03

Player versus Heartbreaker

The next morning, Sehun was reminded exactly why he never drank.

 

Waking up with an intense ringing in his temple wasn't even the worse thing yet. His older brother, who somehow knew Sehun was drinking, last night, had barged into his room, making sure Sehun didn't sleep in and deliberately made as much noise as possible.

 

"Rise and shine, little brother!" he yelled happily and opening the curtain, letting the bright sunlight flood into the dark room. Sehun flinched, his headache and discomfort intensified by a tenfold. "Isn't it such a beautiful day today? I just love the sun!"

 

Sehun hid under his covers as a weak attempt to escape from the merciless power of the sun and his older brother. But alas, his not-so-brilliant plan was foiled by his brother cheerfully pulling his blankets away and throwing his uniform at him. It hit Sehun squarely in the face and he moaned in pain.

 

"Get changed, I'm cooking breakfast for you, my dear brother!" his older brother then leapt out of the room, skipping and whistling happily. Sehun scowled heavily at his retreating figure and fell backwards on his bed again.

 

Like Oh Sehun would listen to that .

 

~~

 

Walking to the gates of the school, Sehun wished for the thousandth time he didn't have a brother.

 

Of course after falling asleep again, his brother woke him by shouting in his ear and staying in the room until Sehun got changed and ready. Sehun then ate breakfast, looking dishevelled and tired (obviously ready was an understatement), without any appetite due to his brother's recent obsession that spurred today which involved singing tacky loud pop songs.

Sehun sighed but winced again, his head throbbing painfully. Even the shades on his face that covered half his face didn't help much.

 

"Sehunnie!" Chanyeol greeted Sehun cheerfully and overly loudly. Sehun hissed in pain and swore at Chanyeol's beaming face.

 

"How the hell are you not hangover?" Sehun grunted, rubbing his temples with his fingers. Chanyeol's smile didn't even waver at Sehun's rude tone to him. He was used to it, Sehun guessed.

 

"Well you know, being able to hold your drink helps." Chanyeol said helpfully and Sehun had to resist the urge to tackle Chanyeol and kick him in the face.

 

Instead, Sehun ignored him and walked away to his classroom, feeling like arguing with Chanyeol wasn't worth the increasing pain of a hangover.

 

 When he entered his classroom, conveniently, Krystal's and Sulli's large group of chattering and giggling girls were seated in Sehun's newly assigned seat.  Cursing and vowing to himself that he would never ever drink, Sehun walked over to the corner furthest away from them and sat down on the floor.

Normally, he considered sitting on the floor beneath his dignity, but when you're hung-over and there's a bunch of loud girls talking about how awesome a party is, you kind of reconsider your position. Sehun buried his head into his hands and tried his best to ignore the pain in his temple.

 

The bell indicating homeroom time rang and Sehun reluctantly got up, every fibre in his body protesting against his movement. He barely made it to his seat besides Krystal before he collapsed onto it, in a big heap similar to a bag of potatoes being dropped.

His headache was so bad that Sehun wasn't even in the mood to flirt with Krystal and had no interest in her even when he was so close he could smell her perfume.  Meanwhile, the rest of the class had filed in and his teacher had walked in briskly.

 

"Oh Sehun! Glasses off!" the teacher snapped at Sehun and he moaned but inside he knew he was deluding himself if he believed that he could wear his glasses in class. Sehun slowly fiddled with his glasses before taking them off, exposing the heavy eye bags under his eyes and letting the light outside the class reach his eyes. Even the glorious genes he had been blessed with could not make justice of his exhaustion.

 

Sehun let out a quiet moan again, deciding that his homeroom teacher really was the devil himself.

 

"Oh Sehun!" the teacher called out, marking the attendance.

 

"Here!" he croaked out, his voice cracking.

