Knight In Shining Sneakers

Knight In Shining Sneakers

“Ok we’re going to do this from the top one more time. Follow me and try to keep up.” Yuri instructed the group before turning back toward the mirror. “Hyoyeon is going to go around and watch your form and technique. I’ll also being watching from the mirror. We’re both going to be critiquing you a little bit when it’s done. Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble, we just want you all to get better ok?”

Yuri nodded to Yoona who started the music before running back to her position in the group. Hyoyeon jokingly smacked her on the and Yoona let out a giant alligator laugh before hitting her in the arm. Yoona, Yuri and Hyoyeon each had their own respective groups that they hung out with, but they occasionally got together outside of school and definitely bonded over dancing. All three had been in the dance club since freshman year. They even continually talked about going to a performing arts college together.

The music started and the group followed Yuri’s lead as they performed the routine. Hyoyeon walked around watching each member intently, picking out the ways they did well and where they needed improvement. Then her gaze rested upon Kai.

 

When I first saw you I knew nothing's like it used to be

Boy, you have got to be the finest thing in history

 

In the three years she had been apart of the club she had never seen a guy dance like him. There was determination yet playfulness in his eyes. It was like he was using dance, the way he moved his body to the beat, to attract his pray.

 

The way I feel inside is just so hard to understand

You feed my appetite in ways I can't explain

 

The way he grinded his hips, the way his hair fell in his face, the way he bit his lip, how did Hyoyeon not notice any of this before?

 

I'll eat you up, your love, your love

 

She felt her cheeks getting hot again. She shook off the feeling and patted her cheeks with her hands. She convinced herself she was merely impressed with his dancing. That is all. Just as the group finished up the routine a young man slipped into the room quietly so as not to disturb anyone. He was holding a small bouquet of roses. Yuri noticed him in the mirror reflection and her face lit up.

“Ok everyone good job! Let’s take five! Hyoyeon will be coming around to talk with you all a little bit about your technique.” She grabbed a towel to wipe herself off then skipped to the back of the room where the boy was standing. She graciously took the flowers then placed a gentle kiss on his lips.

“Ugh I want a boyfriend!” Yoona whined leaning on Hyoyeon’s back. “Yuri is so lucky!”

“Oh that’s her boyfriend Minho? I think this is the first time I’ve seen him. Yeah he’s pretty good looking.” Hyoyeon looked at the couple and sighed. She wanted a boyfriend too.

She turned and placed both hands on Yoona’s face and squeezed her cheeks together. “You’re one of the prettiest girls in this school. Boys are just intimidated by that and are a little afraid to approach you. Don’t worry, some brave boy will come sweep you off your feet!”

“Promise?” Yoona pouted with a smooshed face.

“Yes now get out of here, I have to go talk to the other members. Shoo!” She once again smacked her bottom and Yoona ran off giggling.

Hyoyeon laughed at the silly girl and turned to find herself standing face to face with Kai. She shook off the butterflies she was feeling once more. What was with her today?

“So how did I do? Was my technique ok? Was I not precise enough?” He was breathing heavily.

“You’re perfect.” She muttered. “I mean, you’re a really good dancer.”

“Wow really? You’re one of the best dancers here so that means a lot coming from you!” In his excitement he picked her up in a hug and swung her around.

“Yah, what are you doing?!” She squeaked. He has his arms wrapped around her waist and had her held up just high enough that she was looking down on him slightly.

He suddenly realized what he had done and stopped spinning. He froze in embarrassment so instead of putting her down he just held her in place pressed against him, their faces inches from each other. He could feel her breath on his face. They just stared at each other until the sound of someone clearing their throat broke their trance. Eunhyuk was standing in front of them. He did not look pleased. In fact he actually looked a little annoyed.

“Can I talk to you? Now?”

Kai gently put her down. They both cleared their throats and pushed away from each other. Eunhyuk quickly approached and grabbed Hyoyeon by her wrist. He shot Kai a glare before dragging her out of the room.

“So first you ignore me all night and then you send your friends after me during lunch?”

“What are you talking about?”

“And who the hell is that guy?! I didn’t realize you were so friendly with everyone!”

“He’s a member of our dance club and what business is it of yours?!”

“Well for someone who claimed she liked me so much she sure moved on really fast!”

“Wha…WHAT?!” Hyoyeon started to get fired up. Being shorter than Eunhyuk, she stood on her tippy toes so she could more effectively yell in his face. “First of all you rejected me remember? You’re dating someone else remember? You’re taking pictures at lunch and getting couples’ key chains, remember? Who I decide to talk to AFTER you reject me is none of your damn concern!”

She was about to give Eunhyuk a good hard shove when the door to the studio swung open and Kai walked out casually with his duffle bag and hers as well. He acted as if he didn’t even realize they had been fighting in the hallway.

“Oh hey Hyoyeon, ready to go grab a bite like we talked about? I know this great noodle place!”

He wrapped his arm around Hyoyeon’s shoulders and proceeded to walk off with her. She was so caught off guard she couldn’t even speak.

“See you later pal!” Kai grinned and winked at Eunhyuk before disappearing around the corner. Eunhyuk snarled and kicked the wall.

“What, what the hell was that?!” Hyoyeon finally blurted out.

“Oh that? That was just me rescuing you. Think of me as your Knight in Shining Sneakers.” He motioned down to his silver shoes. “You can thank me by buying me dinner!” He winked and gave her a little squeeze.