Chapter Seven: The Half- Goregeous Specimen

The Popular Games

"Are you kidding?! You're trying out for more? Haven't you had enough?" Jinhong scolded Dongwoon when they were walking the hallways on their way to their second period Algebra class.

Dongwoon shrugged, "I wanna win the bet, too, you know…" He mumbles, "And trying out for the sports teams in school is the only plan I have." He reasons.

Jinhong sighs, "Yah," she starts frustratedly. This time, she wasn't even getting mad at him anymore, more like scolding a little kid. "You do know that you're not very good at sports, right?"

Dongwoon chuckles, "Thanks for sugar-coating it." He says to her un-sarcastically.

Jinhong laughs, "I'm just saying…maybe you're going about this the wrong way."

"It's not like I can ask you or Jamie for help anyway…" Dongwoon retorts.

Jinny rolls her eyes, "We're not allowed to promote you, but I think we're allowed to suggest."

Dongwoon raises an eyebrow at her.

"Well then, do you have any suggestions?" He asks her a bit mockingly.

"I- uh- no." Jinhong says with a put-off expression, "Maybe Jamie does!" She snaps up happily, "Where is that girl anyway?" Jinhong wonders looking around.

"She's probably in the classroom already…" Dongwoon shrugs as he shoves his hands in his pockets.

It was silent for awhile as they continued walking in a slow pace towards their classroom which was at the end of the hall, and then Jinhong spoke up.

"Enlighten me," She starts, "Which teams do you plan on trying out for this time?" She asks him.

Dongwoon paused before answering and chose his words carefully, "Well, I checked and the open tryouts so far are Track and Field, Archery and Football."

"American Football?!"

Dongwoon nods.

"And Archery? Like with the bow and arrow?!"

He nods again.

"Aish," Jinhong sighs, "Yah, you really are an over-achiever."

"Earth to Jinny," Dongwoon starts, "Remember that I'm doing this just to get attention, once I win the bet I could drop out." He easily explains to her.

Jinhong wouldn't admit, but she forgot that he was doing this to win a bet.

"You just don't give up, do you…" She sighs.

And Dongwoon nods giving her a smile, "So don't you worry your pretty little head." Dongwoon tells her patting Jinhong on the head which she received with sour expression.

"Cut that out." She hissed as they entered their classroom and Dongwoon chuckled on his way to his chair right beside Jinhong's. Conveniently, Jinhong sat in between Dongwoon and Jamie for the Algebra class. So she always had someone to talk to whether it was to her right or left side.

"Jinny," Jamie called softly from her chair, "What's happening with you two? Are you mad at him again?"

Jinhong shakes her head, "Nah…he's just getting on my nerves."

"What is it?"

Dongwoon leans forward so he could speak to Jamie more audibly, "I'm trying out for more sports teams." He tells her simply.

"You're what?!" Jamie whispers loudly.

"I know, right?" Jinhong gives her best friend a look…

Dongwoon just shrugs, "Yah, what is it with you guys and me trying out for sports?"

"Well," Jamie started uncomfortably.

"You ." The 2 girls said in unison.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“The chicken’s already dead, pabo.”

In reply to Junhyung’s sarcastic comment, Gikwang just glared, stabbing at his poor chicken nugget even harder than the last time.

Junhyung raised an eyebrow at his actions. Gikwang wasn’t the type who glared. And the boy loved his chicken; there was no way he would mistreat it so badly without a reason.

“Gikwang, what’s up?” Jinhong, who had been staring over at Gikwang’s abuse-the-chicken show, asked, half-concerned and half-weirded out.

“Yoseob is what’s up,” Gikwang merely grunted in reply, stuffing what remained of the chicken nugget in his mouth and chewing ferociously.

The table was quiet for a moment.

“Where is Yoseob-hyung anyway?” Dongwoon asked, looking around the cafeteria. The fake maknae was nowhere to be seen, which was strange, seeing as he was usually first at the table, tray of desserts half-finished in front of him.

Not a sound was heard, save for Gikwang’s fork moving onto its next chicken nugget prey. Jamie looked over at Gikwang, who still looked put off, and then  hurriedly whispered something in Jinhong’s ear.

