Blaming the Rain

Don't Forget Your Mask

Chapter 5:
I stared at the clock, it's hands ticking steadily. After almost six hours of working on a damn schedule I’ve finally got a map sketched out. I hadn't really noticed how the whole area was quite up class. Can't say that I'm not in upper-class too, given my pay and all...But that's just it. People don't usually live that well unless they have a really high end job. What is a 23 year old doing alone inside of such a luxurious apartment?
Kim Jonghyun...What's your story?
I glanced at the map once again.
It's for sure that he goes for a jog every morning, and makes sure to get a coffee at 'Koopie' so naturally that's the first place on the map.

"You have a lot of free time on your hands Jonghyun..." I muttered. "How are you able to go for a jog AND stay for coffee?"
It's just too ridiculous. He goes for coffee every morning taking his sweet time....if that doesn't scream he doesn't have a job, I don't know what does. And if he doesn't have a job… none of this makes sense! I ran a hand through the blonde mess on my head. If this gives me wrinkles I swear...You’re dead Mr. Kim.
"Umma?"
I jumped in my computer seat, covering the files quickly out of habit.
"Damn it, Tae! You scared me."
A smile danced on his lips.
"Why are you still here, anyway?" I asked
"You said all your children are welcome in times of need..." He pouted
It's hard for me to deny that... I live in a huge house, I have loads of money. Isn't it logical to let people live with me? Many of them I've worked with and were only there to lay low for a few weeks. But Taemin of course wasn't one of those visitors. Poor boy would absolutely hate me if he knew where I worked. Besides, our relationship was much different than that. He was left on the street with nothing....a lot like I was. Looking back, that's probably the main reason I'd took him in so easily.
"I know that it's just... I thought you were going home tonight... That's all."
Taemin leaned on the doors frame.
"I was about to until I noticed your light was still on. Umma will you ever sleep?"
I rolled my eyes.
"Sleeping doesn't make money, have I taught you nothing?"
He shrugged.
"What'd you want?" I pushed, making sure the files were still covered.
"I need you to drive me somewhere tomorrow."
"Tomorrow’s Saturday."
Taemin smiled.
"Please! Just drop me off at work?" He held his hands in an angel like position. "Please???"
I couldn't resist him...dumb kid knew that.
"Fine."
The younger cheered, running down the hallway.
"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"
I wiped a small smirk off my face, presuming my work. After a while, It became harder and harder to focus on the thin pieces of paper and eventually I couldn't help but ease into the oh-so-tempting, relaxing feel of my computer desk.

 



"Umma...” A familiar voice echoed in my ears. "Umma!"
Taemin poked my shoulder.
"Come on, wake up. I need you to take me to Minho."
I squinted letting my eyes adjust to the light once again.
"I thought you were going to work?"
"I'm meeting him at work."
My hands gripped the side of the desk as I tried to hoist myself up. No time to fix my hair or anything huh?
I followed Taemin down the staircase. Before leaving, I took the Keys from the Key holder and proceeded out the door.
"Why did you wake me up so late?" I whined, still trying my best to focus on the road with tired eyes. "I look so pitiful."
He laughed.
"Are you kidding me? You look great no matter what you do."
I'm no idiot Taemin, you’re looking at a master of manipulation. None of your compliments are working. I’ve already hauled my to the other side of Seoul, what else could you possibly want?
I felt absolutely hideous! My hair was a mess, I wore glasses to cover my dark circles, and on top of that I still had a 5 o'clock shadow visible over my lips. I didn't need to look in a mirror to know..
"We’re here...” I said, putting the car in park.
Taemin looked out of the window, and then back at me.
"Yes, Yes we are. Thanks Umma!"
Just as he opened the door something, scratch that, someone caught my eye.
I looked up at the sign of the coffee shop.
"Koopie" My eyes read over the print, nearly bursting out of my eye sockets.
! ! ! It can't be! I looked at the time on my watch, then back at the man who continued to jog through the park.
Either I'm extremely tired, or that was my money exiting his favorite shop. Without second thought, I slammed the car door walking in his similar direction.

The scenarios of new plans immediately popped into my head as I watched him grow smaller down the trail.
Well...it would be too risky to run with him and try to start a conversation, I can't follow him either... Not without running, and that could completely blow my cover considering my clothes did NOT match the whole jogging scene. There's a pen in my pocket that transforms into a scope...I could use that if I can find a tree that showed a good amount of his apartment. The only downside to my plan was that I'd have to climb...a lot.
Examining the sky, another problem came to light....It's going to be damp and rainy all day today...