 

Another time and place, maybe Sehun would have cared that he was making a fool out of himself but right now, he could not care less. On the other side of him, Sehun heard Baekhyun snicker and Sehun's scowl deepened. Yet, Sehun had no time to retaliate because the teacher started talking about watching a documentary related to the topic they were learning.

 

It seemed like that was today because the teacher left the room to get the television and then the classroom broke into chaos.

 

Everyone started talking excitedly at once, the loud noise drumming into Sehun's sensitive skull.

 

"Goddammit, urgh." Sehun swore, his head ringing.

 

The entire classroom abruptly went quiet and Sehun guessed that the teacher had returned. He was correct when the teacher returned, pushing a small television mounted onto a cabinet with wheels. The teacher pushed the television in the front of the classroom and spent several minutes attempting to turn it on and play the documentary.

 

The teacher managed to get the documentary to play after a few more frustrating minutes and he walked to the back of the classroom to turn off the lights. The classroom plunged into darkness (due to the fact the blinds were closed) as soon as their teachers flicked off the lights.

 

As soon as it was dark, Sehun was once again painfully aware of the fact Krystal was barely a metre away from him. Every movement she made; crossing her legs (which exposed a few more inches of her skin), sweeping her hair and even just shifting in her seat, well none of that escaped Sehun's attention.

 

As a few more minutes passed, Sehun felt an increasing sense of unease and fidgeted in his seat. He was seized by an odd urge to reach over and kiss her.

Sehun's hands slid underneath the table and bunched together tightly, his entire body turning rigid. He was definitely going crazy; perhaps the efforts of the alcohol he had consumed hadn't disappeared yet.

 

Sehun stared at the television screen intensely but he didn't really take in any of the images and he was pretty sure he would not even remember one single part of the documentary. But then again did was the documentary even relevant to the topic they were studying?

 

Finally after what seemed like an eternity passed and the bell rung loudly, breaking the illusion of the silence and interrupting Sehun's explicit daydreams of Krystal Jung. Surprised by the bell Sehun jumped up from his seat and stood up from his seat, careful to 'accidentally' brush against Krystal.

 

But when he was almost out of the classroom, unfortunately he caught sight of Jongin's expression.

 

~~

 

"What are you doing sitting with Krystal?"

 

Both of them were alone, standing in a private area behind the school; the location known to only a few amount of people but also strictly out of bounds to students as well. Jongin stood in front of Sehun; his back turned to Sehun's face and seemed intent at staring at the wall.

 

Sehun opened his mouth but stopped abruptly, unable to think of any reason. "The teacher reassigned me." Sehun finally said, albeit rather lamely and hung his head down slightly.

 

"Bull Sehun." Jongin spat, his tone dripping with anger and jealously. He raised his fist and slammed it against the wall with a considerate amount of force yet he did not even wince in pain.

 

"Look Jongin." Sehun sighed. "You'll just have to trust me; I'm not interested in Krystal and I'm not trying to do anything with her."

 

"Why should I trust a player?" Jongin didn't believe one single word Sehun had uttered and Sehun felt a flash of hurt and annoyance that his best friend hadn't trusted him at all. "You were always flirting with girls, sleeping with them, breaking their hearts. Stealing people's girlfriends." Jongin added with extra venom and Sehun narrowed his eyes at Jongin's statement.

 

"She's not your girlfriend anymore." Sehun replied, his words deliberately stinging and hurtful. "And you should trust me because I'm your best friend Jongin." Sehun added in an undertone, instantly regretting his poor choice of words.

 

Jongin remained deadly silent; his face hidden from Sehun's view and because of that Sehun was unable to form an opinion about Jongin's current mood.

 

"Just trust me Jongin." unable to handle the agonizing silence, Sehun opened his mouth and pleaded with Jongin. "By the time I'm done, you'll have her back." Sehun said. Did Jongin notice the slight pause and hesitation? Did he even believe Sehun's words?

 

"What are you planning Sehun?" Jongin turned around and faced Sehun, his dark eyes meeting Sehun's.