“Er... Gikwang?” The mentioned boy looked blankly at Jinny. “Didn’t you have third period with Yoseob?”

“Yeah.”

The rest of the table stared expectantly at the wifebeater-wearing boy, but he didn’t say anything more.

“And...?” Jinhong prompted.

“Did he say where he would be going after class?” Hyunseung asked.

Gikwang put down his fork and sighed, looking down. After a short pause, he glanced back up at the table again, looking absolutely heartbroken.

“WE-YOSEOB AND I- WERE G-GOING TO THE CAFETERIA AFTER THIRD, A-AND I WAS FLEXING AND WINKING AT THE GIRLS AS I PASSED, AND THEN-- A-AND T-THEN...!” Gikwang paused, pouting childishly and looking like he was about to cry.

Hyunseung was about to pat him comfortingly when Gikwang sniffled, and Hyunseung proceeded to move his chair right beside an annoyed-looking Junhyung.

“Not getting sick again,” Hyunseung mouthed to the group.

Jamie shook her head. She reached over and patted Gikwang on the arm. “Gikwang-oppa, what happened?” She asked kindly.

Gikwang looked at her with his puppy dog eyes. “T-Then, Gayoon-sshi actually said hi to Yoseob. A-AND THEN -- A-AND THEN GINA-NOONA--” Gikwang proceeded to bury his face in his hands.

“Gina-noona stopped and started talking to Yoseob.”

The entire table gasped dramatically.

“And they’re probably still talking!”

The entire table (yes, even Junhyung) gasped dramatically again.

“So Yoseob really is in the lead!” Jinhong exclaimed.

“I KNOW, RIGHT? I DON’T BELIEVE IT EITHER!” Gikwang moaned, laying his head on the table. “My plan was obviously the best out of all of ours...”

“You’re getting a little ahead of yourself there, buddy...” Hyunseung said, and Gikwang frowned at him.

“Yeah, hyung! Your plan’s too simple,” Dongwoon said. ‘And weird...’ he added mentally. “My plan, on the other hand--”

“--Is STUPID.” Jinhong deadpanned, cutting Dongwoon off from saying another word. Dongwoon frowned over at her, but Jinhong ignored him, turning to the group. “Do you guys know what he plans to do now?!”

“What does who want to do now?” A chirpy voice questioned from behind Gikwang.

The group turned to Yoseob, and Gikwang glared at the person standing behind him. “Oh, it’s you,” Gikwang said through gritted teeth, “the boy who stole the girls away!”

Yoseob just shrugged, his smile still planted on his face as he sat on the empty seat beside Gikwang. “Who wants to do what?” He repeated, looking at Jinhong curiously.

“Genius over here,” Jinhong began, jabbing a finger in Dongwoon’s direction, “wants to try out for more sports teams.” A sour look came across her face, and she shook her head.

Hyunseung tilted his head in confusion. “But the only tryouts left are...” he paused, trying to jog his memory, when something clicked, and he whirled his head around to stare, wide-eyed and disbelieving, at Dongwoon. “Football?! You’re going to try out for American Football?!”

“Right?! RIGHT?!” Jinhong exclaimed, flailing her hands around. She reached over and high-fived Hyunseung. 
“ON THE SAME FREAKIN’ WAVELENGTH, BUDDY!” She sat back down, only to stand back up, grabbing Jamie as she did do.


“Argh, I can’t even -- whatever your face, Son Dongwoon! Jamie, let’s go get some food!” And with that, Jinhong left, pulling a confused Jamie with her.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Junhyung raised an eyebrow. “Are you serious, maknae? Football?”

Dongwoon nodded. “And Archery, and Track and Field...” he told them.

“You’re kidding.”

“Aniya, hyung. I’m not.” Dongwoon said seriously. “Why do you guys always think I’m crazy if I try out for sports?” He wondered.

“Err...well,” Yoseob started uncomfortably. “How do we say this nicely?”

“You don’t have to,” Dongwoon sighed. “The girls already flat out said ‘you ’ to me...”

