Things Get Ugly for Umma

Don't Forget Your Mask

Chapter 8:

So...What's your line of work, Key?" Jonghyun asked
The drink I'd been using to try and clear the lump in my throat caused me to choke at the question.
"M-My work?"
Taemin and Minho looked at me questionably. I couldn't blame them, neither one of them knew I work with the mafia. Of course Onew already works with me, so as you can guess it was no big surprise.
"Umma is into entrepreneurship with Jinki Hyung. They always work on the computer." Taemin spoke for me.
That job sounded ridiculous. I told him I was an Entrepreneur? Well maybe it does kind of make sense with all the nice I have.
Why am I freaking out? This is the perfect time to question him! You know, get some information for my mission. Whew, okay now let's calm down...You can do this, Kibum. The girls don't call me Oppa for nothing..I'm a man. Alright...
"What's your line of work?" I asked cutting the spaghetti on my plate.
"I don't really work."
"You don't!? But what about-"
I cut myself off.
I'm not supposed to know him, not His car, his apartment, Hell, not even his favorite color.
"About what?" Jonghyun tilted his head.
I thought of a lie, like the genius I am.
"What about your money? Where does it come from?"
"My dad usually gives it to me, for bills, gas, groceries... You know stuff like that."
He said that like it's normal. I can't imagine anyone whose father wouldn't want their son to get their own things. But seriously, his dad must make some major cash if he can afford to take care of his son like that. Makes me even more suspicious of what exactly I'm getting myself into. His father is rich, and his son sure is worth a lot. This is obviously some sort of blackmail.
Maybe his dad is some judge and the costumer is the bad guy wanting to win, forceful motivation as I recall it.
But who is that judge..that's the question..
I looked at Jonghyun, slurping down his noodles then to Minho and Taemin staring in amazement. Onew sat sulking in his plate.
He's so cute, trying to say he liked someone else. It wasn't even the slightest bit believable.
"Hey Hyung, would it be okay to stay here tonight." Minho asked.
"Sure why not, I have plenty of room." I answered without second thought.
Minho glanced toward Jonghyun then back to me. I knew exactly what he was going to say next.
"Even Jonghyun-Hyung?"
Damn.

I didn't want to have to deal with this but by now it's so usual to let people stay here I can't say no. Then I'd look suspicious. I mean most of the people I've invited here were straight up crazy. Drug users, murderers, kidnappers, big time bank robbers... You name it, they've stayed here. Don't look at me like, "Oh Kibum, you should be more careful! Those people can hurt you." Those people can't hurt people like me. I have what is called word sensitivity. Bending words to make people change their reaction comes naturally to me. And if it weren't for my huge collection of protection, hidden under my bed, being affiliated to this cities most feared mafia organization has definitely saved my life a few times.

I know it's hard to believe, but I've dumped bodies, I've shot people. It's not really my style, but like I said before, money is money.

I may want money, but trust me when I say, it don't use I all on myself. So maybe I've bought a huge house and a nice car, but I swear it's either for my job or for people who don't have things. It fills my heart with joy every time I help someone, even though my job is criminal based.

"Sure."
Minho smiled, looking at Jonghyun once more.
"Hyung did you hear that? Key must like you,.."
The puppy eyed man chuckled.
"Umma has a whole house of rooms, I'm sure you'll find one." Taemin said picking up his plate as well as Minho's.
I picked up Onew's plate seeing that he had pushed it aside, and my own as well.
"Where are you sleeping, Minho?" Asked Jonghyun.
Minho pointed to his boyfriend that was making his way to the kitchen.
"I sleep with Taemin in his room."
Jonghyun began to pout.
"I hate sleeping alone.."
Minho laughed.
"I would suggest you sleep with Jinki Hyung, but he sleeps really rough."
Jonghyun looked around the table his eyes landing on me. My heart began to beat eight times faster.
If he were a dog right now, his tail would be wagging.
"Can I sleep with-"
Onew stood up from his seat and grabbed me by my waist.
"No, I can't allow that."
I felt my face heat up from the contact. Jinki you don't make this easy....at all.
Jonghyun looked tongue tied.
"I-I didn't mean anything by it."
Things like this happen all the time with Onew, it's just that this is the first time he's done it since well.. You know.
"Don't worry their just friends, they do that all the time. You have full chance." Taemin came into the room.
As soon as he said that, I pulled away from Onew. A bit embarrassed.
"Jinki is like an Appa, and Key is like an Umma." He continued
I continued to take the plates into the kitchen. Why did it seem so weird that time? I never paid any attention to it before but now it's like...tingly and stomach twisty. What's wrong with me? I'm not gay, so what's going on? Although I do thank Onew for rejecting Jonghyun for me, it still felt weird the way he did it.