 

"I think it's best if I don't tell you." Sehun muttered, his eyes straying downwards to a crack on the pavement.

 

Once again, there was no reply from Jongin and the best friends that spent their past months together laughing and joking around proceeded to lapse in a tense silence.

It suddenly occurred to Sehun that in the many years of friendship between them, they had never actually had any uncomfortable silences or arguments. His fist clenched tightly when he realised the cause of this was Krystal Jung.

 

Why did most of his problem come from one single girl?

 

For a moment Sehun was seriously tempted to break down on the floor. He wanted to stop his overly complex plan and confess to Jongin about his motives, he wanted to be a good friend and help him get over Krystal without breaking her heart or anything.

 

But he couldn't.

 

With a despairing heart Sehun realised that no matter what, Jongin would never get over Krystal because he had fallen hard for that girl. He had cried over her, he had fought with his best friend for and most of all, he still loved her despite the fact she never loved him.

 

A year could pass and Sehun knew that still nothing in this world would ever change Jongin's feelings for Krystal.

 

And that was exactly why Sehun had to continue with the plan.

 

Sehun closed his eyes and remembered Jongin's glowing face around Krystal. His normally brown eyes would light up and his mouth would be upturned. His eyes would always flicker back and forth to Krystal even when he wasn't talking to her and his steps would always have that one additional spring around her.

 

What exactly was about Krystal that made Jongin love her so much?

 

"Give me three months Jongin." Sehun said flatly, without even bothering to look at his best friend. "Three months and she's all yours." with that parting statement, Sehun his heels and stalked off.

 

Inside, Sehun hoped Jongin would forgive him for what he was going to do.

 

~~

 

"I can't get rid of my stupid printer. And the worst thing is that it doesn't even work anymore." Sulli complained, sighing heavily to her friends. A rush of sympathetic sighs erupted from her friends and they all hurried to suggest ideas to help her.

 

"Maybe you can sell it?"

 

"No, you can recycle it!"

 

"You guys all give terrible ideas." Krystal rolled her eyes at her friend's suggestions. "I'd say go to someone's house, lob it over the fence and then leg it" she added. Sulli snickered and considered Krystal's idea more thoughtfully.

 

"Hey that might actually work Krystal but I just have to think of someone's house…" Sulli's voice wandered off as she pondered about who she should give her malfunctioning printer to.

 

"Kris Wu?" One of their friends, Victoria suggested.

 

"Yeah give it to him. Urgh, I hate him; he's such a ." Krystal muttered, sweeping her long hair back with her hand. Everyone nodded in agreement at Krystal's words.

 

"He's such a player and a tool." Sulli agreed and Amber gave Sulli a slightly reproachful look. However, Sulli noticed immediately and turned to face Amber with a somewhat twisted sneer on her face. "Oh yeah sorry Amber, I forgot you had a thing for Kris." At Sulli's sarcastic comment, their friends giggled and a light pink colour tinged Amber's cheeks.

 

"I don't!" Amber denied loudly and Sulli raised her perfectly arched eyebrow at her. "It's just when you call him a player and tool, it's somewhat hypocritical for you two...” she muttered, her voice trailing off. Even without specifying on whom those 'two' were, Krystal and Sulli knew they were the ones Amber referred to.

 

Their other friends shifted uncomfortably in their positions but none of them rose up to Sulli or Krystal's defences and avoided looking at each other. Sulli looked slightly offended and miffed about Amber's comment but Krystal remained unperturbed.

 

"Excuse you Amber, I have a boyfriend." Sulli snapped at Amber, her eyes flashing dangerously. "I don't know where you get your facts from but I'm not a player or a tool."

 

"You cheat on Chanyeol with Sehun all the time!" Amber retorted back, not backing down from Sulli's fiery gaze. But then when Amber finished her retort she looked down, her face a delicate shade of red with her fists clenching and unclenching.

