Only One -- Vien1103

Shinhwa 16th Anniversary One-Shots

TITLE: ONLY ONE

AUTHOR: Vien1103

PAIRING: Ricsyung

GENRE: slight angst, romance

WARNINGS: traumatic incident and accident.

DISCLAIMERS: i as author only own the plot and story

SUMMARY: When Eric had to choose one between both of them. When Eric had to decide who's had to stay. Jung Pil Kyo or Shin Hye Sung. because two can forever in one body.

 

 

 

Only One …

                                                                                                                Story By : Vien1103

 

 

I was very surprised when I heard the news. How could it happen? This evening he was still with me. And he was completely fine.

I drove my car to the hospital as quickly as possible. The place where he currently resides. The hospital contacted me, told me something had happened to him. But what is really going on until he had to be in the hospital?

When I got there, I went straight to the front desk to ask where he was treated. After getting the information I needed, I went straight to the room where he is.

To my surprise, Inside the room, I found Junjin there. He saw me and ask me to come over.

There, I saw him lay down on that bed. Sleep. With some scratch on his face and hand. And he looked so pale.

“What happen to him?”

That’s all what comes out from my mouth.

“Something happen on the way home. We decided to stop by pojangmacha, because hyung want to buy warm night snack. but there was something we did not expect.” He stop for a while. “another pojangmacha next where we stop, the gas was leaked and seems that no one notice it. and that start some explosion. Not big but that’s enough to injured some of customer and also fires.”

An explosion? Fires?

“Situation becomes bit uncontrollable. People start to panic. And we have not had time to react and deal with the first explosion, the fire quickly snatched into the stall where we were. causing the fire to be larger than before.”

Explosion.. bigger fire..  No. that’s bad. “Why wont you run quickly?”

“I was. But hyung being paralyzed there. He did not move at all. rather, like not being able to move.”

“Jin-ah.. at that time.. It’s..”

“Pil Kyo hyung.”

Silent surround us after that until doctor came to report the result about Him.

“Good evening gentleman. Or should I said good night?” the doctor said.

“Good evening Doctor.. who?” Junjin ask. While I still look at him. Pay no attention to the doctor.

“Doctor Kim. My name is Kim Dong Wan.”

“So, how is he, doc? He’ll be fine rite?”

“He is fine. For now.” For now? What does that mean. “If just based on his injury, he is completely fine. But there is something that bothers me.”

“What is that?”

“It looks like his body exhausted. he suffered physical fatigue, but seems he does not realize it. and if this continues to happen, it would not be good for him.”

Exhausted? I don’t realized it. is that why lately he seems enervate?

”and one more thing that aware me. When we tried to check his wound, he was bit.. hysterical. he had also fainted, and when he regained consciousness he does not remember what was just happen. Seemed to turn into someone else. And he exclaim that he is fine, while he is actually not. He forced to leave, therefore we’re forced to inject a sedative so he can rest.”

“is he really going to be fine?”

“That depends.”

“Depends on what?” finally I can say something.

“I’m wondering. Does he have psychological misbehavior? Or traumatic accident that effect his psychology?”

Accident.. Yes.. there was one. That made him into his current condition.

“I take that as Yes.”

“So, when he can discharge from here?” I asked.

“As soon as he wakes up. But,” But what? “It just my suggestion. Better he stay here for a while and do some mental examination. I don’t mean to say that he is mentally ill. No.”

Seem that this Doctor Kim aware with my sharp stare.

“First thing first. Did he really have problem with his psychology?” I just nod my head. “Well, I have friend who is psychologist, maybe he can help him. It may take effect to his next. Mostly to his body. How?”

Should I do it?

“Eric hyung, I guess it worth to try. since both of us can cure him by our self.”

“Okay.”

“Can you tell me what happened to him?”

“He’s having double personalities.”

 

========================================================

 

Next day, Hyesung wakes and greets me like nothing happen. And he’s clueless why he’s in hospital. I explained to him in simple way that I can. And he still don’t understand.

Not long after, Doctor Kim’s friend name Andy came. He is the psychologist. We talk for a while outside his room. And then Andy-ssi asking my permission to talk alone with Hyesung so he can understand more about the situation.

I decide to go to cafeteria. Having breakfast or at least trying to do so. If only I can smoke here, but sadly its forbidden.

I sit there facing my cup of Americano and sandwich that not yet being touched by me. My mind wondering lot of things that it shock me too I can even think about it.

“Good morning, Eric ssi.” It’s Andy the psychologist. It’s startled me. And wakes me from my wondering. “I’ve been looking for you. May I sit here?” I just nod. “Thanks.”