"Key." I heard the familiar creamy voice of Onew from behind me as I began to wash the plates.
"N-Ne?"
I could hear Onew slightly giggling. "Thank you for making dinner."
"Mhm."
Just when I thought that was all he was going to say, he spoke again. "Oh, and the boss just texted me. He said you weren't answering him?"

, , ! I turned around as quick as I could.

"What seriously? I didn't even have my phone."

Onew gave me a reassuring smile. "That's exactly what I told him. Your fine, just call him as soon as you can."

I thanked him before exiting the kitchen and running upstairs to the safety of my room. Taemin yelled something at me as I ran by, but I paid no attention to him.

I picked up my phone seeing a missed message. He did try to call me, He never tries to call me! I wonder what's going on. It has got to do with the case right? What if he sees I let him into my home? What will he think!? I redialed the number, listening to every ring.

What could it be?

"I need you in by the end of the night." His deep voice sent chills down my spine.

And then the line went dead.

Serious? That's all? He needs me to come in? No big deal.. I'll go in when they're all sleeping tonight.

Okay so for now I need to come up with another plan. Back to the computer desk we go. I glanced at the clock. It's only 6:30.. How the hell do you waste that much time? If I go out now everyone's going to see...I just want to go out. Especially Tae, sometimes I think he's the Umma with how strict he is with me going out.

 



I looked at the clock once again.

8:39

I swear if I even hear but one mewl from Taemin's room, I'm kicking that frog out. I've been working on my plans and so far it's all coming together.

It's clear Jonghyun already knows me, which is good and I'm pretty sure he likes me. I mean who wouldn't, I make excellent spaghetti and look hella good while doing it.

Anyway, on account that he likes me, I will attempt to pull the old hard to get. This will be achieved by doing things that set him off, little by little. Biting my lip, accidentally touching his hand, even making him breakfast tomorrow morning, things like that. It's all about what you say too. Instead of saying "I've made us breakfast." I can twist it to make him feel special like, "I don't usually make breakfast, but for you, why not?". Of course, I'll also need to play the hard to get. Reject any gestures of his. Asking for my phone number, to hang out, and so on.

Part 1, using little gestures to drive him crazy, can only be done tomorrow before he leaves. I know it's kind of a tight time slot but Taemin and Minho don't usually leave early in the morning, which buys me some time.

So basically act like a in the morning. No shorts, just an oversized shirt and a pair of tight underwear. I haven't decided what would be ier, French toast or pancakes.... Their both sticky, but French seems exotic. I could imagine myself bending over the table saying "Here's your French toast, baby." Not so much the with pancakes. I'd feel like an old Ahjumma..

French it is!

"Hyung are you thinking again?" I heard Minho's voice. I'd been so busy thinking, I didn't even notice him slip in.
I nodded.
"Well Taemin and I are going to bed.."
"Okay.." I didn't really pay to much attention to him, still halfway thinking of myself pinned on top of a table with French toast and Jonghyun.


Did I just think that?

"Hyung.." His voice pulled me further out of my thoughts.

 

"Ne.."

"I'm really thankful to you. You have a really kind heart and.." I knew he was procrastinating.

"Get to the point Min."

"Well, um- that is, um-"
"Minho."
"Could you maybe go somewhere with Jonghyun? Not like a date or anything, but you know..hang out or something.."
I spun in my spiny chair to get a clear view of him. Does he think I'm crazy? Those are most certainly not in my plans, as a matter of fact "hanging out", is on list of what not to do.
"I'm not-" I began only to be cut off by Minho.
"Look Hyung, I know your not like that but please give him a chance, you'd be perfect for him!"
"I barely know him."
Minho looked at me, a pout becoming more and more prominent as seconds passed. "You sit up in this house all alone, he sits in his. Why not get to know him? Even as friends."
"Minho I love you, your the sweetest guy I know and the only person I trust with Taemin, other than Jinki anyway. But I just, I don't know.. I'll think about it if it means that much to you."
Minho's face lit up at my answer. 
"That's all I needed to hear! Night Hyung, I'll try not to touch Minnie tonight!"

