Chapter II A.

When Taeyeon Falls In Love

 

 

All my life, I’ve always been keen with my choices especially when it comes to my future. Its not that, I’m futuristic, don’t get me wrong but when I was still a kid, I had always wondered what would become of me when I grow old. I dream a lot. A dreamer since then, yes, I revert to fantasy and sometimes, when reality is too much for me to load, unconsciously, I merge my dreams into reality and I become blinded from everything. Wrong choices. I’ve made a lot. Wrong choices. Bad decisions. Yes, I had them. But they kind of showed me the right way and they kind of help me know myself more, so I guess, they were never wrong. I mean, at the very least.

So I will take this trip as an opportunity to know myself more. Learn. Change. Dream. The basic things. The moral of the story. The lessons. Lessons. When I was in second grade, my English teacher asked us, each of the students to write in a piece of paper what we would like to become in the future and my classmates had written that they wanted to be a doctor, painter, teacher, you know the basic professions and arguably I answered— “bird”. My teacher asked me why I wanted to be a bird and I told her that, because I wanted to fly freely around the world, because above there are no rules but over here there are rules and so my classmates busted into laughter.

I know for my answer back then was ridiculous but sooner you will realize how right my answer was.

 

***

 

I see Kate, Kyla and Bea waving at me. I looked around, one last final gaze at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and stopped stare at my three friends who were still waving at my direction for I don’t know how long it is. Kyla was signalling me to go inside the departure. I smiled at them, mouthed the words ‘I love you’ and bid my farewell as I can finally ease my presence away from my friends.

The first crazy thing that had happened was in the plane. A sign. An indication. A grandma for about sixty years old sat before me as I was situated in the window seat and as I stare pass outside the window there was a sudden underlying feeling that I had been dreading since the moment I signed the contract with Geuk. An underlying suspicion for myself.

“Are you okay, miss?”

The flight attendant raised her eyebrows. She might’ve thought I was one of the overreacting passengers who get nauseous when flying.

“Sorry, I feel not okay… I’m going to the restroom.” I said.

The old woman, who was sitting next to me, stared at me with wonder.

I followed the flight attendant’s lead and gave my thanks for her consideration. I entered the restroom and felt disoriented, perplexed and confused. I don’t know exactly the right definition of what I’m feeling. I open the faucet and let my hands brush the cold water. I gingerly breathe in and out and stared at the mirror doubtingly. Doubts had pooled every hope I had for myself as I can feel the vibration of the plane, we must’ve entered in a cloud. What am I doing? Am I doing the right thing? What if there’s nothing in there and I was just blinded by some indications that I can prove something to myself and all the people who tore me apart. This could lead me to danger.

There was no way for me to jump out of the plane and go home tear the long letter I’ve made to my mom and grandma then hugged them tightly asking for their forgiveness for I was tormented by my own satisfaction.

I sighed, closing off the faucet as I decided to head in my seat. I sat as if I threw myself in it and the old woman again for about sixty years old stared at me. Though, I didn’t mind.

I kept reminding myself that I’m doing this to learn— to find myself— to follow my dreams. I kept reminding myself how much I’ve spent money for this opportunity how much I’ve waited for this evening and by two o’clock in the morning reality will welcome me in Incheon. A lump had formed in my throat that I couldn’t breathe properly. Yeah, ain’t easy leaving my family alone. Ain’t easy travelling alone in a country that is not familiar with me.  Facts bringing nervousness back to life that I’m alone or even a tourist to a country that is far from my reach and I had a nobody the only defences I have are courage and my pinned up allowance. The people might discriminate me the people might—

“You’re afraid.” I heard the old woman’s voice. Thankfully disturbed my pessimistic thoughts.

I looked at her but her gaze seemed lost outside the window; the sky was calm and forlorn dark blue. Stars were shining brightly like glitters or in my naive mind, it looked like tears. Had the sky mimic my own thoughts? Had the stars been reading in every emotion my face had drawn? Perhaps, in a way I must have united with it.

Not long when I realized her eyes are now directing to me, “I am very well amaze of how high you’re fighting spirits.”

