What Big Arms You Have

Knight In Shining Sneakers

Hyoyeon’s eyes widened and she just stood there baffled. Walk me home?

The only boy who had ever walked her home was Eunhyuk. She had known Eunhyuk for years so it wasn’t weird, but this was different. She barely knew Kai and now she was going to be alone with him walking in the dark.

“Well?” He looked at her impatiently swinging her bag of snacks.

She nodded and ran toward him, walking beside him yet making sure to walk a safe distance apart from him. For a while they didn’t say anything.

“So you never told me why you were out so late?”

“Me? Um, just needed some air to cool off.”

“Cause’ you’re so hot.” He joked.

“What?” She looked at him confused, she honestly hadn’t heard him.

“Ha, nothing! Well even so, you really shouldn’t be walking out alone late at night. It can be dangerous.”

“Excuse me, but I’m not some damsel in distress. I can take care of myself.” She declared confidently, picking up her pace to walk ahead of him.

Suddenly a stray cat darted out from behind some trashcans. Hyoyeon screamed and jumped back, grabbing onto Kai’s arm and burying her face in his shoulder. They just stood there for a moment in silence. Kai blushed slightly and smiled. Hyoyeon refused to look up, quite embarrassed that she had been scared senseless by an alley cat after acting like such a bigshot. It was then that she also noticed how muscular his arms were and how good he smelled and how warm his skin was. She could feel her cheeks getting a little hot.

“Hyoyeon?” He whispered into her hair. “What was that you were saying about being able to take care of yourself?”

“You shut up!” She slapped his arm and backed away to walk alongside him once more.

It wasn’t long before they arrived at Hyoyeon’s house. She pushed up the window to her bedroom and tossed the bag inside.

“Need help?”

“No I got it, thanks. Thank you for walking me home and for buying my snacks.”

“No problem. Well goodnight Kim Hyoyeon.” Kai smiled and waited for her to climb back through her window before walking off.

“Goodnight Kai.” Hyoyeon waived, and then closed the window and the curtains.

After all that she didn’t even feel like eating any of the snacks. She opened the banana milk and sipped it slowly while lying on her bed. She looked at the drawer. To look or not to look? Walking home with Kai had distracted her from thinking about her hurt feelings regarding Eunhyuk. She didn’t want to worry about Eunhyuk for the rest of the night, let alone lose sleep over it. She finished her milk, brushed her teeth, and then went to bed.

 

_____

 

“You know I tried calling you this morning to see if you wanted to get a hot chocolate before school and you totally ignored me!” Jessica yanked Hyoyeon by her pigtail causing her to yelp.

“Look I’m not really answering my phone right now ok?” She held it in her hand but refused to turn it on.

“Why not? Who are you hiding out from huh?” She snatched the phone and ran ahead. Hyoyeon screamed and ran after her.

Jessica used just enough effort to get a good lead on her in order to turn on the phone. When the screen finally lit up she stopped dead in her tracks. She whipped around and looked at Hyoyeon very suspiciously. Hyoyeon stared at the ground guiltily and tried to slink away.

“Oh no you don’t!” Jessica grabbed Hyoyeon by the arm and pulled her in close. “Why are there three missed calls from ‘Jerkface’? You think I don’t know who that is? Why is Eunhyuk calling you?!”

“Eunhyuk called you?!” Tiffany blurted out. Hyoyeon was so busy trying not to make eye contact with Jessica that she failed to notice Tiffany approaching them.

“Yes Tiffany, please tell the whole school ok?!” Hyoyeon slapped a hand over Tiffany’s mouth and the trio scuttled over to a nearby bench.

“He texted me last night ok?” She continued. “He wanted to explain his actions. He wants to be friends still.”

“Ha! The nerve! Someone wants to have his cake and eat it too!” Jessica scoffed.

“What did you say? Can you be friends?” Tiffany rubbed Hyoyeon’s back.

“How can I? I’m not over him yet…and seeing him with that girl, and they look so happy…” Her lip quivered.

Hyoyeon felt like crying, but she didn’t want Jessica or Tiffany to see her cry. She hated when anyone saw her cry so she politely excused herself and made her way to the nearest girls’ bathroom. Jessica and Tiffany sat there on the bench. They both had very determined looks on their faces. You could tell the wheels in their heads were turning. When they finally looked at each other it became quite obvious what needed to happen next.

“You thinking what I’m thinking Jess?”

“Mhm! Let’s get him!”