I'm ABC, You're XYZ

Knight In Shining Sneakers

The first week of school had gone seemingly well and yet Hyoyeon was already loathing it. Senior year was supposed to be a breeze so why were they assigning so much homework already? She placed her pillow over her head and groaned while using her foot to shove her math workbook onto the floor.

The thud it made almost covered up the sound of her phone buzzing. Honestly who would need to talk at 10:00pm on a Monday night? With the pillow still over her head, her hand fumbled around for the phone. Her fingers finally grasped it and she dragged it under the pillow to her face. It was a few moments before she bolted up, tossing the pillow aside to stare at the text a little bit more clearly.

 

From: Jerkface

What was that today? Is it really going to be like this from now on? Passing me in the hallway and pretending like you don’t know me anymore?

 

She furrowed her brow. She wondered if she should respond. She thought about ignoring him, but she knew he wouldn’t go away that easy. She could ignore Eunhyuk’s calls and texts forever but it wouldn’t be long before he confronted her face to face and she couldn’t handle that right now.

 

From: H.Y.

Oh you mean like how you pretended to like me and then started dating someone else?

 

From: Jerkface

It’s not like that and you know it. I really do care about you, but we had such a good friendship that I didn’t want to mess that up trying to make it something more. What if we tried to make it work and then broke up?

 

From: H.Y.

Well your little plan didn’t work because we’re not even friends anymore. Congrats. Oh and thanks for not having enough confidence in us to even take a chance. Goodnight.

 

She turned off her phone, opened the drawer of her beside table and threw the phone inside before shutting it again. She felt proud for telling him off and yet absolutely miserable at the same time. She knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep now so she decided to go for a walk to clear her head. Her parents would never let her out this late alone so she put on a hoodie and her sneakers and climbed out of the window. Hyoyeon decided to play it safe and just go to the convenience store down the road and back. A broken heart mends much faster when you have snacks and candy.

DING DONG!

There was a chiming sound as she opened the door to the convenience store. She grabbed a basket as getting over Eunhyuk would require A LOT of snacks. She loaded her basket with shrimp chips, chocopies, onion rings and other guilty pleasures. She went to grab a container of banana milk when a hand met with hers, reaching for the same container.

“Oh excuse me.”

“Sorry, my bad. You can go ahead and ta…Hyoyeon?”

She looked up at the brown haired, brown eyed boy. He was wearing sweats, a pullover with the sleeves cut off and a backwards cap. He looked familiar but she just couldn’t place it. He could tell she was struggling with his name.

“It’s me Kai, from the dance club. Remember?”

“Oh! Oh hi!” She laughed a little.

“…and from art class?”

“Omigosh I’m so sorry! Yes of course!” She bowed profusely. She felt like such an idiot for not remembering someone she’s seen at least twice a day for a week already. “I’m really sorry. It’s been a crazy week; my mind is all over the place.”

“I can tell.” He laughed, peeking into her basket. He grabbed the banana milk and tossed it in. After a week it had gotten a little easier to talk to her. He wasn’t as nervous as before. Plus he liked getting a chance to see her out of her school uniform. He noted how cute she looked in her red sweatpants and matching hoodie.

“So why are you up so late?” She asked, following him down the aisle while he finished his shopping.

“Me and some friends are pulling a late study night. We all kind of at this math thing.”

“Me too! I thought math was supposed to be about numbers so why do they keep sneaking all these letters in there? X, Y, Z? It makes no sense!”

They continued to laugh and talk right up to the register to pay for their things. Hyoyeon was too busy explaining how she also didn’t see how knowing what a cosine or tangent was had to do with anything important in life, that she didn’t even notice that Kai had paid for her snacks. When she finally realized it, she tried to protest but he was already ushering her out of the store.

“What was that? I don’t need you to pay!” She tried to take money out of her pocket.

He pushed her hand away. Then, with one swift motion he took her shopping bag and began walking away.

“Yah! Where do you think you’re going with my stuff?” She yelled and stomped her foot.

“What else? I’m walking you home dummy. Let’s go!”