“What?” I muttered silently. She was peculiarly bizarre.

“You’re going in Seoul to fulfil your ambition, is it?”

And that’s when my throat closed.

“H-how did you know?” I steeled myself.

“Sorry if I freaked you out,” She said with her eyes glowering at me. You’re a hundred percent freaky granny ‘cause I was just momentarily thinking about these negative thoughts in my head and someone here who’s sitting beside me totally gagged up my defences.

So I muddled my expression begging for further explanation.

“I’m kind of a fortune teller but deep down I’m a future teller,” She said then ruptured into laughter. Her laugh seemed to mimic my grandmother’s.

Yeah, right. I can buy these falsehoods if I weren’t this desperate I would transfer to another seat. No doubting. So I had to keep myself interested. There’s nothing to lose anyway.

She mirrored me face to face and her wrinkles all over her face had shown how tired looking she is. Or how the trials she have been through created those big circles around her watery eyes, they say old people make wisdom in the course of their encounters in life.

“Darling, the answer isn’t always bravery,” She paused and looked outside the window again. “Sometimes, taking the risk isn’t always the best idea.”

Oh this is interesting, “You mean, what I’m doing is wrong? I just left my family and they don’t know that I’m… taking risks just to achieve my… ambition.” Even to me saying it, sounded ridiculous.

“No,” She pressed and shook her head, “Darling, what you’re doing is right. I’m talking about your future.”

“And?”

“And your future will tear and confuse you into two paths.”

Seriously. “Two paths?”

“It’s not going to be easy.”

Okay, what the hell is she talking about.

She continued, “You will be in a rough path once you enter the world of your ambitions.”

“My whole life has been a rough path—”

She interceded me and said very vital answers that sooner I will realize how right she was.

“You will meet someone and soon fall in love,” She paused and I don’t know if I was imagining but I see her eyes twinkle for one splitting moment just like the stars outside the window, “But it’s going to be hard and painful and at the end you’re going to choose one.”

She said with a hiccup at the end and soon arranged herself to sleep for the remaining hours of our flight. Well if you ever had this kind of conversation with a complete stranger, I assume that you won’t find yourself sleeping for the whole night. I’d be lying if I say it didn’t scare me.

 

 

***

 

Hours had passed as we finally landed in Incheon.

This beyond excitement. It’s different. When I was five years old, my uncle who I consider as my dad brought me at the famous carnival in the city. I felt like Alice in Wonderland. Surroundings are new. Environment is different. My innocent eyes were drawn to every colourful thing that I come across with and I had like millions of questions at my uncle to every new thing I see. The curiosity of the child never ceases. That, beside the point is the excitement that envelops me and now, after so many years, I’m feeling it over again.

South Korea, my new carnival. How exciting is that?

Unfortunately, I’m not a tourist in here. I’m not here for a vacation. Geuk. I remember the instructions of Geuk very clearly that I can almost see it visible in front of my eyes. First, I am be escorted by a concierge named Park Jung Woo, that he would welcome me in the waiting area. He knows my face, I suppose, right? I won’t be looking stupid in my first arrival to a new country that I’m not knowledgeable of and starts wandering around the Incheon Airport finding that Jung Woo guy for all I know there are probably like hundreds of Jung Woos in the airport.

I got my handbag and finally went down the stairs, I looked around me or where my eyes wishes to travel and if you can possibly see my surprised face you’d be laughing in front of your laptop. Because I had, my eyes wide open that it could pop out anytime and my lips were terribly wide open. I was embarrassing to look at. And the Korean guy behind me nudged my back gathering my every lost senses at once.

The second thing I felt when at last I stirred awaken from my ignorance was the shocking coldness. It was still winter. So my face was rapidly covered with cool air my nose was still chaste with this weather I could hardly breathe. This was torture. I wrap my arms around me as I hid half of my face beneath the red scarf around my neck.

I made my way to the arrival area and examine all the faces of the people who I passed by, few people were waiting outside, others were walking anywhere but one thing creeps me out was that, these Korean people sure looks the same. It was hard to differentiate their faces.

