Snow Seohyun

If She Owned The Weather

 

 

 

She laid down on the white as white could be sheets of her bed. Her room was decorated in all white. She just sat down on the floor. Looked up and watched as she splept peacefully in what seemed clearly a kingdom of white. She slept so peacefully. She seemed just like a baby resting. That's when she knew. She understood the kind of person she was, the innocence she had. And maybe just maybe that's what made her fall in love with her. Maybe that's why she innocently and peacefully watched as she slept. She felt calm as she watched her sleep. She felt like nothing would ever change at right this moment. Like she could watch her sleep until forever.

She rested her head beside her and slowly so very slowly, Closed her eyes.

 

One year earlier

 

Seohyun was a girl who lived in Pyeongchang a county in the Gangwon province. 180 Kilometers away from the capital city.
It was a choice that unfortunately Seohyun hadn't made for herself...living here. But the truth is that she loved it here.
You see...Seohyun was slowly...dying. Knowing that her parents thought the best for their daughter would be going to a place where the harms of pollution would not get her. She still remembers the day, the day that the doctor had told her about it. She sat with her mother in that small office. She looked at the X-rays. She could definetly see something. Then he told them what it was...Seohyun didn't want to believe it. But it was the truth.
She had lung cancer. She had never smoked in her short lifetime...but it seems it was genetic. She remembers how she cried that day. How she could not stop crying, even as Sooyoung and Taeyeon took her to Pyeongchang.

Seohyun remembers the reason she stopped crying. As they drove inside the village in which they lived, she looked out the car window. What she saw was the most beautiful thing she could've ever seen in her life. It snows in Seoul, but it's different seeing it in the city than seeing it here...in nature, at the mountain itself.
It was a sea, a carpet, a cover of white. It was beautiful.

-"Stop the car" Seohyun said.

-"But miss" Sooyoung said.

-"Stop it!" Seohyun ordered.

Sooyoung pulled over. Seohyun opened the door and got out. She walked for a while. Taeyeon followed her suite.

Seohyun walked on a small path, through the trees and bushes now covered in a beautiful and pure mantle of white. 

Taeyeon lost track of her. She walked back to the car, to ask for Sooyoung's help.
Seohyun looked back and didn't see Taeyeon she feared the worst...maybe she was lost?

-"Aish..." Seohyun said.

Seohyun walked a bit further, she passed through the bushes. She was startled as a person was there.
A girl, she was taking pictures of the mountain, and the slopes that were close to them. Suddenly the girl sat on the ground and looked at the mountain smiling.

-"Excuse me" Seohyun said.

-"Ahhh!" The girl was startled that Seohyun was there.

 

-"Yuki-onna! Yuki-onna!" The girl suddenly screamed.

-"Yuki? Onna?" Seohyun asked.

-"Oh...wait, I think that's Japanese" Seohyun said.

Seohyun started to cough. She coughed without stopping. Suddenly the girl started worrying for her. Seohyun kneeled her cough wouldn't stop.
Then a tint of red stained the pure white snow at her feet. Seohyun suddenly passed out.

The girl grabbed Seohyun, bridal style. For someone of her size it was quite impressive the ammount of strenght that she had.
 

Present


Seohyun opened her eyes.
She looked beside her. It was this same girl, this same girl had saved her. Im Yoona, the person she loved most on this earth, the person she loved more than her life. She looked at her, as she slept peacefully beside her. She fondled her hair.
Seohyun started to cry, she was trying not to but...it was so difficult. She knew what was going to happen. She just didn't knew if Yoona would ever forgive her for what she was about to do. 

-"I'm sorry Yoongie..." Seohyun said.

-"About what?" Yoona said with her eyes closed. A smile forming across her face.

-"Huh...nothing" Seohyun said as she quickly cleared the tears from her eyes.

 

Yoona was a girl who worked together with the dream program at the Dragon Valley, transforming Pyeongchang into the city of the 2018 winter games.
She was...Seohyun's strenght, her spirit, her support and she loved her deeply, she doesn't know if she would've lasted so long if weren't for Yoona. But the truth is that...now...it was time to go. Yoona didn't know about it. Seohyun only told her she had...a fragile body. Nothing more...

 

-"How are you feeling today?" Yoona asked as she embraced Seohyun.

-"Fine" Seohyun said as she smiled.

-"I love you" Yoona said.

-"I know you do" Seohyun said.

Seohyun kissed Yoona. They just stayed there for a while. Talking and laughing at some of the things they said.
How Seohyun wished so hard that she didn't had to leave, how she wished that her condition was different. But nothing she wished or wanted could ever be. So Seohyun knew, this was probably the last time she was going to see Yoona.

-"I want to go somewhere" Seohyun said.