“Well, in that case...” Junhyung smirked.

“Yah! Don’t even start!” Yoseob warned Junhyung.

“Ah, gwenchanha, go ahead, say what you want, I can take it.” Dongwoon bravely said, steeling himself.

“You don’t have a single athletic bone in your body.” Junhyung said flatly.

“Yah! I think that’s a bit harsh to say, hyung.” Dongwoon complained.



"Aigoo, Dongwoon-ah!" Yoseob said. "Don't take it too hard! It's probably because we never see you actually playing sports."



"His lowest grade has always been for gym class…" Junhyung said bluntly.



"And he's uncoordinated." Hyunseung added.



"Plus he holds one of the lowest records in our class has for our sports activities…" Gikwang finished



Dongwoon pouted. "Some friends you are. I know I'm not that good, okay!"



"At least you’re trying!" Yoseob said encouragingly.

"So are you really serious about trying out for all those teams?"

“Yes, I am.” Dongwoon said frustratedly. “I don’t have a back-up plan.”

“There’s no stopping him. I know that already.” Jinhong said, putting her tray of food down as she arrives back to the table. Jamie arrived right after, holding a cookie (half of which Yoseob quickly snatched away).

“There’s no stopping who?” Doojoon asked as he arrives at their table as well. Jinhong, Jamie and Doojoon all sit on their seats at the same time.

“Doojoon-ah, where were you? You’re much later than usual.” Hyunseung said to the last member to arrive at the table.

“Oh, just, you know...taking care of business.” Doojoon answered smugly, secretively.

“Excuse me?” Junhyung raised an eyebrow.

“You dropped a bomb on Pearl Harbor?” Gikwang said, shock evident in his tone.

“This is so not appropriate lunch conversation.” Jinhong said, not yet touching her food.

“ANIYA! NOT THAT!!! You guys are so weird.” Doojoon yelled, kind of embarrassed.

“Oh, club things, then...” Hyunseung concluded.

“That’s correct.” Doojoon answered flatly. So much for mysterious Doojoon.

“Which club?”

That, I’m not saying.” Doojoon told them, opening his packed lunch,.“So! What were we talking about?”

The table was silent for a few seconds, then all together everyone chorused:

That we’re not saying.”

- - - -

Yoseob was diligently listening to his Science teacher talk about the trees that bordered the school. Their entire Science class was outside for the lesson. After explaining what they were to do for the class, the teacher sent them away, and Yoseob quickly got to work, jotting down notes about the school’s trees.

He was working at a steady and fast pace until he was distracted by excited chattering. Curious, Yoseob looked away from his notebook and started to look around, is eyes finally landing on a strange scene.

A crowd of girls were all standing around a certain spot, giggling and squealing in what seemed to be delight. And, even more curious than before, Yoseob walked over, to see what all the fuss was about.

“What’s happening?” He wondered as he approached them.

The crowd parted for him, and Yoseob’s eyes landed on what may have been the strangest, most disturbing sight he had seen in his lifetime.
It was none other than his lunch table seatmate, Lee Gikwang, in the process of removing his tight-fit shirt.



In public.

“In public?” Yoseob blurted out, and the entire crowd’s eyes (yes, even stripping Gikwang) turn to him.

Gikwang was pleasantly surprised to see his friend, even trying to wave at him while taking his shirt off. After he had gotten his shirt over his head and off his body, he turned towards Yoseob.

“Yoseob-ah! You’re here!” He chuckled. “What are you doing here?”

“Me? I have class.” Yoseob said in an annoyed manner. “What are you doing?! Don’t you have class?!”

“Free period,” Gikwang said brightly, not seeming to take notice of the many girls that were ogling his abs. “So I decided to go running!”

“With your shirt off.”

“It got a little warm!”

Yoseob stared, dumbfounded, at Gikwang, not seeming to understand his friend’s logic. Then, finally, Yoseob sighed.

“Run away, Gikwang.”

Gikwang, in reply, grinned and, after doing a few stretches (Yoseob swore he saw some of the girls stumble and go red), Gikwang was off, running laps around the track.

