A Smiling Idiot

Don't Forget Your Mask

Chapter 3:

 

-Jinki- 2:30pm

Can you meet me somewhere?

 

I glared at the message, before tossing it not-so-gently on the table in front of me.

Dammit Jinki, now was not the time to be messing with my head. I was currently sitting in front of the only idiot who I could find to give me the necessary information. Thinking about it, I also realized that he was my first and only resort. My other informant wasn’t responding…which leads me to conclude that he’s most likely dead. There’s a shocker. Oh bummer.

 

“So," I let out a long sigh. "Please tell me you’ve found out something about Kim Jonghyun.”

The giant of a man across from me shook his head, his stupid signature grin plastered onto his baby-like face. If I stared long enough, it would become unnerving.

 

“It’s the first time you’ve seen me in months and this is how you greet me? My dear Kibum, you’re oh so rude to me!” was the reply from my idiot of a cousin. His grin was replaced by a childish pout and I huffed in response.  

 

“Stop your whining. Just tell me what I want to know.”

 

His pout became even more evident and his eyes search my face for any sign of relent. When he settled on the fact that I had no intention of letting him off easy he sighed; resting his elbows on the table, and sipping his coffee slowly. It was torturing to think that he had potential information for me to use to my advantage and here he was, sitting in front of me as if were on some sort of friend date.

 

“Well, my anxious cousin, I’ll have you know that I did some…careful observing. You know the café “KooPie” correct?”

 

I nod. The small shop is pictured in my head and I noted that it was a few blocks from my place. From the outside, it seemed fairly decent and it's distinct coffee smell was always present. I guess I never really found the time to go inside and check it out.

 

“Well, it seems as though your target enjoys jogging every morning, and picks up coffee there daily. It’s a part of his routine. Some days he’ll stay to drink coffee, but other times he takes it to-go.”

 

“Wait, you couldn’t find his file?” I question, before letting out a scoff.

“Tracking is a lot harder than you think.” Chanyeol pouts again, and I see his eyebrow twitch, showing that he wasn’t just being lazy about looking for it.

“The guy is more careful than others I've tracked for their personal information that's for sure.. it may take a while…” he concludes after a few moments of awkward silence.

 

I let my mind wander, thinking of a plan.

 

Then, I remember something.

 

“Oh hold up! Taemin recently got a job there! He’s using his saved break time to stop his job for the next few months, so he’ll be working there instead!” I snap my fingers, mentally applauding myself for being such a genius.

 

Chanyeol nods, before sighing, and giving me a hug across the table. I hiss furiously at him and grins cheekily back at me. Hugs were not my thing, especially when they included him.

 

"Hyung, you must have been neglected as a child...I’m so sorry!" he squeals before wrapping his lanky arms around me for another hug. I hit his shoulder, and pushed him away.

 

"I-I have to go okay? This case needs to be organized; no thanks to you."

 

The younger smiled once more. "Oh Kibum, don't act so happy...

" he said sarcastically.

 

His comment was received kindly with a nice view of my middle finger before I left the restaurant.

 

Damn Chanyeol with his affection for skin ship.

 

It seemed as though, as soon as I sat down in the car, my phone rang. I took one tentative glance at it and groaned once more.

 

Lee Jinki was calling.

 

Seriously hyung? Why must you do this to your pitiful dongsaeng?

 

I sighed before picking up.

 

"Key!" He squealed, causing me to refrain from putting the phone to my ear.

 

"What is so urgent?" I half-demanded.

 

The other line went silent for a moment; and it almost fooled me into thinking he hung up on me already, until he finally piped up again, "We’re still on for tomorrow, right Bum?"

I hit the steering wheel, feeling the gear turn in my head. I forgot all about getting coffee with Jinki tomorrow.  I had so much to do, yet so little time. And now the boy with the pretty face was trying to distract me! I finally had the location as to where my target was...and I needed to set up a plan... I…

 

The elder’s voice rang once again, "Hello?"

 

"I told you to be here, didn't I?"

He chuckled, "Surprisingly you did...look Kibum, I-"

My heart did backflips waiting for him to continue. There were so many possibilities of what he could be about to say?

 

“I’m happy you said yes.” Or “I was hoping you’d be mine.” Or maybe even “I’m so lonely at the office, will you please visit me?”

 

But what if it was the three words I wanted to hear most…six if he included my name. What if he said, “I love you, Kim Kibum.”

 

‘Stupid heart, why are you beating so fast?’ I thought to myself, ‘It isn’t like you even consider your feelings for him like that.’

 

 

"I really need to borrow your stapler; the last one I had just disappeared for some reason!"

 

Okay now I'm feeling a wee bit pissed.

 

Just a wee bit.

 

"Really? That couldn't wait? You probably used it as a murdering weapon and had to dispose of it." I snorted, hoping he’d hear the pissed off sarcasm I was directing towards him.

 

Then again, Jinki could and often did get quite messy in his jobs, considering that he gets mostly murder files.

 

"Well if I asked you when I got there, you'd spend a lot of time looking for it and that would take up our time. I know how busy you can get and besides, I'd never use a stapler to kill someone. I mean, not unless it's an emergency. "

 

Wow, at least the pretty boy is honest.

 

"Well okay, I’m going to go now." I quickly blurt out and push the red ‘end’ button. I swore to myself, feeling the heat in my cheeks, meaning that my face was probably turning as red as a lobster right about now.

 

Oh joy.

 

‘Kim Jonghyun, looks like you’ll live to see the daylight until Sunday.’