How Nice Of You To Visit

Don't Forget Your Mask

Chapter 7:
"Umma, you really should get a man of your own." Taemin pushed the shopping cart as I surveyed the shelves.
"Why would I want that? We can't all be gay."
Taemin giggled.
"You’re not gay? What about Jinki?"
I huffed.
I, Kim Kibum am not 'gay'. Something about me just appeals to both genders. Do I use it to my advantage? Yes. But I refuse to ever believe I’m homoual in any way.
Don't you dare say anything about Jinki! Like I've clearly expressed before, the two of us are only friends. And I plan to stay as friends, because I'm straight and I respect Jinki's homouality. However, if I were gay, which I’m not, Jinki would most likely be in my sights...
"Jinki is the only one that's gay...I don't feel the same way for him."
I reached out for the spaghetti pasta tossing it in the cart, Taemin eyeing the package.
"Oh but come on! Hyung is so perfect! You’re totally gay for him, at least."
"Not likely."
We continued throughout the store.
I'm right, right? Using myself to manipulate the same is straight right? It's not unless I have feelings for another guy... This is really something I don't want to deal with right now... I’ll question myself when I’m old and retired with a full bank account.
"Jinki told me all about the other night, Umma."
! ! !
Taemin must have seen the embarrassed expression plastered on my face, because the stopped the cart placing a hand playfully on my shoulder.
"It's alright I'll set him up with someone."
There was a slight pinch in my chest. Someone else?
"Whatever." I shoved the feeling away " He's been staying at my house a lot this week, so why not come over and eat with us too?"
Taemin was always begging me to make food, I guess that making Jinki dinner almost every night this week is making me feel a tad bit guilty toward my son.
"Minho too" he asked.
I sighed. "Frog can come too."
Taemin smiled,
"Umma....We haven't eaten like a family in a long time. Even Jinki's going to be there, it's such a rare occasion."
He's right.
We rarely ever eat together anymore, which was a shame because cooking was something I loved doing. Not to mention the overload of crap this week... It'd be nice to relax and eat together...
Because of my little screw up, I decided to stay away from my target for a few days. You know, let him forget about me a bit. I also dyed my hair. It was a light blonde before I finally came to the conclusion of sporting an all-black hairstyle, more down and in my face. Followed by a new punk-ish, scene type of clothing, I figured Jonghyun would never know it was me.
And that was all I needed.

 



I watched as Minho lifted the phone to his ear but paid no attention to conversation. Instead I continued to Hyun, as I watch the TV.
I've had Hyun for a long time, haven't I? Ever since moving into this apartment actually.
I remembered it like it was yesterday
**
A woman was sitting on the sidewalk, her puppy on its leash, a child in her arm. I felt so sorry for her, it seemed she didn't even know what to do. Tears streamed down her face, as the child lifted his hand to wipe away the liquid.
"Mommy, we'll be okay." I heard him say.
Where is the Appa?
The sight slowly began to break my heart, which is exactly what lead to their side.
I placed a hand on her back, slowly kneeling to her side.
The woman jumped at the mere contact.
"Are you alright?" I asked
Even more tears clouded her vision.
"Please just leave me alone."
I gave her a smile, planting my bottom on the sidewalk.
"Not until we figure out what's wrong."
The woman gave me a hard glare before softening up.
"My husband kicked me and...” She pulled her little one closer "my son out here on the curb."
Her situation was nothing new. When I was a kid, my father did that exact same thing to my mother. The only difference being, my mother was shot in front of my very own eyes.
She still had a chance to start over.
"Is it money you need?"
The woman shook her head abruptly.
"We'll manage, I could never take your money."
Clearly she still had a sense of pride. How admirable...
Anyone else I would offer this to would take it without a minutes notice. However, I know that if I don't help her out things will only get worse. The small puppy sniffed at my knee.
You ugly puppy. Stop sniffing me.
I ran a hand through his back, a realization hitting me as I did so.
"Well if you don't want me to give you money, how about I buy something from you?"
She hesitated but slowly nodded.
"What’d you have in mind?"
I looked back to the ugly dog, petting him thoroughly.
"How about 20 million?"
dropped open.
"For the puppy?"
I smiled knowing I was crazy.
"Look at him, he's about 20 million right?"
"B-But why?" She didn’t believe me
I dug in my pocket pulling out a check
"Your name?"
She quietly said her name as I wrote it down.
"Here ya' go."
Basically, in the end I ended up walking Hyun on a leash to the nearest pet store where I bought him everything a little Hyun could possibly need.
**

I remember setting him on the curb of a rescue shelter only to frantically drive all the way back to pick him up. I'm curious to see how everything worked out for that woman.
My thoughts were interrupted by Minho standing up.
"Hyung I’ve got to go, Tae's inviting me over to Key Hyung’s for dinner."
"What? Can't I come?"
Minho brought a finger to his chin.
"I'm sure he'd be fine with it."
Gosh, I was only kidding Minho.
"Really?" I asked a bit surprised.
The frog nodded.
"Key's is like Taemin's Umma. But not only to Tae, I can’t tell you how many people he's acquainted with. He's just a friendly person to everyone."
"How can a man be an Umma?" I laughed.
"I wouldn't laugh at him if I were you, he'll find you...” The taller man gave me a warning glare.
There's a lot of talk of this ‘Key’...Shall I finally meet him?
"Well let's get going then, I'm hungry."
Minho grabbed his keys, leading as we left the apartment.

 



"Did you invite Minho?" I asked
Taemin nodded.
"He's on his way."
I continued to stir the now tender pasta noodles.
My kitchen truly is something to be proud of, if only my mother could see it. She used to wish for a kitchen like this.
"And he's bringing a friend for you!" The younger winked.
I sighed,
"We went over this, already."
Taemin shrugged shoving a piece of cucumber in his mouth.
"Didn't say that when you were kissing Jinki in the rain."
My face began to heat up at the thought.
"Just make the salad."
Sometimes my son can get a little ahead of himself.

 



It wasn't long until we heard the ringing of the doorbell.
I urged Taemin to answer it while I continue to scoop spaghetti into the empty bowls on the table.
Minho and Taemin walked in, hand in hand hanging off each other like monkeys, while another man came trailing in behind them.
"Come sit, Taemin go get Jinki. I’ll get the salad...” I trailed off into my own thoughts.
In the kitchen, I grabbed the bowl of salad and a few of the salad dressings next to it. Everyone has a fork right? Yes. Napkins? Yes.
I made my way to the dining room once again, setting the bowl on the table and sitting down. Taemin came down the stairs a sleepy Jinki trudging slowly behind him.
I smiled when he'd chose to sit next to me, Taemin sitting next to Minho.
"This is my guest." The frog pointed to the stranger across from him.
I turned a smile plastered on my face, upon meeting the new person.
"Nice to meet you I'm Kim Ki-" my words caught in my throat as I saw who I was talking to.
My eyes have to be playing tricks on me! It can't be him...No not in my house!
Jinki chomped on his salad as he spoke. "Are you alright, Bum?"
Jonghyun blinked seeing me caught in such a weird jumble.
"I'm Kim Jonghyun." He chuckled. "Didn't mean to take the words out of your mouth."
I tried to fake a smile and make everything seem alright but now, relaxing was all but possible.
I could feel the older boy next to me sneer at him.
"Ah, that’s Jinki-Hyung" Taemin spoke up again.
The name still rattled in my ears, ‘Kim Jonghyun'...sitting right in front of me.
Never in all my years of doing this had a file ever come to me.

….