The Worst Year

Knight In Shining Sneakers

“This is going to be the worst year of my life!” Jessica plopped down on the grass half pouting half scowling.

“Awe what has the world done to you now princess?” Hyoyeon feigned sympathy as she handed her friend a soda.

“The principal said I HAVE to take and pass P.E. this year or I’m not going to graduate! Can you believe that?!” She cracked the soda open hurriedly causing some of it to spray onto Tiffany’s skirt.

“Yah! Watch it Sica! I just washed my uniform last night! And you know what? It’s about time. I don’t know how you managed to get out of taking P.E. for 3 years.” Tiffany brushed the droplets away before picking up her milk to take a sip.

“I can’t do it. They can’t make me! All that running…and no air conditioning…I’ve got to find a way to get out of this! STRESS!” She held the can to her lips, but didn’t drink. “Ooo, I’ve got it! I’ll tell them my grandmother died and I’m so grief stricken I can’t possibly think about physical education. I’m so heartbroken I can barely focus on academics as is.” Her brown eyes drifted upward, a smile creeping across her face is if this was the most brilliant plan she had ever come up with.

“Didn’t your grandmother ‘die’ last year?” Hyoyeon laughed.

“…and freshman year…” Sooyoung quipped before popping another potato chip into .

Sooyoung then pouted realizing it was the last one. She stared longingly into the bag hoping more would appear. She spotted another chip bag near Sunny and, seeing as how the bubbly blonde was not paying attention, figured she would help herself to it.

“Looks like you’ve run out of grandmas Jung.” Sunny smiled and without flinching smacked Sooyoung’s hand with her pencil. The shikshin whimpered and pulled her hand away in defeat. Sunny resumed writing in her notebook unfazed.

The group laughed at Jessica admitted defeat. This was their first lunch together on the first day of school of their senior year. They had been friends since freshman year, and honestly nothing had changed between them. They were the same dorky girls they had always been.

“I think I’m going to run for class president this year.” Tiffany suddenly announced.

“Wow really? Go Tiff! You can totally do it! That eye smile will surely win over all the voters!” Sunny beamed.

“You really think so?” Tiffany brightened up. Everyone nodded. She was unsure at first if she should even do it, but seeing her friends support her gave her confidence.

“Think Pink. Vote Tiffany for Senior Class President…” Hyoyeon waved her hand in the air reading an imaginary poster.

“Quit kidding around Hyoye….hmm…you know what? That’s actually not a bad slogan. I’m stealing that!” She nodded before quickly pulling her pink notebook out of her bag and jotting it down with her pink pen.

“Ugh all the hallways filled with pink posters and banners. Barf!” Sooyoung teased, wrapping her hands around her own throat as if she was gagging, rolling around on the grass.

“Excuse you!” Tiffany snapped. She leaned over to smack the smartass with her notebook when she stopped and stared ahead very intently. Her face dropped.

“Tiff? What is it?” Jessica looked puzzled until she turned her head in the same direction. “…Oh crap.”

The entire group turned and looked at a couple sitting on a bench some ways away. The couple chatted, laughed. The girl playfully hit the boy’s arm. She took out her phone and leaned in close to him. She brought her hand up into a peace sign. He smiled as they took a picture. They both looked at it. The group couldn’t hear their words, but could tell he was telling her to send the picture to his phone. The girls looked on quietly, then in unison all turned to Hyoyeon for her reaction.

“I’m fine. It’s ok.” She said quickly before taking the biggest bite of her sandwich so she wouldn’t have to speak again.

“He has a lot of nerve…” Tiffany spoke quietly as she sat back down.

“How can you just act like you like someone and flirt all the time and then suddenly start dating someone else over the summer? How can someone’s heart change that quickly? That Eunhyuk is a real piece of work! I ought to kick him in his n…”

“Jessica, that’s enough!” Sunny warned, giving her a glance before looking at Hyoyeon, then back at Jessica.

“It’s fine. It’s not like we were dating. I just misunderstood his feelings I guess.”

“Misunderstood?! When a guy tells you he cares about you what is there to misunderstand?”

“He said he just meant as a friend. That’s what we are…just friends. It was silly of me to assume all that was flirting anyway. He’s just a playful guy by nature. Besides he likes sweet innocent girly girl types. You know that’s not me.” She sighed. “It would have never worked between us.” Her explanation sounded sensible in her head, but it still hurt in her heart.

“Well in any event I’d still like to poke him in his wandering eye!” Jessica clenched her hand into a fist. Tiffany nodded in agreement.

Any further discussion was interrupted by a bell echoing through the campus. The girls packed up the remnants of their lunches, gathered their belongings and said their goodbyes.

“You gonna be ok?” Sooyoung gently patted Hyoyeon on the top of her head, gently her blonde hair.

“Of course! So over it!” Hyoyeon beamed triumphantly before turning away.

‘Text me after class ok?!” Sooyoung yelled after her.

Hyoyeon threw a peace sign up in the air to signal that she would as she continued to walk away.

An entire year of seeing them together? Ugh how am I going to get through this? And what if I have a class with him? She thought. Her brow furrowed.

“This is going to be the worst year of my life.” She muttered under her breath.