If you may excuse my understandable ignorance because I am newbie in here and it’s my first time to travel in another country, I could just remain to where I am standing and admire how outstanding Incheon Airport look like far from all the airports in the Philippines and it pained me to compare it. Incheon is breath-taking. Mesmerizing. Enrapturing. Am I overreacting? Well, I’m not. Because Incheon Airport is actually listed as one of the top airports in the world. And they have the right to be.

I was at the arrival area, roaming around the vicinity, spotting few reunited families and couples who looked like they have been away from each other for a long time and the expression of their faces were joyous enough also to let me feel the warmness of long absences in the course of their indebted time. I smiled as I tear my eyes away and looked beside me and, again, spotted a kid, his two front teeth missing with his arms spreading as he glided making his way to a man, I guess, that his father.

Where is that guy, anyway?

Until, a tall guy was looking at my way he was standing with all those people who were waiting for their loved ones in the arrival section, he was holding a folder and opened it to check for something then he looked back at me then he looked at the white folder again. Finally, after all the looking and checking, he made his way to me and I’m guessing his the Jung Woo guy.

I don’t know if I should smile or bow or beg for his indulgence. This feels so surreal.

I stood up and bowed at him 90 degrees, and I could feel the chilliness dumped in my face as I was still bowing so low at him. To my dismay a chuckle, escape from his lips.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” I said in the most polite way.

My first phrase ever. Can you believe that? Me? Speaking in Korean?

He was a worried looking guy, his miniature eyes were the normal looking for a natural born Korean, he has numerous pimples on his cheeks with his deflate nose. He is tall, he tower almost everyone who passes behind him although he’s somewhat skinny with his American suit almost slacking off his body.

“Ye, annyeonghaseyo. Don’t worry, I speak in English.”

I sighed sensing that he definitely knows what I was feeling.

“How was the flight? I read it’s your first time.” He asked, as he started to walk a signal that I should follow him.

Read? Uh, so first times thingy is included in my biography. I rolled my eyes feeling irritated. Why is it included anyway?

“Great.” I answered candidly.

I followed him while I pull my baggage with me, I was behind his back two steps away, but he stopped and waited for my body to position beside his.

He understood it right away what my ‘great’ means, sarcastically, ‘cause he laughed afterwards. Occasionally, he would check his watch until we arrived in a Ford car without uttering any more word. He opened the passenger’s seat as I entered and it made me feel thoroughly uncomfortable.

Are we on a date or something?

“Uh, where are we going?” I begun. My voice cool and light.

He turned the wheel to the left side, “Oh yea, here’s your schedule for the whole week—” He handed me the folder he was holding a while ago with my name written on the lower left side of it. “and Mr. Choi Eunhyuk, your supervisor is going to meet you on 9 am at his office.”

“How am I able to know the way at the Company?”

The sudden disturbance of the nervousness intensified to the point that I had forgotten the places that were new to my eyes. I took off my attention away from the window and waited for his answer.

“Ji Eun, your roommate will go with you later. You can ask anything from her, she’ll guide you.” He answered wryly, without looking at me.

“Does she know how to speak in English?”

He then looked at me, or maybe even stare for like a long second and I can’t barely stare back at his face so I ruffled my hair pretended that the whole situation isn’t getting awkward. He should understand I’m only nineteen years old, an ordinary girl who travelled all the way here with no consent from my parents and scarcely this small amount of money is all I have.

“And that’s why they chose Ji Eun to be your roommate, she’s good in English.”

He finally said. Precisely the thoughts I had the previous night had been right. I smiled unsurely.

“And she’ll tutor you in Korean, they won’t afford to lose more money in hiring a tutor.” He added.

Now I’ve realized that I’m going to be the pain in their asses. This language barrier would put me into trouble.

It was already past 3am when we arrived at a building that I can only guess is where I’m going to live. And as much as I want to let my eyes explore the beauty of Seoul as we passed through those different places earlier the heaviness of my head was trapping my five senses. I could just bang my head in the windowpane to wake me up.

