The Glass Shoe Part 4

The Glass Shoe

Himchan never saw the prince again ever since the day of the wedding. The prince and the princess had flew to another country for their honeymoon with the many blessings of the people. Himchan stayed at home during that period of time, indulging himself in the many books in the large library. He almost finished every single of them but he avoided a particular one meticulously.

 

Himchan's mother worried for her child. Why is Himchan closing himself in? It seems that her cheerful son with a permanent smile and a bright nature is isolating himself into a gloomy bubble. Himchan's mother thought Himchan's sister's departure could be the reason. Himchan merely smiled when his mother told him that his sister would come back and visit him and he could do the same too. Himchan's mother had no idea that seeing Himchan's sister would make him very uneasy. Himchan secretly wished he didn't had to face his sister for he had done something that betrayed her.

 

A month passed and the newly wedded royal couple was already back in the palace, busying with their new lives. Himchan's father was contented with his daughter's happiness but worried for Himchan's future. It seemed that his youngest son had nothing planned for his life ahead and so he asked the prince, his son-in-law, for a favour.

 

Himchan moved into the palace soon after, working under the royalties as asked by his father to his brother-in-law. Himchan dreaded that day but he had nothing he could say to reject the offer. He just smiled and accepted it for the fear of upsetting his loving parents and making things difficult for others. As he looked around at the luxurious living conditions granted to him, a newcomer amongst the royals, he decided that he would keep everything inside a secret. As long as nobody else knew, everything would still be a happy fairytale.

 

Himchan worked hard in his newly attained job in order to be distracted. The prince is just so close, yet seemingly very far because Himchan hardly sees him for the prince had many duties to tend to. His sister came to see him one day and Himchan listened to the many stories of her new life. It's really a perfect ending, Himchan thought but he couldn't ignore the dull ache inside when his sister spoke of the prince.

 

The days passed like this and Himchan quickly rose in the positions using his wit and hard work. Himchan's parents were very proud and to celebrate this event, the prince invited their family over to the palace. Himchan sat quietly at the dinner table as his parents spoke with the prince and his sister. He ate in silence while listening to their conversations. The topic soon changed to Himchan's work and Himchan joined in with little enthusiasm but with polite engagement. The prince sat at the far end of the table, the seat for the head of the family and that made Himchan even more uncomfortable when the prince looked his way. In between their conversation, the prince said, "Himchan, why don't you come work for me?"

 

His parents were overjoyed of course and his sister was approving of it but Himchan dreaded every single particle of that offer. He wondered why the prince wanted to make things difficult for the both of them but he agreed in the end, under the hopeful eyes of his family and his cowardly politeness.

 

He, however, avoided the eyes of the prince for the rest of the dinner.