Chapter Eight: But For What Price?

The Popular Games

The week had gone by as quickly as it came. It was one of those weeks where the feeling of anxiety filled the air. Why? Because it was the week Dongwoon would be trying out for three more sports teams.


Track and Field.

Archery.

American Football.

"So, which team is he trying out for today?" Hyunseung asks Doojoon as they walked to their first period together.

"I think I remember Jinny saying that Track and Field would be first today, after lunch." Doojoon says, "Then Archery tryouts will be at the end of the day, after school."

Hyunseung nods. "How about Football?"

Doojoon shrugs, "I'm not sure…probably tomorrow or Wednesday?"

"Football tryouts are on Thursday!" Yoseob, who came out of nowhere, says cheerfully as he caught up with Doojoon and Hyunseung.

The pair turned toward their other friend, looking at him curiously.

"Where did you come from?"

"My locker." Yoseob shrugs.

"Oh…" Doojoon says, "So, wait, how'd you know about the date of the tryouts?" He asked.

"I hang around Dongwoon…" Yoseob tells them, "And Jinhong…"

"Fair enough." Hyunseung mumbles.

Then it was silent for awhile as the 3 continued to walk towards their first class together.

"So, Track is after lunch?" Hyunseung asks.

Doojoon and Yoseob nod.

"Do you guys have class?"

Yoseob shakes his head but Doojoon replies with a, "Yeah."

"Then how are we watching?" Hyunseung directs his question mostly to Doojoon, who had the same dilemma as he did—seeing as Yoseob had a free period.



"Cut, of course." Doojoon replied with a smirk.

- - - - - - - - -

"You're one of the clumsiest people I know," Jinhong starts, "I can't wait to watch your tryouts later!" She laughs as she faces Dongwoon.

The 2 of them had arrived at their 2nd period Algebra class early that day and were one of the few people already waiting inside the classroom.

Dongwoon pouted, "Weren't you just all concerned about me like last week about these sport things? Why the sudden excitement to see me get hurt?" Dongwoon asks her, "And besides, don't you have class after lunch?"

"Duh, I'm cutting class of course!" Jinhong tells Dongwoon with smug smile.

He scoffs, "Great." He says sarcastically.

Jinhong scrunched up her face, "Ya'know, I would normally be overdramatic about your reaction and say something like 'Fine! I wont watch and support you' but nah," Jinny says unfazed, "I don't care if you mind that I watch…I'm definitely sticking around for the comedy." She smirks.

Dongwoon rolls his eyes, "Aish…" He sighs, "I bet you're just watching to make fun of me."

"I thought I'd already made that clear." Jinhong retorts.

"Aigoo, my friends…" Dongwoon mumbles, "I bet the rest will watch to make fun of me, too."

"You got that right, buddy."

Dongwoon shakes his head, "No support. What. So. Ever."

"Hey, I'll be rooting for you," Jinny defends, "Not that you'll make the team or anything like that…but hopefully not embarrass yourself as bad as during the wrestling tryouts." She stifles a laugh.

"Yah, Moon Jin Hong…you really are something else."

- - - - - - - - -

Lunch time had come rather quickly. In fact, time seemed to have flown by so fast with their first 3 periods.

"Where's Dongwoon?" Jinhong asks as she gets to their usual lunch table. She sets her tray down and takes a seat. "Wait. Why are we so incomplete?" she asks looking around the table.

There sat Gikwang, Hyunseung, Junhyung and Jamie—who had arrived with her.

"Dongwoon is probably preparing for his Track tryouts later…" Hyunseung informs Jinhong.

"Yeah? Who had third with him?" She asks around the table.

"Doojoon," Junhyung says, "But he's not here either."

"I'm not even going to ask where that boy headed off to…" Jinhong shakes her head, "How about Yoseob? Where is he?"

The table turned towards Gikwang, knowing full well that they had their last class together. But he didn't seem like he was in the mood to talk.

Gikwang was playing with his food and not eating it, poking and tossing his grilled chicken . "The cheerleaders found him again…" He mumbles gloomily.