And then he sit there. We’re not yet talking or having conversation yet. And the worst part, even if so, he keep on staring at me. Like.. observing me? It’s creepie. And to be honest, I don’t really like being staring like that.

“It seems that you are not kind of person that can easily comfortable with new people. And no matter how long we will be in here, if I’m not the first one who talk, you wont say anything.”

He said it so easily. Am I really like that?

“I want to talk about Hyesung ssi. So, can I ask you your cooperation.” Finally I lift my face, and my eyes meet his. “You really have sharp eyes.”

“Stop observing me. We are here to talk about him.”

“Ok. My apologize. Can you tell me the whole story what makes Hyesung ssi to be like now? Cause, It seems that there is something that Hyesung ssi hiding from us.”

Hiding? What does he mean? “What do you mean by hiding something?”

“Dongwan hyung told me about his double personalities issue. And after my earlier conversation with him, I feel that he’s actually hiding something. So can you please tell me the story.”

“It’s been so long he’s in this situation. Like for almost 16 years.” I paused. Trying to recall the memory.

“Go on. I’m listening.”

“I’m trying.”

So I’m telling Andy his story. What happen to Hyesung, or actually Pil Kyo 16 years ago.

 

I first met Pil kyo around 19 years ago. I was 2nd grade junior high student that time. First time I saw him, I was mesmerized by his voice and of course by his looks. I want to be friend with him. but till that day ends, I didn’t have a chance to talk to him. I was lucky the next day. he actually live not long from my house. His house was across mine. And that we were actually a school mate. I just know it because, I just moved in.

At school we were also a class mate. What a lucky. And then I begun my mission to be his friend, and if lucky enough being his best friend.

It wasn’t easy. He’s actually a pain the . Not a bad boy or bad attitude, but he is keep pushing me away and ignore me all the time. But don’t call me Eric if I give up so easily. Not when I really want it so bad.

Eventually my hard work paid of. He slowly accept my existent and never push me away anymore. He also stop ignoring me. Slowly, each day we become close to each other. Without we even realize it, we already best friend. And since then we hardly ever inseparable.

Pil kyo, even though he is man with foul mouth, easily to get mad, nagging a lot but he is more than that. The more I got close with him, the more I found a lot of side of him. He is clumsy, sometimes cute and even he don’t want to admit it, he care about me a lot. He also someone who sometimes think to much and easily worried with unnecessary thing.

I think I fall in love already with him. But I must sure about him first. I don’t want to rush.

At senior high school time, we also at same school too. The funny part is, we never tell each other where we gonna continue our school time. With that I almost sure that some how me and Pilkyo destined to each other. Just to need him to realized his feeling, because he is just another stubborn person like me and sometime such denial person.

And when we in our 2nd year, that time I’m sure about both of us. I plan to confess to him. after that, its us against the world. Because I know people wont easily accept us. Because I’m sure with our mutual feelings.

But that never happen. I never had a chance to confess to him.

That day, its Christmas day. The accident day. I wasn’t in town. Cause I had to go with my family to US, visit my sister. Pilkyo and his family having car accident. And that day, he lost all his family member. They died that day.

Their car had an accident while going avoid a collision with another vehicle. their car exploded. Pilkyo is the only survivor. he can survive because he is thrown out of the car. and he saw the car when it exploded.

The hospital cant contact the other family. They manage to call me some how. I was so shock. I beg my mom to let me back to Korea. I tell them what happen to Pilkyo. And they willing to comeback with me. So we were back to Korea the next day.

Arriving in Korea, I decided to go to the hospital immediately. I want as soon as possible see Pilkyo. I'm worried about the situation. And there, when I saw him, my fears become reality.

He sit in his ward. Hugging his knees. His eyes were empty. And he keep mumbling something that I cant really understand. All I can catch is “I’m sorry.”

I cant stand saw him at that state. So I hugged him. when I hugged him at first, he didn’t recognize me at all. And it even seems that he don’t know that I’m there with him.

It took more time to calm himself. It need a about two weeks to makes him recognize me again. And when that happen, I thought everything would be ok. But once again, I was wrong.

Since he already don’t have anyone, me and my parents bring him home to mine and take care of him. for a month, my mom help me take care of him. but, both my parents had to go to US again. Left alone only me and Pilkyo.

I feel very relieved to find out he's getting better from day to day. Even though sometimes he still having nightmare and seems have slight phobia with any flare-up. But, at least now he’s talking. Not silent and empty.

Within months we try to go outside. It goes well for few times. But at one day when we decided to walk bit far, to a park just to enjoy weekend day. Here come the trouble. The beginning of Pilkyo’s problem.

