Confession

In love with an idol and my boyfriend

I threw myself into the sofa, and the TV. It was a late Thursday afternoon. MCountdown was being streamed. Wow, Korean habitants are so lucky, they have beautiful buildings, good-looking students at school, who are even idols! They can see their idols wherever and whenever. They have nearly every day fun shows on TV, they have delicious and healthy food, they have cool shopping areas. I want to live here. I took my laptop from my room, placed it on my lap, and went on Facebook, to write to my left-behind friends.

- Hey, it’s me! I hope everything is alright without me at school. I love Korea. <3

I wrote to my boyfriend.

- Hey Babe, hope you are alright. I tell you, Korea is amazing! It’s the best choice I’ve ever made to apply for the exchange program! And I’m sorry that I didn’t call you, but I was so exhausted from the flight. I miss you, I wish you were here! Love ya <3

I didn’t write that members from Topp Dogg are at my school, that would have caused unnecessary quarrel, and that on my first day being here. I wandered to the balcony to inhale some fresh air, I analyzed the scenery, it was godlike. I was looking down and observed again those familiar people from the morning, but the balcony was too high to see who it was. I ran back inside of the flat, because it became quite cold. Minhyo was staring at me.

Are you ok?

- No.

- Then stop looking at me like that, that’s creepy!

- Can we talk?

- Sure.

She went into the kitchen and made some green tea for us, I took place on the stool.

- I don’t like you talking to Xero.

- Why not? He is quite nice and funny!

- I know. (She gave me a cup of tea) But I don’t get why he ignores me. I’m with him in class, and I liked him already for one year, he just won’t talk to me.

- Oh, I see, now I understand. Have you already tried to make the first step?

- Yes, always! But he just keeps replying in short sentences, and he doesn’t even look at me.

- Well, I don’t know, how this works in Korea, but around my place, when somebody has no interest in some one, then they would ignore him.

- Why? I have never done something wrong…

- I know what you mean, myself, I had been exposed plenty of times to these kind of situations! You just have to get over it, and look for people you accept you! That is one of the reasons why I applied for this exchange program, I wanted to escape from my sad place, to fulfill my dream and come to Korea!

- Good to know.

- Don’t be sad, you are not alone who feels this way.

Our parents came back from work, we talked about the day, life in Korea, life in my country, we ate Mandu Guk, it was delicious, and I went to my room to skype with my boyfriend. It was already 11pm in Korea.

- ‘Good evening, darling!  How was your day? ‘ I asked him.

- Hey, well, somehow sad, I feel empty when we don’t write to each other.

- Me too. But I would say that’s only at the beginning. You will see in a couple of days, we will get used to it! And, it’s really a shame that I’m so many hours ahead from you.

- I hope so. Now tell me, how is Korea? Have you already met Topp Dogg? Hahaha.

- (Oh no, what should I reply? I have never lied to my boyfriend, but I can’t tell him that they are at my school and that I’ve already met them) Oh yes, yes, you know Topp Dogg is at my school, cool right? (I tried to tell him the truth in an ironical way, hoping that he would play the same game)

- Wow, that’s amazing, take pictures with them and send them to me, ok? And say hello, will you?

- Oh, yes, sure, no problem. (Is he being honest, or is he only playing?)

- Is your host family nice? (Thank God, he changed the subject)

- Yes, they are so sweet and caring, you know I even have a unnie! Her name is Minhyo. Oh and they gave me the name Jihyo, since it’s easier to have a korean name here.

- Jihyo? Sounds like Jiho.

- I know right, that’s so funny!

- Uuuh, are you happy? Jihyo? Xeroo.

- Stop it!

- Have you mentioned that Topp Dogg is at your school?

- Yeees?!

- For real?

- Yees.

- (he looked away from the cam, and was silent) Oh I remembered that I still have to do some homework.

- It’s still afternoon at your place.

- So what?

- Well, you have the entire day in front of you! And don’t be angry, they are normal people, just as you and me, and Moffie (an insider from me and my boyfriend).

- Yeah, but you like Xero…

- Yes, but I love YOU.

- You’re so cute. So tell me more about Korea.

Then we talked for 2hours, I got sleepy, and said goodbye to him, but this evening, I couldn’t fall asleep, I was too excited about the fact that I met Xero… and even the others from Topp Dogg, and that I live in Korea. Hours were passing by, it was soon time to get up, and I still didn’t fall asleep. It was 5.30am, nobody woke me up, so I got up myself. Minhyo was having breakfast.