They noticed that Gikwang had been silent for the past couple of days. Ever since Yoseob had gotten attention from Hyuna, Gayoon and Gina, and then the failure of his muscle show, he didn't seem to be his usual cheerful self.

"Yah, we gotta make him feel better." Jinhong whispers to her best friend as she motions towards Gikwang.

Jamie nods, agreeing very much with that idea, she didn't like seeing Gikwang so depressed.

"Yah, Lee Gikwang." Jinhong calls over to him.

He looks up at her slowly.

"Could you cheer up a  bit? The whole depressed thing doesn't suit you!" Jinhong says.

"And it's really bringing us down, oppa…" Jamie adds.

Gikwang just sighs, "But Yoseob…he's, it's just…how the hell is he in the lead." He whines. It didn't stop there, though, he continued with a bunch of complaints.

"Always! Hyuna, Gayoon and Gina are always talking to him whenever they get the chance to, and Yoseob only does his aegyo around them and they're always falling for it! How come he gets noticed, but when I put on a show none of them come near me?! Cute over muscle, really?!"

Junhyung snorts. It was the first time Gikwang sounded like such an unreasonable idiot.

"Your thinking's really messed up, man." Hyunseung comments, "Do you think he's hanging around Doojoon too much?" He whispers to Junhyung who lets out a chuckle.

"Aish! Is that it?" Jinhong scoffs, "You know, you're being all depressed for nothing!" She tells him, speaking in her usual loud voice.

Gikwang looked up at her, hopeful. Hoping that Jinny would tell him something he didn't know.

Luckily for him she does, "If you didn't know by now," Jinhong started, "Yoseob will stay with 3 votes if he keeps hanging out with just the cheer-triplets…! So if you get a move on, you could still get more votes." She encourages him.

Gikwang's face lit up.

His eyesmile that had been gone for days was finally back.


"That's right!!!" He exclaims, flashing a bright smile at Jinhong's direction, "You're right! His vote count wont rise if he keeps that up!" He was excited now. "I have to get a move on!"

"With what plan exactly?" Junhyung deadpans.

"Are you sticking to your old one?" Jamie asks hesitantly.

Gikwang smirks, "Of course!" He grins and then starts eating his chicken happily—returning back to normal, positive thoughts of winning the bet consuming his mind.

"Aigoo, hopeless." Jinhong mutters as she takes bit off her Salmon and Cream Cheese sandwich, "Speaking of getting a move on…" She begins, "What are you two doing to win the bet?"

Hyunseung and Junhyung both shrug.

"Seriously? You don't wanna win?" Jinny asks the two.

Gikwang looked over at them curiously. It was weird. No one knew what the two had up their sleeves. They never really revealed what their plans were to get popular. In fact, Hyunseung and Junhyung rarely showed interest in the bet at all.

"Are you guys even in this?" Jamie wondered out loud.

The two nodded.

"It's so weird, you guys are so silent…" Jamie comments barely above a whisper as she takes a sip from her orange juice.

Junhyung chuckles, "We don't have absurd plans like the others, is that wrong?" Junhyung replies to Jamie's comment.

"Yeah, and I'm not over thinking it…" Hyunseung adds, "If an idea comes, it will. But for now, I kind of wanna observe the trials and errors of the 4."

"Smart." Jinhong smirks. "They'll show you what not to do." She laughs followed by Hyunseung and Jamie. Junhyung simply chuckles. But Gikwang was not as amused.

"Yah, that's not fair. So you're looking at us like Guinea pigs?!" Gikwang bellows.

Yet again, Junhyung and Hyunseung shrug. "There was nothing in the rules that said we needed to start right away…" Hyunseung says.

"And copying concepts wasn't part of our cheating rules." Junhyung added.

"It should be…" Jamie mumbled.

Jinhong shook her head, "It's fine you guys. Go at your own pace." She says to Hyunseung and Junhyung.

The table grows quiet for awhile as they continue eating the lunch, Jamie and Jinny talking in hush whispers using the English tongue.

"Haha! You're crazy. Shut up." Jinhong suddenly laughed out loud which drew attention from the 3 guys around the table.