He was definitely a strange one.

All of Yoseob’s friends were.

Even Jamie. Because honestly, fearing mustaches?

Yes, all of Yoseob’s friends were weirdos.

“What’s all the commotion about--holy mother of pearl why is that gorgeous specimen running around the track half-?”

Yoseob quickly whirled around, smiling at his new friend, Hyuna Kim.

“Hey cutie pie!” Hyuna chirped, grinning at Yoseob. Yoseob quickly put his aegyo on its highest level, smiling and blinking cutely over at the girl. Behind Hyuna were her friends and fellow cheerleaders, Gina-noona and Gayoon-sshi.

“What was all the commotion about, Yoseob?” Gina-noona asked.

Yoseob sighed over-dramatically, which earned him giggles from the girls. “The half- ‘gorgeous specimen’ that’s currently running around the track  took off his shirt in front of the crowd a couple of moments ago.”

“Darn! I would’ve wanted to see that!” Hyuna grumbled. Yoseob laughed lightly.

“I’m guessing he’ll be running around for a while, so you can watch him still,” he said brightly.

“Yeah, but teacher won’t let us get anywhere near the track, so no close-ups,” Hyuna sighed, then shrugged. “Well! I’m making the best of it! Shuffle over, ladies! I’m getting as close as I can! Bye Yoseobie~! Talk to you later!”

Yoseob laughed as Hyuna started to plow her way through the crowd to get as close to Gikwang as she could without the teacher noticing, Gina and Gayoon right behind her.

At least they wouldn’t get close enough to ask Gikwang’s name.

‘Which means ... I’m still winning!’

- - - -

Gikwang, meanwhile, thought his plan was working out perfectly. Flashing a big grin at the ladies who were crowded near the track and inwardly smirking when some of them blushed, he suspected that word of him would be around the school the next day, and the girls of the ‘It Crowd’ would be coming up and asking him his name.

Stopping near the crowd of girls on purpose, Gikwang started doing his daily regime of pushups and situps, resisting the urge to laugh when he saw the girls’ reactions to his working out in front of them. Half-.

Deciding to work out at the beginning of high school was the best decision he had ever made.

The bell rang just as Gikwang had made his 70th pushup.

He smirked as he stood up and called it a day, "I'll be waiting for love calls any day now!" He says arrogantly and laughs as he grabs his shirt and returns back inside the classroom. A few girls even followed him back, just waiting to see what he'd do next.

"Sorry ladies," Gikwang said turning towards them as he reached the entrance of the hallways, "Show's over for today!"

The frowned and pouted and wore all sorts of disappointing looks. They whispered hastily to each other and decided to walk away from Gikwang.

"Y-yah!" He called after them in panic. The girls turned around, "Don't you want to know my name?" He asked them.

"Who cares?" They shrug, "You're muscle-oppa."

Gikwang could've melted into a puddle if he could.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

 

“That stupid YooDoo! What the hell does he think he’s doing, acting all secretive like this!” Jinhong snapped, crumpling the paper in her hands. "This probably why he was so late and being all secretive during lunch..."

It was already after school, and when she had opened her locker a few minutes earlier to get all of her homework before leaving for home, a note had fallen out.

Being the curious person she was, Jinhong read the note, which, she realized from the crappy handwriting, was from Doojoon.

“‘Come to Room 304 after school today. ALONE.’ WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN.” Jinhong kept up her complaining, throwing the crumpled note on the floor.

Junhyung rolled his eyes. “If he said to come alone, why are we going with you?”

“I didn’t ask you to come, .” Jinhong retorted, glaring over at him. “I only wanted Jamie to come. You just happened to be with her when I asked.”

Junhyung rolled his eyes again, but kept quiet.

Jamie, who had picked up the note and was now reading it, shook her head at both of her friends’ attitudes. It really was a love-hate relationship between the two; mostly hate, but still.

“But seriously Jinny. Why are we coming with you? Doojoon oppa wanted only you to go. Won’t he be mad?” Jamie asked, worried.

Jinhong just snorted, turning a corner and spotting room 304. “Whatever his life. He knows you’re with me all the time anyway. And I can just beat him if he tries to complain.”