 

"It's a mutual agreement!" Sulli hurled back her words as if she could justify her actions through anger and forceful words.

 

Krystal tilted her head slightly and looked intensely at Amber's flushing face.

 

"You like Sehun don't you?" she said abruptly.

 

Amber who was about to open and fire back, suddenly froze. A hush fell over their group and Sulli's anger vanished as quickly as it came. Seeing Amber's frozen stature, Krystal immediately knew she struck a nerve and was correct about her guess.

 

"No, I don't!" Amber's words sounded garbled and jumbled as she hurriedly denied liking Sehun.

 

"You hesitated Amber." Sulli rolled her eyes. "Just shut up and spill!" she added, looking excited as a puppy. Amber opened and closed , looking at the eager faces (with the exception of Krystal) around her. Her shoulders sagged and she sighed deeply, accepting that she could never successfully lie to her friends.

 

"Fine. I do like him." Amber looked down, the blush on her face more intense than ever. "It's just I knew him before high school. He was short, cute and he was actually really nice! Even now, he's really nice to me! But as soon as he entered high school, he became manlier and I was like Oh, Sehun…"

 

The group proceeded to lapse into fits of giggle over Amber's wistful comments.

 

"I'm sorry Amber, I'll stop seeing Sehun. He's all yours now!" Sulli told Amber seriously but Amber didn't reply and stared at the horizon with a determined stare.

 

"You should stay faithful to Chanyeol anyway Sulli." Krystal finally joined in the conversation again. Sulli scoffed at Krystal's comment and very patiently explained to her about how Chanyeol and Sulli had a very special relationship. "You mean you're a ." Krystal laughed after hearing Sulli's lame excuse.

 

"I prefer the term high class ." Sulli sniffed and the close group of friends all laughed.

 

A small smile slipped on Krystal's face as she laughed along with her friends.

 

Everyone suddenly stopped laughing and a tall figure loomed before them. Krystal looked upwards and felt her pulse quicken slightly as her gaze meet his.

 

"Hello."

 

Oh Sehun stood in front of the girls, looking poised and darkly handsome. His black hair was swept carelessly back, and despite the dark circles in his eyes, he still looked incredibly attractive. And with his hands shoved in his pockets, he glanced at them coolly.

 

The girls all quickly mumbled quiet hellos and his as they fixed their hair and smoothened their clothes as subtly as they possibly could.

 

"Sehun, what are you doing here?" Amber asked, looking very obviously flustered. Krystal almost cringed from how obvious Amber was and wouldn't be surprised if Sehun realised she had a thing for him.

 

"I need to talk with you." Sehun said calmly. However, Sehun wasn't looking or speaking to Amber; instead he was looking very intently at Krystal instead, his dark eyes poring into hers. "Privately?" he added, stressing on that one single word.

 

Krystal glanced over to see Amber's still face, her cheeks no longer red and devoid of any colour. Amber's knuckles were white and she clutched her skirt tightly.

 

"You can talk here." Krystal said coolly and carelessly as she flipped one of her perfectly straight strands.

 

"Fine." Sehun drew a single breath. "Would you like to go on a date with me?"

 

The entire group went completely silent after Sehun's words. No one even breathed or moved; everyone was staring in disbelief at Sehun. A few moments passed but Sehun remained still, a patient smile on his handsome face.

 

"Sorry." Sehun's eyes widened in surprise and shock at Krystal's words. No doubt he was unused to being rejected.

 

"I don't date players."

 


Author's Note

If you guys are confused on what Sehun said about after he's done with Krystal, Jongin will have her back, it's another aspect of the plan. Essentially after Sehun breaks her heart, Sehun thinks/hopes that Krystal will go running back to Jongin. 
However, all the aspects of the plan haven't been revealed yet. 

Comment and subscribe c:

PS: I do read comments but I don't know how to reply to most of them sorry D: