The Glass Shoe Part 6

The Glass Shoe

After that night's incident, every move was careful, every touch avoided. Neither could afford to risk treading towards a slippery slope that would lead them down to the forbidden.

Himchan felt his job getting more and more difficult each day. He couldn't stand the sight of the prince. Everytime he saw the prince, his heart felt like it would stop forever. It was fear, it was trepidation, it was also, secretly, something forbidden. Himchan felt his feet get heavier each day as he followed the prince around, fufilling his duties as an assistant. He smiled in front of his parents who were so proud he was somebody important in the royals. He couldn't bear to look at his sister. He felt like every smile he gave to her was fake. He was afraid he might become something horrible, like a poisonous snake, or the bad witch who murdered Snow White. He didn't want to be a protanganist. He wanted the fairytale to keep going on. He wanted everything to be joyful. He hoped his story was as such.

When Himchan was told he had to travel to a foreign land with the prince that would form an alliance between the two countries, Himchan felt both relieved and frightened at the same time. He could avoid seeing his family for days but at the same time, he had to bear with the presence of the prince. He never knew what could go wrong.

One night, there was a grand welcome party and Himchan followed the prince who went around speaking to the guests of the party. He was elegant and poised, charming, absolutely. Himchan felt himself staring and turned away quickly, reaching for a glass of wine. The prince smiled and told Himchan he could go wherever he wanted and so Himchan did. He wasn't a social butterfly, he was rather shy before strangers and so he went out to the empty garden where there were no chandeliers or pretty gowns, there were only quiet flowers and the lovely moonlight.

Himchan smiled at the moon but it faltered when he recalled the day when the prince spoke to him about the beauty of the moon.

His forlorn figure caught the attention of a passing man and with an accent in his words, he politely coaxed Himchan back into the party. Himchan tried to smile but soon was distracted by the humour of his new companions. He laughed genuinely since a long time and he wondered if it was the wine that made him so happy. Perhaps he was tipsy. But all he remembered was that he was finally having fun until somebody told him he had to go.

 

In the car, Himchan didn't speak a word but the blush on his face was noticeable enough. When they arrived at their stay for the night, Himchan stumbled out of the car only to be caught by the prince before he could fall onto the concrete floor and make a fool out of himself. His line of sight travelled upwards to meet the prince's and he felt a chill up his spine. He tried to stand by himself, apologising, but failed when he stumbled once more.

The prince's chuckle was deep and low and Himchan felt his face get hotter.

"Looks like you were very well-liked by our hosts." The prince teased as he helped Himchan up the steps to a grand building. The other royal guards came forward, nervous that the prince was doing rough work but the prince sent them off. They backed away as the prince took Himchan up the steps himself.

The guest rooms were luxurious but nothing the prince hasn't seen before. He placed Himchan down on the bed, the other man already too tipsy to sit upright. The prince pulled the blanket over Himchan and found himself staring at the face before his own. His heart was enchanted and he chided himself for being weak. Himchan slept, unknown to the situation he is in, unwary of the kiss upon his lips stolen so quietly.

The prince sighed as he brushed Himchan's hair with his slender fingers. Himchan slept like a baby, features soft and calming, lips agape to the greatest temptation the prince ever felt like giving in to. The prince sighed once more and touched Himchan's face. Himchan opened his eyes. The prince was looking at him intently, hand already withdrawn. Himchan was drunk and unthinking, he only felt like smiling when he saw the prince's face. The prince chuckled at the silly grin and felt his heart lurch in fondness.

"Yongguk..."

He felt like his heart could stop when Himchan called his name, voice soft and loving. He felt like he lost his breathe. The prince held Himchan's hand that found the front of his shirt. Himchan didn't speak again but the prince was already fighting the hardest inner battle. He wanted to kiss him again but that was wrong. His mind was drifting to far worst thoughts and he felt horrible.

"Himchan-ah..." He called Himchan's name for he knew not what to say anymore. Himchan responded with a silly grin and the prince felt defeated for the first time in his life.

He bent down and kissed Himchan on the lips, devouring those lips for all they are worth. Himchan whimpered but hugged him with weak arms and the fire burned wilder deep within.

"Himchan, forgive me."