He got my baggage in the compartment, uttered our goodbyes, thanking him for the great help that I don’t deserve his kindness. I kept bowing and bowing until my neck hurts and do everything to make his pride secure or perhaps because this is their proper culture. In the Philippines, we don’t actually bow if we say thank you, goodbyes and say our thank you in the most polite way we’ve dared living with our everyday customs to have applied the modernized culture of the American civilization. Then I admire how Koreans are still enabling their traditional culture despite all these modernized technologies and lifestyles spreading from every country.

He finally gave my room key card. I finally own a condo unit. For the mean time. But still, it made my heart swell. He said the room is four flights up.

Upon the elevator had whisked two flights ahead, I unconsciously dragged my feet and led my way to the room no. 205, with confidence I slid the key card and the door noisily unlock. I grabbed the doorknob and my confidence melting away wondering as to why am I even feeling nervous to meet my new roommate. My stomach tightened. The next I knew, I was already standing in the threshold and saw a girl with her curly brown hair moving around her face as she glided all the way to where I’m standing.

“Omo!”

She looked surprised as though she saw ghost.

“Hi! Wow! You’re really pretty!” She said cheerfully with her round little eyes getting bigger, and helped me slip out my coat and my boots.

Her hair , about as tall as I am. She wore a black eye glasses and her skin is pallid making her look like she’s suffering from a cancer or particularly leukaemia. Although her features are, well not perfect but placed in the right angles and sizes. She has a good body mature enough for her age not petite or y maybe somehow in between there, wait there’s a definition for that, ah... yes. Appealing. If she just could show it off with overflowing confidence then it would let the world show how appealing she is. Pitiful woman. Appealing but covered.

Sometimes, it makes me frustrated of how the people get insecure with other ‘beautiful’ people because they think that they can never be or fit in with the admired celebrities around the world when the truth is they can. I mean, hey girl, you’re beautiful but you yourself are covering it. You don’t cover. You show it. Beautiful is effortless, yes, it’s true there are people who are born beautiful but what about the others? Look let’s be frank not everyone is born to have like Song Hye Kyo’s features or Jung Jessica’s body. If you’re born ugly, would you choose to sit down, do nothing and keep in mind that you are restricted to wear a Chanel lipstick just because your lips is too ugly-too small-big or dishevelled? No. This is just like me. I was born poor. Would I just sit down and admire my friend’s newest phone and die of jealousy because I will never have one? Would I just remain admiring things forever? Would I just imagine? I dared dreaming and I have to make it happen. Now you see how I managed to be in Seoul because I made it happen. You have to effort in things ‘cause we both know, that you can make a difference in the world, being beautiful is about confidence. Drop down the insecurities and apply confidence within your self-esteem.

It’s about confidence, my friend. So, go, wear Chanel lipstick and bath yourself with Dior perfume.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” I bow a little, I couldn’t bend my neck anymore. It grew painful because of the plenty of bows I did earlier with the Jung Woo guy. I was trying hard to stop myself from massaging the back of neck.

Her smile is very comforting. She reminded me of my friends back in Manila, there were times that I wanted to chop their mouths for using it as much as I hated the words that were coming out. But I’d rather have them as the way they are than live with someone who have doubts with me.

“Come here let me show you you’re new room!”

And then she excitedly pulled my baggage instead of I, pulling it. Finally, she led us to our room. It was bigger than I’d imagine that gives me a good impression of having a good sleep every single night. The bed was queen size, exactly the way I wanted, a balcony that I haven’t checked yet, a flat screen TV, two lamp shades guarding both sides of the bed and all the way to our restroom is a dresser and closets.

She then put my baggage near the closet and pulled my hand as we both sat down on the bed.

“You’re so pretty, I cannot believe it.”

She sounded like she was expecting me to be ugly.

“You are, too.”

I said in the most convincing way, apparently, I was sleepy so I don’t know if it was convincing enough because her answer was this:

“Hah. That’s funny.” And her voice was 100% sarcastic, see what I mean? Then she continued, “Before anything else, I’m Han Ji eun and I know you’re Danielle Javier and Supervisor Eunyuk would totally be strict once he sees you!”

Her Korean accent was clear as the water. But I can understand the words.