Jinhong quickly composed herself and looked around the table ready to ask them a question when Yang Yoseob had arrived.

"Hey guys! What's up?" He says taking a seat next to Gikwang.

Gikwang was still bitter over Yoseob's popularity and kind of just grunted when Yoseob had taken a seat.

"Nothing really…" Jinhong shrugs. "So, how are the cheerleaders?" She asks Yoseob trying to make small take.

He just shrugs and opens a box containing what looked like a Blueberry Cheesecake, he took a bite from it and shrugged again, "I dunno, just said hi to them and then went over to check up on maknae…" He says casually.

"Wait. You were with Dongwoon?" Jinhong asked. Surprise evident in her tone.

"Yep, he's mentally preparing himself for the Track tryouts. He's practicing a bit, too…"

"So that kid's in the field by himself." Junhyung starts, "…looking like an idiot already? Why aren't we there to see this?"

Yoseob shakes his head, "Aniya! He's not doing anything like that…" Yet. Yoseob wanted to add, but kept it to himself. Yeah, he watched Dongwoon practice around the track.

Jinhong smirked, "He will be…"

"Even I have to say Track would be hard for Dongwoon. He trips over his own feet." Hyunseung says.

Gikwang, Yoseob and Jamie nod sadly.

"I think he's even clumsier than me." Jamie says.

"So who's watching Dongwoon's tryout?" Jinhong finally gets to ask them.

Everyone around the table said they'd be going. Well, all the boys did.

"Who here is cutting?"

They all raised their hands, with the exception of Yoseob.

"See James, we're all cutting the next period to watch Dongwoon tryout!"

"Well I'm not…" Jamie says like the good girl she is, "Just tell me how it goes…"

"It won't be the same…"

- - - - - - - - -

"WHERE'S DOOJOON?! HE'S GOING TO MISS THIS!!!" Jinhong exclaimed excitedly. She was growing anxious and couldn't sit still.

They had been waiting by the bleachers that gave them a good view of the field for about 10 minutes. They were unsuccessful on convincing Jamie to cut 4th period so, Jinhong was the only girl there. And Doojoon was missing as well.

"I'M HERE! I'M HERE!" Doojoon panted as he announced his arrival, climbing up the steps. "Did I miss anything?" He asks as he takes a seat beside Jinhong.

She shook her head, "Nah! But I think it's about to start! Look!" She tells her best friend and points towards the field.

"I think the coach is talking to them already…" Yoseob says.

"And they're all lined up, too…" Gikwang adds.

The six of them started chattering excitedly about what would happen during the tryouts and also discussed the fate of Dongwoon.

"I prefer watching races than wrestling matches…"

"I wanna see who's the fastest!"

"Which type of event is Dongwoon participating in?"

"Do we have jumping events in this school? Is he going to pole vault?"

"Nah, we only do the running events!"

"Don't tell me he's going to try out for sprints!!"

"How about relays?"

"No! He's going for hurdling!!!"

"Are you serious?!"

"I bet Dongwoon will fall over the 4th Hurdle!"

"No way! He'll fall over the first!"

"I bet the girls in the team are better than him!"

"Some of them have mad hops! Don't under estimate them!"

"Who knows! Dongwoon might do well! He's got long legs!"

"Long legs aren't everything. Believe me."

"Yo! Calm down, guys! It's starting!" Jinhong yells over them and points towards the field where where students had begun dispersing.

"Is Dongwoon going to be a part of the first ones this time?!!??!"

"This will be good."

Junhyung even bought a can of Coke and popcorn specifically to watch this tryout.

"Yah, where did you get that?" Yoseob asks staring at Junhyung curiously.

"Just like watching a movie, Yoseob. Like watching a movie." He smirks.

"Good thing Jamie isn't here…" Yoseob mumbles.

Besides her fear of mustaches, that weird girl also disliked popcorn. Actually, she disliked anything corn-related.

- - - - - - - - -

Not long before the students began setting up, Dongwoon had his turn to run, being put against guys with similar builds as his.

For once, he wasn't the worst person to try out.

