The Glass Shoe Part 7

The Glass Shoe

Himchan woke up with a headache that intensified with the bright sunlight seeping through the agape curtains. He patted down his torso and found himself still wearing the suit he put on the day before, with the blazer missing. He lifted himself off the bed and stood beside the curtains, bracing himself for the glaring sun as he tugged it open. The bright light seemed to have a cleansing effect over him as his headache slowly faded away. He began to recall. What happened to him after he got drunk? Before he could remember, an urgency came to mind. Oh no, how long have he slept? He clambered over the bed and found a clock at the bedside, it read afternoon.

 

He got dressed in his fastest speed, rushing down and startling a few chambermaids on the way and found himself panting as he watched the prince and his royal followers sitting out at the luxurious veranda. He swallowed and made his way closer, head bowed. The royal men turned around to see him, red-faced and looking absolutely embarrassed. They soon began chiding despite elegant and reserved words, "You're late. Where have you been?"

 

Himchan bowed deeply and apologised. He missed an important meeting and he was supposed to be the prince's assistant. He was supposed to be wherever the prince was but he had neglected his duties that morning, forgetting the time and overslept. The prince seemed undisturbed by his absence. He merely smiled gently and said, "It's alright. You needed the sleep. Himchan has been working hard back at the royal palace. He needed to rest."

 

The other royal men didn't say another word but excused themselves as they tossed a look at Himchan who lowered his head with reddened cheeks.

 

"Himchan," He jolted at the mention of his name but quickly shifted closer to the prince who was sitting on a chair, flipping through a book. "You're free to do anything you wish to. We're free of duties today." The prince spoke almost quietly, voice rich and deep and it made Himchan rather uncomfortable as he wrung his hands. He bowed and excused himself.

 

Himchan's footsteps faded away and the prince found himself turning back to catch the sight of Himchan that had already disappeared. He shook his head as if to forget and mocked himself with a short chuckle. The smile on his face soon fell when the memories of last night came to disturb his thoughts. He put down the book in hand and gazed out at the meadows before him.

 

Last night, he almost did something regrettable. But in the end, he thought as he touched his lips cautiously as if it would burn his fingers, he did took something from Himchan. He remembered the kiss he had fallen deep into and his hands that found the collars of Himchan's shirt. He kissed the other man and tasted his skin. He thought he wouldn't be able to stop but he did in the end. He had stopped after a kiss on fair collarbone, gazing down at Himchan's face that he had found to be so beautiful that night. He took flight before he could ever taint him further.

 

Himchan sat down on bed and ruffled his hair. He had neglected his duties and the royal men that came along are going to belitte him, because he's just the princess's brother who took a place amongst the royal men just because he is the princess's brother. He sighed and laid down on a soft pillow. The memories of last night came back to him as he smelled the scent on the the pillow. Last night... He was drunk and he felt something on his lips.

 

He had a dream. He dreamt of somebody else. It was nice and cozy and he didn't feel like getting up or opening his eyes. It was a lucid dream. And he woke up with only the memories of it.

 

 

That night, Himchan was just packing his suitcase, getting ready to depart for home the next morning. The curtains were agape and he gazed out of the window, seeing the moon again. How many times have they met already? He walked over to the window and looked out, spotting a lonesome figure in the veranda. The prince was standing there, looking... alone.

 

Himchan felt an unknown force pulling him, like an invisible thread. And like a puppet of the moon, he followed the moonlight as it tugged his feet towards the prince's tall figure. 

 

He was in a trance until the prince glanced back and smiled at him. That made him stared for a moment, for the prince's smile was absolutely enchanting under the moonlight. How many times had he witnessed this, but he is still as obsessed as before. He felt a little guilty as the thought of his family flashed across his mind.

 

"Care to take a walk with me?"

 

Himchan followed the prince's footsteps, wondering why he seemed so bewitched tonight, and he blamed the moon. As they treaded on the soft grass, the fragrance of the nearby flowers in the air they breathe, Himchan found himself staring at the back of the prince. He was enchanted and he had to admit, he hoped they could stay here longer. Here, where they didn't had their families beside them, that way, Himchan would have to feel guilty less often. He could look at the prince with glances less sneaky, but he knew that wouldn't change anything, for what he wished for was still, forbidden.

 

A fairytale, he wanted to be part of it too. But it seemed, his was merely a one-sided tragedy.