Strict?

“You fit in girl groups, you know. Why did you choose this job, anyway?”

“There’s like a lot of reasons but on my account, I really wanted to be a manager or like the bosses of under great stars.”

Well my first choice was manager until I became into something bigger and surreal. Although I’m free to choose what field I like the most but Geuk who would re-think my choice if the domain that I chose is adequate for me. For example, if I choose to be a manager, of course I’m not right away be in training for that position. I have to suffer first. There are many jobs that a trainee should fulfil but that depends on who is the supervisor under the field that a trainee had chosen. If the supervisor says I’ll be assisting the professional managers in SM entertainment, I’d have to do it. If the supervisor instructs that I’d have to monitor the rookies under YG entertainment I’ll do it.

If I have finished all the orders of my supervisor and that includes without giving headache to Geuk Corporation. Right away, I’ll be in training for personal assistant and that continues for the last sector; and that is training to be a manager. Unlike with Kpop rookies and trainees, they have to endure for five or more years to be an Idol, us trainees are trained from one to two years only.

“We’re all here for that actually. Have you eaten?”

“Yes.”

“Have you read the pamphlet?”

“Pamphlet?”

She squinted at me. Scrutinizing. “Yeah? Geuk’s Pamphlet?”

What is she talking about?

“Ah. I haven’t finished yet.” I’m pretty much a good liar.

“You haven’t finished it?!”

“Why? Is that important?”

She shot her eyes at me. “That important? Of course it is! How are you able to work in Geuk if you know nothing about the company?”

“I’ll finish it tomorrow.”

“The rules,” She her head to one side, “Have you read the rules?”

“No killing?” I asked.

She blinked at me.

I chuckled, “Just kidding. Of course, I have. Duh.”

Oh, puh-lease.

I’m in a jetlag mode and that I needed sleep. And the bed is giving me a prominent sleeping temptation plus the cold weather, indubitably if my roommate is as quiet as Seohyun, I’d surely be in the slumber means.

“So you met Jung Woo right? He’s going to be your handler from now on, he’s in charge of you so please I must tell you, don’t do stupid things or else he’ll get fired!”

Ooooooh my. I don’t know what to freak out first. If that awkward guy would be like with us 24/7 or Ji eun’s terrible English accent. It was hard to open my ears for it felt like vomiting.

So she went on;

“Tomorrow, you are to be introduced to Mr. Eun hyuk and I assume that you know him, right?”

"Yes, my supervisor. I’ve—” I rolled my eyes discreetly, “Jung Woo?”

“Jung Woo is your handler not—”

“What I meant is Jung Woo told me about him while we were inside the car.”

She exhaled. She looked relieved. Told you, I’m going to be the pain in the .

“You have to wake up 8 am later...”

Yeah, right and we’re not yet sleeping.

“And the trainees are so...”

“You must know that...”

“A trainee is not allowed to have a special relationship with a celebrity...”

“Jamie you can’t mingle celebrities, okay?”

Therefore, she was talking for like thirty freaking minutes. Until, I found myself falling asleep without changing my clothes off.

 

 

***

 

 

Sun came when I was welcomed by a piercing chant right through my ears. I opened my eyes by the thought of the unit was on fire or perhaps it was just Ji eun’s voice firing up my eardrums. Millions of ceilings as the realization hit me. Damn. Jetlag. I massaged my forehead and I still couldn’t believe that I’m now in Seoul.

Most mornings, the heat— the unwelcoming greeting of the weather is what makes me feel alive and comforting. The heat. A sign. Normal days for me to get up and go to school. Days where I feel nothing out of ordinary. It’s the weather that irritates me but still a sign that I’m around the vicinity in my comfort zone. My home. And now, the first time I woke up today, the weather is very welcoming, cold and cosy makes me feel the exact opposite to those normal days. This is different. Great weather but uncomforting. I know that I’m not in my comfort zone. Strike one. A new country.

“Good morning, yeppu!”

“Were you like shouting?” I asked, with a sigh.

“Yes. We don’t want to get you late in your first day in front of Mr. Eunhyuk’s presence right?”