This one guy fell over the first hurdle. But Dongwoon was the slowest from his group, he made it all the way to the last hurdle without completely failing until…

"AHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!"

"That wouldn't have been any fun if he did!!"

"He was still the slowest, though!"

"YES!! He didn't let us down! Thank you, Dongwoon!"

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THE FAILURE!!! I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!!"

Poor Dongwoon. All was going well for his hurdling until the last one, although he was the slowest at least he wasn't the worst. That was until his legs kind of gave up on him and he fell over.

- - - - - - - -

 

Oh my God, James! You should’ve seen it!” Jinhong starts, laughing as she tells her story, “I think everyone really thought he was going to make it…” she continues, “until the last part where he totally fell over!

“What? He really did?

Jinhong nods, “Yeah at first I think all of us thought he’d make it, and I had this feeling that we’d all be happy for him…cause ya’know, he wouldn’t make a fool of himself…but he did! And this one was self-inflicted!

Goodness, you really enjoy other peoples’ misery?

It was so entertaining, James!” Jinhong laughed.

Dongwoon and sports…” Jamie says slowly, “Of course it’s entertaining...

I know! I know! I can’t believe you missed it!

“Ah, don’t worry…I’ll definitely be there for the Archery tryouts! I’ll cheer him on!” Jamie happily tells her best friend.

Yeah, you do that…” Jinhong rolls her eyes and turns away from Jamie.

- - - - - - - -

The 8 of them gathered over the Archery zone of their school's field. They all had accompanied Dongwoon out like they did for his wrestling tryouts, then they had to disperse. The rest of them staying by the sidelines where benches were set up, since the Archery zone was far from the bleachers.

Walking towards the benches Jinhong overheard Doojoon whisper to the rest of the guys.

"Bet you a banana split that he injures someone with that bow and arrow." Doojoon chuckles.

"I hope it's you." Junhyung mumbles. Only Hyunseung heard so he chuckled.

"Yah! Betting again?" Jinhong looked at him disapprovingly.

"What?" Doojoon replies defensively.

"You guys really have no confidence in Dongwoon?" Yoseob shakes his head.

"That kid can not aim!"

"I swear!" Jinny adds, "We were playing darts one time…" she begins then looks over to Doojoon, checking if he remembers the story she was about to tell, "And my god. His darts either landed off the double ring of the dartboard or not on the dartboard at all. Poor wall had holes around it…" She sighs.

Doojoon nods. Remembering that time they played darts. "She's not kidding! It was bad."

"And archery is way harder than simple darts."

"So what was that proposition?" Junhyung drawls, turning his attention to Doojoon, "A banana split?"

- - - - - - - -

"Okay, you cheapskate! I'll settle for a milkshake at Cube's Diner!" Junhyung says a bit smugly. "But I want the Butterfinger one!"

"Yah! That's one of the most expensive ones!" Doojoon argues.

"That or the Deluxe Banana Split over at Plaza's!" Junhyung grins.

"Aish! Fine! The milkshake, then." Doojoon huffs.

"Hey, a bet's a bet!"

Doojoon just rolls his eyes.

Only Junhyung partook in Doojoon's suggestion for a bet over Dongwoon's Archery tryout. Doojoon, who had no confidence that their maknae would hit anywhere near his target had bet that he would injure someone across the Archery Field or that his arrows would land somewhere by the trees.

Junhyung on the other hand had bet Dongwoon's arrow would land on the target. Just that, the target wouldn't be his.

True enough, 10 minutes into his try out Dongwoon's arrow had landed on the target of the person to his right. Which earned him weird looks from the students both trying out and in the team and from the coaches as well.

At least it wasn't as embarrassing as his Wrestling tryouts or his Track and Field tryouts earlier that day. And at least he hit within the target range…just that, it wasn't his.

But practicing the bow and arrow really took it's toll on Dongwoon's arms after a few hours.

- - - - - - - -

"That did not go the way I planned it!" Dongwoon voiced his frustrations over his second failure that day. That was the first thing he said the moment he finally met up with the rest of the group.