I set him a glare.
"If I hear one peep of dirty sounds from next door, your fingers go to a sausage factory."
Minho just chuckled before shutting the door.
Oh, he thinks I'm joking!? I have five sausage business CEO's on speed dial, try me!! Just one mewl!
I glanced at the clock once again, 8:50.
Why does time tick so slowly when you want it to speed up, and then suddenly speed up when it's least needed? I'll wait another 10 minutes and then leave. Taemin and Minho will be to wrapped up by then to notice. 

Everyone will be sleeping, I'll head down to the workplace, share a few words with the boss, then BOOM! I'm back by 12:00am and ready for plan 1 tomorrow.

I'm happy for Taemin. Despite his crappy upbringing, he actually managed to fine a nice person to be with.

~flashback~

I heard the doorbell ring, surprising me because of how late it was. Slipping into my robe, I made my way down the steps and to the front door, opening it without any thought. Onew stood in the doorway drenched in rain, his coat placed over something, leaving his own shoulders bare.

"Key I need to ask you a favor."

I told him to come inside. As he did I saw that the something he'd had his coat over had legs.

"Who's this?" I said, pointing to the person under the blanket.

Onew uncovered a child, who then instinctively stood up straight.

"I found him wondering around, can you believe it? He didn't even have a coat."

I surveyed the boy. His hair was dripping, his clothes were torn, and what broke my heart the most was his shivering. He looked really young, to young for a boy his age.

"Why'd you bring him here though?" I asked.

Onew smiled.

"Let's take him in."

I have a feeling that when he says "Let's" he really mean Key..

Having a child in my home seems a little to risky for my liking, not to mention the attention they need.

"Please Bum, for me?"

Jinki gave me his cutest, most sweetest pouty face I'd ever seen in the whole history of faces, making it impossible to say no.

"Fine, I'll go get him a room set up."
~~

I spoiled Taemin. That weekend I took him shopping and bought him everything he wanted. Well it was basically me buying him things I thought a 16 year old boy would like. He was so quiet I worried about him. Jinki never told me where he found him or what his story was, but I just decided not to worry about it. If Taemin's happy, I really shouldn't be all up in his business and truthfully, I think Minho will be good for him.

I stood up walking to the closet to grab a jacket. All of my old wardrobe is sitting at a charity bank right now, so unfortunately, no pink. It was for the best, Key, it was for the best. Slipping into a black jacket, I quietly crept out of my bedroom peeking my head out of the slot I'd made in the door.
All I have to do is be a little quiet and they'll never know I left.
After several minutes of tip toeing and creeping in my own house, I finally made it to the front door.

Why am I creeping in my own house? Goodness I've never felt like a criminal in my whole life. But right now, I'm starting to. I grabbed my Keys and shoved them into my jacket pocket, ready to open the door. Until I heard someone coming down the stairs. It was most likely Onew or Jonghyun. Minho and Taemin aren't going to come out for the rest of the night, trust me on that. I decided to just stand there and deal with it, if it were Jinki he'd know I'm going into work. If it's Jonghyun why not get Plan 1 into action?

Sure enough, Jonghyun came walking slowly down the stairs.
"Oh Jonghyun, your still up?" He rubbed his eyes and came closer to my direction.
Oh goodness, you don't understand how easy this is going to be.
"I'll probably be awake for a while."
I nodded.
"Should I make you a snack before I go? It's no big deal."
Jonghyun's eyes brightened, "You'd do that?"
I gave him a smile. My time slot will be about thirty minutes late, but it's worth it to get a little kick start.
"Sure, I wouldn't want you to stay up all night alone."

Jonghyun's smile grew wider. "You don't have to make me food. But is it alright if we just talk for a while?"

It's not like I can stay, past my thirty minute extension. I'll have to come up with something. Jonghyun stared at me, anticipating my answer.
"Why not?" I sat at the dining room table and patted the seat next to me. He obliged, joining me.
"Thanks."
"Mhm."
It was quiet for a second or two after that. I just assumed he was thinking of something to say.
"You really are like an Umma."
"I'm sorry?" I asked
Jonghyun smiled and then glanced at me from the side.
God did he look handsome right now. Not in an "I'm attracted to him" kind of way! I'm simply stating that he looks very nice from the side.
"It's really cute."
My chest began to heat up from the comment. Am I the one trying to swoon him or is it suppose to be the other way? No Kibum! He will not defeat you!