 

"I found this book." The prince stopped in his steps and startled Himchan who was deep in thoughts. The prince chuckled and handed Himchan a hardcover book, the gem on its wooden cover gleaming under the gentle moonlight. The prince smiled at Himchan's look of amazement as the man ran a hand over the exquisite book cover. The prince turned around and continued walking. Himchan followed but his eyes were all on the intricately carved book cover adorned with gems. It was beautiful. The gem was glowing an enchanting turqoise and as he tilted the book, Himchan found a silhoeutte within the jewel. He stared and turned his back to the moonlight. He stared through the beautiful jewel and found the Little Mermaid. He opened the book and on the next page was a picture of the Little Mermaid, sitting on a rock upon the sea, her long hair to her waist with her beautiful tail shining under the moon.

 

"It's beautiful."

 

Himchan's astonishment made the prince smile but he smiled subtly as he gaze down at his feet. The two of them continued strolling with Himchan at the back, flipping through the book written in the foreign language of the land they were standing upon as the prince kept his smile a secret at the front. The prince was glad Himchan liked the book. Himchan always had a weak spot for fairytales.

 

As they reached the lake, Himchan had reached the end of the book, scanning through the beautifully drawn pictures. The book he held had a melancholic ending. It wasn't the version he liked. And all of a sudden, he felt emotions taking over as if he could feel the sadness of the Little Mermaid as she turned into bubbles and went to the skies. Himchan always wondered if she truly wished well and bliss to her prince and the prince's lover. Himchan felt for the Little Mermaid who gave her all for the one she loved but didn't receive happiness in the end. The story stirred something inside his heart and he had no idea when the tears fell from his eyes.

 

"Himchan..."

 

The prince had stopped before him but he was too engrossed to know. Himchan halted his steps urgently and wiped at his wet eyes, apologising for his abrupt behaviour. And tonight, the moon was truly tugging its strings for the prince reached his hand and touched Himchan's cheek, looked at those eyes he found so enchanting and then he was falling again. He leaned forward and startled the other man. The book dropped with a thud as Himchan backed away.

The lake was with the moon's plotting scheme tonight as it glowed with the mischief of the moonlight. Himchan took each step back in retreat whenever the prince took one forward. The prince's eyes were shining the gentleness of the moon as Himchan backed towards the direction of the moon, his shadows casting a curtain over the prince. The look of longing in the prince's eyes was as soft as the lakewaters that night but Himchan's heart was beating like a wildhorse freeing itself from the unnatural confines of a saddle. As he backed away, Himchan couldn't look away from the prince's face and before the both of them knew, Himchan gasped and lost his standing, foot slipping off the edge of the lake and into it.

 

"Himchan!"

 

The lake's surface was laced with violent ripples and the moon joined in the gleeful taunt as it made the ripples shine with its light. Himchan shivered in the cold lakewater, his clothes stuck to his skin in a sickening way as he resurfaced and gasped for air, absolutely perturbed. But as he slowly regained his composure, the water before him rippled violently once again. He covered himself from the splashes but to no avail as another wet figure appeared before his eyes. The prince, looking as pathetically wet as he was, was staring at him with wide eyes, water dripping from his plastered hair.

 

Himchan was nervous but then, he laughed. He laughed as hard as he could for somehow, it was the most amusing thing he has ever seen. Suddenly, all the stressful composure he had to maintain before the prince was released and he just laughed, the water rippling around him. The prince was shocked and a little angry at Himchan whom he had tried to save from plummeting into the water, but as Himchan chuckled heartily without a care at all, without a care that he was the prince and Himchan was his subordinate, the prince joined in the laughs as well.

 

Himchan slowly began to quiet down and his mind slowly seeped back into reality. He covered his mouth for he had mocked the royal prince himself. Seeing Himchan's silence, the prince stopped as well but the wide grin remained on his face. Himchan was obviously afraid that he would become furious and the sight made his heart flutter ever so slightly. To him, for Himchan to laugh so genuinely before him, was a precious gift.

 

Himchan had no idea what to say now that he had gotten into so much trouble. He looked down, the lake's surface dark as the night. Before he knew it, there was a kiss on his lips and arms came to find his waist under the water, languidly and softly and he closed his eyes and let it be.

 

Neither of them cared what would happen next but what mattered was the present. They embraced each other into the cool lakewater and kissed truly for the first time. Maybe it was the moon, Himchan thought. Everything seemed stranger than usual tonight. They parted their lips and gasped for air, hot breathes fanning over one another's face as Yongguk held Himchan close to himself. Nobody spoke a word. It was a thrilling and frightening experience. They could be discovered, drenched to their bones and doing something... they are not supposed to do.