The 8 of them were now on their way home. Walking back to their houses after staying over in school late to watch Dongwoon's Archery tryouts.

He lets out a heavy sigh and continues, "Football is my only chance…" he mumbles.

"Yah, don't you think you should go another route?" Yoseob asks.

"And there's a flaw in your plan…" Hyunseung points out.

They all turned towards him. "A flaw?"

Hyunseung nods, "Which win are you trying to go by, anyway?" He first asks Dongwoon, "It Crowd or Jackpot?"

Dongwoon shrugs, "I was hoping…ermm…It Crowd? or Jackpot? I'm not even sure anymore."

"Okay, well…here's the flaw if you're trying to attract It Crowd attention…" Hyunseung begins.

Everyone was all ears to listen to what Hyunseung had to say. The 2 nosy best friends, Jinhong and Doojoon, were the ones especially excited to hear what he had to tell them.

"You should be trying out for the sports teams that have members of the It Crowd in them…" He says simply.

Everyone pondered over it. Track and Field, Archery, Wrestling, Football…the teams didn't have any It Crowd members in any of them, did it?

"KHUN-HYUNG!" Dongwoon suddenly exclaims, "I think I might still have a chance!" He says excitedly, "Khun-hyung is in the Football team! I still have those tryouts on Thursday! At least if he's there during tryouts I get a vote! And wont the cheerleaders be there as well?" He asks, the last question mostly to Yoseob.

Yoseob shrugs.

"Hmm…so that's the plan, eh?" Doojoon suddenly says in a cryptic voice, "Join clubs with It Crowd members…"

"What are you getting at?" Jinhong eyes Doojoon.

"Wait! I need help! For real this time!" Dongwoon says in panic, "I can't too much during football tryouts! Can you guys help me?" He pleaded to his friends.

Dongwoon got mixed responses.

Doojoon, Hyunseung, and Jamie shrugged.

Junhyung smirked, which probably meant no.

Yoseob and Gikwang gladly agreed.

And Jinhong…well, she was thinking about it.

"We'll try to help you anyway we can…" Yoseob says.

Gikwang nods, "I don't really know much about Football, but helping you will probably be a good workout…"

Dongwoon turned to his other friends, "Hyungs? Jinny? Jamie?"

"Well I won't be much of much help…" Hyunseung admits.

"Can I decline?" Junhyung asks. .

Dongwoon rolls his eyes, "Wait, do any of you know how to play Football?" He asks around.

Everyone shook their heads. Except for 3 people.

Jamie and Doojoon had now turned to look toward Jinhong. That caught everyone's attention and they looked her way too.

"Jinny, don't you play American Football?" Jamie says.

Doojoon adds, "Yeah! You like that right?"

"Do you really, Jinny?" Dongwoon asks face brightening up.

Jinhong sighs.

"Why don't you help him out, Jinhong?" Jamie asks her.

"Fine." Jinhong grunts, "Tomorrow and on Wednesday." She states not breaking eye contact with Dongwoon. "After school. My house." She said sternly. Then turns towards Jamie and Doojoon, "You two come along as well!"

- - - - - - - - -

Dongwoon's body was still sore from the tryouts yesterday. In fact, the pains that came right after his wrestling tryouts felt like they were back.

The three found themselves in front of Jinhong's house. They stared up at the big gates and didn't even need to move an inch before the gates were opened and they were let in.

They followed Jamie to hang out over at Moon's backyard. Where Jinhong had told them to wait for her. She'd given them instructions before she left school. She headed over to her house first to get ready for the impromptu training session, leaving her friends behind at school.

After a few minutes, Jinhong arrived at the backyard with her hair tied, dressed in her sport clothes.



But she was not alone.

"Hey guys," She calls over to them. The 3 look her way and noticed that a boy had accompanied her down.

Jamie, Doojoon and Dongwoon's eyes all turned towards him.

"This is my brother," Jinhong points to the boy standing beside him. "Spencer." She introduces her younger brother. "He's in their school's Football team." She grins.

Jinhong's brother flashes them a smile.

"You know James, and you've met Doojoon too." Jinhong tells her brother. He nods.