-"Where?" Yoona asked.

-"The place where we met" Seohyun said.

-"Okay. Why now?" Yoona said.

-"C'mon just take me there~" Seohyun said cutely.

-"Okay, okay, miss snow" Yoona said.

-"Miss what?" Seohyun asked.

-"Nothing...nothing" Yoona said.

 

They both got up and got ready. Yoona grabbed Seohyun's hand, they both walked through the village and then a path through the mountain. 
Seohyun will never forget, how beautiful it was. A lake was frozen and the snow covered the margins. It was simply beautiful how the white could transfrom the environment. Suddenly Yoona stopped. 

-"Ladies first" Yoona said as she pushed some bushes aside.

-"Yah! I'm a lady too" Seohyun said as gave Yoona knock on the head.

-"I'm the man in this relationship!" Yoona said.

-"Ah! You wished" Seohyun said.

They both looked at each other and laughed. Seohyun grabbed Yoona's hand and they both went through.
It was beautiful...the snow, the mountains and the slopes, everything was just the same as that day when they met.
The snow even appeared to be brighter.

-"Yoongie" Seohyun said.

 

-"Remember the day we met? What did you call me then?" Seohyun asked.

-"Ahh! Yuki-onna" Yoona said.

-"That's what you are" Yoona said laughing.

-"I don't understand, is that bad? Good?" Seohyun said.

-"Oh? Okay. Yuki-onna is a woman of Japanese legends, it's said she appears related to Snow and Snowstorms, she is a beautiful woman dressed in white and with hair as black as the night. When I saw you that day...you seemed to fit the description" Yoona said.

-"First thing you thought when you saw me...I'm a mythical creature?" Seohyun said as she laughed.

Yoona hugged Seohyun.

-"I'm sorry...I don't want to leave" Yoona said.

-"You have to, it's your job" Seohyun said as she did her best to hide her own tears, she knew this was the last time she would see her.

-"I'll be back...as fast as an avalanche"  Yoona said.

-"I know you will" Seohyun said as she kissed Yoona deeply and passionately.

Yoona left a bit after. Waving goodbye to Seohyun.

3 days later.

Yoona arrived in Pyeongchang early in the morning, she ran as fast as she could to Seohyun's house. She...was confused.
There were many people dressed in black. Some of the villagers were among those people. Yoona walked amongst the sea of people.
Sooyoung was beside Seohyun's picture. Two black lines on the top of the picture. Yoona's eyes just instantly let out tears. She kneeled on the floor in front of the picture.

-"Noooooooooooo!" She let out as she cried.

Yoona put her own arms arround her and cried. She just cried, she let out wails, she let out the sounds of pain. Not physical but the emotional.
Some of the villagers helped Yoona back up. Seohyun's parents walked to Yoona.

They hugged her as strongly as they could.

-"Thank you, I heard everything from Sooyoung...thank you for loving my daughter to the end" Seohyun's mother said.

They then explained to Yoona that Seohyun had been suffering from Lung Cancer for 2 years now and that she was even living longer than the expectations. They believed that was because of Yoona. Her love kept her around for just a little while longer. Sooyoung accompanied Yoona. They walked to the place where they had both met. They scattered her ashes in the wind. At the snowy mountain and slopes she loved so much to see.

Sooyoung drove Yoona back to her house. 

-"Miss Im, the late lady told me to give you this" Sooyoung said as she gave what it seemed like a painting to Yoona.

-"Thank you" Yoona said.

-"Not at all" Sooyoung said as she hugged Yoona and then left.

Yoona got inside her apartment. She ripped the paper wrapping arround the painting. A small evenlope fell off. 
She grabbed it.

"To Yoona" It read.

"My Yoongie, I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it's just that I was afraid that you would leave me if you knew I was dying...
I hope you treasure the place I loved so much, keep these mountains as white and as pure as they have always been...I loved you deeply, I loved you more than I could even love myself, I hope you understand that...I...I'm sorry, I'm sorry I had to leave like this. I want you to know that I take you in my heart with me. I remember you telling me the story of Yuki Onna, the woman of the snow. So here is a gift to you, so you can always remember me and our love" 

"With love Seohyun"


Yoona let out tears. She looked at the painting and cried even more.
A girl much seemingly like Seohyun sat on the margins of a frozen lake. Her reflection on the water was pure light, the lake wasn't frozen but still the margins were as white as snow. And the girl seemed to be waving. 

As Yoona looked at the picture she knew. She understood. If she could own it, if she could control it.
If Seohyun owned the weather...she would be the reason behind snow.
So innocent and so pure as the white snow that falls and ever so beautiful as it's unique flakes. 
Too bad her snow had melted from the earth but never in Yoona's heart.
 

 

 

THE END