Chapter One: Yoo Doo Joo

The Popular Games

"WE NEED TO BE POPULAR."
 
Junhyung, Hyunseung, Yoseob, Dongwoon and Gikwang all stared blankly at Doojoon, who appeared out of nowhere and suddenly slammed his palm on their lunch table.
 
"What?" Junhyung asked flatly.
 
"Why?" Hyunseung wondered, looking curiously over at Doojoon.
 
"BECAUSE SOMEONE CALLED ME YOODOOJOO NOT LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES AGO!!!" The boy called 'YooDooJoo' fumed.
 
It was silent for 2 seconds, and then the 5 seated at the table burst out laughing.
 
"BWAHAHAHAHA! YOO. DOO. JOO!" Yoseob mocked, finding it completely hysterical.
 
"Yah! Doojoo hyung, are you eating with us?" Dongwoon asked cheekily.
 
YooDooJoo smacked the back of Yoseob and Dongwoon's heads.
 
"AISH! STOP THAT! It's not funny!" Doojoon complained.
 
"So why exactly do we need to become popular just cause someone called you the wrong name?" Gikwang asked as he stuffed his mouth with a piece of grilled chicken .
 
Doojoon looked over at the eating Gikwang "That's gross." He snorted. "And anyway, you're one to talk!" He accused him, "You were complaining for a whole week last time someone called you Lee Ji Kwang!"
 
"SHE WAS CHINESE!" Gikwang defended.
 
"Well you didn't know that and you were Mrytle for a whole week about it!!" Doojoon said snappishly.
 
"Yah, hyung, why don't you take a seat first?" Dongwoon suggested, patting the empty seat next to him.
 
Doojoon looked around the cafeteria and, seeing that he was the only one standing, blushed and awkwardly sat down in between Dongwoon and Junhyung.
 
The moment he sat down however, he hid his face in his hands and began to moan, "Why YooDooJoo?!" And even though it was muffled, the rest of the guys couldn't help but laugh.
 
Finally, YooDooJoo calmed down and tried again to suggest the idea to his friends.
 
"Come on guys, let's become popular!" Doojoon pleaded to the boys. "I can't take not existing!"
 
The guys stared at him blankly, though they were all thinking about what Doojoon said.
 
"I can't take being hopeless, awkward and desperate for…" Doojoon stopped himself before he said the last word.
 
"And what will we get out of becoming popular?" Hyunseung asked.
 
"Girls." Doojoon said smugly. "And being called the right name for once!" He added loudly.
 
"You really can't let that go can you?" Gikwang chuckled.
 
"No, I can't." Doojoon retorted immediately. "And neither can you!"
 
"Stop bringing that up! I'm over it!" Gikwang defended again, frowning.
 
"So you'll be okay when someone calls you JiKwang again?" Doojoon asked.
 
"I'm rarely called JiKwang, though..." Gikwang said, and then realized something. "Come to think of it…I'm rarely called anything…"
 
"See!" Doojoon said, sounding as if he won the jackpot. "That's what I'm saying!" He added, trying to convince the guys.
 
But the rest of them still didn't look interested. Junhyung had even stood up from the table to buy another can of Coke.
 
"That bastard." Doojoon mumbled when he saw Junhyung's empty seat. No one was still agreeing with him!
 
"How about a bet then!" Doojoon proposed fiercely.
 
The ears of the guys tingled at the sacred word 'bet'. Even Junhyung, who had come back looked up.
 
"Go on…" Dongwoon says, obviously interested.
 
"Well, I was thinking--" But Doojoon got cut off.
 
"Prize." Junhyung said suddenly.
 
"What?!" Doojoon looked taken aback, losing his train of thought.
 
"Prize." Junhyung repeated.
 
"Prize?" Doojoon cocked an eyebrow, still confused.
 
"PRIZE DOOJOON-AH! P-R-I-Z-E! PRIZE!" Yoseob yelled.
 
"Yah, hyung! How many times does Junhyungie-hyung have to repeat it?" Dongwoon said.
 
"What's the reward?" Hyunseung rephrased, for Doojoon’s sake.
 
"Rewa- OH! OHHH!" Doojoon exclaimed, finally realizing what Junhyung was asking. "The prize!"
 
"I think we've established that." Gikwang commented, stuffing another chicken in his mouth.
 
"What is that container, bottomless?!" Doojoon screeched.
 
"What the hell is your problem with me eating?!" Gikwang yelled back, laughing at Doojoon’s obvious annoyance.
 
"So, what's the prize?" Yoseob asked, genuinely curious.
 
"Yeah, I don't wanna put effort into something for absolutely nothing." Dongwoon added.
 
"Ditto." Hyunseung agreed.
 
"Exactly why I asked what the prize would be." Junhyung ended flatly.
 
"Yeah, okay! Let's discuss that!" Doojoon was just happy that there was a possibility of the guys agreeing to the plan.
 
"Okay, so I was thinking…" Doojoon started, "We could have a bet and see who from the 6 of us would become popular first…" He trailed off.
 
"And the winner?" Junhyung asked, not dropping the subject at all.
 
"I'm thinking!" Doojoon snapped. Then, after calming down, he said, "Suggestions, anyone?"
 
"Cookies for a month!" Yoseob chirped immediately.

"Nah, that's lame." Junhyung said, causing Yoseob to pout. "How 'bout money?"

"And where do you supposes we get cash?" Hyunseung argued.

"Slave work!" Gikwang suggested, earning him a smack on the head.

"No!" Doojoon disagreed. “Slave work is a NO!”

It was silent for a moment. And then --

 

"Free meals!" Hyunseung suggested brightly.


The rest of the group seemed to like that idea.

"Okay, free meals?" Doojoon said slowly.

"And free movies!" Yoseob piped in.

"Okay, free food and free movies -- for how long?"

"A month!" Gikwang said.

"When the year ends!" Dongwoon added.

"Yah! that's less than 3 months from now!" Yoseob whined, shoving Dongwoon.

"A year!" Junhyung said.

"For the rest of our lives!!" Yoseob said, eyes practically sparkling at the thought.

"How about the winner doesn't pay at all for his share every time we go out?" Dongwoon suggested.

"I like that." Junhyung nodded his head in acceptance.

"I like that, too." Hyunseung quipped.

"Okay, so every time we go out it's free?" Doojoon asked around, getting nods from everyone. "Okay! So, again, how long?"

 
After a long and arduous debate, they finally settled on a prize.
 
"Okay. Here's the prize. The winner of the bet does not have to pay for his share of food, movies or anything at all any time we go out, until we graduate our Senior Year of high school." Doojoon announced. "Deal? Good?"
 
"DEAL!" Everyone said, excited at the prospect of winning.
 
“Alright!” Doojoon yelled. "Let the games begin!"


Heyyy! It's SapphireSwoon :) Hope you guys liked our first chapter! Octoberettes is thee best editor and co-writer ever! (lol. cuz I've only ever worked with her XD) in any case~ I just wanna say, about Gikwang's nickname...

Hey it's SapphireSwoon here! XD Octoberettes is the best editor and co-writer, EVER!!! hahaha well, cuz I've only ever worked with her XD anyway!
Both of us are really having fun with this story, a lot of activities lined up in the coming chapters... :)
I just want to clarify something about Gikwang's name! :) His Chinese fans call him "Lee Ji Kwang" :D you can see it in their Radio Star interview. :) lol. there, just to clear things up!
Anyway! LEAVE US A COMMENT, GUIZE. ;D