Did I tell you that even though he’s not a bad boy or some of a bad kind, but he still have bunch of people that hate him. disliking him because he’s defeat them is some particular thing. And because he is less social with the other. Unlike his brother. Most of people like his brother than him.

That day at park, I need to leave him alone for a while because I need to buy some food n drink for us. But when I back, I realize that it was a bad decision.

There, at the same place where I leave him. he’s surrounded by some of people that dislike him. and they trying to made fun of him and throw some hurt full words. I heard them say, “it’s rather you gone than your brother. It’s your fault they all are gone. Your parents and your brother.” I don’t like what I saw on Pilkyo’s face.

Scared. Intimidated. Guilty. Not.. wanted..

Immediately I take Pilkyo back home. I can feel he is trembling. I feel really guilty. That night, once again I heard Pilkyo chanting those sorrowful words again. The next day, even though it still Pilkyo, but it wasn’t the same Pilkyo. He’s trying so hard to give fake smile and those fake happy and I’m okay attitude. He keep on like that for a while.

We trying to go outside again one day. That day we go to grocery store. I feel that he’s actually feel insecure, but he push himself. On our way back home, we meet again with those kids. The same kids that we met at the park. They are doing it again. And some of them throwing him with something.

I was mad. Really mad. I end up beat them and then I end up at police station. But after few hours’ interrogation, they let me go. All of us. The police officer consider it as misconception between teenager.

During our way back home, Pilkyo being extremely quite. I try to talk to him, but he doesn’t answer. Even when he got home , he immediately went into his room without saying anything . I leave him alone. Maybe he need time to be alone.

but I regret it . not long , I heard sound of falling objects and broken . I was very shocked and I immediately went into his room. empty. and the I try to search in the bathroom. He’s there. he tried to commit suicide .

I panicked saw him lying on the bathroom floor , unconscious and bleeding from his wrist . at that moment I took him to the hospital . I do not want to lose him .

that day , that night , was the last night I met Pilkyo . he was unconscious for several days . and when he finally conscious, he does not remember anything, but he knows and remembers me. Just me. When we try to explain to him who he is and why he’s at hospital, he doesn’t believe. and he introduced himself as Hyesung.

The moment we all felt weird . and of course because of this problem , a psychiatrist trying to figure out what happened . the psychiatrist was saying , maybe this happened because of trauma and Pilkyo want to forget it . then comes a personality named Hyesung .

but no , Pilkyo not disappeared completely . Pilkyo sometimes reappear. It usually occurs when Hyesung asleep from exhaustion. and Pilkyo will only exist for a short time. After he fell asleep again , when he re- awakened , he again became Hyesung .

Hyesung when he is , he does not remember about Pilkyo . and vice versa .

As goes by the time, we move to apartment and renting my house. Hyesung or Pilkyo stay with me. Saver like that. I still can keep my eye on him. it’s awkward at first, but as time goes by things change. Even still awkward a lil bit, everything goes smooth and fine until today.

Well, during this 16 years’ periods, of course Hyesung and Pilkyo still switch on/off. And as time went on, Pilkyo’s time and Hyesung’s time getting equal. Still Hyesung got lot more On time. It almost like, Hyesung are day person and Pilkyo are night person. It’s hard at first keeping on with it, but I’m getting used to it.

I’m getting used to with Hyesung. He is completely different from Pilkyo. Somehow, watching him makes me want to protect him more. we become inseparable. Some think that we are an item, so do my parents.

I like him.

 

==============================================

 

After Andy-ssi listening the whole story, he started the session with Hyesung. He ask me not to meet Hyesung for a while. But I still can see him. those session between Andy and Hyesung took the whole week.

A week passed, Andy asked me to meet him in his office. He said we need to discuss things bout Hyesung and Pilkyo. So, at the appointment day I come to his office. Still at the same building, or can be said, same hospital. His office so neat and not looks like a psychiatrist office at all.

“Please sit, Eric ssi. I need to finish some report first.”

“Ok.” I wait and sit at the couch. Not long, he join me.

“Sorry that you have to wait.”

“No problem. So, how’s he doing?”

“Hyesung ssi is fine. His condition, emotionally and physically already stable. But that doesn’t mean everything is fine. Remember what Dongwan hyung said.” I nod. Then I saw him took out his note book and then hand it too me. “That’s the report for our session.”

I read it carefully. It write that sometimes in the session, Pilkyo comes up.

“Pilkyo? He’s out too?”

“Yes. I manage to meet him too. And my impression is.. yes, he’s a bad . But I can see that he’s kind and friendly. He just do that because he fell insecure.”