I must have sat up there for hours jotting quick, sloppy notes on my arm. What he ate, what shows he watched, his pets......and curious enough this guy really made me suspicious... Tell me why you’re always watching your back, Kim Jonghyun. The falling rain, like I thought, made it a little difficult. If he catches sight of me it’ll be impossible to escape. I open up the pen-scope and looked in the apartment once more. Jonghyun was nowhere in sight. Damn. Well that's frightening.
Never take your eye away from the target, Kim Kibum...
I slowly made my way down the side of the tree, figuring that my target had strangely disappeared.
"Ahem." Someone cleared their throat from below, just as my feet touched the ground.
I didn't turn around, no one can see my face....
"Have you been in that tree all day?" It asked.
Still facing the tree, I nodded figuring my best chance would be to tell the truth. This is a lot like being caught by the cops, if things get bad...run.

"You must really like me then." He laughed towards the end.
What am I so worried about? It's not like anyone could guess I'm going to kidnap him... I look to innocent. Not right now of course, with my 5 o'clock shadow but...
"Sorry, I was just shading myself from the rain." Wow, good excuse Kibum, you act like he doesn't already have you figured out. Now you just look like a creep!
"You could come in, if you want."
I turned around now facing, none other than my case, Kim Jonghyun. I'm not going to lie, I thought it was him... And I also despised it being him. This isn't the plan, not to meet him like this...
"I couldn't...”
"But surely it'd be better in there." He smiled "You’re sure?"
"I'll be going now." I said, straying quickly away from him.
My heart was beating a million miles per second! Can't he see when someone doesn't want help? And how the hell did he spot me in that tree?
I approached my car, digging in my pocket for the keys.
That was too close...
Once in the safety of the car, and out the rain I rested my head on the seat. This is an expensive car, and I'm drenched in rain sitting on its expensive seats. I can't afford to catch a cold, so the seats will have to deal with it.
My phone's light flickered, indicating a message was received. I can't believe I forgot it. Maybe Chanyeol has some more tips on that maniac.
But as I scrolled through the messages, my heart shrank eight times in my chest.


Jinki~ 2:25 pm
"Bummie I'm waiting outside ^^"

Jinki~ 2:59 pm
"Where are you, Bum?"


Jinki~ 3:30 pm
"You’re probably still getting ready...”


Jinki~ 4:00 pm
"It's kind of been raining for a while now. Not that I'm trying to rush you or anything :)"


Jinki~ 5:30pm
"If you don't want to go... It's fine."


Jinki~ 6:45pm
"Still waiting, not for the date I guess...but for the stapler."


Dammit! What idiot would sit outside this long? I started the car, slamming the gas in attempt to get home quicker. I hope he's still there. He sent that last message at 6:45...It's 7..

Poor Jinki, he's probably heartbroken! UGH! Why did I have to forget?!
My driveway came to view, Jinki reluctantly sitting on the front steps, his head in his lap. Even without having the change to see him up close I knew his clothes were drenched completely and with the tempurature I can't immagine he's feeling too warm.
"What are you still sitting here for?" I slammed the car door feeling a bit angry with him, for waiting on me like this.
Jinki lifted his head slowly, revealing his red, puffy eyes.
"I knew you'd come, Bum." He sniffled.
"Jinki, I'm so sorry." The anger I'd felt began to fade replacing itself with a bit of understanding. "This completely slipped my mind."I walked closer to the porch, seeing the bright tulips that had now been smashed by the oncoming raindrops. 

"I slip your mind that easily?" He asked his tone somewhat sad.
I'm thinking that he was done trying to be cute, this wasn't a joke anymore.
"No! Look, just please let's go inside. You’re staying here tonight." I grabbed his arm, but he jerked away.
"Just get the stapler." He muttered.
After all this, he still wants the stapler?! I knew he was heartbroken, but I didn't leave him here on purpose. Jinki is too important to me, I would  never brake his heart on purpose.
"I'm not getting the stapler."
He stood up, coming closer to me a bit of anger in each step.
"Why did you agree to go on a date with me, if you weren't even going to show up? That's so hurtful Kibum, you know how I feel about you! I feel…I feel"
His eyes trailed down to my lips. Instantly, I knew exactly what he planned to do. Although it may be wrong, I'm willing to do whatever he needed to feel content right now, I'll go ahead and let him do it. He is my only bestfriend.
He swooped down landing his lips perfectly on mine. A chill shot down my spine making me almost too weak to stand. It felt like everything just stopped. I couldn't hear the rain, the porch lights were no longer visible, and all I could feel was Jinki's hands holding the back of my neck tightly in an embrace. At that moment, there was nothing but us and I knew Jinki would use every second of it to pour out his feelings. It was so nice, that when he pulled away, the empty space created a sickening atmosphere.
"I love you, Key."
It was clear that he did, but never before had he actually said it. In a way, it felt more special to me. He was holding me in the rain telling me he loved me, what's more special than that?
"Let's go inside." I said grabbing his hand, and leading him out of the cold rain.