 

Yongguk turned back to look at the grand building and its bright windows. They have walked a distance away and there is nobody around here in the dark. Yongguk turned back and smiled at Himchan. 

 

"I hope nobody saw us."

 

"We... We shouldn't have done that... I..."

 

"Please don't tell me you're sorry, Himchan. I don't want... I don't want this to be just a mistake."

 

Himchan shook his head. "That was wrong... I... I'm sorry... That was..." Himchan couldn't let himself finish. He started treading towards the bank but before he could grab the grass and hoist himself out of there, a hand stopped him. Himchan lost his balance when the hand tugged him back into the waters and pinned him against the muddy banks of the lake. The moon casted a shadow over the prince's eyes and it made Himchan afraid, afraid of the things he couldn't foresee.

 

"Himchan, this is all wrong in everyone's eyes, but I can't deny that fact that I love you."

 

Himchan felt a tear slip down his wet cheek and Yongguk's hands found his shoulders.

 

"I don't love your sister at all when I married her." It came out a hoarse whisper, almost trembling, like telling a shameful secret. "I just had to marry someone to make my parents happy. Fufill my duties..."

 

He took another deep breathe.

 

"But who knew? The girl I married brought me to the one I truly love!"

 

He chuckled but it didn't sound very happy. Himchan felt his vision get blurry once more.

 

"I don't want to betray my sister. I love her."

 

Yongguk looked into Himchan's eyes, feeling like his heart was about to jump out of his chest as Himchan whispered, "But I love you too..."

 

Yongguk pulled him close and crashed their lips together. The water rippled as Himchan grabbed Yongguk's shoulders when the other man's lips grew more aggressive. Himchan gasped when he felt something foreign in his mouth. Yongguk slipped his tongue into Himchan's mouth, exploring the sweet cavern for all its worth and he felt his cheeks burn a fire that travelled down his entire body. Himchan shivered against Yongguk as their bodies got closer with Yongguk pressing him up against the bank. He had never done anything like that before. All the intimacies of passion that boys his age talk about were all foreign to him. He preferred to stick to his books. Yongguk's heat and touch were like a blazing fire and it made his head spin. 

 

Himchan arched his neck as Yongguk's kiss became more forceful. He gasped for air but Yongguk didn't let him go for long. Yongguk held him so tight, Himchan felt like he couldn't breath but he didn't mind it at all. Yongguk and bit his lip as they closed their eyes and felt each other's lips. 

 

"Yongguk..."

 

"Let's get out of here, first..." Yongguk grinned at Himchan who chuckled at the piece of cattail Yongguk lifted off the water.

 

They climbed out of the lake, stumbled as they laughed. Himchan stopped to grab the Little Mermaid as Yongguk tugged his hand. Yongguk took Himchan by the hand and the both of them came closer to the lighted building where they would stay for one last night before returning home. Himchan jerked Yongguk's hand nervously.

 

"We are going in this state?"

 

Yongguk smiled and ran a hand through his wet hair. "Don't give us away."

 

He let go of Himchan's hand and strided towards the veranda, sliding open the glass door and beckoned for Himchan to come closer. Himchan followed timidly, heart racing like a frightened deer as Yongguk stepped onto the cool marble floor, looking as composed as his usual self. A royal guard came running along and Yongguk merely smiled, saying that he lost his footing and fell into the lake and how unpresentable of him it is. The servants brought clean towels over immediately and Himchan received one with his head bowed low. Yongguk chuckled and said he pulled Himchan into the lake as well when the kind man tried to save him the pathetic state.

 

Himchan followed Yongguk's sly glance and went upstairs with the prince who later dismissed all his servants and guards. They both stood out at the corridor for a moment as everyone left except the both of them and Yongguk grinned at Himchan, like a child who escaped home to watch the fireflies in the field at night without his mother knowing. He opened his door and took Himchan's hand gently, pulling the younger man towards himself as he slyly closed the door behind himself. Both of them are covered in mud and soil, wet to their toes but Himchan never looked more gorgeous to Yongguk. He kissed him for another time and backed a helpless Himchan into the bathroom where the marble floors almost had them slip like fools. Yongguk took the book from Himchan's hand and laid it beside the sink. He cupped Himchan's cheek and kissed the other's lips.

 

As they held each other for one night, the Little Mermaid sat quietly without a word, her tail sparkling as the moon shone.

 

 

 

That was a long long long update hahahaha. Hoped you peeps enjoyed it!

btw you guys were bad... what made you think yongguk would do bad things to himchan!!?!

Bad people you all