The Glass Shoe Part 8

The Glass Shoe

Ever since they had confessed to one another, the prince and his subordinate had been meeting one another in private secretly.

 

Yongguk often used the time after the guards were dismissed and the royal advisors returned home in the night to call Himchan into his office where they could be alone. Recently, the prince's eyes had dark circles underneath them and he looked more tired than usual. Himchan knew it was because of the pressure from his Father and the country's people. They were all expecting a new baby. It would be good for the royal family and the country's spirit but Yongguk was reluctant because of his relationship with Himchan.

 

"Yongguk, have a child with my sister." Himchan said one night as he was standing dutifully beside the prince with a stack of documents.

 

Yongguk appeared surprised and clasped a hand on Himchan's elbow, looking confused and worried.

 

"Himchan..."

 

"Father and Mother will be happy. The country and the governors are all expecting it. I do not wish to see my sister unhappy."

 

Yongguk's brows creased and his hold around Himchan tightened. Himchan placed his hand over Yongguk's with a good natured smile.

 

"Do not worry about me, Yongguk. I know it is your duty."

 

Yongguk smiled back at Himchan and embraced him in a hug. "Himchan, you are too kind for yourself sometimes. I... I am not a good person for you."

 

Despite the uneasiness and worry for Himchan, Yongguk finally relented after Himchan's repeated reassurance. Himchan knew Yongguk did not want to hurt his feelings and wished to stay loyal to him in his heart but Himchan thought he could be strong. He thought that he would not mind because it was his sister and Yongguk had his duties as a prince.

 

But Himchan soon learned that he was not all right. Upon the birth of the new little prince months later, the country was in celebrations. Yongguk smiled genuinely at his newborn son and the country's princess held her child in bliss. The whole country was elated. Himchan found a smile on his lips as he gazed upon Yongguk but felt a small tinge of jealousy. He seemed more out of the picture now that the prince and princess have a complete family. He was not supposed to be here at all.

 

Himchan was taken aback by the dark feelings he felt but could not deny how genuine they were. He was afraid that one day these feelings might consume him. He did not want to hurt anybody, but he was hurting himself.

 

Sometimes when he was alone, Himchan hoped that he could find a socerer or a witch like in a fairytale book. Even if he had to trade something precious of his own, even if he had to lose everything else, at least he had a chance. At least, the little mermaid had a chance.

 

Even if he liked the happy ending more, Himchan knew that in reality the prince would never really fall in love with a mute girl. How could he fall in love with a girl that could not tell anybody that she loved him? She was always suffering in silence and could not utter a word about her love.

 

She would only turn into foams in the end. She did not belong in his world.

 

Himchan sobbed at the thought and sighed,

 

"But... at least she had a chance."

 

 

 

 

 

Himchan gradually tried to withdraw himself away from Yongguk with the excuse of work. He patronised Yongguk with smiles and himself with tears. He thought it was only right for him to end this especially when he watched his nephew grow up day by day. He could not bear to continue such an affair that tolled on Yongguk's health and after seeing the innocent smile on his nephew's face. He felt like an unclean person.

 

One night when Yongguk fell asleep on his chair, Himchan could not resist the urge to touch his handsome face. He let his guard down for Yongguk could not see him right now. He was tired of putting up a front and he so much wanted to be close to the one he loved.

 

He the prince's face and smiled gently. He spoke quietly to Yongguk and left promptly when he heard a small noise outside the room. As he exited the large office, he was nervous and cautious but the months of harbouring a secret relationship allowed him to keep a facade. 

 

One of the royal advisors came behind him and stopped him with a respectful call of his name. Himchan did not jump, instead he turned gracefully without a single strand of his hair out of place and greeted the governor.

 

"Sir, it is rare for you to have stayed so late at our palace." Himchan bowed slightly, smiling politely.

 

"It is." The man agreed. "I have forgotten something of utmost important for my assignment the next day and have returned to retrieve it."

 

Himchan did not wish to continue the conversation and ended it promptly with a "Goodnight sir."

 

However, the man was not done. "Prince Himchan, I would advise you to abstain from such behaviours."

 

Himchan turned back once more, looking confused. "Pardon me?"

 

"You know what matter I am speaking of. I have a keen eye, or maybe, walls have ears."

 

Himchan felt threatened and fearful as he stared in the advisor's narrowed eyes. He was about to dismiss the matter when the other man started again, hinting painfully obvious at Himchan's affair with the prince. Himchan's heart jumped in fright. He thought he was careful. He thought they were careful. How could this man know? Had he always returned here late and chanced upon them by accident?

 

The advisor caught the nervous look on Himchan's face and carried on, gleefully harbouring a motive as he sought to blackmail the young prince. But Himchan was not a weak personality for when the man went too far with his words, Himchan lashed out with no remorse. 

 

The quarrel soon turned physical and the advisor reached for a nearby vase to defend himself when Himchan had the upperhand. The ornament was about to be smashed into the prince's head when something hard dealt a blow to the advisor's skull, sending the man to the floor.

 

Himchan gasped and let go of the advisor's collar, staring up into his sister's bewildered eyes. She dropped the weapon immediately, swallowing nervously and losing her balance in fright. Himchan took hold of his sister quickly, holding her as they both looked down at the advisor unmoving body, a pool of blood forming around his head. Himchan bent down slowly to check and confirmed that the man was gone.

 

Himchan withdrew his hand slowly and appeared pale, frightened out of his life. His sister grabbed him by the arms forcefully, looking at him straight in the eyes saying, "It's alright Himchan, it's alright." She reassured him with a nervous smile. "We will just dispose of the body. This... this man... I think he was to exit the country on an assignment the next morning. He could just die in an accident out of country, right?"

 

Himchan nodded, dumbfounded but at the same time, afraid at how his sister seemed so different from the kind, benevolent woman he knew.

 

"How long have you been here, sister?" Himchan asked, another fear crawling in his stomach. Could she have learned?

 

"Himchan," The royal princess said, "I knew all along."