"That," She points to Dongwoon, "is Dongwoon. He's the one who wants to try out for our school's team."

"Cool." Spencer nods coolly.

Dongwoon gulped.

Spencer was either as tall as he was or a little bit taller. Dongwoon stood at 5"11, but Spencer probably hit 6 feet. Besides the height, he was much bigger in build. He was probably built like Gikwang, only thing was, he was standing 6 feet tall.

"So, are you ready Dongwoon?" Jinhong says looking Dongwoon in the eyes.

"I…think…so…" He says slowly.

"Yah, don't be a wimp! I'll be the one training you!" Jinhong tells him. "Spence is here to observe…"

Dongwoon lets out a sigh of relief. He wasn't ready to face legit football players. At least not yet.

"Then when I think you're ready, I'll have you go against Spence." She grins.

"What?!"

"LET'S START!" Jinhong exclaims happily as she grabs one of their Footballs.

- - - - - - - - -

"Scar, he ." Spencer calls over to his sister who was across him in their backyard. "Two afternoons won't be enough!"

"Oh, I know!" Jinhong replies loudly, not even looking at her brother as she throws the Football for the nth time that afternoon for Dongwoon to catch. It's been almost 2 hours and it all ended up as fumbles.

"He is not making the team. I. Am. Sure!" She tells her brother, "I just don't want him to in front of the testosterone population of my school."

Her brother laughs and so does Jamie.

Doojoon looks over to the girl who's been sitting beside him since they got there.

"What are they saying?" he asks curiously. Knowing full well that, besides the 2 siblings, only Jamie knew what they were talking about.

Jamie shakes her head, "It's nothing," She chuckles, "Just, Jinhong and Eungook don't think Dongwoon will get better in time for tryouts on Thursday…"

"Eungook?"

"Oh! That's her brother's Korean name…" Jamie smiles. She was used to calling the Moon siblings with their Korean names or their English names. She never mixed both. It was either Jinhong and Eungook, or Scarlett and Spencer.

Jamie chuckled and, in English, mumbled so Doojoon wouldn't understand, "She wouldn't go through all this training trouble for just anyone…"

- - - - - - - - -

Finally, Thursday—the day of Dongwoon's Football tryouts—had arrived and even he didn't think he was ready for it. With just 2 days to prepare, he wasn't confident. Not. At. All.

In fact, he was so close to backing out, but Jinhong did tell him he got better. Just yesterday he barely dropped the ball. He knew how to throw the ball properly, too. He also learned to kick, not that it got far, though—even Jinhong kicked farther than he did. But still, there was improvement.

And, it was the first time that week they were complete during lunch. The previous lunch sessions had seen missing members from the group seeing as Jinhong had insisted Dongwoon continue practicing Football even in school and the others also accomplishing their own to-do list for the bet.

But today, they were finally complete.

"So! Are you ready? How were your practices?! We wanted to drop by!!" Yoseob chatters excitedly as he pops a couple of Malteser's in his mouth.

"They were fine…" Dongwoon says quietly twirling and un-twirling pasta around his fork. "Jinny and her brother are really good…"

"If you were trained by good players then you should do well!" Yoseob encourages.

"I can't wait to see tryouts! I heard everyone in the team will be watching." Gikwang says.

Jinhong nods, "Yup! K--" But she cut herself off before she spoke any further.

Jamie looked at her curiously.

"I mean, yeah…" Jinhong starts awkwardly, "I heard around that people are looking forward to tryouts this year cuz there are these two freshmen kids who are like insanely good at Football!"

"How many slots are open for the team, anyway?" Hyunseung asks.

"3?" Gikwang says unsurely. "Or 4?"

"Yeah, 4." Jinhong nods, "Then I think they'll be picking second string members."

"Hey! Dongwoon! Maybe if you're lucky you'll make second string!" Doojoon comments.

"Maybe if he's lucky they'll open up a special third string for him." Junhyung chuckles.

Earning laughs from the people around the table. Except for Dongwoon, who was actually too nervous for the Football tryouts after school to care that they were making fun of him.