Insecure? About what? But why?

“I can see that you questioning bout that. It seems from his past. But we’re not about to discuss that. Back to our main topic. Hyesung ssi. After the session, I can say that he’s actually hiding something.”

“What do you mean?”

“It seems that, he actually remembers everything. Anything that happen whether its Hyesung or Pilkyo. I've tried to lure him to get caught and tell the truth, but failed. He don’t want to reveal it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Well, not at first. But after a week I always with him everyday, while sometimes it’s Pilkyo that appear. Have I told you that, when Pilkyo first On, you are the one he’s looking for?” I shook my head. “Oh I must be forgot then. Well, for almost a week, I’m getting sure that he is hiding the truth. But it’s more like, he don’t want to say it to me, but he is waiting for some time or maybe actually someone other than me, to realize it.”

“You mean he is waiting for the right time?”

“Oh my goodness are you really this blank all the time?” I pout hearing his comment. “He’s waiting for you to realize it. it seems that, he will tell the truth if you are the one who ask. Why don’t you try it? I’m not asking you right now. When you ready to know.”

The truth about Hyesung actually remember anything whether its him or Pilkyo who possessed the body.

“And one more thing Eric ssi. This one is the most important thing. You already know from Dongwan hyung about his body, right?” I nod to answer his question. “Eric ssi, two soul cant be together in one body. More over, when one soul hibernate and the other soul take control, the body would never have a rest. And that’s bad. The body feel exhausted. That’s why, you’re here having important role.”

“ Important role? How important?”

“Very important. Because they only listen to you. They depend on you. But as what I said, two cant be together in one. Unless, both of them merge as one. The real one. And it’s you, only you who can decide which one that you want to stay.”

“That means, the other one must disappear like forever? But, what if I make the wrong decision?”

“That’s why you must really think bout it in the right mind. And about one of them disappear forever, yes that’s true. But there is still a possibility that slowly the one who stay can remember both memory. If they want by their own will. So, Eric ssi, please think bout it carefully.”

“Can.. can I meet him now?”

“Yes you can.”

With that I left Andy’s office and straight to Hyesung’s room. I don’t go in directly. I stand in front of his door’s room. Stoned there, trying to decide I should go in or not. But one single voice, shock me.

“Eric!” I turn my body to the source of the voice. There my Hyesungie standing still so healthy. He ran to me and suddenly hug me, makes me loose my balance and hit the wall. “Where have you been? Why you didn’t visit me at all in this whole week? I’m lonely. You’re not mad at me right?”

How can I mad at you? Never mad, pissed sometimes. “No, I’m not mad or angry. It just I have to take care of something. What are you doing outside your room? Where have you been?”

“Just walking with Dongwan ssi. It’s boring if I have to stay n the room all the time. Make it more boring cause you’re not there too.” He’s pout. So cute. “So Eric, when can I go home?”

“I’ll ask to Doctor Dongwan first. but it supposed to be that you already can discharge.”

“Really? Yaaaayyyyy~~~ I can play with Junjin and Gomdori again. Maybe helping Minwoo hyung at his bar too. I should introduce him to Dongwan ssi.”

“What happen to you in this week? Why seems you become bit childish and jumpy?”

“Dunno. Maybe bored virus eat up some of my brain cell. Let’s go find Dongwan ssi and ask him when can I go home. Lets go, lets go..”

He drag me run over the corridor looking for Dongwan ssi. He’s so happy. Hyesung is happy. Lookin at him being this happy makes me happy too. We found Dongwan at Andy’s office. Just slight hallo from Hyesung to Andy, and then he bombardier Dongwan ssi, when he can go home. When Dongwan said, that he can go home tomorrow, he’s so happy and he ran outside, maybe back to his room to prepare his leaving.

“Hello, Eric ssi.” Greet Dongwan. I just smile and slight bow to answer his greet. “I bet Andy already told you.” I just nod. “ Well, I hope you can think about it and decide the right thing.”

“I will. Now, excuse me.”

 

====================================================

 

It’s been more than a month since that day. And each single day, I always think about it. I think about it while observing Hyesung or Pilkyo condition.

Indeed like what they said, even though he seems fine, but for person who spend the days together will notice there is something wrong with the body. He easily get tired and looks limp. It makes me worried. I’ve been thinking bout it.

Hyesung. I like Hyesung. He’s so bubbly and happy go lucky person. Clumsy yet so cute. Makes me want to protect him. I feel comfortable being with him. but I know, he’s not real. These years I almost forgot that he’s not real. Just because he is looks more real than the real one.

