Out of Your League

Knight In Shining Sneakers

“Unnie wait! You’re walking too fast!”

Hyoyeon barely had enough time to turn around to see who was yelling in her direction before an arm hooked around hers and the momentum sent them both spinning in a circle before coming to a stop.

“Well well, look who finally decided to show her face!” Hyoyeon curled her hand into fist and bonked the tall brunette on her head. “Why didn’t you eat lunch with us?”

“I’m sorry!” Seohyun bowed slightly. “I was signing up for a study group.”

“Study group?”

“For the exit exams!”

“EXIT EXAMS?! Seohyun it’s the first day of school! You’re already preparing for exit exams? You know those are at end of the year right?” She scoffed in disbelief.

“You can never be too prepared! Don’t you want to get into a good college?”

“I don’t want to even think about it. Let’s just get to class ok?”

The pair stepped into the classroom. Somehow Seohyun had talked Hyoyeon into taking an art class as an elective in an effort to make Hyoyeon more cultured and express her feelings through art rather than hitting. Hyoyeon thought it was a bunch of baloney and really wasn’t looking forward to spending an hour painting fruit in a bowl, but hey it was probably going to be the easiest “A” she ever got in her life. Instead of individual seats there were rows of two person desks so the students would have room to work on their projects.

“Let’s sit in the front! We’ll be able to hear the teacher clearly and really soak up all his teachings!”

“Yeah…no. Let’s sit in the back, it’ll be easier to sleep.”

“Unnie!” Seohyun hit her arm.

“I don’t want to sit in the front!” Hyo whined before bringing her voice down to a whisper. “Only nerds sit in the front.”

She then looked at Seohyun’s insulted expression before apologizing and assuring Seohyun that she was not a nerd. They finally compromised on the middle desk in the middle row and went to sit down. As they walked between the rows giggling to each other a pair of dark eyes followed them. He watched as the short blonde removed a notebook and pencil from her backpack. She placed the pencil between her soft pink lips in order to use both hands to put her hair up into a bun, securing it in place with the pencil.

“Who are those girls?” He said, still staring from the back of the classroom.

“Out of your league.” The tall blonde next to him retorted, never lifting his gaze from the book he was reading.

“I’m serious Kris.”

“I’m serious too Kai. Those girls are seniors. You’re a sophomore. Forget they exist, because I’m sure they don’t even realize you exist.”

“You started dating an older girl when you were a freshman! You’re still dating her now! What’s her name? That Jessica girl!”

“That’s because I’m extremely good looking and mature for my age.” Kris spoke matter-of-factly. Not once did he look up from his book. “Why would I have ever lowered my standards by dating a freshman girl?”

Kai ignored his friend’s blatant arrogance and tried to bring the conversation back on topic.

“So you know who they are then?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact I do. They’re friends with ‘that Jessica girl’.” He mocked Kai’s tone as he turned the page.

“Really? Well, tell me their names!”

Kris sighed heavily. This banter was too much for him. He enjoyed Kai’s company, but he was far too cool to be fangirling over a bunch of seniors like his younger counterpart. Deep inside, however, he was highly amused watching Kai clearly fawning over these girls like a puppy. He tried not to smile.

“The brunette is Seohyun: very smart, very studious, most likely to be valedictorian in her class, sweet girl, although a little to ‘play by the rules’ at times. The blonde is Hyoyeon: class clown type, always makes everyone laugh with her antics, bit of a prankster. She’s also in some hip hop dance club. Sometimes they perform for the school at rallies and stuff. She’s really good.”

Kai soaked all the information and nodded his head affirmatively. He looked back over to the two girls. Hyoyeon was pretending to try and draw on Seohyun’s face with a piece of charcoal. He leaned forward resting his chin in the palm of his hand, his arm propped up on the table.

“Hmm…Hyoyeon eh?”