The Glass Shoe Part 2

The Glass Shoe

That night when the pair of glass shoes arrived, everyone was bouncing in excitement about the exquisite pair of shoes no young maiden had ever possessed. It was well kept in a box of velvet and satin sheets, cushioned by the softest material and it sparkled like a diamond when Himchan's sister revealed it from the royal shoe box. Himchan was staring in awe and amazement. He was struck by the sheer beauty of such pure masterpiece. The shoes came out from the fairytale book. It looked exactly like the one Cinderella wore.

But at the instant moment when Himchan's sister slipped one of the glass shoes on, it was clear that the shoe was too big for her foot and everyone was disappointed. The royal men reassured the family that a new pair would be sent in replacement and Himchan's sister put back the shoes into the intricate box, mood a tad bit dampened.

That night was the seventh last one before the prince would return to the palace and the wedding would be held the next day. Himchan was a little sad that his muse had to go away days later but that would also mean that he would be able to see the most perfect and fairytale-like wedding in his whole entire life. He couldn't resist the urge to take another look at his sister's wedding gown again for it looked so beautiful and intricately woven. It was fit for a princess and his sister was to become one.

He went into the room where the dress was hung and he marvelled at the glittering silk flowing with the breeze before the window, it was almost as if the dress was absorbing the gorgeous moonlight and Himchan couldn't take his eyes off it. Beneath the dress he found the velvet box where the shoes laid. Himchan opened it and let the moonlight shine on the glass shoes. It sparkled gently in response and with shaky fingers, Himchan slowly took one out to admire. It was the most beautiful thing Himchan had ever saw, so delicately carved and elegant. It's Cinderella, he thought, it is real.

He almost dropped the fragile glass as his heart thumped at the sound of the opening door. The prince was staring at him from the agape door, eyes reaching the glass shoe in his hands. Himchan squatted down to place the shoe back in its place gently, heart racing and cheeks burning. The prince approached him with soft footsteps until he stepped into the moonlight seeping through the long windows as well.

"What are you doing?"

There was mischievous glee in the prince's tone and Himchan tried not to pout.

"I was wondering where you went with my fairytales..."

The prince stepped closer when Himchan stood up and patted his pants with blushed cheeks. He reached a hand over and brushed fingers down the long white gown, luring up the silk hems elegantly. Himchan's eyes followed the movement of those long slender fingers until they stopped at the hem of the white dress. He turned to look at the prince who had a gentle smile.

"Cinderella is my favourite story." He whispered as he gaze down at the slender hand holding the silken gown. "It's the most beautiful."

He felt a smile behind him and then the prince was holding up the moonlight silk to his cheek. He didnt know what the prince was doing but there was a smile on the handsome face and so he let him.

The prince led him by the hand to one of the chairs and sat him down. Himchan was surprised when the prince knelt before him on one knee and pulled a piece of stray silk cloth that must have been left over around his shoulders. Yongguk was smiling and so did Himchan.

He didn't know what he was doing but he found it hard to suppress his laughter when a hand pushed a crystal flower into his hair. The heavy adornment kept sliding out of his short maroon locks and so he took it off and placed it back in Yongguk's hand.

"I'm not a girl." He grumbled and the prince chuckled at the subtle pout on Himchan's lips.

"But you look like one." Himchan could only keep quiet at the quiet words as Yongguk stared into his eyes. There was a frozen moment until Yongguk stood and went over to the wedding dress. Himchan's brows furrowed slightly as he took off the white cloth around his shoulders and begun to take out the necklace on his neck. He stopped when Yongguk returned to his kneel with the velvet box in hand.

"What are you doing?"

Himchan knew what Yongguk wanted to do and his cheeks reddened in embarrassment and anxiety. He didn't want Yongguk to do it because it felt like a wrong thing to do.

Yongguk ignored his protests with a subtle smile and took out one of the glass shoes from the box. He gently held Himchan's ankle but Himchan shook his head.

He gave a reassuring smile and lifted Himchan's foot onto his lowered thigh. Himchan was anxious when his shoe stepped on the precious thigh of his highness but the prince himself didn't care. He took off Himchan's shoe and Himchan tried to stop his hands when his fingers found the sock.

"Just once. Please."

Himchan coildn't understand the childish joy Yongguk received from using him as a mock rehearsal for his real princess and he covered his face in embarrassment when the prince's hand touched his bare foot.

Yongguk lifted the glass shoe and held Himchan's foot gently in the other hand. He slid one hand to the delicate ankle while the other raised the shining glass shoe to Himchan's foot. Himchan's heartbeat was racing like a wild horse as Yongguk held his ankle as if it were a royal possession. 

It felt strange but strangely right when Yongguk slid the glass shoe on to his foot with ease. The prince marvelled at the perfect fit and glanced up at Himchan's wide eyes.

"It's a perfect fit." He said and Himchan could hear nothing but that soothing voice resonating a thousand ripples within him.

"I found my princess." There was a smile in those gentle eyes and a comfortable silence so Himchan lifted the corners of his lips in return until that smile softened and closed in on him.

Himchan leapt up from his chair and stumbled with the glass shoe on his foot. He kicked it off in haste and escaped from the room, heart as frantic as a hunted deer as he raced down the stairs. Yongguk stood in the room, glass shoe lying on the carpeted floor before him as he gazed forlornly at the retreating figure through the bright moonlight.

Himchan ran as fast as his feet could take him until he collapsed beside his bed, crying. He is scared and he is confused, for the man who was to marry his sister had kissed him on the lips that night.