I bit my lip and ran a hand through my dark messy hair. "You think so?"

Jonghyun gave me a look. A strange look, a look that told me it was working. Score 1 for me and none for you Mr. Puppy face. He cleared his throat.
"Why is it you don't date anyone?"
His question shocked me. It wasn't the content of the question but rather the random upbringing of it. Way to hit back Puppy, way to hit back.

"My work doesn't really allow me to."
Jonghyun turned his whole body toward me. "But if you wait to long you'll end up in your 30's and unmarried. Your parents would hate that wouldn't they?"
"I don't know." I mumbled.
"What do you mean you don't know?" He asked.
Suddenly I didn't feel like talking anymore. Am I really supposed to know what my parent would think is right and wrong? I don't know why I took it so personal, I mean it's not like i usually do..just the way he said it.

My parents died quite a while ago. My mother had Leukemia and my father... Well I guess I just hope he's dead, I'm not for certain if he is or not...but hopefully he is. Monsters don't deserve to ever walk on soil.

"It's nothing. Hey I was going to go out just a few minutes ago, I think I'll get going."

Jonghyun's frowned hearing my response. "But I wanted to get to know you more.."

I grabbed my coat once again.

"I'm sorry Jjongie, business calls."

What? Just because everything went all awkward doesn't mean I'm not going to continue plan one.

"What did you call me?"

I played coy.

"Jjongie?"

Jonghyun's face began to turn a light red.

"I didn't know we were on a first name basis, let alone a nickname one." He choked out.

"I thought we were." Before opening the door I'd been leaning on, I sent him a wink making sure he saw me.

Whew, that went well. But of course now it's time for work, we'll make him French toast in the morning. I sure hope that when I go in there to wake Taemin and Minho up they aren't and I really hope Onew doesn't pull me in bed with him. He's so reckless these days and I find my self giving into it more and more.

I unlocked the car door, hopping into the driver seat.



I stepped onto the pavement as I left the car. The building I new so well was the brightest in the block. A fountain in the front and thousands of lights to light it up.
Why is a place like this so busy? Do peoples have no heart? How could you get up and go to a place to request for someone to be killed? It's crazy!

And yet it's my job.

After entering the building, going all the way up to the 17th floor on the elevator and making my way to the bosses office, I let out a sigh. 
We haven't seen each other in a minute.. I wonder if his wife had her baby yet. She looked like she was about to pop, I'll have to ask about it I guess.

I reached for the door knob, pulling the door open.
There he was. Mr. Jo was sitting on his couch staring out upon the streets below.
"Kibum.."
I walked further into the room, shutting the door behind me.
"Mr. Jo, you wanted to see me."
Mr. Jo nodded.
"Yes, I did." He stood up and turned to see me.
"Oh dear I see you've switched up the look." I touched the mess on top of my head.
"Uhh yeah-"
Mr. Jo sat at his desk in front of me. "I'll get right to the point.." He said "I know the file says unlimited time extension, but I'm going to need to limit this one."
Limit? Since when does he 'limit' me?
"Kibum, I know it's asking a lot but that file, is very very important. If you get him for me, I won't even ask for a cut of the pay."
I sat sulking for a second. But came to the conclusion. He wasn't asking me to limit my file, he was telling me to limit my file. I had no choice but to accept it.
"What is the limit staring from today?"
Mr. Jo smiled leaning over his desk, using his elbows for support.
"I knew I could count on my best man! I need it done in about a week and a half."
My mouth flew open. A week and a half? How the do I develop anything in a week and a half. "But sir,-"
He cut me off..
"Let's not forget you've been letting your target into your home. For now I'll trust you on that, but if I don't have him in 9 to 10 days consider yourself...fired."
He didn't have to say it for me to know. I knew what he meant by being 'fired'. He meant firing up the fire pit, and throwing all of my chopped up body parts into the flames. I have to move quickly.
"You may go now."
I gave a quick bow, before uncomfortably leaving the room.

Great, now I'll have to come up with a whole new plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

I guess I should leave an Author's note, considering I never do.  Thank you to those who've taken the time to read this story, I really appriciate it and hope you will continue to stay with me as I write more.

But seriously, there was a spider in my room. Do you know how long it's been since I've seen a spider? Oh my goodness it was ugly, I just had to kill that thing.

SO..Now that were off of that. Uhh, I love you and be safe!