Pilkyo. My best friend. My other half. With him I feel complete. Though maybe we’re sometimes having argue and sometimes fight each other like a man. I feel complete with him. the one that I actually miss so dearly. I love him.

I guess I already find the answer. Now it’s about the time to talk with him.

“Hyesung ah! Where are you?” I sit on our couch.

“Here in bedroom.” He shout from there. And I go to our bedroom.

“What are you doing?” I look at him prone in our bed reading some magazine.

“As you can see. Read. What’s up?”

“Can we talk? Here sit properly big baby.” He’s giggling. But then suddenly he turn serious.

“What do you want to talk about? It seems serious?”

“Hyesung ah, is there is something that you hide from me? Something that been quite long that you been keep it as secret from me. Waiting for me to realize and then asking you so you can tell me?”

Silence fill the atmosphere between us. In his eyes I can see that he’s sad but yet relieve. Like.. finally.

“So, finally you realize it? since when?”

“Almost this month. So it’s true?”

“Tell me what do you know?”

I told him what I know. About the reality that he’s remember all whether he is being Hyesung or Pilkyo.

“Yes, Eric. I can remember everything. But sadly, Pilkyo cant.”

“Why you pretend that you don’t remember? Since when?”

“I guess since you going to army. I don’t want to burden you. Because, Pil kyo don’t want to rules his body. He refuse to go out and to be himself again. He can out only if I really tired and completely hibernate. So like or not he will out.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s afraid. Afraid of rejection, afraid with those people who blame him in the past. Afraid if he’s unwanted. So that’s why unconsciously he creates me. I am aware that I’m not real. And if one day I will disappear. If only he want it and you want it.”

“Me? Why me?”

“It’s because. Without you realize it, you also attached to me. Even you not forget bout Pilkyo, but you never really want only Pilkyo. That makes him buried deeper. Eric, be honest with me. Do you ever think that maybe I’m the real one not Pilkyo?”

I can’t directly said no. sometimes, I am thinking about the possibilities that indeed maybe Hyesung is the real one. Someone that Pilkyo never show.

“I take that as a yes. I’m sorry Eric, I’m not real. This is why I cant tell you the truth without you realize it first.”

“SO what do we have to do now?”

“Not we, but you. Who’s the one that you really want to be HERE? I know you already think about it. you already ask your heart. If not, we wont discuss it right now.”

“Hyesung ah, I like you. I really am. But….”

“But you love him. you love him. I know that. Since the beginning its you and Pilkyo.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to feel sorry. I’m fine. Instead, I feel relieve. I can completely rest. Thank you Eric for all the wonderful memories that ever happen between us.”

“What gonna happen to you?”

“Me? Off course I’ll be gone. But fear not, I will be a memory inside Pilkyo’s head. But it need process to makes him remember every single of my memory with you. Be passion. Treasure him eric. Protect him. show him that he’s wanted and save.”

“Hyesung ah~ I will miss you. Can I hug you?” He just nod. “Hyesung ah~ how do you disappear later?”

“Just disappear like that. Eric, can I kiss you good bye?”

WHAT??? Before I can completely react, he already kiss me. And I enjoy it. those lips that I always want to taste. But suddenly I feel a strong push came over me and I fell from our bed.

“YAH you bastard! Why did you kiss me? What for?!?!?!”

“Kyo…..? Pil Kyo?”

“Who else?! Aaahhhh… my lips. Damn you Eric.”

My Pilkyo~~ without thinking any further I jump to the bed and hug him. not forget to kiss his chubby check and lips too.

“Pilkyo ah~~ I Love you!!! I always want to say that thru this 16 years? MMMMUUUAAACCCHHH!!”

“YAH! You crazy! Get off me!”

“No! I don’t want to. Not until you said you love me too. I know you love me too. I found your diary.”

“YOU!! You jerk!!”

“Said it~~ I wont let you go and I will keep kissing you until you admit it. I know you can fight me back because you feel powerless.”

“How did you…. STOP!! Stop it ERIC!”

“Nah ah~ I love you so much Kyo ah~ for 16 years I’ve been waiting. And never gonna change. I will always love you cause I want you. And I will protect you from everything that will harm you. Promise.”

“Y-Y-Yooouuu.. serious?” I nod my head and grinned widely. “I… I….”

“Yes, Kyo?” I can hear he whispered. “ I cant hear you?”

“I LOVE YOU TOO! Don’t make me said it again! That’s so embarrassing.”

And then I kiss him again. I will wait until all the memories back to him. I will treasure him. the one and the only one. AAHhh~~ my life will be so so so colorful.

 

~ E N D ~

 

FROM THE MODERATOR:

PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE ON THE AUTHOR'S WALL BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK