The Glass Shoe Part 3

The Glass Shoe

The wedding was to be held three days later and Himchan spent his time in his room, looking through the same old storybooks over and over again. Every word and line was already deeply etched in his mind and he could almost recite them without looking. But each and every word had its value. Each and every word was part of a story that could not be replaced by anything else. Every one of them was special and Himchan smiled as he closed his favourite book. Cinderella smiled on the hard book cover with her prince who held her hand as they ran down the flight of stairs where the glass slipper was found. 

Himchan's smile faded away as he stared at the blissful smile on the prince's face. The prince and the princess. They both looked happy.

Where was Himchan?

Himchan couldn't find his smile for the book when he recalled the forbidden kiss the prince had placed on his lips that night. He couldn't feel the joy from the Cinderella and her prince's smiles. He could not deny that he was rather upset that the prince was about to marry somebody else days later and that lucky girl was none other than his own sister. He could not say he was not frightened when the prince kissed him but he could not say that he wished it did not happen either.

He couldn't say that he did not love the prince. He couldn't say he didn't feel anything for Yongguk.

But that man was to hold his sister's hand and walk down the aisle days later and he had been the one who wished to see a happy ending unfold before him. But that wasn't right. The prince had kissed him. Himchan buried his face into his pillow and sighed. What was he supposed to do?

 

 

Yongguk didn't have much time for leisure when he returned to the palace. He was overwhelmed by wedding preparations and the amount of work he had to do before he could take over the kingdom. When the royal men and women buzzed out of his large room, bringing the joyous excitement for the upcoming wedding along with them, Yongguk was finally left alone. He picked up his pen and began doing his paperwork. The huge pile seemed to be unending but he persevered on. He needed to be responsible and hardworking to bring prosperity to the nation. He could not be laid back.

As he thought of that, the prince chuckled to himself. His actions had proven otherwise. His smile faltered as he thought of that night when he had kissed that boy with the enchanting eyes. Himchan had avoided him like the plague after that night but he wasn't glad at all when he had to leave the mansion. He came back to his palace, missing Himchan. 

He knew that it wasn't right. He shouldn't have lost control of himself. He was supposed to marry the girl he loved, not fall in love with her younger brother. The pen in his hand stopped and a blot of ink splattered onto the pristine sheet of paper. Yongguk stared as the dark ink spread. What was he supposed to do?

 

 

Three days later, the nation was buzzing with thrill for the grand wedding that was to be held at the palace. The country was eager to see the prince and his new princess. Himchan didn't see his sister since the day before. She had went to the palace to get ready for the wedding ceremony. It was a very important event and the whole family was nervous and elated at the same time except for Himchan. He did not know how he felt exactly but he knew that he did not had the same happiness when he first heard about the news of the wedding.

Smile, Himchan, he thought to himself. It was his sister's wedding and he wanted to give his greatest well wishes to his beloved sister. He plucked up his courage and put up a smile as the family went on their way to the palace. Everyone was talking about the performances, the dance, the cake and the kiss that was to happen that night and Himchan tried to get soaked into the festive mood. It was great, his sister is getting married to the best man in the country, she was to become a princess. Himchan smiled a little at the thought of that.

The King's speech was celebrated with cheers from the people and what followed was the appearance of the prince before the aisle. The crowd cheered loudly and Himchan sat quietly, stunned by the magnificence of the prince. He looked handsome in pure white and the golden sword by his side. His hair was as dark as night and so were his eyes. Himchan looked forlornly at the prince's face until those eyes looked his way and he darted away nervously.

The priest's few words commenced the wedding march and Himchan watched in silent awe as his father walked his sister down the long carpeted aisle. Himchan's sister already looked like a princess. She was beautiful in her long white dress that trailed down the aisle like fresh snow. Himchan smiled softly at the heartwarming sight. It was lovely.

As the prince and Himchan's sister stood side by side before the priest, the people were completely silent as they listen to the sacred words. The question came and everyone held their breathes. Himchan's heart was beating like a drum until he heard the words, "I do." The country was joyous and the people cheered so loudly, they almost didn't hear the priest say, "You may kiss the bride."

Himchan watched as the prince lifted the veil off his sister's face and kissed her gently. The people's ecstatic cries were his and Himchan clapped with a smile beaming on his face. He was genuinely happy for his sister who would now walk down the aisle of bliss like Cinderella. The smile came along easier than he thought it would be and Himchan gave all his blessings when the prince took his sister's hand and led her down the carpeted aisle.

They went down the long stairs just like in a fairytale and Himchan have not seen a more beautiful smile on his sister's face before. She was happy and Himchan was happy for her. It was picture perfect when the prince and Himchan's sister went up the carriage together. Himchan thought they looked exactly like Cinderella's story. Himchan saw the happy ending he wanted to see and he was glad. He sent them off with a smile as the prince and the country's new princess went around the state to greet the people.

That night, when the country was joyous in celebrations with wine and dance, Himchan went home alone and found peace with the story of Cinderella in his lap as the fireworks burst into a myriad of colours outside his bedroom window.

 

A/N: Hi guys, thanks for the encouraging comments and subscribes! Hope the story is progressing well for you peeps so far... This turned out to be sadder than I had planned... I think I have a thing for this kind of fairytale-like/fantasy stories like See You in Heaven. And I started writing a banghim version of The Little Mermaid last year but I didn't complete it but now I think I may want to start again. Are you interested though? Drop a comment! :)