First Cup

That Same Old Coffee Shop

Just like any other afternoon, I walked myself into the usual coffee shop that I had been visiting for almost 4 months now. I ignored the looks from the employees as I walked towards my usual seating, which was a booth in the leftmost corner of the shop. Placing my bag onto the table, I took my seat and sighed, exhausted from the amount of studying I had been doing for my exams. I swear the school was trying to kill their students from forcing us to memorize lines and formulas from textbooks. Half the things we’re studying about doesn’t even pertain to what I want to do in life. How does learning formulas for triangles help me with becoming a writer? I shook my head, not wanting to think about school right now, and took my wallet out of my bag to order myself a cup of espresso.
As I got in line, the door opened and a group of people entered in, laughing and smiling at each other. It only took me a second to see that the group of people were students had the same uniform I had on and were in the same grade level as me, but different classroom. Before I could look away, I was spotted by a person in the group. He held my gaze and lifted the corners of his lips, greeting me with a smile. I stiffened at his gesture and looked away as if we had never made eye contact. As I ordered, I could hear the group of students talking loudly. Their voices were so full of happiness that it made me wondered how they could so happy when the school was practically shoving study materials into our brains.
Once my drink was done, I walked back to my table and ignored the group of students whom were all still drowning in smiles. Maybe their homeroom teacher is more lenient, I thought to myself as I sat down. Then again, the more lenient a teacher was, the more the class grade average would be lower. With my back against the booth, I took a small sip of my coffee and immediately pulled the coffee away from my lips at the sudden burn. I placed the cup onto the table and decided to let it cool while I write in my notebook. Though I don’t know if I would get any big with my writing, it didn’t hurt to at least start writing a form of literature.

I spent the next hour at the coffee shop writing and sipping on my coffee. There was no better way for me to spend my time than doing this. I could let my emotions out through my writing and sip on a drink which calmed my senses.

“You write,” a voice sounded from beside me, startling me. I looked up and saw that it was the guy from earlier; quickly, I closed my notebook. He gave me a heartfelt smile and pointed a finger at my clothes, “we go to the same school, don’t we?”
I don’t answer him and began to pack up my things. Why did he suddenly start talking to me when we weren’t even in the same class nor did we know each other?
“Do you go here often?” He asked another question.
I stood up from the booth, slung my bag over my shoulder, and avoided any eye contact with him as I made my way out of the booth. Before I could completely get out of the booth, he blocked me from doing so.
“Don’t you think you should answer people when they ask you a question?”
I sighed and looked up at the dude, “No,” I pushed him out of the way and began to make my way towards the exit, but I could hear him trailing from behind. Once I was out of the coffee shop, I stopped walking and turned to look at the guy. He smiled goofily at me and raised his brows as if waiting for me to say something to his liking. Instead, I turned back around and began walking home which it seemed he had ceased to follow me.

-

A yawn escaped my lips as I stared blankly at the board as the teacher wrote characters of English on it. After she finished writing, she turned to look at the class and asked if anybody could read what she had written. Of course no one raised their hand, which resulted in the teacher to pick someone to read it. She scanned the room and soon she found her victim. I looked over and saw that she had picked the new transfer girl who was smart but very quiet. This should be interesting, I thought to myself and anticipated on the girl to raise her voice as loudly as she could. I could see the girl’s hand trembling as she stood up; her lips mimicked her hands in a way.

“T-The way you see life differs from how another sees l-life. One can have an immediate negative thought but another can have the o-opposite thinking.” She read and immediately sat back down, probably glad that she had read that with little difficulty. I looked at the board and thought about the two sentences. The only question that came to my mind was: why would the teacher write those two sentences? Was she trying to teach us how to become psychologists?

After class, everyone had left the classroom except for the girl who had to read the lines on the board and me. I wasn’t doing anything special later on so I figured that I was in no hurry to leave. However, before I left the classroom, I looked over at the girl and was curious as to what she was doing. To be honest, I don’t even know what her name is—well, to be technical, no one did. Apparently, her parents had move to this city for some work reasons, so when she got here, everyone already had their circle of friends so there was no way she could fit in. But I guess if I were her, I wouldn’t worry too much about it since this was her senior year here.
As I slung my bag over my shoulder, a familiar voice called out a name—not mine of course. I looked up and was surprised to see that it was the guy from last night. My body stiffened; my feet felt as if they were glued to the ground, unable to move at all. What was he doing in here? I watched as the guy smiled and walked into the classroom towards the girl. They knew each other? The guy placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder, which surprised her as she looked up to see him standing next to her.

“Surprised you?” He chuckled and picked up her bag, “You ready to go?”
She nodded and got off her chair to stand. She pulled strands of hair behind her ear, revealing half of her face that I felt that I had never seen before. I was surprised that she even looked prettier than I thought she did. Oblivious to how long I had been standing here the male’s attention was suddenly on me and he waved at me. I turned my head the other way, fixed my bag on my shoulder, and walked out of the classroom before they could. As I exited the school, I wondered what the relationship between the two were. She was new and I knew for sure that he had been going to this school for a while now.

Maybe they’re dating, I thought, having come to a final conclusion. It would make sense since he had come to our classroom to wait for her and even helped carry her things for her.

I shook my head, throwing away any more thoughts of the two, and began to make my way towards my usual place.