“Jinny!”

Jinhong smirked, stopping in front of the room. “This is it.” She sighed heavily, trying to mentally prepare herself for whatever strange, creepy, and stupid thing was behind the door, when --

“I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO COME ALONE, JINHONG!”

Jinhong, Jamie, and Junhyung turned towards what was undeniably Doojoon’s voice. Doojoon was running towards them.

Jinhong was about to lash out at him, when she paused.

“Doojoon, why are you wearing those.”

Doojoon looked at Junhyung, obviously affronted. He pushed up his spectacles, glaring primly at the other male in the group.

“Is there a rule saying I can’t wear glasses?” Doojoon asked.

“If they end up making you look like an idiot, yes.” Junhyung drawled. Jinhong  snickered.

“I thought I looked pretty nice...” Doojoon murmured dejectedly.

The rest of the group stared disbelievingly at Doojoon, and, in unison, shook their heads.

“Why’d you make me come all the way to this room, YooDoo?” Jinhong asked, pointing to the door behind her. “And why’d you have to be so freakin’ secretive about it?”

“Well...” YooDoo began and started explaining his plan.

- - - - - - -

"DOOJOON! WHY are you trying out for chess?!" Jinhong asked exasperatedly. "I thought you wanted to become popular!"

Doojoon looked at her confusedly from his seat on one side of a table. "Doesn't our chess team like--"

"--No. Whatever you think they do, they DON’T.” Jinhong said, glaring at her stupid best friend. “The chess team will not help you become popular. Chess. .”

"I'm offended." Jamie pushed up her glasses, pouting. Her hand reached up to cling onto her Knight necklace. She liked chess; it was a fun game, and it most definitely did not .

"You're wearing a chess piece necklace?" Doojoon's eye twitched. He stared at Jamie, who started squirming and looking down.

"It was cute..." Jamie said quietly.

"Andcheap." Jinny coughed. Jamie glared at her, turning pink. The fact that she was cheap did not need to be told to the world.

Junhyung sat down at the table, opposite Doojoon. Bringing out a chess board from somewhere, he silently arranged the pieces, and then looked straight at Doojoon.

"Let's see what you've got, YooDooJoo." Junhyung smirked.

Doojoon grinned. “IT’S ON! Just to let you know, I’ve been studying up, and I’ve beaten my entire family at chess at least a dozen times--okay, they didn’t know how to play, but still--”

“Just move a piece so we can start already, YooDoo.”

- - - -

No one knew how good he really was it. He had told no one.

Except Jamie.

Unsurprisingly, Junhyung won the chess match.

"I JUST CAN'T WIN." Doojoon said dramatically. After having been checkmated by Junhyung, he rolled out of his seat and was now kneeling on the floor, over-exaggerating (as usual) his loss.

Junhyung just smirked, getting up from his chair and kneeling beside Doojoon. He raised a fist, and Doojoon spotted a ring with a crown that looked like it was from the Rook.

“Don’t underestimate chess dorks.”

Jamie and Jinhong were laughing loudly over Doojoon’s complete defeat in fifteen moves.

“I TAKE IT BACK!” Jinhong yelled in between her laughter. “CHESS. IS. AWESOME.”


ASDFGHJKL!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR US TO FINISH THIS CHAPTER. the laziness was amazing. beyond anything I've ever experienced! More than half the chapter was written by Octoberettes~~ LOLOLOLOLOL. But I'm still doing the author's note. I kinda went crazy with the visual aids this time around~ because~~well, it was just too fun.
What with the high-fiving, stripping and Doojoon wearing glasses! SO, SO, FUN! :D -Sapphire

vhjkk such a confusing chapter!!! -Ella
{sooooo many things going on in the chapter!! ;A; huhuhuhu}


TODAYYY ELLA BOUGHT OFFISH AMAZING KPOP MERCH!
*ahem*Fiction Photobook; 2PM Hands Up Special Edition* XD HAHAHAH
and my brother bought me a Doojoon photobook! I LOVE HIM <3333333 pwuahahahaha.