F is for...

Alphabet

F is for...Fortnights

Kaibaek, Kai/Baekhyun

 

Once a fortnight, that's two weeks, Baekhyun has the perfect opportunity to sneak out of this prison like castle and go down town, where an afternoon market takes place. 

It's times like these that he forgets what he has to go back to, the mean words said behind his back by the staff and their angry faces, he didn't ask to be born into this family so please don't take your frustrations out on him. With his cloak hood covering his head and drapping over his eyes, he slowed his steps down, eyeing all the goods for sale. 

This including the yummy looking food. Baekhyun would almost, without a doubt buy a bun, still slightly warm from where it had been baked not too long ago. They were one of his favourites and to go an extra fortnight without one would be a crime. 

With a half eaten bun in one hand and a bounce in his step, Baekhyun was content with his life at that moment in time. No other place would he rather be than in the middle of the crowded streets of the fortnightly afternoon market. 

In the blink of an eye though, the bun fell out of his hand and he was being dragged to only god knows where. His eyes were wide and looking between the mysterious person hurrying him somewhere and his not quite yet forgotten bun lying on the dirty stoney ground. 

"Hey! I was eating th-"

"Shh, don't speak" 

Baekhyun's eyes crosed as he looked at the hand covering his mouth before they went up to the half hidden face of his kidnapper, technically he was. Baekhyun made a noise of discomfort, his words being muffled by the hand.

The taller boy looked down at him, seeing the narrowed eyes meaning he wasn't best pleased. 

"Sorry, but I think I saw some guards following you" The hand was removed and Baekhyun let his eyebrows raise in surprise, he was being followed?

"Oh, really?" The boy nodded, leaning down so he could whisper into Baekhyun's ear. 

"I think they were from the castle, are you wanted?" Baekhyun shook his head as the boy moved back. "No, I need to go, thanks" Baekhyun walked around the corner where they had been hiding and spotted his bun on the floor.

"Thanks for making me drop my bun on the floor" The pout on Baekhyun's lips could be heard in his voice.

"I'll buy you another one if you want" The offer was tempting but Baekhyun knew better, if the guards were out looking for him he needed to return as quickly as possible and that didn't mean after eating a bun and having a chit chat with an unknown male.

"I'll be visiting in a fortnight, buy me one then" Baekhyun made his way through the crowded street, rushing back in the direction of the castle, his home. 

The boy nodded his head to no one in particular, bending down and picking up the bun to place it on a nearby stall. 

"I'll most definitely buy you one in two weeks time"

 

"Baekhyun, have you forgotten that we have a special guest visiting us tonight? What where you doing out of the castle grounds?" The king didn't look best pleased, Baekhyun fidgeting on the spot in front of the older man.

"Uhm...I just wanted to go to the market..." Baekhyun pouted as the king shook his head, "I'm sorry father, for making you worry about me" 

"Go get ready for dinner, who is visiting tonight, Baekhyun?" The king spoke, Baekhyun's cheeks heating up as he remembered who was going to have dinner with them, "Well?"

Baekhyun clasped his hands together in front of himself, eyes fixed on the ground.

"...My fiancé"

"That's right, the next in line to the northern kingdom so you need to be on your best behavour Baekhyun, do you understand" Baekhyun nodded his head, bowing his head a little as he quickly made his way to his room.

Baekhyun's to get married soon, it doesn't bother him all that much but the fact that they haven't met each other is a bit worry some. What if the prince doesn't like him? What if Baekhyun doesn't like him?

Baekhyun tried to push the thoughts out of his head, no matter what he comes to think of the prince after tonight's dinner, he's still going to have to marry him.

 

When Baekhyun sat down at the table later that night, his heart stopped momentarily in his chest. There, sitting right in front of him was his 'kidnapper' from earlier, or rather the man that notified him that the guards were on his trail.

"...What were you doing in the market earlier?" The man whispered to Baekhyun from across the table, "What if something happened to you"

"I can ask the same to you!" Baekhyun whispered back, eyebrows furrowing as he stared at the nameless prince of the northern kingdom.

"I was doing the same thing you were doing" The prince smiled, no longer whispering, "I just wanted to see the market, but it seems it wasn't the only thing I saw" Eyebrows raised and the smile on the prince's face turned into a smirk.

"I saw my soon to be bride, and to think I didn't even know it at the time"

 

A hand tightened in Baekhyun's as he ran down the cobbled path, Jongin pulling him along and the two of them going inbetween the crowds of people. He bit on the fingernails of his free hand when they stopped, eyes landing on the food stall in front of them.

Baekhyun peeped his eyes up at Jongin, hands still intwined and listened to the laughter that left him as he spoke with the lady selling the baked goods. Baekhyun laughed a little too, lips trying to contain the smile hidden behind his hand.

"Pick one" Jongin motioned towards the stall, Baekhyun's hand moving away from his face to pick up a bun. He bit down on it, cheeks probably just as warm as the sweet treat.

"I did say I'd buy you one"