I hadn’t eaten breakfast because it was already past eight o’clock and Ji eun had to run some errands this morning with her co-trainees. We agreed to see each other after the meeting with Mr. Eunhyuk the supervisor under the trainees for managers. Ji eun had stated everything from the direction to where will we meet.

When I first saw Geuk Entertainment, I thought it was a hotel or something greater than a five star hotel, the floor was marbled black with highlights of gold and silver veined all through everywhere. It stood fifty-two floors and was spacious like a museum. My head was moving from left to right or up and down admiring the intricate complexion of the walls that I am going to spend seeing all my life. It was a remarkable sight. Men dressed in American suits and some even in tuxedo like they are going to attend an imperative party and the women are dressed in fine and elegant dresses— though they don’t all look beautiful but each of them has grace and poise that betrayed the Kpop Idols that I’ve admired. The environment was enough to make me feel unwelcome. Not a single soul had even dared looking at me, minding their own businesses, walking and chatting with their co-workers and the sight was disheartening. I feel so lost. So left out. But I won’t let my confidence deflate. I won’t. I snapped to my senses right away, where am I going? Jung Woo said, he’ll be waiting in the lounge area.

I scan the huge lounging area as I notice men forming a circle while conversing and I learned that they were all concierge or we call it handlers. You must learn that, remember the Jung Woo guy who fetched me at the airport? Well I am under him, he was my trainer/handler. He held like eighteen trainees at that time and I was one of them. Needless to say that there were more than thirty handlers including Jung Woo and all of them were in different fields some were handling the trainees for the directors others are in supervisors or stylists... etc.

Jung Woo came running towards my direction as he found me walking at the elevator and stood before me. He was still wearing his suit earlier in the airport. Still, he seemed clean.

“Annyeong,” He said hastily. “Sir Eunhyuk’s waiting.”

Then the doors of the elevator opened with a ‘ting’ sound and made all willpower within my insides lost. I can never say I was excited about what’s happening, I was apprehensive in many ways and my knees were trembling.

Mr. Eunhyuk’s office was the biggest office I’ve ever seen in my entire life, it was even bigger than our unit. There was a rectangular portrait hanging behind him, a bluish-red frog jumping into the pond. I looked around and stared at a wooden cabinet but later on, I learned that it was a metallic dark gold volt pasted on the wall. A black and white leather couch on our left side. And some fashion magazines on the wooden table. Other than that, there were no things present inside his office aside from the volt and his obviously glass table that was very huge for a very short man with short shoulders like him. He stood no more than taller than I did and he doesn’t look like the adviser of the managers’ department. He doesn’t look like a boss for me at all. He looked like somewhere between a construction adviser with his dishevelled black suit and his tie, worn out. Funny thing is, the people that I saw earlier seemed to look more in a higher position than he is.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” I said, politely. Bended my back as if I can fold my body into two.

I hear the two of them conversing in Korean. And some of the words I can understand and Jung Woo was kind of explaining something about documents and ‘time’ until I learned that Mr. Eunhyuk was referring to me.

“You’re two minutes and forty six seconds late, Ms. Javier.”

When I heard him speak, I was shocked like I stepped on a poop. He perfectly spoke in English differently from the way he looked like. He sounded like an American attorney with his accent. As far as I’m concerned, Koreans have a terrible time learning to speak in English and most of all when it comes to diction and pronouncing the words properly. But this man in front of me, change my perceptions. I later learned that he grew up in Seattle, Washington. He had a reason.

“I slept five o’clock this morning, Sir. I’m sorry, Sir. It will not happen again.” I lowered my head a little not to meet his gaze.

“I hope not. I certainly hope not.”

Was he threatening me? Uh-oh he definitely was because he was trying to strike me eye to eye. Being late is defining unprofessionalism.

“Sit down.”

He cleared his throat and sat, his legs crossed with intimidation.

“Welcome to your new school.” He smiled without his teeth showing, “I think I am more excited for you than you do, you don’t look like you’re enjoying your first day in here, is it?”

Well, duh, you’re supposed to ask me that at the end of the day. My day hasn’t even started.