- - - - - - - - -

"As long as Khun-hyung calls me by my real name, and maybe one of the cheerleaders mentions me, then I think I'll be good." Dongwoon recites in his head, "Yeah, one point is better than no points at all! I mean, it's been weeks and only Yoseob-hyung has votes…I don't need to make the team, maybe just grab a couple points!"

The rest of the group, like what they did during his Track tryouts, positioned themselves on the bleachers to get a good look of the field and students occupying it.

"What do you think's going on in his mind now?" Jamie whispers to her best friend.

Jinhong shrugs.

"I mean, this is one of the biggest sports in school…" Jamie comments.

"Why do I get the feeling that this will be his best tryout…" Junhyung mumbles.

"Best as in good?" Yoseob asks him, "Or best as in most epically failed?"

"That's what I don't know." Junhyung admits.

- - - - - - - - -

And yet again, Junhyung predicted right.

It was weird, though. He predicted that it was Dongwoon's best tryout and it was. Success-wise and failure-wise.

Why? Because he didn't make the team but he scored.

- - - - - - - - -

"OHW!!!" Jinhong exclaims. "I didn't think they'd actually tackle him!" She yells over the sudden uproar.

"Holy ! That was ing beautiful!" Junhyung laughs as he points at Dongwoon who was now on the ground.

"Oh my god, Jinny never prepared him for that!" Doojoon says, with a hint of worry in his voice.

"Is he okay?!" Jamie panics.

"That look like it hurt!" Gikwang comments.

"Dongwoon-ah…will he be able to stand up?" Yoseob voiced his concern.

"That was pretty solid!" Hyunseung says.

"Pretty solid? That tackle wasn't held back!" Jinhong tells Hyunseung. "Good thing he was brought down by a safety, err, a free safety for that matter and not anyone from the defensive line or any of the linebackers."

"Yah! Son Dongwoon! Gwenchanhayo?!" Someone from the field, across them, calls out.

All 7 heads snap towards the direction of the voice.

It came from none other than the teams running back, Nichkhun Horvejkul.

"HOLY ! DONGWOON HAS A POINT!!!!!!!!" Jinhong exclaims.

Jamie nods slowly trying to take in what just happened.

And the rest of the 5 guys' mouths hung open.

- - - - - - - - -

In reply to Nichkhun's question, no, Dongwoon wasn't alright.

He wasn't injured, but he was in pain. That tackle, most probably, brought back entirely all the pains he had from wrestling.

But at least he got one point. That meant he was in second place. Only 2 points behind Yoseob. If there was only a way he could get the attention of the cheerleaders who were present or even the other It Crowd members—who were there watching—to call him by his name, that would make him perfectly content.

"Khunnie, is he okay?" Gina yells over to Nichkhun who helped Dongwoon up. "I haven't seen a kid take a tackle like that since our freshman year…" Gina whispers to Gayoon who was right beside her. Hyuna wasn't anywhere near them, too busy teaching the new members of their team cheers and dances.

"Yah, Khun-hyung is he okay?" Someone asks over Nichkhun's shoulder, the moment he and Dongwoon got to the benches.

"Ah, Wooyoung-ah…" Nichkhun smiles at his friend, "I think he'll be fine…"

Dongwoon was in pain and felt dizzy, he could only nod. He knew he'd be alright though.

"Lemme get you a gatorade or some water!" Nichkhun says as he stands up and leaves Dongwoon with Wooyoung.

"Son Dongwoon, right?" Wooyoung says to the sitting boy.

Dongwoon grins and temporarily forgot about his fatigue.

Then Wooyoung chuckles, "I remember when I tried out for the Football team…" He says, "I tried out along with Khun-hyung and the rest of my friends. But that was in our freshman year…"

Dongwoon looked at him curiously.

"The same thing happened to me," Wooyoung shares. Dongwoon didn't know why he was telling him this, they didn't know each other. Not at all. But here Wooyoung was talking to him. "I didn't try out for sports after that. Of course, Khun-hyung got in the team, and so did 2 of my other friends. Chansungie and Junho...they got in, but for different sports teams. Then the rest of us tried out for other things after that. Junsu-hyung had always been good with music, and Taecyeonie-hyung went for the council. I tried out for dance and that was the best decision I made." Wooyoung ended with a smile.

