as he continued to wipe the ground.

“And no. I don’t usually let them off the hook if they continuously come late to answer your question.”

The manager continued on with the lesson and told them to split up into groups according to their job title.

Sadly for Mihi, Jung Hoseok was in her team.

“Okay follow me.” The hostess named Minah told them to come with her. She led them to the front of the store and explained the job. Then she left both of them alone to attend to a customer.

Mihi couldn’t believe it. She really didn’t want to be alone with him of all people. He was really trying hard to communicate with her and it was irritating her every second.

“I know you’re still mad but what can I do to make it up for you?” His usual happy face was replaced with a worried and sorry expression. “I really didn’t mean to by the way…”

“You can make it up to me by only talking to me when you need to.” Mihi finally snapped. She couldn’t stay quiet for too long.

Hoseok’s face fell again. “Besides that…is there anything else?” His eyes suddenly brightened. “Maybe if I serenade to you…I’m actually pretty good at singing and rapping.”

Mihi started laughing. “You can try but I’ll probably won’t fall for that. I’m not easily persuaded.”

“Really?” Hoseok looked shocked. “Are you sure? Everyone has something they can fall easily to.”

“Not me.” Mihi crossed her arms. “You can try all you want. But the fact that you kissed me is not going to change anything.”

It all came back to her lips. They were taken away in the most horrific way. Well, it could have been worse. It wasn’t a terrible kiss but it was not pleasant or enjoyable. It was shocking at most.

“Wait…are you mad because I stole your first kiss or something?” Hoseok guessed out of nowhere.

Mihi mentally screamed. Like how would you ever guess that? Was he a genius behind that Horse façade? Or was he just lucky. Like how he was lucky enough to steal her first kiss. “Believe what you want.” Her face flashed red and she leaned against the counter.

“Oh~ So I was right then.” Hoseok started chuckling uncontrollably. The corner of his lips turned upwards.  

“Why do I get the feeling that you’re satisfied by this? This is why I won’t ever forgive you.” Mihi frowned at him. He was enjoying this isn’t he? Jerk.

“I’m not!” he threw his hands up to defend himself. “More like, I find it cute that you never had a first kiss yet. Plus, you’ll have to forgive me sooner or later. We work the same spot, the same shift.”

“What? It happens more than you think?” Mihi blushed. This ing jerk . “And nope. I won’t.”

Hoseok laughed. “You’re so funny.” His eyes got smaller as he smiled.

“If you keep joking like that, I really won’t forgive you.” She rolled her eyes.

Hoseok bit his bottom lip. He took a long pause and stared at her. “Then I swear to you that I’ll do the best that I can to make you forgive me.” He finally said. All hints of jokes were wiped from his face. For the first time, he looked like a serious guy.

“Why?” Why do you need my forgiveness so bad, she questioned in her mind. Was it that hard to just talk to each other as coworkers instead of friends? Why did she have to get involved with him at all?

“Just because I can’t stand being on anyone’s bad side. It actually doesn’t happen a lot.” He scratched the side of his face. “I don’t want you to dislike me for an accident.”

“Well good luck to you.” He had a weird mindset. Not everyone in life is going to like you. He should know that.

“Nang Mihi. I’ll make sure you’ll forgive me.” He stared at her intently just before Minah came back.

Fine, if he wanted to play this game, she had to make sure he wouldn’t win.

“Jung Hoseok. I’ll never forgive you.” She poked his chest. 

.:Chapter End:.

Authors Note: Wow first chapter is done. I think I should have taken my time to make it a little better but I'm too excited. >< I'm still not sure what POV this will stay on right now. It will probably switch from J-Hope to Mihi and sometimes other characters~ Hope you enjoyed. I will update the foreward with cool graphics later and character roles and such as they are revealed.