“I am more of anxious and nervous, somewhere in between.”

“So you’ve met Ji Eun, how’s she?”

What kind of question is that?

“She’s fine.”

 

And then both of them laughed.

“You will do great things, you will. I can see that. Terrible terrible terrible great things.” He meant the word ‘terrible’ lucidly. I don’t know what ‘terrible’ means for him. I hope it’s not the real meaning in the dictionary. I hope he has his own dictionary, like I do.

Jung woo looked at me with words written in his expression.

“So—” He placed his interlaced fingers on the table and looked at both of us. “I’m expecting you to have read your schedule for the whole week, right? Did you?”

Oh, crap. I forgot.

“Yes, I did sir.”

Bear with me for I have to lie.

“Yes? Okay, tell me your first errand for the day.”

I gulped, nervous, anxious. I couldn’t breathe. What was it? And this was my answer.

“Meeting you, Sir Eunhyuk.”

He laughed again. The awkward laugh. “A very clever answer for a clever girl, eh?” His voice was faraway like he was too old for his age. He sounded alike the people who had lived in the 17th century.

Sir Sam Choi?

“Have you read the rules and regulations?”

Thank God, he didn’t ask more about the schedule thingy. I would absolutely abduct my head at the Han River just to avoid this judicial embarrassment.

“Yes, sir.”

He nodded, “I’d just like to repeat the last most important rule,” He flashes his eyes at Jung woo who has his self-reserved then sweeps at me.

“You are not allowed to date a celebrity.”

Okay, firstly. I am not a flirt. I was never a flirt. Secondly, I didn’t go here to date celebrities, I came here to reach my dreams and thirdly, there is no way that a celebrity will like me. For heaven’s sake, there are hundreds of beautiful celebrities in the country and that I have no match with.

“I’m not interested in dating, Sir. I’m here to achieve what I am ordered to do.”

I said, I thought it was the safest answer.

He became serious and looked at me, “Anyway—” He glanced at Jung Woo and back at me, “for a beginner like you, there aren’t so much work to be done actually, as you see we’re still on the last quarter so basically everything is already highlighted… you’re first order…”

He trailed his voice and slides a folder to me with papers inside. Should I get it? I looked at Jung Woo for a confirmation and he thankfully nodded. I got it, placed it on my lap and turned to Sir Eun Hyuk anticipating for his unfinished sentence.

“Well, you’re first order is to clean.”

Clean. “Clean?” Clean?

“Yes, it’s the work of a personal assistant but this one is lighter. You don’t have to worry.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t worry. This is one’s easy. You don’t have to work everyday.”

“Well the minority of the trainees are on—”

“But that—” he cleared his throat, “is already full. We can’t squeeze you in.”

My frankness again. “I’m sorry, Sir.”

“You’ll start next month.”

“Okay, sir.”

“And you’ll be meeting some of the advisors in Managing department, later.”

A short silence wrapped the three of us. But he suddenly stood up while Jung Woo followed and so did I.

“So, Jung Woo will show you around and I want you to be here tomorrow 9 am sharp.”

I gave the most polite bow again like I was folding my back into two, then I followed Jung Woo at the door when suddenly I heard Eunhyuk’s voice behind me.

“Please don’t be late again and please check your schedule for today ‘cause I know you didn’t.”

I stared at him, with my eyes wide open no blinking.

 

 

***

 

 

Jung Woo had toured me from the cinematography section, advertising section, writers’ section, entertainment section and of course my field; managers’ section. The whole venue of each section was as big as a theatre; I was very fascinated. The cinematography section was the biggest of all; the future directors, photographers, computer specialist, cartoonist or suchlike connected to cinema were studying there, so the space had to be drudgery. Ours, were so and so, it was a place just enough for us managers and besides we won’t be spending our time in the section. It’s like were going to be tourists, travelling from entertainment to entertainment, working under SM entertainment, YG entertainment and so on and so forth. Familiarizing the background of each company and assisting rookies who are going to debut. Interview was one of our tasks to perfect. But, it’s not going to happen right away, it’s a step by step process.