"Hyung, why are you telling me all this?" Dongwoon asked curiously.

"Cuz you're that crazy kid who tried out for all the sports…" Wooyoung answers bluntly, "Don't you think it's time to stop?"

Dongwoon chuckles, "Yeh, I think this will be my last one." Dongwoon says, his voice strained.

Wooyoung grins, "And thanks, Dongwoon-ah…" he says.

If Dongwoon was confused a few minutes ago, he was completely bewildered now.

"Uh, for what hyung?"

"Now people will forget about me being the kid that got gang tackled during football tryouts…and remember you instead."
- - - - - - - - -

"Now Wooyoungie is talking to him?!" Doojoon exclaimed, eyes ready to pop out.

"Does it count?" Yoseob asks agitatedly.

"Does it?" Jamie looks over to Jinhong.

"Did he say Dongwoon's name?" Hyunseung asks.

Jinhong sighs, she was contemplating.

"You have the superhuman ears!" Junhyung says impatiently, "Did you hear him say Dongwoon's name or not…"

"Unfortunately," Jinhong starts with a solemn tone, "For Yoseob…Wooyoung said his whole name: Son Dongwoon." She announces cheekily.

"Oh my God! He has 2 votes! Dongwoon got 2 votes!" Jamie said excitedly.

Doojoon, Yoseob and Gikwang couldn't believe it.

"I guess his plan worked out in the end…" Hyunseung comments, "Even if just a bit…"

"Yeah, but for what price." Jinhong mutters, "Look at him over there. Poor kid…"

"He now legit looks like he's in pain…" Doojoon says looking over at their maknae. Male maknae.

"I think he's reached his limit." Yoseob says.

- - - - - - - - -

The next day, they were complete again during lunch.

They congratulated Dongwoon on getting 2 votes, although he flinched everytime someone gave him a congratulatory pat on the back and or shoulder.

The 8 of them were all talking animatedly about the past week's events, how the rest of the guys should step their game up and how Dongwoon was completely mental for going through all this just to get 2 measly acknowledgement points from the It Crowd.

"You know, I've been thinking this for awhile now, but seeing you after all that, my resolve is strengthened—"

"—Doojoon, where did you learn such words?"

"The Speech Club." Doojoon replies proudly, but adds right after, "—which I got kicked out of yesterday, mind you, but I don't care."

Hyunseung shrugs, "Go on, then…"

"My resolve is strengthened," Doojoon starts again, "I am not trying out for any of the sports teams."

"Such a loss." Jinhong comments feigning sadness.

Junhyung smirks, "The other clubs are so lucky! They get to rub it in the faces of the sports teams that they have you, YooDoo."

The table erupts into laughter as they begin teasing Doojoon again. Their week wouldn't have been complete without making fun of Doojoon.

 


WAHHHH. OH MY GOD. I don't know what took soooo long for me to finish this chapter! Well, I guess you kinda have to understand...it was a very long chapter and we had to put everything in it already!! Because well, chapter 8 was really meant to finish all of Dongwoon's tryouts. :) So, yeah, I wrote this alone...with only the help of Jamie for the last part! I'd like to dedicate this chapter to you, Octoberettes, because you're half way around the world from me now *sobs* but we can still rock this story!! HAHAHAHA.

So, to all our readers, I hope you enjoyed this chapter...even though it was montage-y and not as funny as the previous ones......
Oh! And also, wait up for Chapter 9~! That chapter is by Octoberettes :) and it's YooDoo-centered so get ready for the comedy^^
Yes, while I was working on Chapter 8, Ella/Jamie/Octoberettes was working on chapter 9 :D

Yep, I guess that's it!

ADIOS.


also~~!!!
{bonus corner}
this is a special weekend!

September 3, 2011

Hyunseung's Birthday!!!

~ ~ ~

September 4, 2011

2PM`s THIRD ANNIVERSARY!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS♥