The first step, well, as what we all heard from Sir Eunhyuk was to clean, he was right about there’s nothing much to do because almost all the jobs were already taken by my co-trainees. Anyway, what was my first job? To clean. Yes. Clean. First of all, I am not going to be a janitress in Geuk. I know what your silly brain is thinking. I am not going to clean the restrooms, sinks and toilet bowls. It’s a grandiose cleaning. The kind of cleaning when you don’t feel any laziness creeping in your body. We’re all lazy. Human beings are naturally lazy. Especially that of teenagers. And I’m still a teenager. Who would want a work that involves cleaning, washing, mopping and whatsoever? No one. But this one is different. A job that is rare, which makes it even special. The kind where you’re going to wish that its you in my position. And when YG entertainment and SM entertainment opened for a possible dorm cleaner, Sir Eunhyuk included my name right away. Wait? Huh? Must be the question right now.

I’m going to clean a certain boy group and girl group’s dorm.

A dorm cleaner.

I bet you wouldn’t turn down cleaning a certain superstar’s unit or dorm? Is it?

My handler, Jung Woo told me all the things that I needed to know about being a dorm cleaner not that I don’t know how to clean, I mean I’m perhaps the laziest girl on Earth but washing the dishes of a certain Kpop Superstar, that, I’ll make an exception. Therefore, he gave me three papers in a brown envelop that held the rules which dismayed my thoughts. I obviously thought that I was free to take a picture with the Kpop Idols in the unit or the dorm that I am ordered with.

It’s written in upper case.

 

  1. A DORM CLEANER IS PROHIBITED TO TALK WITH A CELEBRITY IN OR OUT OF THE UNIT/DORM.

 

And the last was:

 

          Z.   A DORM CLEANER IS PROHIBITED TO WORK IF A CELEBRITY OR CELEBRITIES ARE INSIDE.

 

So the two in form in upper case sentences drastically killed every possibility of I, having a souvenir with all those lovely people.

The other rules were these; no eating in the dining table, no rearranging the appliances, no talking with a friend, no stealing, no using of clothes and etc. I was stifling my laughter while I was reading the rules.

Now that we’re inside his office, after a very long discussion of what I think are all, unnecessary for me to know. I managed to gather my courage and asked the dorm/s on my relation. He answered me with a very worrying look and it made clear that he doesn’t have to effort in looking that way, if you can remember that this Jung Woo is a worry looking person, his eyebrows almost bridging all together.

“Big Bang.”

What?

Big Bang?

It felt like his words banged severely through my heart.

Right away, I dissipated every exciting emotion within me for he was all over the table, catching where my eyes would land.

“Boy Group.”

Like, okay fine. I’m going to arrange their clothes and stuffs like what? Their briefs?

Brief.

G-Dragon’s brief.

That was ert. Was I being ert? So I was like telling you that I’m not a flirt, awhile ago. And here I am thinking about briefs.

“Yes. Boy groups.”

“Boy groups.”

He repeated it again. Why are these people being so dramatically over thinkers? I mean, would all these boys me? When it was written in the freaking rules that a dorm cleaner isn’t allowed to enter in their place while their inside? These people giving me headaches. Then I had to understand, that Koreans are utterly indescribably conservative.

“They’re not gays, right?

I changed the topic and I didn’t know what got into my mind to jumped into that sensitive topic.

He looked at me and raised his eyebrows altogether.

“Gay is a definition of like being happy.”

I waited for him to answer but he just shrugged it off. He didn’t understand what I just said.

“You’re going to start next month.”

“Yes.” I tried not to show my excitement but I failed.

“Remember the rules.”

I nodded, “Yes,”

He sighed, “Danielle, you must understand, if this would happen again it’s going to be the end of the whole company.”

What? I furrowed my eyebrows. “Wh-what? Happen again?”

“You’ll learn it soon.” He sighed again.

It wasn't until later when I learned everything. A curse that had unknowingly passed to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

This chapter is best if paired with the next chapter. I had to cut it for lengthy reasons, so basically this is quite unfinished.

And sorry for the typos. Lol

Chapter II B is on its way.